CA CA - Peter McColl, 16, Berkeley, 28 Aug 1995

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Peter has been missing for 22 years.

Thanks for the reminder MM. Twenty-two years is a long time. Even though there is no new information, we haven't forgotten Peter. I hope that brings some comfort to any family and friends who stop by this thread. Comfort and empathy is all we have to offer right now. Sadly, that's true of so many of the threads for missing people on WS. I wish we could do more, but remembering Peter is important too. :heartbeat:

BBM

The case may be closed on Nichole Zotti, but as Rose-Red pointed out, your assertion that she didn't know Peter was in error.

All we have are theories and no one's is "the only rational denouement" until the truth is known. We are generously and politely open to everyone's ideas, even if we disagree.

I don't really see that any of these possibilities you listed can be totally eliminated by using your reasoning/assumptions that I've bolded above. Here's why:

*No, runaways don't always turn up. There are plenty of cold case runaways on Websleuths. Some are dead and and either not found or found and unidentified. There are some who have been able to make new lives under different names and turn up years later. (See my post above)

*I doubt he joined a cult, but not all cults require monetary collateral. Youth and energy that can be exploited to make money are often enough.

*I doubt he was addicted to drugs. But it is possible to die the first time you use them without showing signs of addiction. The body will be hidden by whoever causes the overdose.

*I never deny the possibility of suicide because I've seen too many "unlikely" ones here on WS threads. But I agree that it's not an idea many will embrace. However, we certainly can't assert strongly that suicide is "the only rational denouement."

There are also accidental deaths and the body is never found or found years later.

So many possibilities! While some may be more likely than others, I've been surprised plenty of times on various threads. I've learned never to say "never."

This is just my opinion, but it's as valuable as anyone else's, so let's all start over with that thought in mind. :)
Thank you for calling out the tunnel vision of the previous post. Suicide is definitely a possibility, but there is no real evidence for it. If people who jump from the Golden Gate Bridge aren't always found, it stands to reason that people who are thrown off of it don't always surface, either. There won't be a denouement to this case unless more evidence surfaces.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2010/08/27/fifteen-years-later-berkeleys-peter-mccoll-remains-missing/
attachment.php

• cache.php

Attachments

• 20100827_035046_mccollhoriz.jpg
    20100827_035046_mccollhoriz.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 231
The 23rd anniversary of Peter's disappearance is coming up soon.

Peter John McColl – The Charley Project

From link.
"It is unclear whether Peter left of his accord. He may have traveled to Oregon, Florida, Louisiana or Washington after his disappearance. Peter is a guitar player and served as a rower on his high school's crew team. He enjoyed hiking along the trails of Tilden Park and riding his mountain bike in the Berkeley Hills, and he also liked music and poetry.

An extensive search of the area produced no clues as to Peter's whereabouts. He was an honors student in 1995, and disappeared only a week before the start of his junior year at Berkeley High School.

Peter's family members said that he did not place any unusual phone calls and wasn't behaving strangely prior to his disappearance; on the contrary, he appeared to be happy with his life. It is uncharacteristic of him to leave without warning, and he was not carrying any additional clothing or money when he vanished.

There were several religious groups recruiting on the campus of the University of California at Berkeley, where Peter's father was then a professor, at the time of his disappearance. Peter is described as a deep-thinking, spiritual person, and his parents looked into the possibility that he had joined one of the groups, but they could find no evidence to support this theory.

Peter's parents now live in Poulsbo, Washington, where they run a foster care facility for troubled teens. His sister lives in Seattle, Washington and his brother lives in San Diego, California. Peter's case remains unsolved."

Do we know if taking his ID out of his wallet to carry was the norm?
What ID did he have? Student ID? CA State ID? I know he was waiting for his drivers license to arrive. Was there ever an application for a replacement Drivers License made?
The nickname Rainbow. What is the origin of this?

Thank you so much for remembering my son all these years, for caring for a missing stranger. There have been no leads for years. When there were leads years ago none of them were useful. His case is archived at Berkeley pd though still "active". We can't look at the file since it is an "active" case. Peter apparently took an empty wallet, as his few ID cards (school, YMCA library, etc)were in his desk but then I don't know if he usually carried them or not. He bought a red Tshirt at goodwill on univ ave the day he disappeared, the clerk knew him from frequent visits Someone on this forum insisted he was a depressed suicide victim. I don't think he would have bought a red shirt on his way to die. We did consider All possibilities though and had the coast guard search the bay areas where the tide would have brought his body at that time. We are not in denial, and thank you for responding to the rigid narrow views expressed at that time. We hired a detective in Portland that year as many runaways were on the calif /Oregon circuit to rainbow family gatherings. I was hopeful that he might have run away though there were no signs of such a plan, no unusual mood swings though he seemed a bit restless and school was about to start in a few days. He would have started back to crew and to his junior year. Did he want to step off the track, travel, do his own thing? Did it go terribly wrong? These are just useless speculations and with no info, no contact, no one else who might have known what was on his mind that day we can put any scenario out there. After 23 years I now think he is not alive as it is unimaginable that he would choose to let his entire family live with the endless pain and grief of not knowing... when a simple note or call would have given us some kind of peace. Anyway, I just needed to vent today and again, thank you for your concern. It has truly helped me.

Thank you so much for remembering my son all these years, for caring for a missing stranger. There have been no leads for years. When there were leads years ago none of them were useful. His case is archived at Berkeley pd though still "active". We can't look at the file since it is an "active" case. Peter apparently took an empty wallet, as his few ID cards (school, YMCA library, etc)were in his desk but then I don't know if he usually carried them or not. He bought a red Tshirt at goodwill on univ ave the day he disappeared, the clerk knew him from frequent visits Someone on this forum insisted he was a depressed suicide victim. I don't think he would have bought a red shirt on his way to die. We did consider All possibilities though and had the coast guard search the bay areas where the tide would have brought his body at that time. We are not in denial, and thank you for responding to the rigid narrow views expressed at that time. We hired a detective in Portland that year as many runaways were on the calif /Oregon circuit to rainbow family gatherings. I was hopeful that he might have run away though there were no signs of such a plan, no unusual mood swings though he seemed a bit restless and school was about to start in a few days. He would have started back to crew and to his junior year. Did he want to step off the track, travel, do his own thing? Did it go terribly wrong? These are just useless speculations and with no info, no contact, no one else who might have known what was on his mind that day we can put any scenario out there. After 23 years I now think he is not alive as it is unimaginable that he would choose to let his entire family live with the endless pain and grief of not knowing... when a simple note or call would have given us some kind of peace. Anyway, I just needed to vent today and again, thank you for your concern. It has truly helped me.
Welcome to Ws Petersmother!
Thinking of you and Peter, he looks like a delightful, clever and handsome young man, he must be missed terribly.
Hoping one day soon Peter is found.

I am so sorry for the pain that you have endured through the years. The disappearance of a loved one is a pain that few can comprehend. After watching cases for many years, I think the pain of not knowing is a pain that is ever enduring. Love and hugs to you from a stranger. I too think he is not alive. It is crazy how many cases we have followed where the unimaginable happened in the blink of an eye. I hope Peter is found to give you some sort of resolution to your caring mind.

Thank you so much for posting, Mrs. McColl, and I am so sorry for what you have been going through. As a mother myself, I can’t even imagine how difficult this has to be for you.

I think of Peter often. He is only a few years younger than me, and based on what I’ve read about him, it sounds like some of his interests were similar to those of mine in the early to mid-90’s.

I have a couple of questions about Peter’s case. Please know that if you do not wish to or cannot answer, I understand completely.

1. When you say none of the leads were useful, does this include the alleged sightings by the AC Transit driver and the cab driver?

2. I believe your daughter posted several years ago that she doesn’t believe there is any connection with Nichole Zotti. Do you and your daughter still believe this to be the case? I ask this because if so, I can at least exclude this from the list of possible scenarios.

3. What can we do to help? I have thought about trying to find possible matches using the Doe Network website and NamUs. Is this something that would be useful?

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us. I will be keeping you and your family (including Peter, of course) in my thoughts and prayers.

Thinking of Peter's case.
Me too!
  • Missing Since 08/28/1995
  • Missing From Berkeley, California
  • peter_john_mccoll_1.jpg
  • peter_john_mccoll_3.jpg
  • peter_john_mccoll_4.jpg
  • peter_john_mccoll_6.jpg
  • Age 16 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'0, 160 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A light gray t-shirt with "Berkeley Crew" imprinted on the front, a light gray sweatshirt with "US Rowing" imprinted on the front, size L or XL black jeans and Dr. Marten's boots.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Peter has slight scarring near the tip of his right pinky finger and he has previously fractured his left forearm/elbow. He is extremely nearsighted with 20/400 vision. He was wearing his contact lenses with him at the time of his disappearance and did not carry his eyeglasses. Peter may wear his hair tied back in a ponytail. He has heavy eyebrows and may have a mustache, beard or a goatee. Peter's nickname is Rainbow. He may have a tattoo of a skull on his upper left arm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donald Redfield
Back