CA CA - Rose Cole, 16, Oakland, 1972 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another possible Jane Doe. I really don't think the picture resembles Rose but it is a reconstruction.

http://doenetwork.us/cases/381uffl.html
The victim was discovered on June 9, 1973 in Pinellas County, Florida. (Rose mentioned Florida in one of the letters)

Estimated age: 14 - 17 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'1" (155 cm); 110 lbs (50 kg) (Ithink Rose was taller)
Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark auburn hair, wavy shoulder length; deep blue eyes.
She was new to the area, and was believed to have been a runaway from an unknown location. She had been living in the area for a few weeks prior to death and was believed to be a runaway associated with drug related activity.

Just wanted to let ya'll know that I've been checking my classmates account all day and still no reply from Colleen or Marlene. I sure wish I could get a reply from one of them...

Shadow, I think that one looks verrrrry good. I think that has enormous possibilities.

Shadow, it appears to have the same dark wavy hair and almost identical eyebrows. Apparently the part of the face that's been reconstructed (probably due to injuries in the accident) is the bottom half of the face. It's a little hard to tell about the high cheekbones due to that. I notice they don't mention that DNA is available... just fingerprints, which might be available thru Michigan Courts.

No, Pondering, she had green/hazel eyes according to what Isabela wrote me several weeks ago. I just went back thru all of my emails to find it, too. This may not be her after all.

It definitely had merit though....

Rose could also very possibly be alive... if she knew how the underground railroad got people out, and possibly gave them new I.D., maybe she learned how to do it herself?

Or even simply marrying someone would change her name!

If she thought the family had turned her back on her (even if they didn't!) she may have stuck out on her own and has raised a family?

Did Rose have a boyfriend before she was sent away? Were they serious?

Maybe DOA Cop will come by and check out your Jane Doe, Pondering. He can tell us better than anyone how much emphasis should be put on eye color. I would normally eliminate her across the board because of the eye color but also know that hazel eyes can change, and am not sure if deep blue is one of the possibilities with hazel eyes.

I pray you're right that Rose has since married and just doesn't know how to locate her family. I know Isabella's husband no longer lives in Flint. And I know Pose doesn't. And Opal has married and changed her name, so she's all but untraceable.

Shadow205 said:
Isabella,
You might want to check this out since you have a classmates membership.
Good idea, didn't occured to me to search under Synanon in Classmates.

Wendy Chanks:
" I was one of those Synanon kids that went to Tomales for a short time...that was a long time ago. After working in the music business for 15 years, I changed directions and now sell food to prisons...yes, it's strange but interesting work".
Schools
Tomales High School
Lake Havasu High Sch...
Pinecrest School
Kittridge Elementary...

Chris Haberman:
1968 disappeared into Synanon (you know why); was private investigator for 15 years; then became lawyer (criminal defense, civil rights) 10 years; now own business doing pharmaceutical marketing; married 16 years; no children; love to cook, garden, read

Schools
Campolindo High Scho...
Piner High School
Fairview Intermediat...

Robert Alder:
At present I am a Finance Manager for a major autogroup in the Dallas-Fort Worth area of Texas. I've been here for 11 years now. Since graduation, I've been married 3 times, but my current marriage has endured for almost 25 years (25th will be 10/12/00). I am still actively involved in youth intervention, and will likely continue doing that until I just can't anymore. Graduated, went to college, and never did finish. I drifted for awhile, and ended up in prison for drugs. Then, I got a little lucky and went to Synanon in the early 70s, where my recovery really started. I then worked in the social services field, for several "Drug programs. Eventually I had a private practice in Secaucus, NJ, until we moved here to Texas. I am an avid amateur radio operator (HAM), with extra class callsign of "N5NY", former "NZ2T". No kids, though I do have a Godchild who is like my daughter.

D. Christopher Decker: Could not find why hits under Synanon search, no info available

AND DEAR GOD!!!!!!!
Ginny(Regina,Reggie) Dederich :
Hi everyone:
After I graduated Allderdice, I went to Brandeis U. undergrad and then (amazingly) got my Master's in Education (a one-year program) at Harvard. I had decided that I wanted to be a teacher in California (which had one of the best educational systems at that time!) so I thought having a Master's Degree would help me get a better job. Indeed it did. I taught at a phenomenal school district, Portola Valley, which was the 'bedroom community' for Stanford and the Silicon Valley. From there I moved to San Franciscoor Stanford and the Silicon Valley. From there I moved to San Francisco; and, while continuing to teach, became involved (as a "square" in the community of Synanon, which was the incredible place where drug addicts and other character disorders were able to rebuild their lives. In 1977, I married Synanon's founder, Chuck Dederich, after his previous wife passed away of lung cancer. Chuck was 30 years my senior in age, but young of spirit and an incredible man. He was healthy for the first 10 years of our marriage, but sustained a series of mini-strokes (TIAs) and some other illnesses during the final 10 years of our life together.
He passed away about 7 years ago, and I am still in the house (in Visalia, CA) where we lived. During his illness, while I was home with him just about all the time, I did a lot of writing and am currently putting the finishing touches on a book I have been preparing for other caregivers. Hope to hear from some of you soon, and that you will share what YOU have been doing also.
Ginny

HeartofTexas said:
Maybe DOA Cop will come by and check out your Jane Doe, Pondering. He can tell us better than anyone how much emphasis should be put on eye color. I would normally eliminate her across the board because of the eye color but also know that hazel eyes can change, and am not sure if deep blue is one of the possibilities with hazel eyes.

I pray you're right that Rose has since married and just doesn't know how to locate her family. I know Isabella's husband no longer lives in Flint. And I know Pose doesn't. And Opal has married and changed her name, so she's all but untraceable.
To be honest, I put very little faith in eye color. As much as I hate to admit it, throughout my years in LE, I saw to many guesses or mistakes on things like that(sloppy police work) one little typo on a report and the eye color is changed. I never get hung up on eye color or hair color. Hey that can change with a bottle hair color.

HeartOfTexas just a point of clarification. The Jane Doe that has blue eyes is Shadow205's suggestion.

I suggested this one http://doenetwork.us/cases/169ufpa.html and this girl has brown eyes

Personally I classify brown or hazel in the same catagory as people often use either to describe the same color - but that's just me.

Shadow205 I would normally agree with you about the eye color BUT in this case the detective specifically mentioned the deep violet color of her eyes in an article I read... don't think its a typo

Will look more in the classmate website when I get home. Will e-mail the top three, not sure if I should try to contact the last one. What do you think?

rainbow said:
Synanon's founder Chuck Dederich's widow is on classmates. Do you think she could help with records or info?
I'll give it a shot! :sick:

You might try contacting Mrs. Dederich but from what I've read in the past few weeks on the internet, she is still very steeped in their beliefs and would probably be very guarded (so unlike all of the othe Synanites!) about anything smacking of a missing person.

PonderingThings said:
Shadow205 I would normally agree with you about the eye color BUT in this case the detective specifically mentioned the deep violet color of her eyes in an article I read... don't think its a typo
It does say on the doenetwork that the Jane Doe has "deep blue eyes".

Everythingelse looked good enough to check further though.

DOA Cop just signed on... maybe he can help us re the "deep blue eyes". And also give us his impression of the Florida Jane Doe in general.

To:
Sent:
April 06, 2006 04:21:44 PM Subject:
RE: Synanon runaway

Kelley: I would gladly help you, if I could; however, I honestly don't remember Rose. In 1972-73 Synanon was very large and I had been there for 4 or 5 years at that point, so might not have had anything to do with her. Sorry. Good luck in your search.
Chris

I edited his name because I wasn't sure if I could post it or not.

Jane Doe (CA 1979) had blue eyes (no doubting that). This was documented by two different parties, the scene investigator and again by the pathologist who conducted the examination. Her right eye was burned, but the left was completely intact

I communicated the folllowing with Mrs. Cole as well, and I think it's a good nugget to keep in your memory banks.

The smallest things that are typically overlooked can be the biggest things in an investigation like this. Something as small as an ear lobe (lobule) can just about rule in or out a potential match.

How?

Well, is it pierced, is the lobule fused or detatched - which is a known herditary trait - do the brothers, sisters or parents have the same characteristi? - There's a guy in Canada (Don't quote me on location) that has been conducting a study for decades on human "ear-prints." His conclusion was that ear-print is just as much a one-of-kind as a fingerprint. He's even introduced these findings in court for ear-prints left behind by burgalars who placed their ear / face up to glass to peer into their mark.

So that said, if jane or john doe has an obvious fused or free lobule and your missing person is the opposite - it's a pretty fair rule out.

Eye color is difficult - as there are factors that can effect what you see at a post-mortem examination; decomposition, excessive heat, fire, dependant lividity can really make it difficult as well because the eye becomes so conjested and tardeau spots start to appear.

Jane Doe (CA 1979) was known to be alive the night before - can't reveal why - but I can say that the side of her face that was intact was preserved enough that a false eye-color was not an issue.

Another thing I've noted over the years while dealing with Cold Case Files (I've solved four and during my tour have had only one active Doe case go unidentified - Jane Doe / Castro Valley, CA) is that much older cases seem to have a lot of "Approximation" in the height and weight department. I don't believe that the facility where Jane Doe (CA 1979) had her autopsy in 1979 had a scale big enough to measure a human on a gurney. That said - don't let height and weight send you off a trail too soon. Forensic Science is amazing, but science & the theories behind it are only as good as the humans who derived and dreamed them up - and we, humans, are all capable of being wrong. Case in point: Hawkins & his Black Hole theory were written in stone for the longest time - but now it's pretty much been debunked.

This all food for thought. I could babble for days and shut this site down with the boring factor - but I'll save you the pain.

You are all very dedicated volunteers - bravo to all of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rsteen