CA - Sam Haskell, 35, arrested after woman's torso found in a trash bin in Encino LA, Tarzana, wife & two adult family members missing, 8 Nov 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This case isn't getting the coverage that similar cases get. I'm sure it has to do with his father being a former Hollywood power player. :(
I think 90% of the reason this isn't a bigger story is because the family knows how to shut down publicity. The other 10% is because the case is, essentially, solved. There is no mystery of finding the killer because he was arrested before the public ever knew there was a crime.

For those who pay attention to the news, there are so many big, troubling stories right now that overshadow this one. For those who don't follow news, a gory murder with the killer in jail is not likely going to get their attention.

jmo

I think 90% of the reason this isn't a bigger story is because the family knows how to shut down publicity. The other 10% is because the case is, essentially, solved. There is no mystery of finding the killer because he was arrested before the public ever knew there was a crime.

For those who pay attention to the news, there are so many big, troubling stories right now that overshadow this one. For those who don't follow news, a gory murder with the killer in jail is not likely going to get their attention.

jmo
Very true and thanks for putting it into perspective.

I must be old school. I still watch T.V. news daily and read the L.A. Times.

I don't know how old you are, but over 55's are the ones who are still watching TV news and the L.A. Times (probably more TV than L.A. Times). OTOH, many of my friends have stopped reading much news, as we have enough to depress us already - you are brave!

I'm now curious where @imstilla.grandma found it! (Thank you, @imstilla!)

First article in the L.A. Times is on the 9th I think, so kudos to the L.A. Times - my DH says he saw the headline but didn't read the article (not a true crime fan and the headline just mentioned dumpster and "Hollywood" connections, which wouldn't have caught my eye immediately, either)

I have said I live "near" the crime scene, but in L.A. that means I'm about 15 miles away. I have family that lives less than 2 miles away, though, so have visited there often. If the headline had said Encino or Tarzana I would have immediately clicked. It's a mostly affluent area. I couldn't possibly afford to live there. I have friends who are renting 2-3 bedroom apartments in the area for $4000/month, all of them one-income families. The Jackson family lives and still partly lives in Encino; this was a 4000 sf "mansion" (to me it is, our house is 1500 sf). It had so many rooms! The murder/suicide of Phil Hartman and his wife Brynn took place in the same area, but generally, it's a lower crime area of Los Angeles. The crime that does occur is often related to burglary and nearly everyone has cameras and garage door openers and garages they can actually drive their cars into, at least as far as I've observed (have gone to get togethers at colleague's houses and know my family members' neighbors a bit).

I'm glad that the kids have one set of grandparents left. This is so tragic.

IMO. (Thanks to you, RN, because now I'm reading the L.A. Times again!)

The crime that does occur is often related to burglary and nearly everyone has cameras and garage door openers and garages they can actually drive their cars into, at least as far as I've observed (have gone to get togethers at colleague's houses and know my family members' neighbors a bit).
RSBM

Well, that explains why they have such great video of the day labourers turning up for then refusing the job, and Haskell dumping the bag later. It helps when all the rich folks are being Big Brother already, and are happy to turn over their recordings to you to help you keep their neighbourhood safer.

MOO

That timing doesn't make sense to me. He was arrested on Nov 8 so the night before would be Nov 7, wouldn't it? But the bags were being dumped during the day on Nov 7.
I wonder if the kids were arguing with their Dad, about where Mom and grandparents were, and they knew he was acting nutzo? They could have been screaming , possibly having seen or remembered something terrifying?

I think they knew something horrible was going on---SH is too crazy to keep it all hidden. Those poor boys. May God embrace them and protect them through this nightmare.

Last edited:
He has a younger sister named Mary Lane Haskell who is an actress. There seem to be many photos of his parents with Mary but not with SH. Though one article stated the neighbors have seen his parents before and they are always around the kids.
Sam the 4th met Mei in college. I think his parents knew he was troubled---he had issues in high school for sure.

But meeting and settling down with this sweet, intelligent beautiful young woman calmed his parents fears, imo. They hoped and prayed she could keep him under control by loving him, etc.

This FOX News article has new info and an account of a childhood friend he pulled a machete on as a juvenile:

“However, a few years into their friendship, Haskell became awkward, she said. He began calling too much and showing up at her house uninvited. When she and her brother asked him to stop, he allegedly pulled out a massive machete on them.

"My brother came out to be a brother, and my brother was way older," she said. "[Sam] went into the trunk of his car and pulled out a machete, not just a pocket knife, a knife."

Just saw this article -- please excuse if it is a repeat.
- - - - - - - -

Son of Hollywood Agent Now Charged in 'Gruesome' Deaths of Wife, in-Laws After Torso Found in Dumpster​

Samuel Haskell is charged with three counts of murder, with a special circumstance of multiple murders
By
Liam Quinn
Published on November 14, 2023 12:07PM EST

The man suspected of murder after a torso was found in a dumpster has now been officially charged with three counts of murder in connection with the deaths of his wife and in-laws, the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office says.
[...]
“These shocking and gruesome crimes have sent shockwaves through our community. We stand with the victims’ loved ones during this unimaginably difficult time and will do everything in our power to ensure justice is served.,” District Attorney George Gascón said in a statement. “Our Major Crimes Division will work tirelessly to bring about a prosecution that reflects the severity of this devastating crime.”
CNN reports that Haskell is the son of producer and Hollywood agent Sam Haskell, who has represented stars like Whoopi Goldberg and Dolly Parton.
. . . . . . . .
Source:

From @LooksSusToMe link

"If you just look at any of his TikTok videos, or if you heard him at all open his mouth and just say, 'Hi,' you can tell he’s weird," she said. "But that’s fine because, well, it didn’t end up being fine, but at the time, prior to this, being weird didn’t mean that you couldn’t be nice and kind."

Here's to SH's tiktok account.

tragicstreetz

From @LooksSusToMe link

"If you just look at any of his TikTok videos, or if you heard him at all open his mouth and just say, 'Hi,' you can tell he’s weird," she said. "But that’s fine because, well, it didn’t end up being fine, but at the time, prior to this, being weird didn’t mean that you couldn’t be nice and kind."

Here's to SH's tiktok account.

tragicstreetz
I can only listen/tolerate for a few seconds.

I went thru all of his tiktoks and came out feeling like I'd seen a frightening movie with terrifying characters like Norman Bates bc there's that one, for instance, where he models the designer handbag.
Several showed displays of exotic foods with caviar and it's not the cowboy kind. He won't be enjoying either variety where he's spending the rest of his life.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717
Back