Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They were deep in a trail-less canyon. Maybe they tried to scramble up the slopes. They also could have back tracked and ended up southeast of the Maze Loop wandering in circles through the rock canyons thinking they were close to the Loop. They did minimal searching of that area and most of that was done by helicopter.

In 2010 Edward Rosenthal was lost for 6 days and travelled 20 miles before being found.

I just read an article on Edward Rosenthal and he was missing near the end of September under high cloud cover. He was also an older gentleman and it was still in the 97-99 degrees range but he was aided by not fighting the incredibly brutal sun that these two folks had to deal with.

I could be wrong. But I still think they were met with some sort of foul play. Perhaps someone knew of their hiking plans and set the scene to make it look like they were lost.

I also posed this question but I don't believe it was answered.

Were their tracks of walking in circles over a large area? Are we talking a half a mile? A couple miles? Ten miles of tracks? I think that's important to narrow it down to whether or not there could've been foul play. Were their any signs of a struggle? How long could the dogs follow the scents?

I apologize if these questions have been answered already.

I just read an article on Edward Rosenthal and he was missing near the end of September under high cloud cover. He was also an older gentleman and it was still in the 97-99 degrees range but he was aided by not fighting the incredibly brutal sun that these two folks had to deal with.

I could be wrong. But I still think they were met with some sort of foul play. Perhaps someone knew of their hiking plans and set the scene to make it look like they were lost.

I also posed this question but I don't believe it was answered.

Were their tracks of walking in circles over a large area? Are we talking a half a mile? A couple miles? Ten miles of tracks? I think that's important to narrow it down to whether or not there could've been foul play. Were their any signs of a struggle? How long could the dogs follow the scents?

I apologize if these questions have been answered already.

They weren't specific about where they were at going in circles. I believe it was stated the dogs lost the scent due to deep sand and so many people out on the trail hindered the scent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aron's plight with the boulder is what immediately came to mind for me on this case.

I've been thinking about Flight 19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_19

I wonder if they became so absolutely disorientated in the desert that they came to distrust map and compass (if they had them) as the leader of Flight 19 did his navigational aids over the largely featureless sea.

It's a kind of panic I think.

I've been thinking about Flight 19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_19

I wonder if they became so absolutely disorientated in the desert that they came to distrust map and compass (if they had them) as the leader of Flight 19 did his navigational aids over the largely featureless sea.

It's a kind of panic I think.

Agreed. This could be true if they were out in the open desert because they should have been able to determine where the road was. I think they were locked in a canyon system and hopelessly lost.

Agreed. This could be true if they were out in the open desert because they should have been able to determine where the road was. I think they were locked in a canyon system and hopelessly lost.
Force Ten, how many days do you think they were out walking around?

I personally think they stopped moving by the first Friday, midday.

I also agree. IMHO, I feel there are only two possibilities: before SAR started, they had either stopped moving OR they were hopelessly outside the search area.

There's a lot of factors to consider. Did they drink the night before considering they were celebrating Rachel's birthday? Alcohol dehydrates so they may have not been hydrated enough starting out. Salty foods dehydrates as well. It also depends on how hard they pushed themselves. But I would say 3 days tops before they stopped. I doubt they were mobile at all on the 30th. IMO the chopper would have spotted them.

[h=1]Dad keeps hope of finding missing son alive by joining searchers at Joshua Tree[/h]
Gilbert Orbeso has spent 13 of the last 15 days hiking about four miles a day, slowly combing the desert landscape, undeterred by the unrelenting heat and humidity at Joshua Tree National Park where his son and friend seem to have vanished.

“Everything seems like it’s in slow motion, I think because of the waiting, the anticipation,” he said Saturday morning, standing outside the visitor center on Park Boulevard where he was getting ready to join the park’s team for another four-hour search.
Orbeso last saw his son on July 26.

“We said goodbye and his friend Rachel picked him up,” he said, adding the trip was to celebrate her birthday.

He and his son often text each other, but on that July 27, Orbeso said his phone wasn’t working right and he doesn’t know if he may have missed any attempts by his son to reach him.

The last ping from Joseph Orbeso’s phone was recorded at 4 p.m. July 27 from inside the park, officials said.
Orbeso described his son – the older of his two children – as outgoing and sociable. “He loves video games and being outdoors. He is a people person; he loves to network.”

Orbeso doesn’t know much about Nguyen, saying the two had dated for just a short time but remained friends. Her family could not be reached for comment Saturday.
Orbeso said his son is not an avid hiker but had been to Joshua Tree two weeks before with another friend, though he didn’t know if they did any hiking.

Over the past two weeks, Orbeso – also not an avid hiker – has trekked across Joshua Tree’s varying types of terrain, often going beyond where park searchers were hiking but with them close by and monitoring a GPS device they put on him, he said.
“We have a lot of people – a lot of people – praying for us,” and that keeps him going, said Orbeso, adding that his wife and daughter have been with him at the park as well, but unable to do the hikes.
http://www.desertsun.com/story/news...live-joining-searchers-joshua-tree/558185001/

tarabull:
http://www.hidesertstar.com/news/article_2cf62e4c-7590-11e7-8e48-031b2ad967e7.html

"Although the rain and the K9 teams have brought a glimpse of hope, another possible avenue to find the couple has turned into a dead end. Orbeso and another friend had visited the Joshua Tree area a couple of weeks ago, and Messaros had been trying to contact that friend to learn if Orbeso had mentioned any trails he planned to hike with Nguyen. Messaros said he was finally able to talk to the friend, who is now in Japan, but it turned out the two men had just driven on Twentynine Palms Highway, looking at restaurants and shops."

I'm quoting this post as the story of Orbeso and his friend being at the park has now resurfaced. I wonder how much digging into this friend was done. Could be a red herring and have no bearing on the case but after little activity in terms of leads on the case I find it pretty interesting that that lead has come up again and was mentioned by his father.

Certainly Orbeso had told his father the truth in that they were going to the park. Why would he lie about doing that when they were going to check out restaurants and shops? And when did the friend go to Japan? Before or after the two went missing? Did he know Rachel?

Could be off base. Could be an important piece of the case.

So Joseph's dad says he was "not an avid hiker".

We've previously learned from a pp that Rachel's gold whateveritwas from the scouts would not necessarily have included any form of survival training.

Unfortunately this does make it sound as though they could have massively underestimated the conditions at Joshua Tree and been completely unprepared for them.

Deleted a big oops- see below it was a video that partially played and then wouldnt play again for me.

Thanks, Wrigley's_Human for finding the error. I reported my mistake to the mods. So sorry.

Sheriff’s Deputies were quick to point out that this couple is not to be confused with a missing couple that was last seen more than three weeks ago in the Joshua Tree area.

Friends continue to look for Joshua Orbeso and Rachel Nguyen, both 20 and from Orange County. They were last seen July 27.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/08/12/2-missing-hikers-found-deceased/

I thought it was...No? There's another couple I will go back and listen. Sleeping guys here. Nothing in print.
Shoot Video cuts off.
I listened again (it started buffering the first time). Per video, the found deceased hikers were in their 50s and 60s. Names haven't been released.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

I listened again (it started buffering the first time). Per video, the found deceased hikers were in their 50s and 60s. Names haven't been released.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Yes, I finally found print on facebook since the video cut off when it did play. I had no idea another couple was missing in that area. I will pay much better attention next time.

Thanks for finding my huge mistake! You saved the post and others from confusion.

I swooped in and edited and deleted and notified the mods.
...hydrating and back to sleep!

The found persons were located at Amboy Crater and National Trails Highway, too far north to have been the ones who left a behind the "2 sets of footprints" that were found south of highway 62. Plus, I think they are comparing prints found leading away from RN's parked car to those found out in the desert.

I just wanted to rule that out.

The found persons were located at Amboy Crater and National Trails Highway, too far north to have been the ones who left a behind the "2 sets of footprints" that were found south of highway 62. Plus, I think they are comparing prints found leading away from RN's parked car to those found out in the desert.

I just wanted to rule that out.
Thanks, GigTu! My bad.

Deleted a big oops- see below it was a video that partially played and then wouldnt play again for me.

Thanks, Wrigley's_Human for finding the error. I reported my mistake to the mods. So sorry.

Sheriff’s Deputies were quick to point out that this couple is not to be confused with a missing couple that was last seen more than three weeks ago in the Joshua Tree area.

Friends continue to look for Joshua Orbeso and Rachel Nguyen, both 20 and from Orange County. They were last seen July 27.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/08/12/2-missing-hikers-found-deceased/

How sad. Amboy Crater is pretty far from JT. Just another reminder about hiking in the Summer desert is perilous.

How did they even know those tracks belong to these 2? Those tracks seem really far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214