Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the plot thickens...

My inner pessimist considered the possibility of murder suicide when they were found, but I figured there was most likely no foul play. His stuff on social media doesn't really ring any bells, all I could tell is that they don't really share social circles at all and that he really likes his swords and weapons, and trippy stuff.

On one hand they were found under brush so it seems like they were seeking shelter, so mercy killing does make sense. On the other hand he did scout the area earlier right? I suppose they'll have to see how many times he shot her and where to get a better idea of the motive.

Just have to wait for more details I guess...

The autopsy/news reports gunshot wounds but doesn’t mention anything about the gun; whether it was recovered or not.. hm.

Now I’m thinking.. what if someone was specifically targeting and stalking them while they were on their hike? Could it be one of Rachel’s ex boyfriends or a maybe a love triangle that lured them into the shaded brush and ended both of their lives? Perhaps, Joseph and Rachel were begging for their lives and both murdered while locked in an embrace..

They would have to have located the gun nearby in order to call it a murder/suicide. If there was no gun found then they would have no way of ruling out homicides nor would they have evidence showing them this was a murder/suicide.

The gun was most likely found close to Joseph's body.

In ME reports they dont list evidence like where a gun or weapon was located at the crime scene location from the ARs I have seen. That report would be written up by the investigating officers who were at the scene at the time, imo.

So to review what we already knew, this could have been a very well planned and executed event.

Orbeso and a friend traveled out to the area and stayed in a Airbnb 2 weeks prior. Obeso lived in Orange County, 2 hours away.

The friend told the media, or investigators, that they went out there to check out restaurants but never made it past Palm Springs. This is very peculiar statement (lie) if this is what he said.

Why did they go out there to begin with?

Reports are that Nguyen and Orbeso were romantically involved, but no longer.

Orbeso's father has stated that he watched his son load Nguyen's car with his stuff but did not see Nguyen or had even ever met her. Where was she?

4 different hallucinogenic drugs were found at the Airbnb.This is extreme, for anyone.

The fact that Orbeso brought his gun with him on the hike could be for many different reasons, like protection against mountain lions, or maybe target shooting.

We have yet to see any of either the couple's friends talk publicly about this trip, if they knew about it. The family (Nguyen's or Orbeso's?) stated the couple were going out to celebrate Nguyen's 20th birthday. As I stated in the past, I find this to be odd that she would celebrate her birthday with one person, an ex-boyfriend to boot.

What if it was Orbeso who told his father this was the reason for going? We didn't hear from her family until after they were found. What if Rachel never told her family she was doing this and once the family found they were missing, they accepted this excuse? Her being abducting and taken against her will is a bit farfetched but I'm throwing it there.

They hiked out into the desert during the worst time of year and on that day it was over 100 degrees. A hike that was over 7 miles.

Considering there were provisions - water and jerky, possibly others - found nearby, it doesn't appear that they were under extreme duress or dehydration. This would also explain why dispersed clothing wasn't located, typical in these situations.

This has now, unimaginably, turned from a missing person's case to a murder investigation. What investigators find out about Orbeso might be quite disturbing.

There is something to note. They were found "In embrace". But other reports are that he was simply holding her.

I think it's safe to assume, considering all of this and the outcome, Orbeso may have been taking drugs for a while and not in a sound state of mind.

Yeah the post from dad said he at least had jerky and bananas but not enough water.

In the desert water is a lot more important than food. They could have survived weeks without food, but not even hours without water. Just like that French couple who died on a day hike in White Sands National Monument, when they gave all their water to their son.

I am still struggling with the small amount of preparation---some jerky and bananas, some (but not a lot of) water. But he brought a gun for protection. If you are thinking about dangers that can be present, water is way more important than a gun. I would like to think mercy killing but I am not in that camp yet. And, the drugs found in the bnb would also be dehydrating and altering so less water would make even less sense if this was a birthday celebration.

The friend told the media, or investigators, that they went out there to check out restaurants but never made it past Palm Springs. This is very peculiar statement (lie) if this is what he said.
Is it? Maybe that's all they really did. Didn't read about this specifically before, do you have the source?

Orbeso's father has stated that he watched his son load Nguyen's car with his stuff but did not see Nguyen or had even ever met her. Where was she?
Nah, I think that's a little too literal. He said "We didn't see Rachel much or haven't even met her. I wish we had."
They just hadn't been introduced and such, which is a bit odd I guess but it's not like she was unconscious and stuffed in the trunk or whatnot.

Their relationship seemed pretty on the down low if social media is anything to go by (no pics of them together on their public profiles), they could've been just FWBs at the time.

So to review what we already knew, this could have been a very well planned and executed event.

Orbeso and a friend traveled out to the area and stayed in a Airbnb 2 weeks prior. Obeso lived in Orange County, 2 hours away.

Why did they go out there to begin with?

Reports are that Nguyen and Orbeso were romantically involved, but no longer.

4 different hallucinogenic drugs were found at the Airbnb.This is extreme, for anyone.

The fact that Orbeso brought his gun with him on the hike could be for many different reasons, like protection against mountain lions, or maybe target shooting.

We have yet to see any of either the couple's friends talk publicly about this trip, if they knew about it. The family (Nguyen's or Orbeso's?) stated the couple were going out to celebrate Nguyen's 20th birthday. As I stated in the past, I find this to be odd that she would celebrate her birthday with one person, an ex-boyfriend to boot.

What if it was Orbeso who told his father this was the reason for going? We didn't hear from her family until after they were found. What if Rachel never told her family she was doing this and once the family found they were missing, they accepted this excuse? Her being abducting and taken against her will is a bit farfetched but I'm throwing it there.

They hiked out into the desert during the worst time of year and on that day it was over 100 degrees. A hike that was over 7 miles.

Considering there were provisions - water and jerky, possibly others - found nearby, it doesn't appear that they were under extreme duress or dehydration. This would also explain why dispersed clothing wasn't located, typical in these situations.

This has now, unimaginably, turned from a missing person's case to a murder investigation. What investigators find out about Orbeso might be quite disturbing.

There is something to note. They were found "In embrace". But other reports are that he was simply holding her.

I think it's safe to assume, considering all of this and the outcome, Orbeso may have been taking drugs for a while and not in a sound state of mind.

Based on dads statement I’m thinking there were water bottles found near them but not enough water to survive days in intense heat.

Is it? Maybe that's all they really did. Didn't read about this specifically before, do you have the source?

Nah, I think that's a little too literal. He said "We didn't see Rachel much or haven't even met her. I wish we had."
They just hadn't been introduced and such, which is a bit odd I guess but it's not like she was unconscious and stuffed in the trunk or whatnot.

Their relationship seemed pretty on the down low if social media is anything to go by (no pics of them together on their public profiles), they could've been just FWBs at the time.

http://www.hidesertstar.com/news/article_2cf62e4c-7590-11e7-8e48-031b2ad967e7.html

Orbeso and another friend had visited the Joshua Tree area a couple of weeks ago, and Messaros had been trying to contact that friend to learn if Orbeso had mentioned any trails he planned to hike with Nguyen. Messaros said he was finally able to talk to the friend, who is now in Japan, but it turned out the two men had just driven on Twentynine Palms Highway, looking at restaurants and shops.

My bad, Twentynine Palms Hwy, not Palm Springs. Maybe they had planned on going into the park, yet only made it to visit shops.

I am still struggling with the small amount of preparation---some jerky and bananas, some (but not a lot of) water. But he brought a gun for protection. If you are thinking about dangers that can be present, water is way more important than a gun. I would like to think mercy killing but I am not in that camp yet. And, the drugs found in the bnb would also be dehydrating and altering so less water would make even less sense if this was a birthday celebration.

I think many people don't realize how much water they need in the desert. I have hiked all day with just one or two bottles of water, but that is a in cool climate. In desert heat, I suspect that wouldn't even last me even one hour.

I think many people don't realize how much water they need in the desert. I have hiked all day with just one or two bottles of water, but that is a in cool climate. In desert heat, I suspect that wouldn't even last me even one hour.
If you planned a murder suicide I doubt you would have much concern for water and food.

True. But, they were in a national park, signs are posted. It is the desert in the summer. It makes no sense that they brought so little. So, the question is why. Ignorance/not knowing? Doesn't ring true--signs and warnings as well as they left in the morning b/c it would b/c that is suggested, so they followed some rule of thumb.

This is sounding more and more like he planned it. They were exes, not current bf-gf. It was her birthday. They went without much water. There was drugs found at the AirBnB. What drugs did he take with him into the park? He took a gun.

This happened to my daughter in laws sister. Her boyfriend shot her in the head and killed her, then turned the gun on himself. It's been 28 years and her parents still haven't gotten over it. They talk about it all the time. I feel so horrible for Rachel's family. This is something they probably will never get over. Ever.

Do we know that they brought not much water? They could have discarded empty bottles along the way which were not found. We don't know how many empty bottles were found at the final resting place. They could have both carried enough for the planned day hike but got lost and ran out of water the next day.

If you planned a murder suicide I doubt you would have much concern for water and food.

True, but they did have some water and food with them. If you are planning a murder - suicide why take any water or food with you, at all? Why walk into the desert to commit - murder suicide? They could have done that in their car. It would have been much easier. All indications are that they were prepared to hike, just not prepared enough. Based on other cases, it seems to happen, pretty regularly.

warning_sign_at_trailhead.jpg

True. But, they were in a national park, signs are posted. It is the desert in the summer. It makes no sense that they brought so little. So, the question is why. Ignorance/not knowing? Doesn't ring true--signs and warnings as well as they left in the morning b/c it would b/c that is suggested, so they followed some rule of thumb.

Yet, the signs are there because it does happen all the time. Maybe they didn't read the signs or maybe they didn't understand the importance of the message.

Hey guys, first time posting here. Nixle just posted an update...

"The bodies of Rachel Nguyen and Joseph Orbeso were found under a tree. They had positioned their clothing to cover their lower extremities and protect them from the sun. It appears they had been rationing their food and had no water.

The gun found near the bodies was registered to Joseph Orbeso"

- Source: https://local.nixle.com/alert/6218037/?sub_id=2879410

"The bodies of Rachel Nguyen and Joseph Orbeso were found under a tree. They had positioned their clothing to cover their lower extremities and protect them from the sun. It appears they had been rationing their food and had no water.

More and more I feel like this was to end the misery. It’s so awful but imagine watching someone you love dying in heat and conditions like they must have been in? It’s sad because I’m a way they gave up on rescue however reality is that had they waited, they wouldn’t have survived anyway.

More and more I feel like this was to end the misery. It’s so awful but imagine watching someone you love dying in heat and conditions like they must have been in? It’s sad because I’m a way they gave up on rescue however reality is that had they waited, they wouldn’t have survived anyway.
I agree. I'm heartbroken for everyone. :rose:

Now this report of no water. So maybe it was mercy/suicide. I can only imagine what it must be like watching another suffering and dying from dehydration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member