Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"We continued in the Maze Loop area from 20-25 acre segments for area/grid Search now to 10-15 acre segments in efforts to a more tighter and cover unsearched areas on the map grids. We focused in the Window Loop region just opposite of the outer side peaks of the Maze Loop. A trail/wash separates the two. Estimated 5-6 miles." Gilbert Orbeso

Maze Loop top.jpg

Maze Loop top 2.jpg

What a strange disappearance through all the search efforts

like they're not there.. I've thought the car could have been left as a red herring but the ping from near that location throws a wrench in that idea. Being young they could have traveled some distance before they faded, but not that far..it was hotter than hello that day and the following days. I'd have found shade after the first few hours.. I'm sure the searchers target and beeline to anything that looks like shade, on a hillside on the ground, an opening, an overhang, an outcropping..

"We continued in the Maze Loop area from 20-25 acre segments for area/grid Search now to 10-15 acre segments in efforts to a more tighter and cover unsearched areas on the map grids. We focused in the Window Loop region just opposite of the outer side peaks of the Maze Loop. A trail/wash separates the two. Estimated 5-6 miles." Gilbert Orbeso

attachment.php
Just this one picture shows how vast the search areas are, and how complex the terrain is. And that doesn't even include the caves, cliffs, and crevice/formations they could have ended up in. :(

Just this one picture shows how vast the search areas are, and how complex the terrain is. And that doesn't even include the caves, cliffs, and crevice/formations they could have ended up in. :(

Kind of looks how the surface of Mars would look. But a perfect example of where they could be is this big rock and the shelter underneath. They could be under some of the same sort and just out of sight. Someone could pass by them not knowing.

There is something to be said about people disappearing in JT in areas without rocks verses area with rocks. All the disappearances in JT I can find, the only ones found dead or alive, were out in the plain desert. These hikers and Bill Ewasko, A new one I found, Michael Rodriguez, were all in or near rocky areas. Others like Nola Taylor and Eric Sears were out in the open and found pretty quickly, relatively speaking.

Here is another curious, sad story I found. It kind of reminds me of the Death Valley couple. But again, out in the open. But take notice the little distance these people got before succumbing to their ultimate demise. I think it says a lot about where our couple may be, and may not be.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1787916/bodies-found-joshua-tree

"Authorities are investigating the cause of death of two people found dead in Joshua Tree National Park on Monday night. A couple visiting the park found a man's body along Black Eagle Mine Road in the park. Deputies from the Riverside County Sheriff's Department who responded to the incident discovered the woman's body a mile east. Five miles further down the road, they discovered an abandoned car. Investigators believe that the pair may have become stranded in the park, where temperatures have risen over 100 degrees this week. Names, ages, and hometowns of the deceased man and woman have also not been released. In the wake of the deaths, the park reminded tourists to keep water in their vehicles and not to count on being able to call for help by cell phone."

I know it's a park and protected but maybe it's time to install some cell towers along the road.

Smith Water Canyon is not overly popular. These were novice hikers and by all accounts, not familiar with JT. IMO, they found shelter in the rocks and expired there. That's the only conclusion I can come to why they haven't been located.

I think your analysis is simple, to the point, and correct. This tragedy has reinforced to me the level of preperation that I need to make for desert hikes.

Though I hike quite a bit, last year, I had a "bad hair" hike in a semi arid area that involved having enough water, but nothing extra, then giving the basic map to my wife while I took another route. This was followed by confusing signage with one trail having two parts and two names. Then, a deliberately twisted trail marker cost me time at the end of the day.

I suffered grevious loss of pride by deciding to bail out of the hike as darkness fell as I was uncertain of what trail I was on. I went to a road and hitched a ride with a rancher to a gas station. What ended in loss of pride in that area, can be fatal in Joshua Tree.

Does anyone know if the park was fairly active with people during the 3-day weekend? I was really hoping the park was bustling with hikers and someone would find them.

Does anyone know if the park was fairly active with people during the 3-day weekend? I was really hoping the park was bustling with hikers and someone would find them.

With this heat wave, I think most people are going to cooler climates for hiking. Joshua Tree is beautiful. But it is hard to hike when it is in the hundreds.

With this heat wave, I think most people are going to cooler climates for hiking. Joshua Tree is beautiful. But it is hard to hike when it is in the hundreds.

Especially since it's also been super humid along with the 100+ temps this past weekend. Not a good mix.

Per Accuweather, temps in JT for the past week:
SUN 8/27MON 8/28TUE 8/29WED 8/30THU 8/31FRI 9/1SAT 9/2SUN 9/3MON 9/4
104° /79°102° /81°103° /80°101° /80°99° /78°100° /78°93° /76°90° /72°92° /73°

I don't believe many would have been hiking in that weather. My son was on tour and they had planned to hike it during that time and they cancelled due to extreme heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had a look at the Joshua Tree fb page but they don't mention anything re. recent visitors.

I think about these 2 every single day. I hope today is the day. Where are you Rachel and Joseph?

just returned from searching part of maze loop, area 23..it's one of the lesser searched areas according to the search map.
It's very hilly and rocky. Not so hot today, overcast a lot. I think other areas had clues like footprints to focus on.
This poster is at the trail head.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_1260.jpg
    100_1260.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 617
Thank you for searching iscaremyself, and for the picture!

just returned from searching part of maze loop, area 23..it's one of the lesser searched areas according to the search map.
It's very hilly and rocky. Not so hot today, overcast a lot. I think other areas had clues like footprints to focus on.
This poster is at the trail head.
attachment.php

Keep safe out in that :desert:.

And thank you!!! :yourock:

"right wing" anarchists? why "right wing" and not just anarchists or ecoterrorists?

Because in this specific case, the three men involved in the hare brained plot all self identified as very right wing politically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties