CA CA - Peter McColl, 16, Berkeley, 28 Aug 1995

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the Doe link, "He may no longer be in California. He may be in Oregon, Florida, Louisiana or Washington state."

Point taken, errors like the nickname Rainbow, might suggest other mistakes too.
Either way, hope someday proof will be found that he is either alive or deceased.

Before Ozoner responds that I have "no proof" Peter McColl leaped from the GG, most jumpers are not seen by motorists as the pathway is on the far peripheral. The witnesses are generally going to be other pedestrians (on a late Monday morning during the Summer, probably scattered tourists).

Here's an article about the Coast Guard salvage operation (I must forewarn, NOT a pleasant read):
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/LETHAL-BEAUTY-No-easy-death-Suicide-by-bridge-2562269.php

The piece suggests that not every plunge/impact is witnessed or recorded. So, this neither rules out or confirms Peter McColl as being one of the many tragedies, but given the circumstances, it's far more believable than an aimless joyride to Oakland's Monclair or a free poppy-shot that lead to a coverup.

Been thinking of Peter's case for the past few days now. I hope there'll be some closure one day.

Peter McColl, I often think of him from time to time. I don't like where the conversation has gone on this board, and how everyone has wild speculations backed up by nothing, but still arguing that their thesis is right. Anyway, I hope his family finds peace, and that this case is resolved.

There have been posts that infer Peter was depressed. The evidence mentioned was that he changed his hairstyle and style of dress, did not have breakfast with his mother that morning when invited, he participated in tagging, he may have had family issues, and that bullying may have been in issue in Berkley HS.

Peter may or may not have been clinically depressed. Even if he was depressed, this does not necessarily mean that he was suicidal and that he committed suicide in the Golden Gate Bridge or anywhere else. Depressed people may resort to drugs as a coping mechanism, they may join religious groups or cults for acceptance and belonging, they may runaway from their problems, and they may even commit suicide. Theorizing that Peter may have been depressed doesn't really form any new leads. There are still many possibilities as to what could have happened to Peter McColl regardless if he was depressed or not.

* I could be mistaken, but I'm nearly certain McColl's sister mentioned on this thread that the bus girl from Telegraph ("Nicole") had no idea who Peter was. --CelticFrostie

Yes, you are mistaken, CelticFrostie. Rebecca McColl said that Nichole Zotti knew who Peter was and did indeed see him on the 43 Bus:

Nichole I believe gave a statement about seeing Peter on the bus that morning but that was the extent of her contact with him. She said he got off the bus and she stayed on. They only knew each other because they went to the same school, and it was a brief interchange. --augustday, 2006

'His wallet was discovered after his disappearance, but his identification cards were missing.' His ID was not missing. --augustday, 10/23/2006

We never found Peter's wallet. We never found any trace of him after his disappearance. --augustday, 10/24/2006

I am confused on the two quotes above, but I'm guessing Rebecca McColl meant that Peter's wallet was not found, and his Driver's License was not in his wallet, but in the mail. If anybody could clarify, did Peter take his wallet? Where was his wallet found, if it was found at all?

I still wonder about the Nichole Zotti angle, as I did before. It is quite a coincidence that both students from the same school would disappear on the same day, and a witness, the bus driver, saw both of them on the same 43 bus speaking to each other, and later a different cab driver believes he drove them to an airport. Is this really a coincidence or is there something more here? Was the male in the cab was ever positively identified!? There may be more to this.

How did the bus driver from the 43 bus know that the Caucasian boy that Peter met had an accent? I think it's odd that the bus driver remembers that Peter talked to a red-streaked hair girl, remembers he asked for directions to Montclair, and that he saw him with a Caucasian boy with an English accent. I'm from LA, so this seems uncommon for a driver to remember this much detail. I don't know how many people ride the buses in Berkeley, Nor Cal. This very may be plausible, but the bus driver did seem to see Peter quite a few times. Where is the sketch of this person of interest?

There was a couple of other students waiting for the bus that may have seen Peter pass his bus stop on his way back. How confident are they in their identification. Was anybody else with this person they thought was Peter McColl?

Like another poster asked, what type of shirt did the witness at the thrift store see Peter buy?

Thanks, MagnoliaMountain, for the bump.

Since I last posted here, I have done a significant amount of boots-on-the-ground sleuthing, including speaking to a detective at the Berkeley Police Department, as well as other people who were connected to Peter in various ways, before he disappeared.

The detective has asked me to refrain from discussing the case, until he's had a chance to review the records thoroughly, and decide together how to proceed—which is taking awhile, because the records were difficult for him to procure, and there is a lot of material for him to review.

I have agreed to respect his request, which is why I haven't posted any updates here, as of late.

However, if and when he gives me the green light to discuss the case, and there are elements of the case with which we could use your help sleuthing, I will be sure to post them here at that time.

Thank you for your interest in Peter's case. I really appreciate it.

Bumping and wondering if there are any new developments and if so, when might the " green light " be given?

Yes, you are mistaken, CelticFrostie. Rebecca McColl said that Nichole Zotti knew who Peter was and did indeed see him on the 43 Bus:

Uh, NO, I'm not mistaken. Did you miss this quote?

"I don't believe there is any connection with Nichole. I have since communicated with her." -- augustday, 08/30/2014.

Case closed on the "Nichole Zotti" lead. (And as far as I'm concerned, we could throw in the towel on the thrift store lead, too...)

Something particularly ironic about the theories mentioned here is that most of them don't point to Peter McColl being alive. Indeed, after someone is missing for seven years they could be declared legally dead ("in absentia") even if human remains have never been recovered, and irregardless of the circumstance. One could call my explanation a "theory" if they want, but when using the process of elimination, it's the only rational denouement left:

* If Peter McColl was a teenage runaway he would have turned up a long time ago, either dead (killed by another homeless person) or in LE records (for loitering, stealing, fighting, trespassing, etc). Living "off the grid" doesn't mean you're completely off the grid.

*If Peter McColl joined a cult, he would have needed to provide collateral. That's how cults thrive, and he disappeared with nothing of value. The theory is also speculative in that it suggests cults and other outcast groups are ready and willing to take in anyone.

*If Peter McColl was addicted to drugs, it would have been apparent and cited in the case. It also would have taken a toll on his academic performance, faster than the effects of clinical depression. And whether or not he was a drug user, it doesn't explain his disappearance (apart from the long-winded "coverup" story).

I remember this case very well as a former Bay Area-n. I mentioned knowing another young GG Bridge jumper and the denial that permeated after his death, even after the nature of it was obvious. And I understand the "my friend/family member would never do that" mentality whenever the bleak "s-word" is evoked. It's hard to stomach, we want to think of other conclusions, I don't disagree.

For those "bumping" this thread hoping for a new development, this twenty-two year old case was given its time of day. It was highly publized on TV, radio and papers; news anchors also referred to the subject as "missing son of UC professor", which stressed way more importance than just "missing Berkeley HS student". In the 1990's, the McColl story was second to the Polly Klaas kidnapping/murder in the amount of local media coverage.

Volunteers and LE professionals alike did a fantastic job canvassing leads and combing the East Bay hills for any sign of the teen, and "missing person" posters with his DMV photo were stapled across utility poles. California's missing persons unit never got a solid break at the end; whether McColl was a runaway teen or (an earlier theory) took a drug-fueled joyride, there would have been a sighting, especially with the urgency to find him. The case was never left on the backburner; there's simply nothing more to work with. Considering hearsay "sightings" from more than two decades ago is ludicrous. Only forensic evidence is going to paint any picture as to what happened, and it's not going to be salvaged in the Pacific Ocean.

The main reason we bump cold case threads is to let families and friends who might read here know that their loved one has not been forgotten. Peter's sister has posted here. Their heartache never goes away. It's a kind and caring act that WS members perform on many "orphan threads" as I call them. Caring and kindness toward victims and families is something we do here. I always encourage members to adopt a few quiet threads to bump every month or so. The new interest that may result brings fresh eyes and support. That's why I keep Stephanie Warner's case alive in my signature and by bumping. It may seem futile, but I don't want her and others forgotten.

Another reason we hope for developments on this particular case is that a member who knew Peter has had close contact with the cold case detective and has been doing some of his own sleuthing. When he is able to we hope he will come back with more information. Cold cases have been solved after many years. All it takes is one new or overlooked clue.

Anyone who has spent time on or perused numerous cases here knows that hope springs eternal until we know the truth about what happened. We don't give up. People who have disappeared are sometimes able to remain hidden for years. Miracles have happened. Long-hidden remains are found. One of the most worthwhile pursuits at WS is the attempt to match unidentified remains to a missing person. WS has quite a few "matches" to its credit, and that effort has brought those remains back to the families.

So, we keep bumping threads and we keep hoping for new developments, while we work on current cases.
JMO

skeletal remains were recently found in moraga. while it is doubtful they are this guy, you never know.

The main reason we bump cold case threads is to let families and friends who might read here know that their loved one has not been forgotten. Peter's sister has posted here. Their heartache never goes away. It's a kind and caring act that WS members perform on many "orphan threads" as I call them. Caring and kindness toward victims and families is something we do here. I always encourage members to adopt a few quiet threads to bump every month or so. The new interest that may result brings fresh eyes and support. That's why I keep Stephanie Warner's case alive in my signature and by bumping. It may seem futile, but I don't want her and others forgotten.

Another reason we hope for developments on this particular case is that a member who knew Peter has had close contact with the cold case detective and has been doing some of his own sleuthing. When he is able to we hope he will come back with more information. Cold cases have been solved after many years. All it takes is one new or overlooked clue.

Anyone who has spent time on or perused numerous cases here knows that hope springs eternal until we know the truth about what happened. We don't give up. People who have disappeared are sometimes able to remain hidden for years. Miracles have happened. Long-hidden remains are found. One of the most worthwhile pursuits at WS is the attempt to match unidentified remains to a missing person. WS has quite a few "matches" to its credit, and that effort has brought those remains back to the families.

So, we keep bumping threads and we keep hoping for new developments, while we work on current cases.
JMO

* I could be mistaken, but I'm nearly certain McColl's sister mentioned on this thread that the bus girl from Telegraph ("Nicole") had no idea who Peter was.
Uh, NO, I'm not mistaken. Did you miss this quote? --CelticFrostie

"I don't believe there is any connection with Nichole. I have since communicated with her." -- augustday, 08/30/2014.

Case closed on the "Nichole Zotti" lead. (And as far as I'm concerned, we could throw in the towel on the thrift store lead, too...)

There is a difference between having no connection to a disappearance of a person and "[having] no idea who Peter [is]." Stating on this board that Nichole Zotti had no idea who Peter McColl is incorrect information:

The other important detail is that the bus driver said Peter was talking with a girl with red-streaked hair when he was on the 43, just before he got off. The girl was confirmed to be Nichole Zotti, another high school student from Berkeley High, who knew Peter, but not well. --augustday, 10/23/2006

Nichole I believe gave a statement about seeing Peter on the bus that morning but that was the extent of her contact with him. She said he got off the bus and she stayed on. They only knew each other because they went to the same school, and it was a brief interchange. I've always been curious about this though, and wish I could talk to Nichole again.--augustday, 10/24/2006

would like to talk to Nichole and I will try to find her to see if I can. I do remember Nichole said that she knew Peter like to talk to street people on Telegraph avenue and around UC Berkeley, just to engage them and listen. --augustday, 10/24/2006 (last edited 2009)

JMO

Very well said!

There is a difference between having no connection to a disappearance of a person and "[having] no idea who Peter [is]." Stating on this board that Nichole Zotti had no idea who Peter McColl is incorrect information:

Yes, it is certainly incorrect to assert that Nichole Zotti had no idea who Peter is. Thanks for having the energy to dig up quotes that show that although Nichole knew Peter somewhat, his sister did not believe she was connected to his disappearance after communicating with her.

Uh, NO, I'm not mistaken. Did you miss this quote?

Something particularly ironic about the theories mentioned here is that most of them don't point to Peter McColl being alive. Indeed, after someone is missing for seven years they could be declared legally dead ("in absentia") even if human remains have never been recovered, and irregardless of the circumstance. One could call my explanation a "theory" if they want, but when using the process of elimination, it's the only rational denouement left:

* If Peter McColl was a teenage runaway he would have turned up a long time ago, either dead (killed by another homeless person) or in LE records (for loitering, stealing, fighting, trespassing, etc). Living "off the grid" doesn't mean you're completely off the grid.

*If Peter McColl joined a cult, he would have needed to provide collateral. That's how cults thrive, and he disappeared with nothing of value. The theory is also speculative in that it suggests cults and other outcast groups are ready and willing to take in anyone.

*If Peter McColl was addicted to drugs, it would have been apparent and cited in the case. It also would have taken a toll on his academic performance, faster than the effects of clinical depression. And whether or not he was a drug user, it doesn't explain his disappearance (apart from the long-winded "coverup" story).

I remember this case very well as a former Bay Area-n. I mentioned knowing another young GG Bridge jumper and the denial that permeated after his death, even after the nature of it was obvious. And I understand the "my friend/family member would never do that" mentality whenever the bleak "s-word" is evoked. It's hard to stomach, we want to think of other conclusions, I don't disagree.
BBM

The case may be closed on Nichole Zotti, but as Rose-Red pointed out, your assertion that she didn't know Peter was in error.

All we have are theories and no one's is "the only rational denouement" until the truth is known. We are generously and politely open to everyone's ideas, even if we disagree.

I don't really see that any of these possibilities you listed can be totally eliminated by using your reasoning/assumptions that I've bolded above. Here's why:

*No, runaways don't always turn up. There are plenty of cold case runaways on Websleuths. Some are dead and and either not found or found and unidentified. There are some who have been able to make new lives under different names and turn up years later. (See my post above)

*I doubt he joined a cult, but not all cults require monetary collateral. Youth and energy that can be exploited to make money are often enough.

*I doubt he was addicted to drugs. But it is possible to die the first time you use them without showing signs of addiction. The body will be hidden by whoever causes the overdose.

*I never deny the possibility of suicide because I've seen too many "unlikely" ones here on WS threads. But I agree that it's not an idea many will embrace. However, we certainly can't assert strongly that suicide is "the only rational denouement."

There are also accidental deaths and the body is never found or found years later.

So many possibilities! While some may be more likely than others, I've been surprised plenty of times on various threads. I've learned never to say "never."

This is just my opinion, but it's as valuable as anyone else's, so let's all start over with that thought in mind. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stahoe
Back