CA CA - Peter McColl, 16, Berkeley, 28 Aug 1995

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Fifteen years later, Berkeley’s Peter McColl remains missing – The Mercury News

Peter John McColl – The Charley Project
"It is unclear whether Peter left of his accord. He may have traveled to Oregon, Florida, Louisiana or Washington after his disappearance. Peter is a guitar player and served as a rower on his high school's crew team. He enjoyed hiking along the trails of Tilden Park and riding his mountain bike in the Berkeley Hills, and he also liked music and poetry.

An extensive search of the area produced no clues as to Peter's whereabouts. He was an honors student in 1995, and disappeared only a week before the start of his junior year at Berkeley High School.

Peter's family members said that he did not place any unusual phone calls and wasn't behaving strangely prior to his disappearance; on the contrary, he appeared to be happy with his life. It is uncharacteristic of him to leave without warning, and he was not carrying any additional clothing or money when he vanished."

Clothing/Jewelry Description A light gray t-shirt with "Berkeley Crew" imprinted on the front, a light gray sweatshirt with "US Rowing" imprinted on the front, size L or XL black jeans and Dr. Marten's boots.

Unless there's more to the story the family hasn't revealed to everyone, the death-by-person theory sounds most likely for two reasons:

ONE: Peter McColl's mother offered him breakfast at Fat Apples Bakery in Berkeley, which was on the way to where he claimed he was going on Telegraph Ave. Eliminating the "lack of appetite" point suggested earlier, why would Peter rebuff his mother's offer as he would at least get a free lift and/or hands-on experience as a new teen driver? If he wasn't hungry for non-mood reasons, why didn't he wish to keep his mother company? What was the urgency to go wherever he was going that superseded (what we would assumed was) a cordial relationship with his mother?

TWO: Discussion about Peter McColl being a bright, happy honors student doesn't rule out "worst case outcomes". One minor disappointment or headwind for high-achievers can be doom and gloom if the world is seen with a B&W lens. Yes, the decades-long gang violence plaguing the campus of BHS is a speculative notion for his state of mind. For all we know, there could have been unrequited love with a girl, or a brief argument between his parents that shaked up the stability of the household, or maybe - deep down, despite his comfortable life - nothing was ever "enough"?

I also support the murder theory.
After all everybody knows that most of missing people are actually victims of murder... :(
Anyways I hope I'm completely wrong and he's alive and kicking.
I agree that murder is the most likely explanation for Peter's disappearance.
-
Peter's older sister may doubt the bus driver's second sighting of Peter, but I don't. The bus driver's first sighting of Peter proved to be accurate, so the bus driver has proven himself to be a reliable witness.
-
Peter was apparently doing something that day that he didn't care to share with his family members. What that was is anyone's guess. Maybe Peter was experimenting with his sexuality and was involved in a homosexual relationship; maybe someone talked him into experimenting with mind-altering drugs; maybe he made friends with someone who was violent or unstable. The possibilities are endless.
-
This is how I would rank the possibilities in this case:
Murder: 70%
Accidental death that was concealed: 15%
Suicide: 10%
Accidental death that was undiscovered: 4%
Voluntary walk-away: 1%
-
It's odd that the bloke with the English accent never came forward. Of course, he may have been a random stranger with whom Peter had struck up a conversation.
-
There were no signs that Peter was suicidal; if he did commit suicide, then I think it could have been precipitated by something that happened that day. Perhaps he was sexually assaulted; it can happen to men, too.
-
If Peter stayed on the line 43 bus past his stop when heading home for the day (whether deliberately or because he had dozed off, etc.), where would he have ended up?

I would believe the bus driver. They tend to be upstanding, in general, and due to the nature of their jobs, observant of their passengers.

In contrast, I would want Nicole to take a poly. This sounds like he was sucked in to a misadventure that turned deadly. Given Nicole’s subsequent prison time, I’d say she likely has more information.

amateur opinion and speculation

While anything is possible, I think foul play is far more likely.

amateur opinion and speculation only

Fair enough. However, why/what/when/how comes to mind. In the almost 25 years the case has been active, the Berkeley Police Department never upgraded the focus as a "homicide" from a "missing persons" case. Berkeley in general has a fairly low murder rate and even lower in the neighborhood where the kid disappeared.

Fair enough. However, why/what/when/how comes to mind. In the almost 25 years the case has been active, the Berkeley Police Department never upgraded the focus as a "homicide" from a "missing persons" case. Berkeley in general has a fairly low murder rate and even lower in the neighborhood where the kid disappeared.
Good points. It’s my observation that when teens disappear police often categorize them as runaways and move on. Given their meager resources, it’s understandable.

The bus interaction with the girl who ultimately ends up in prison is a beacon to me, along with no card activity. Most of all, the fact he didn’t take his glasses strongly suggests he intended to return.

Could he have gone off to self harm? Sure. He would have been at a high risk age, but I haven’t heard any indications of angst or depression.

I’m staying laser focused on the girl. Anyone know her latest status?

amateur opinion and speculation

The bus interaction with the girl who ultimately ends up in prison is a beacon to me, along with no card activity.

Was the bus interaction substantiated, and was there evidence that it was the same young woman who ended up in prison? What's the motive behind such a homicide? Why didn't BPD ever bring the investigation to that level and suggest a suspect?

Most of all, the fact he didn’t take his glasses strongly suggests he intended to return.

But didn't he leave a lot of things?

Could he have gone off to self harm? Sure. He would have been at a high risk age, but I haven’t heard any indications of angst or depression.

Angst and depression isn't always obvious.

I’m staying laser focused on the girl. Anyone know her latest status?

As of now, not a suspect in his disappearance.

Was the bus interaction substantiated, and was there evidence that it was the same young woman who ended up in prison? What's the motive behind such a homicide? Why didn't BPD ever bring the investigation to that level and suggest a suspect?

But didn't he leave a lot of things?

Angst and depression isn't always obvious.

As of now, not a suspect in his disappearance.
In response, not point by point, I can only guess that LE simply wrote Peter off as a runaway. As far as evidence that Peter interacted with the young woman on the bus....we have a credible eye witness - the bus driver. Perhaps the young woman confirmed this as well - I have no way of knowing.

My point is, I would encourage revisitation of this disappearance with the woman in question. I am wondering if Peter was enlisted in some sort of scheme that went awry. I'd look at this angle again.

My amateur two cents worth, and speculation/opinion only.

Breaking down each theory:

Murder - 0% chance. First, one needs to explain how an innocent high school honors student from Berkeley, California ended up in a deadly scheme a' la The Sopranos from New Jersey. After a bit of research on crime statistics, the majority of Berkeley homicides seem to be gang-related between destitute urban youths, and all other cases over the past few decades (e.g., Nina Reiser, Felix Polk, Pamela Horowitz, etc.) are not only open-shut, but a cause celebre for their one-off nature. The "Nichole Zotti" character - whilst once incarcerated - has never been connected to a violent crime or other missing person, which proposes the question, "if all killers are criminals, are all criminals killers?" In addition to absence of motive, there's unclear information as to how Zotti was even connected to McColl in the first place, and whether the sighting by the bus driver was accurate. (Didn't this same driver claim the woman had a British accent?)

Runaway/Homeless/Cult - 15% chance. The low probability comes down to the fact most runaways flee from family environments rife with extreme abuse and neglect, which doesn't sound like the case here. While McColl was reported to have enjoyed the outdoors, living on the rough for an extended period of time requires a hardened personality. The "cult" theory is diminished by the fact there was no other missing Berkeley citizen from that same time - so what made McColl the only special "recruit?"And what did he have "on the table" for this new "family"?

Suicide - 85% chance. The last confirmed sighting (from McColl's mother) was her son abruptly rebuffing an upscale breakfast occasion for no reason - no family argument/fight, nothing. Even if he just "wasn't hungry", he could have at least kept her company or got some driving practice en route to the restaurant (MLK Way is in the direction of the former Cody's Books on Telegraph Ave). Psychiatric literature can verify: when severely depressed individuals have "a plan", there's not always a "down mood" - if they've made their minds up, there might actually be peace and composure.

Last edited:
rbbm
By Frances DinkelspielAug. 27, 2010
Family still looking for Berkeley teen missing 15 years

Peter McColl as a young teen
"Kristen Bender, a reporter for the Oakland Tribune, writes movingly in the paper how McColl’s disappearance has frustrated – and devastated – his family. None of them live in Berkeley anymore, and looking for McColl is an active part of their lives. They play different scenarios over and over in their minds: he ran away, he was kidnapped, he joined a cult, he was murdered.

“I look for him all the time in my daily life — in crowds, at airports, on street corners in Seattle,” McColl’s mother Suzan, told the Tribune. “Tall, slender figures with long, brown curly hair often get a second look or even a U-turn if I’m driving. Young men playing guitar for spare change. Strangers who walk a certain way on the street outside my kitchen window. It’s almost subconscious now, like a sixth sense, having this radar operating. And I think all parents of missing kids must do this. I am realistic about the possibility that he is dead, but I fully believe he is more likely to be alive, living in another identity, for reasons only he and God know. And one day while I am working in my garden he will open the gate and say, ‘Mom, it’s me, Peter’.”

Berkeley police are still looking for McColl.

“The case strikes us as a significant mystery,” Sgt Mary Kusmiss, a spokesperson for the Berkeley police department, told the Tribune. “We do need the community’s help, possibly nationwide help, to get to the bottom of this. Cases like this that get a lot of attention and have a real air of mystery to them never leave a detective’s mind.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donald Redfield
Back