CA CA - Rose Cole, 16, Oakland, 1972 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
HeartofTexas said:
Here's a legal document posted on the blog tonight. It's got me totally baffled. It says the child appeared in Court with their parent or guardian. Nobody in the family knows anything about this if it did happen. Remember that these papers were found in the father's possession after he died, if my understanding is correct.
HoT,

It seems to me like the father had kept information from the rest of the family. If I remember correctly, you said that the letters were found in his possesions too? It seems from looking at that court document that Rose did appear in court in MI in 1974 along with her father.

Shadowangel,
I think that the baby mentioned was the child of her brother, Billy.

I believe the baby was one of her step-siblings (one of Opal's children by a previous marriage).

I'm repeating the vital statistics on Rose. Someone asked yesterday how tall Rose was and I said I thought 5'3", but I was wrong. Apparently they didn't know how tall Rose was at the time she disappeared:

No known birthmarks
Long Brown Hair
Green, olive eyes
Pretty tall (My husband is 6'3" and Pose is very tall too)

Here's everything I know about Rose's real mother (Willie Mae), other than she died in Texas a few years ago from breast cancer after marrying 7 more times:

They didn't know their real mother. Jesse Joseph divorce Willie Mae when the kids were little. I think Jesse was 2 or 3, so Rose was just a baby. Rose wanted to meet her real mom.

So all three of them were sent to Orange

I don't know what's wrong with the previous post that I can't copy the SIL's information but I'm going to try it again here, starting after the word "Orange" above. It shows up when I'm submitting the post but then after it appears on the forum, most of the words are missing. Grrrrrrr.

".... Texas over a Christmas break to meet Willie. The deal was the Cole's would pay for the ticket from MI and Willie would pay the returned ticket.

When the time came to return, Willie claimed not to have the money to send them back. So the Cole's sent tickets to TX for their return.

Once back in MI, Rose told Opal that Willie's husband had tried to do something to her (sexual). Once this happened Rose and Pose slept in the same room with a knife under their pillow. They also told them that Willie will take her other kids to eat out and leave the 3 of them in the house without food. Th! ey also told her that the house was a disaster zone.

My husband had told me about how they had to sit in the living room to watch the other kids open presents. While they were told that there was not enough money to get them anything. He told me this story years ago, so I always go crazy for his birthday and Christmas, making sure he gets a few gifts to open. But it wasn't until today after talking to Opal that I realize that the first time this happened was on this trip to

Well, I got more of the post done, but now I'll try to continue on after the words "trip to" above.

"... trip to Texas. Anyhow, Rose came back and things got bad. She started to use drugs. They found out because one night she didn't came home, so they call the police and went out to look for her. This was in 1971. So she end up in court under runaway charges not drugs.

Would the original court records of Rose being sentenced to rehab be available?

From what I read, its difficult to tell if Rose was present at the hearing or not...If this were a petition on her behalf to have the charges dropped/removed, I would think she did not have to be present herself. Court records of the hearing should reflect whether or not she was actually present, I would assume.

The SIL tried to obtain the records but was told the records were sealed because they were juvenile records.

HeartofTexas said:
The SIL tried to obtain the records but was told the records were sealed because they were juvenile records.
Did you find out whether or not they ever filed a missing persons report? It seems like its time. They need to know whether she attended that hearing. That puts her all the way across country from CA, so she could be anywhere.

Did you find out whether or not they ever filed a missing persons report?
No, but I just emailed the SIL and asked her directly if a missing person's report had ever been filed. Will let everyone know when I hear back from her.

HeartofTexas said:
No, but I just emailed the SIL and asked her directly if a missing person's report had ever been filed. Will let everyone know when I hear back from her.
You might want to suggest that she contact the SSA to request SS # information, The Rose Cole that I found died in MI. I have to check and see where the # generated from. Without looking I think it started with 362 - I'll check in a few min and post it here

Itsreenw, did you see my post where I said her real name is Rose LENA Cole, and not Rose LEANA Cole?

HoT, if the SIL went to the chambers of the judge presiding over that last hearing, she might be able to get some sympathy from the court clerk who could check the records to see if rose actually appeared. Frankly, from working in the court system, the court document that you posted looks like a form document, which means that even though it says that the minor appeared, it is likely that she didn't.

Are LE involved at all? I think that LE would be able to obtain some of the sealed court records in the course of an investigation... (maybe I'm wrong on this)

Bykerladi, unfortunately the SIL lives in another state from where the hearing was held so it's not feasible for her to go to the Court. She has already called them and been turned down. I agree that going there in person would be very helpful.

I received an email this morning from the SIL re filing a missing persons report for Rose:

I filed a missing case report in Madison, WI this morning. Also, sent the
case number to Oakland PD to see if they can help out.

With the case number I called California Children Missing unit. Talked to
Maurin (who had suggested for me to call Madison PD). She took all my info
and someone is going to contact me.

I am going backwards here but what happened was that I went to the website
you recommended and decided to call the 800 number. I cannot add Rose to
their Database without a missing case number from a police department. She
gave the number for CA (1-800-222-3463). That's where I talked to Maurin;
she took my info and suggested I try to get a case number from Madison and
/or Oakland. I did and call her back; she added the number to the record.

That is good news about the missing person report. Which site is the SIL trying to get Rose listed on? HoT, did you say earlier that the SIL has a website for Rose now? If so, can you post a link?

Shadow, here's the url for the website for Rose (it's a Yahoo 360 blog, whatever that means!)... I was invited, so I don't know if you have to be invited in order to view it. Hope not. I'd appreciate you doing a post on whether or not you're able to view the blog.

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-6INKmI0oeqhPu8rlW9Hr0_5vBruoTei_3SWmS0TuDruGwQ--?cq=1&p=6&n=28500

I referred the SIL to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC). Do you think that's the best one for her to start with?

HeartofTexas said:
Shadow, here's the url for the website for Rose (it's a Yahoo 360 blog, whatever that means!)... I was invited, so I don't know if you have to be invited in order to view it. Hope not. I'd appreciate you doing a post on whether or not you're able to view the blog.

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-6INKmI0oeqhPu8rlW9Hr0_5vBruoTei_3SWmS0TuDruGwQ--?cq=1&p=6&n=28500

I referred the SIL to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC). Do you think that's the best one for her to start with?
HoT,
I was able to get into the site with the link that you posted. I did have to join the group in order to be able to post though. I noticed a different picture of Rose posted there. Do you know when that picture was taken? She looks older in it than in the 1st one posted.
I do think that SIL should try and get Rose listed at the NCMEC site along with any other sites that she can. The more the better IMO.

No, I don't know when that picture was taken. My guess is that the picture that the SIL originally said Rose was 14 in is actually a picture at about age 10-12, and the one you're seeing on the blog is actually 14-15. Just a guess, though.

I'll check out the new missing persons site you referenced... thanks, Shadow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member