Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It really is horrible.

Wouldn't his smartwatch somehow be traceable even without GPS? (Maybe I have overlooked this and it did connect in/near the park at some point?)
Unfortunately his smartwatch is not traceable until it connects with a bluetooth device. They collect the data, but they don't transmit a location or signal.

The late start and the running in the heat is so bizarre to me. I know in any running group I have ever been in, in the extremely hot and brutal south, any hot weather run, we are going to be up at dawn to get an early start. Even with extremely fit, fast, and well conditioned runners. Sleeping in until 7:30, then driving a few hours, and not even getting out there until after 10am or noon is crazy to me. Even for conditioned runners. I guess people do it. I can't imagine running in heat indexes of over 100. A heat related tragedy makes more sense to me than other scenarios.

From the AMA:

Q: Is there evidence he actually drove himself there / etc.

Yes. In addition to UPS Store cameras (which is how we know he changed clothes in his car afterwards), his car's journey was tracked via various FastTrak and traffic cameras from leaving that store (where he dropped off a return item) until getting to the trailhead. He'd also called his wife that morning before setting out with his rough plan, and texted her from the trailhead to give her his ETA.

Chris Thoburn 7/23 AMA Q&A Responses

The only way they would know he changed clothes in the car based on UPS footage is if he was seen in UPS in regular clothes and not running clothes. I personally find it odd that he didn't leave the house in his running clothes.

Does anyone know what clothes were found in the car?

I can't say this provides us with any exciting new details, but it provides accounts from the more official side of the SAR effort.
"He (Chris Young) said this search was unique in that there was a large convergent volunteer search effort made up of family, friends and runners. The operation was able to electronically track where the civilian volunteers were searching, along with where the trained volunteers were searching, and overlay that into SARTopo mapping software to determine where had been covered."
Stanford student finds purpose in search and rescue work - Stanford Today

From the AMA:

Yes. In addition to UPS Store cameras (which is how we know he changed clothes in his car afterwards), his car's journey was tracked via various FastTrak and traffic cameras from leaving that store (where he dropped off a return item) until getting to the trailhead. He'd also called his wife that morning before setting out with his rough plan, and texted her from the trailhead to give her his ETA.

The only way they would know he changed clothes in the car based on UPS footage is if he was seen in UPS in regular clothes and not running clothes. I personally find it odd that he didn't leave the house in his running clothes.

This is a great question. Do we know if ANY clothes were found in the car?

I apologize if this has already been answered, but the AMA, despite a lot of details, didn't seem to answer this (although I might have missed something). Do we have a timeline/location info for PK between the evening run and when he went to mail the package the next morning?

I apologize if this has already been answered, but the AMA, despite a lot of details, didn't seem to answer this (although I might have missed something). Do we have a timeline/location info for PK between the evening run and when he went to mail the package the next morning?
Not that I'm aware of. All we know is what little CT knows from their text messages plus his conjectures. I would suspect PK's phone might have much more information.

MOO I don't think mailing a package defined his morning plans. He had all morning from what we know to mail the package and to do a run and then to be in Stockton in the early afternoon. Depending on traffic it's less than an hour from Berkeley to Pleasanton, and less than hour from there to Stockton. He could have run earlier before mailing the package but didn't. So the reasons this was a somewhat hurried and short run are not clear.

The
From the AMA:

They have mentioned the shirt he is wearing in the Friday evening photo, with the reflector panels, was in the car.

Not that I'm aware of. All we know is what little CT knows from their text messages plus his conjectures. I would suspect PK's phone might have much more information.

MOO I don't think mailing a package defined his morning plans. He had all morning from what we know to mail the package and to do a run and then to be in Stockton in the early afternoon. Depending on traffic it's less than an hour from Berkeley to Pleasanton, and less than hour from there to Stockton. He could have run earlier before mailing the package but didn't. So the reasons this was a somewhat hurried and short run are not clear.
Per the AMA, he slept in since the wife and kids were away, ran an errand and fit in a run in an area he did not get to frequent that was on the way to Stockton. There is a lot of discussion re: possible Saturday runs in the text messages in the AMA on the public FB link.

Yes, almost every article I’ve read has reported that his shirt & cellphone were found in his car.

Still No Trace of Missing Berkeley Runner Philip Kreycik; Detectives Call the Case 'Baffling'
In the attached article it states that Phillip was experienced in exercising in the extreme heat, but in the AMA doc his friend says that Phillip was not accustomed to running much beyond the mid 80’s due to his usual running spots where he lives, as well as taking his typical runs in the early morning or later evening times when temps are cooler.

This is a great question. Do we know if ANY clothes were found in the car?

Volunteers and members of Kreycik's family gathered on Wednesday evening for a barbecue and some downtime, but investigators scaled back the official search last week due to a lack of any compelling leads and a thorough scouring of Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, where he went missing on the morning of July 10. He told his wife he was going for a run, called her when he arrived at the park's parking lot to say it would take an hour, and then failed to meet up with her at a family gathering in Stockton two hours later. He left his shirt and cellphone in the car, and was running with a smartwatch that was not equipped with GPS.

Still No Trace of Missing Berkeley Runner Philip Kreycik; Detectives Call the Case 'Baffling'

Looks like they found a shirt. I've been looking to see if there are any reports that the shirt found was also the shirt seen on the UPS camera, but so far I can't find anything.

Snip for space

FWIW- I am on the same page as you! This looks like a voluntary walk away to me also, and like you I hope I am right. Like you said, better that than some horrible death.

The 7/10 private jet flight going to Minneapolis/St Paul KMSP from Livermore Municipal Airport KLVK took off at 11:54 AM PDT and landed at 5:05 CDT, was tail number N819AP and operated by AOSKY according to Flightaware.
snipped
That was some good sleuthing by @ElzabethAnne. To me it's so unbelievable that an energy efficiency expert would voluntarily disappear using a corporate charter jet, that it's almost, well, believable. Everyone would be on the lookout for an escape by bicycle or kayak instead.

That said, until some new evidence suggests he had a reason or an interest in going off the grid, I think the overwhelming likelihood is he's still somewhere between Pleasanton Ridge and Moller Park. MOO

In the attached article it states that Phillip was experienced in exercising in the extreme heat, but in the AMA doc his friend says that Phillip was not accustomed to running much beyond the mid 80’s due to his usual running spots where he lives, as well as taking his typical runs in the early morning or later evening times when temps are cooler.

Yep, I caught that too.

So how does a guy who has a history of planning his runs morning and eve to avoid the heat start a run so late in the day when it's extremely hot out?
The

They have mentioned the shirt he is wearing in the Friday evening photo, with the reflector panels, was in the car.

That is significant if true, IMO. The shirt from the night before likely came off the night before, when it was sweaty after his run that evening.

So what clothes did he have on at UPS and why is C saying that is how they know he changed his clothes in the car??

I'm on a roll here with the issue of the clothes. I went back and looked at PK's missing person flyer. It is here for reference.

3rd-edit-Philip-flyer-with-AND-2.pdf

PK is described as "wearing running shorts, probably no shirt"

I don't get this, why is no shirt described? This is usually important in a missing person's case. C claimed that they knew PK changed in the car because of UPS footage.

I can see LE not releasing all info. That is typical, so I could see them not giving all details on the clothing left in the car, BUT, I can not see it when trying to describe a person who is missing and in danger.

If they didn't know what PK had on then normally the family is questioned and attempts are made to figure out what the person had on by doing an inventory of what is left in the home. For example if his wife said a certain running shirt was missing then the flyer might say - possibly wearing (insert description) but in this odd case the wording to me is odd. Probably no shirt?? Shirts are protective. This doesn't make sense to me.

IMO, we shouldn’t be taking any of the AMA as true. IMO, it’s muddying the waters. We don’t even know if those texts are actually from PK.

And how did he get access to text messages that were sent between PK and his wife Jen?

IMO, it’s alarming how many theories are being based on what this person is claiming as fact. The actual police are being tight-lipped, the family has been silent (especially recently), but CT continues to act as lead investigator, spokesperson for the disappearance and expert on Philip’s frame of mind.

MOO the only credibility he has is regarding trail maps and Strava.

IMO, we shouldn’t be taking any of the AMA as true. IMO, it’s muddying the waters. We don’t even know if those texts are actually from PK.

And how did he get access to text messages that were sent between PK and his wife Jen?

IMO, it’s alarming how many theories are being based on what this person is claiming as fact. The actual police are being tight-lipped, the family has been silent (especially recently), but CT continues to act as lead investigator, spokesperson for the disappearance and expert on Philip’s frame of mind.

It's easy to screenshot your phone and then send the pic to someone, so C could have received a screen shot from Jen. I don't think C is involved in PK's disappearance but I agree with you that C is NOT an authority on this case. Just because he has a friendship with PK and has taken on this leadership role in the volunteer search does not mean LE is sharing info with him that is sensitive. I'm sure they are not.

This is my speculation only so MOO and all, but I just thought of something. If PK was seen on the UPS footage in the shirt he was in on Friday, and then that shirt was found in the car (as reported) then the "probably not wearing a shirt" makes sense. In fact it's the only way it makes sense to me.

ita. Perhaps the friend CT just has one of those personalities but the AMA imo is strange. Also some of his info is in conflict with other reports as other have mentioned, like his ability/experience in running in the heat.

I wonder how well the guys on the group run knew each other. I know PK was not acquainted with and/or didn't know anyone aside from CT.

ita. Perhaps the friend CT just has one of those personalities but the AMA imo is strange. Also some of his info is in conflict with other reports as other have mentioned, like his ability/experience in running in the heat.

I wonder how well the guys on the group run knew each other. I know PK was not acquainted with and/or didn't know anyone aside from CT.

I agree with the AMA being strange. IMO my take is CT loves attention & loves running and likes to be *the* authority on all subjects, hence he’s acting like he knows Philip way more than he does. He’s definitely helping the family with the search but I think that’s all that we can rely on him for - info about the search.
I also thought it was strange how he went on & on about future safety measures after this happened — that information was off-subject & not needed in an AMA about Philip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces