CA - Rebecca Nalepa - suicide or murder? #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because the public was not informed of every single minute detail, it doesn't make it "hinky". My goodness, don't you think LE knows a little more than we do? Maybe they are trying to spare feelings of Rebecca's family?

I think they know a lot we weren't told. I think they should have to explain all the evidence and I do not think they are sparing the feelings of Rebecca's family at all. At least, I do not think that is any motivation for them.

From gitana's link a commentor:

I haven't even tried to compare this with the knots on Rebecca's wrists, just passing it along.

Her family would know if she were a boater. Frankly the woman appears to have thought of everything-secure rope to the bed, bind her feet, bind her hands, gag herself, as if she were a pro at this. Yet she has no history of depression or suicide attempts. The bets police could come up with to prove she was depressed is that she supposedly stopped exercising in January-even though prior to her death she was exercising regularly. So how did she know to do all these things?

I'm not sure I'm willing to believe a word this Anne Bremner says. I wasn't sure who exactly she was, so googled for a bit and am a bit stunned...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012832729_bremner08m.html

Not the most upstanding, trust worthy person out there. IMO I would venture to guess she sought out the family of Rebecca for more television face time.

I for one am shocked....shocked! that a lawyer was caught drinking. And then that she attempted to finagle her way out of it? hard to believe!

(just jesting you). But do you think these high powered attorneys are Marques of Queensbury types? Wilting wallflowers and milquetoasts? Believe me, when the poo hits the fan, JS's high powered team will not be playing paddycake. Yes, Bremner was flat wrong in her case - and eventually when she saw her foolishness in this matter backfire, apologized, and moved on.

But I'm still gobsmacked that an attorney might resort to their full kit bag of tricks and maneuvers to get out of trouble. haven't heard of any disbarment proceedings or anything. Sure, it's embarrassing, but she's probably done many good things in the legal field as well, and at least she is trying to represent the Zahau's - who sorely need it - against the monolithic power structure in San Diego that they have seemingly been railroaded by. At least that's their perspective. This may be getting done pro- bono; sure, there's ample publicity in taking on something like this - so Bremner (and her ilk) are not monks nor angels, but that doesn't take away from the fact she's going to bat for the Zahaus. Someone needs to - unless you think they have no right to a defense of their family membe'rs perhaps wrongful death. Let Bremner put some pressure on and see where it goes.

She may have started to use duct tape to bind herself and then realized it wasn't working. I'm not sure if duct tape was found anywhere, however.

I completely agree that there are a lot of very strange aspects of these deaths. And while I fully agree that there are corrupt LE officers I have a difficult time believing that all 15 detectives would be involved in a cover-up. My sense is that there are details that are being omitted because of privacy and dignity concerns. And that perhaps if we were privy to these details, things might make more sense.

As I said in an earlier thread I think that Jonah called Rebecca and left a horrible, ugly, hateful message along the lines of he never wanted to see her again, he wanted her gone, etc. I think that coupled with grief, guilt, and what one could assume would be a lack of sleep caused her to decide to kill herself.

MOO.

LE might be concerned about privacy, but my guess their concern is mostly about JS's privacy.

Who is GS?

Steely:
Max fell on the staircase on Monday 7/11. Rebecca and her younger sister were the only ones home (allegedly). Sister was upstairs showering and Rebecca was in the restroom downstairs. Max was without a pulse or respiration for 25-30 min. Rebecca was forbidden from going to the hospital to visit Max and was found hanging from a balcony, nude, hands and feet bound, tape residue on her legs, a blue t-shirt wrapped around her neck and in her mouth on 7/13 at 6:48 am. The boyfriend's brother found her and cut her down with a kitchen knife. She supposedly did all this herself, in the bedroom with the balcony. She wrote the note on the door to the bedroom (allegedly) with paint and a brush, cut the rope with two kitchen knives. Max was pronounced dead on 7/16 and his organs were donated. Rebecca's family has hired an attorney because they do not agree with the suicide ruling.

You can view parts of the media briefing and photos here:
http://www.sdsheriff.net/coronado/index.html

Don't have a good link for the full media briefing....sorry.

Here is a floor plan of the house:
http://www.trulia.com/property/photos/1039341000-1043-Ocean-Blvd-Coronado-CA-92118#item-1

Thank you very much.

Regarding Max's fall over the rail. I thought he didn't fall over the full height rail-but rather at the point where the stair descends and the bannister meets the upstairs landing was the location. That would be a much lower rail because he had the height of the second floor landing-but the rail was in position for the stairs.

IOW the rail he went over was not a guard for the landing-but a guard for the stairs which would make the standard height of it inconsequential as that height is measured from the steps but he launched from the landing-which is much higher.

That probably makes no sense so I will find a picture.

This is the best picture on page 8.
You can see that the area he went over the rail as it relates to the second floor landing is extremely low because it is not in place for the landing. It is in place for the steps.

http://www.sdsheriff.net/coronado/ms.pdf

I don't see how a small kid could do that. If the chandelier was involved maybe he was trying to swing from it?

I think her death was murder.

Why, and how, would she bind her own hands and feet before killing herself. When did she put the rope around her neck? Was it before she bound her hands and feet and if so what was the length of the rope? What's with the cryptic message? :waitasec:

It appears the message was written with the left hand. was she left handed? If the paintbrush, I saw in one photo, was used it would require multiple redippings in order to write a message. It was small. How does one hold a paint bottle and redip a brush while having a hand placed against a door? :waitasec:

I believe her hands were tied behind her back and yet the demonstration shows the woman tying her hands in front of her. :waitasec:

Why tie her hands and feet before killing herself, even if she could. If she was staging a murder then why? :waitasec:

Why is the Sheriffs department leaving out critical details that are accessible to the public? :waitasec:

My hinky meter is in overdrive.

She may have started to use duct tape to bind herself and then realized it wasn't working. I'm not sure if duct tape was found anywhere, however. MOO.

snipped by me.

I wanted to discuss the tape residue issue. I would like to see a drawing of RZ with the tape drawn on the legs where it was found.

At first I was also thinking KT-tape for an injury. My husband was using it on his knee for a while due to an injury. It is the dimensions of the tape that puzzles me.

I measured it and it comes in 10" precut lengths that are 2 inches wide, but are seamed in half lengthwise, so that each width could reduced to a 1 inch width.

The tape residue was reported to be 1-1/4 inch by 5/8 inch (I am working from memory--I'll go back to the report to verify). So now I am thinking it was not KT tape residue.

Wow, you all have been busy! Trying to catch up.

Seems as if RZ family are gearing up for a wrongful death suit, much like civil suit against OJ. If this is the case, JS has 2 choices, have everyone and his brother remotely associate with this case give a deposition or pay off family.

ETA-I'd like to know more about DS boyfriend.

While I agree that might be Bremner's goal, it ain't gonna happen, imo. Nothing is similar to the OJ case. JS has not been charged with murder and LE says they have accounted for his location at TOD that has been ruled a suicide.

I don't see any Judge allowing a wrongful death case to proceed when it is a suicide and JS was nowhere near it plus there is no evidence he even spoke to her.

Even if several inches are added to account for the rope being taut when Rebecca was cut down, the end of the rope still seems too high to reach, IMO.

http://www.sdsheriff.net/coronado/images/rzbalcony.jpg

I didn't post the pic because it would blow the margins.

It is hard to determine from the photo and I can see what you are saying. I noticed that there is a great deal of slack in the rope. I wonder how much longer the rope would hang if it were taut with a 100 pound person hanging from it.

I have a bigger problem with two other things: the angle that the table leg was broken and direction the rope on the ground trails -- as Inobu pointed out in earlier threads.

I'm going to revist those now that we know what AS told LE.

BBM
A local reported back in Thread 1, post 47, stated that planking was rumored. Just as the gagging was rumored way back in the postings and now miraculously we find out it is true via the autopsy report but not mentioned by LE.

Also by locals, the chandelier was rumored to be involved and seen carried out from the scene but not videotaped so thought not to be a fact. We now know the chandelier was indeed involved by LE.

Based on how filtered LE has been in releasing or not releasing information, why should the planking be discarded as fact simply because LE has not reported it to be fact? Even though rumor is not fact - locals usually have the inside info and that seems to be playing out on this case at least so far.

LE is playing this as they choose - which is certainly their right - but it doesn't engender confidence in the public's perception of ANYTHING! I'm just hoping that LE is smarter than we think and their approach to this case is trying to ferret out the actual truth in the end. I certainly hope so. JMO on all.

I believe the planking may be true. But if so, then RN did have some reason to feel guilty. As the adult in charge, she should have been aware of the fact that a 6 yr old was horsing around on the upper stairwell, trying to act like a stiff board.

But why would LE draw up that animation of Max's accident, which showed something very different than a planking accident?

If Max was trying to plank, imo, he must have seen it somewhere. Like maybe the older teens in the house?

snipped by me.

I wanted to discuss the tape residue issue. I would like to see a drawing of RZ with the tape drawn on the legs where it was found.

At first I was also thinking KT-tape for an injury. My husband was using it on his knee for a while due to an injury. It is the dimensions of the tape that puzzles me.

I measured it and it comes in 10" precut lengths that are 2 inches wide, but are seamed in half lengthwise, so that each width could reduced to a 1 inch width.

The tape residue was reported to be 1-1/4 inch by 5/8 inch (I am working from memory--I'll go back to the report to verify). So now I am thinking it was not KT tape residue.

I used to use that kind of tape to attach those elastic shin guards to my shins when I ran. When I did that there would only be residue where it touched my skin, the other part was on the elastic. So I think it could happen that way.

Planking doesn't fit with the light fixture being struck as well as his injuries, imo

If he was trying to lay out flat on the top of the balcony staircase, and he started to fall, he may have stretch out to try and hang on to the chandelier. Instead of breaking his fall, it crashed to the floor.

I am not sold on the planking, but I am not sold on the other explanation either. The animation they used was the size of a grown man, not a 6 yr old boy. And I do not see how he went over the top of the stair well with such force.

Remember the early reports of detectives inside the mansion near the grand staircase with blue lights and, if I remember correctly, jumping or bouncing on the upper bannister or something like that.

I wonder how that ties into a small child possibly planking then falling far enough out to collide with the chandelier?

I believe the planking may be true. But if so, then RN did have some reason to feel guilty. As the adult in charge, she should have been aware of the fact that a 6 yr old was horsing around on the upper stairwell, trying to act like a stiff board.

But why would LE draw up that animation of Max's accident, which showed something very different than a planking accident?

If Max was trying to plank, imo, he must have seen it somewhere. Like maybe the older teens in the house?

Max propelled over that railing at a great speed. The injuries to Max's body plus the involvement of the chandelier do not fit with a planking scenario. If he was even attempting to plank on the railing, his body would have fallen straight down and not been propelled horizontally into the chandelier and the other railing. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez