CA - Sam Haskell, 35, arrested after woman's torso found in a trash bin in Encino LA, Tarzana, wife & two adult family members missing, 8 Nov 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Returning the bags to the owner's home was the safest thing for the workers to do. Had they been found with those bags, they undoubtedly would have been accused of the murders themselves. That's apparent from the way they were treated with suspicion when they tried to report what they saw to LE.

The local LE should have done a better job, even though it was an unusual situation. LAPD, state and county sheriff have had jurisdictional issues before. There have been some cases here where investigations into serious crimes suffered.

I agree that it makes sense the day laborers wanted to bring the bags back to the house. They did so almost immediately. Given the hard time they had reporting the crime, can you imagine what mess might have happened if they called 911 with the bags in their truck?!? They were smart to get rid of the bags, and I commend them for being so diligent when getting the runaround from LE.

I am recalling a time I reported a pickpocket to my local police station. I was pickpocketed in a different neighborhood and the cop at the station told me I had to go to the other precinct. I was so bummed and I guess it showed because he then agreed to call it in to the other jurisdiction and he got it done while I sat there. (I live in Manhattan so it's not like the cop wasn't busy.) I understand the laborers didn't go to the correct station at first, but I wish their report would've been taken more seriously and they were given a better response than "go outside and call 911." Come on, it was body parts they were reporting! Glad it all got sorted out quickly, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

jmo

Returning the bags to the owner's home was the safest thing for the workers to do. Had they been found with those bags, they undoubtedly would have been accused of the murders themselves. That's apparent from the way they were treated with suspicion when they tried to report what they saw to LE.

The local LE should have done a better job, even though it was an unusual situation. LAPD, state and county sheriff have had jurisdictional issues before. There have been some cases here where investigations into serious crimes suffered.

I disagree with your first paragraph and agree with the second.

As deranged as Haskell is - I consider the men lucky they weren't harmed when returning the bags. We know they interacted with him, because he tried to play it off as "fake Halloween props". Now he has witnesses who can track the murders back to him, again the men are lucky.

In addition, didn't the men remove three bags, but only one was found in the dumpster? If so, now there is a loss of evidence. I know LE mishandled the reporting, but they could have insisted or found a beat cop and showed them what was in the bags.

I disagree with your first paragraph and agree with the second.

As deranged as Haskell is - I consider the men lucky they weren't harmed when returning the bags. We know they interacted with him, because he tried to play it off as "fake Halloween props". Now he has witnesses who can track the murders back to him, again the men are lucky.

In addition, didn't the men remove three bags, but only one was found in the dumpster? If so, now there is a loss of evidence. I know LE mishandled the reporting, but they could have insisted or found a beat cop and showed them what was in the bags.
RBBM

Are you thinking of whatever Haskell put into the trash at the mall? From what I've read, police were searching dumpsters but IIRC that was prior to Haskells arrest at the mall. Either that or perhaps the workers dumped one bag and discovered the contents and returned the other bags?

Respectfully, I feel that the workers did their best and without them, this might have gone unsolved. They went to 2 stations and were told to call 911. That delay could have done so much more harm.

RBBM

Are you thinking of whatever Haskell put into the trash at the mall? From what I've read, police were searching dumpsters but IIRC that was prior to Haskells arrest at the mall. Either that or perhaps the workers dumped one bag and discovered the contents and returned the other bags?

Respectfully, I feel that the workers did their best and without them, this might have gone unsolved. They went to 2 stations and were told to call 911. That delay could have done so much more harm.
Haskell was caught on very clear video dumping that bag himself, after the workers refused to take them.

That bag was found by a homeless person, who reported it to police, which was when LE finally took this case seriously.

I suspect the bags with the other victims are in other dumpsters. They may never be found, but it sounds like there is forensic evidence from the home that all three adults were killed, so at least there's that. They should get justice.

MOO

Haskell was caught on very clear video dumping that bag himself, after the workers refused to take them.

That bag was found by a homeless person, who reported it to police, which was when LE finally took this case seriously.

I suspect the bags with the other victims are in other dumpsters. They may never be found, but it sounds like there is forensic evidence from the home that all three adults were killed, so at least there's that. They should get justice.

MOO
So that would be the one bag that LE recovered and the other 2 are the ones @Knox is referring to? My apologies I've misunderstood which bags were located. I was under the impression that Haskell had a 4th bag of evidence and that the other 3 were unaccounted for. I'd read that surveillance footage was from Haskells neighbours.

Everything about this makes my stomach turn. Those poor children lost so many of their loved ones and have to grow up knowing their father killed their family. My heart goes out the the rest of Meis family.

<modsnip: Title will be edited when victims are officially identified and names released>

Last edited by a moderator:
So that would be the one bag that LE recovered and the other 2 are the ones @Knox is referring to? My apologies I've misunderstood which bags were located. I was under the impression that Haskell had a 4th bag of evidence and that the other 3 were unaccounted for. I'd read that surveillance footage was from Haskells neighbours.

Everything about this makes my stomach turn. Those poor children lost so many of their loved ones and have to grow up knowing their father killed their family. My heart goes out the the rest of Meis family.

<modsnip: Title will be edited when victims are officially identified and names released>
The article Knox linked to back here in the threads makes it pretty clear that there are two different pieces of footage, one of Haskell dumping the bag that was found, another of the workers returning/refusing the bags. They would have come from different cameras. I have no idea about a fourth bag, but I think it's likely there were more than three, simply because we're talking about three adult human beings, here, and that takes up a lot of space.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
The article Knox linked to back here in the threads makes it pretty clear that there are two different pieces of footage, one of Haskell dumping the bag that was found, another of the workers returning/refusing the bags. They would have come from different cameras. I have no idea about a fourth bag, but I think it's likely there were more than three, simply because we're talking about three adult human beings, here, and that takes up a lot of space.

MOO
I keep getting my threads mixed up & got confused with another one :rolleyes: Apologies!

Agree, I also think there might be more than the 3 bags given to the workers as it just makes sense. Some luggage might be missing.

I'm confused. (and, yes, I confuse easily)
So when do you presume these screams happened? The article mentioned that neighbors heard screams the night PRIOR to his arrest. Are you implying that other family members were killed after the Latino workers were hired to pick up the heavy garbage bags?
Isn't it possible the workers were removing bags of her parents bady parts and reported that. Possibly the screams were her then he is seen at dumpster before being arrested. All my opinion of course.

RBBM

Just to clarify, because I grew up in the SF Valley- the dumpsters weren't at the same mall that he was arrested at. They were in a strip mall East of where he lives(Tarzana)- in Encino, the Topanga Plaza mall is West -Canoga Park/Woodland Hills.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, because I grew up in the SF Valley- the dumpsters weren't at the same mall that he was arrested at. They were in a strip mall East of where he lives(Tarzana)- in Encino, the Topanga Plaza mall is West -Canoga Park/Woodland Hills.
Thank you for clarifying! I apologize for being confused, I've been getting mixed up in threads and having confusion due to symptoms. Sorry guys!

I've been wondering if Haskell didn't ditch evidence along the way too. Maybe not at the mall where he was picked up. He seems a bit oblivious, I'm hoping he left some bread crumbs.

The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) said that parts of a human body were discovered by a homeless person in a parking lot near Ventura Boulevard and Rubio Avenue Wednesday morning, NBC Los Angeles, KTLA and KABC-TV.

“When the officers responded they discovered a dismembered female wrapped in a plastic bag. It was just outside the dumpster, they confirmed that it was human remains,” LAPD Detective Efren Gutierrez said in a press conference, per NBC Los Angeles.

Authorities said the body was so dismembered that they were unable to identify the person, per NBC News. However, KTLA reported that they were able to determine that the dismembered body was murdered in the past few days.
L.A. Man Whose Wife Is Missing Arrested After Woman's Torso Found in a Dumpster

77599765-12729227-image-a-3_1699526785672.jpg

Cops have arrested a husband after finding a woman's torso in a plastic bag tossed into a parking lot dumpster near a family restaurant and nail salon.

Samuel Haskell, who lives in Tarzana, LA, just five miles from where the human remains were discovered, was arrested around 11am yesterday and is being held on $2 million bail, abc7 reports. He has been charged with one count of murder.

Haskell's wife, Mei Haskell, and her parents Yanxiang Wang and Gaoshen Li are missing and all three were living in the Tarzana home with the suspect.
[snip]
After reviewing CCTV footage of the area, police said they were pointed to Haskell's house in the 4100 block of Coldstream Terrace in Tarzana, about five miles from where the torso was dumped, according to the LA Times.

Haskell lived at the home with his wife, her parents and the couple's three children.

The children were located in school yesterday and were handed over to the Department of Children and Family Services.
Cops arrest husband after finding woman's torso in plastic bag
Not relevant but wow she was gorgeous. So tragic and horrific.

Samuel Haskell Jr. was hit with 3 counts of murder -- even though cops say they only recovered body parts of one victim -- and now we know why.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... the reason Haskell is charged with three murders is because of what witnesses told police and what cops later found at his home.

Our sources say the day laborers Samuel hired to haul away trash bags from his home are key to the case ... they told cops they grew suspicious, opened a bag, saw body parts, and brought the bags back to Haskell.

We're told there's also biological evidence found at the home where his wife and in-laws lived before going missing. Our law enforcement sources tell us the biological evidence is from 3 different people. We do not know the nature of the biological evidence, but we do know police found blood at the house.

TMZ also got footage of the day laborers hauling 3 trash bags from his home, driving off, before ultimately returning the bags to his driveway. The workers then went to police and Haskell drove his Tesla to a nearby strip mall and dumped a bag in the dumpster.

Video's at link-

I feel like LE really dropped the ball on this case in re: to the day laborers. They were turned away from the first station they went to and told to go outside the second station and call 911. It boggles my mind. It's not like they were reporting something frivolous. The first place could have said it's not our jurisdiction (or whatever the excuse was) but we will help. And then they should have initiated a call to their superiors and/or LE in the correct jurisdiction. I mean, it was bags (plural) of body parts. I really do think LE in multiple places blew them off because they were day laborers. I think some of the LE need to be reprimanded, as well as additional training on handling and prioritizing reporting. Imo.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babycakes15
Back