GUILTY CA - Paul Pelosi, the speaker’s husband, violently attacked after assailant broke into their SF home, Oct 2022 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

No bail? I thought that everyone was eligible for bail, except for the most heinous crimes, such as child murderers. Hmm, waives hearings. Why am I not surprised?
Can't help but wonder what if the attacked person was just someone else and not a Pelosi.

Do suspects get bail when they waive hearings? I'm not sure.

I do consider attempted murder by hammer (right in front of police) to be heinous, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was denied bail, but the article doesn't say it was denied. He might still be eligible. He just hasn't participated in the process to get it maybe? MOO.

Would they give a person bail if they were a known risk to the safety of others?

Asked by CNN’s Erin Burnett about the suspect’s alleged plans, [DA] Jenkins said that “there were other public officials that were apparently targets of his, and obviously he showed up at the speaker’s house first.”
Suspect in Paul Pelosi attack

A judge can deny bail in the following cases:
  • violent felonies if there is a substantial likelihood that release would result in great bodily harm to others ............
When Can Bail be Denied Altogether?

Can't help but wonder what if the attacked person was just someone else and not a Pelosi.

Well, considering the attending officers weren't even aware they were at the home of the Speaker of House, then I presume they treated the assailant as a person who had just broken into a home and attacked the homeowner.

If your question is related to why the assailant waived their preliminary hearing, it's usually to prevent the prosecutor from adding additional charges and preventing any evidence that could affect their bail status.

Nothing would be different. No reason it should be. This person allegedly committed a heinous act by beating an old man in his head with a hammer when the man's only crime was sleeping in his own bed. The perp allegedly had other targets within government, he planned to abduct and torture the person 2nd in line to be the President. I mean, I think this guy got off light thus far, considering.

Why would you wonder that?

What "just someone else" would be the Speaker that was the focus of the violent mob attack on the U.S. Capitol, 1/6/21, her office ransacked, the people's work scattered and destroyed, now her husband attacked in their home and being vilified by outright false statements?

There is not a “just someone else" comparable to the Pelosis.

All imo

Why would you wonder that?

What "just someone else" would be the Speaker that was the focus of the violent mob attack on the U.S. Capitol, 1/6/21, her office ransacked, the people's work scattered and destroyed, now her husband attacked in their home and being vilified by outright false statements?

There is not a “just someone else" comparable to the Pelosis.

All imo

I can't help but feel like I'm missing the thing(s) that are not being said out loud. Who is vilifying PP and what false statements are you referring to?

Okay thanks. I was under the impression you meant folks here doing these things. While PP is most certainly a victim in this situation (and it horrifies me thinking what it must have been like to be hit in the head with a hammer) I think folks with questions about the way the media covered this, are completely entitled to those questions (I had some of the same questions at first, based on initial reporting), and skepticism of the media telling the truth. Not in this specific case, but telling the truth in general - which feeds the skepticism.

jmo

Okay thanks. I was under the impression you meant folks here doing these things. While PP is most certainly a victim in this situation (and it horrifies me thinking what it must have been like to be hit in the head with a hammer) I think folks with questions about the way the media covered this, are completely entitled to those questions (I had some of the same questions at first, based on initial reporting), and skepticism of the media telling the truth. Not in this specific case, but telling the truth in general - which feeds the skepticism.

jmo

The ones making up crude assertions and false allegations are public figures as statements listed in the articles show.

Then the vile is spread by fringe media types and picked up without thought by some msm.

Of course skepticism is needed a good news organization expects as much and should correct any mistakes when pointed out.

The WS post I questioned said they wondered about: “what if it was just someone else and not a Pelosi”.

<modsnip>

All imo

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones making up crude assertions and false allegations are public figures as statements listed in the articles show.

Then the vile is spread by fringe media types and picked up without thought by some msm.

Of course skepticism is needed a good news organization expects as much and should correct any mistakes when pointed out.

The WS post I questioned said they wondered about: “what if it was just someone else and not a Pelosi”.

<modsnip>

All imo

The way I read the OP's question was not that the victim was being wondered about, as to question his legit victimhood in this case, but instead "would the media have covered this the same way, and would there be so much speculation and skepticism if this were anyone else?" (OP can correct me if I misunderstood).

I think we all know the answer to that, and it doesn't mean PP is any less a victim at all. Celebs and athletes and politicians, etc., are treated far differently by the media and by the public, than the average citizen who is not well known. It's just the way it is. Folks in that category absolutely DO receive extra attention whether they "deserve" it (or want it) at all.

If it were elderly Bob Smith from down the block, attacked by some nutter, we probably wouldn't even be talking about it, and neither would anyone else that didn't know him personally.

jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but I do not for a minute believe we are hearing the whole or accurate story.

But we have police reports and court charges. So can you please explain your skepticism? I'm genuinely curious because you're not the only one skeptical, but I'm struggling to understand (a) what you don't believe and (b) would it make a difference in the end outcome (i.e. the charges as stated?)

The way I read the OP's question was not that the victim was being wondered about, as to question his legit victimhood in this case, but instead "would the media have covered this the same way, and would there be so much speculation and skepticism if this were anyone else?" (OP can correct me if I misunderstood).

I think we all know the answer to that, and it doesn't mean PP is any less a victim at all. Celebs and athletes and politicians, etc., are treated far differently by the media and by the public, than the average citizen who is not well known. It's just the way it is. Folks in that category absolutely DO receive extra attention whether they "deserve" it (or want it) at all.

If it were elderly Bob Smith from down the block, attacked by some nutter, we probably wouldn't even be talking about it, and neither would anyone else that didn't know him personally.

jmo

But I mean, the reason for that is because who they are is of importance to all of us. If the person 2nd in line to the Presidency is targeted for a kidnapping and torture plot and her husband is battered and assaulted in the process, that is absolutely international news. And it should be. I don't think we can compare it to elderly Bob Smith because Bob Smith's assault will only affect local people. PP's attack was something that did and will continue to send shockwaves through the country because it's political violence targeting elected officials.

I don't know, but I don't think the media is out of line for covering PP the way they did.

JMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper