CA - Sam Haskell, 35, arrested after woman's torso found in a trash bin in Encino LA, Tarzana, wife & two adult family members missing, 8 Nov 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
With this timeline, I wonder if one of the kids stumbled onto/into an area with blood/where the murders may have taken place? Moo.
But the kids were at school on Wednesday? Sam's sister said she was going to pick them up from school that day, when she found out what happened and rushed to the home.

If that happened Tuesday night and it was one of the kids who stumbled upon something. Would they have been sent to school Wednesday? What if they told someone what they saw?

I think it's much more likely the neighbor's daughter may have confused what night she heard the scream and car sqealing away from the home. It wasn't the night before Sam was arrested (Tuesday night) and it wasn't one of the kids.

Further, did the article actually say the neighbor's daughter said the scream was from one of the Haskell children? If so, I missed that important detail.

Authorities allege that Samuel hired day laborers on Nov. 7 to dispose of four large trash bags. One of the laborers opened a bag that contained body parts, authorities claim.

The next day, the district attorney’s office says, Samuel was observed allegedly disposing of another trash bag that was later found to have a human torso in it. He was arrested the next day.

But the kids were at school on Wednesday? Sam's sister said she was going to pick them up from school that day, when she found out what happened and rushed to the home.

If that happened Tuesday night and it was one of the kids who stumbled upon something. Would they have been sent to school Wednesday? What if they told someone what they saw?

I think it's much more likely the neighbor's daughter may have confused what night she heard the scream and car sqealing away from the home. It wasn't the night before Sam was arrested (Tuesday night) and it wasn't one of the kids.

Further, did the article actually say the neighbor's daughter said the scream was from one of the Haskell children? If so, I missed that important detail.

My comment was based on the timeline posted here:
Post in thread 'CA - Sam Haskell, 35, arrested after woman's torso found in a trash bin in Encino LA, Tarzana, wife & two adult family members missing, 8 Nov 2023' CA - Sam Haskell, 35, arrested after woman's torso found in a trash bin in Encino LA, Tarzana, wife & two adult family members missing, 8 Nov 2023

I think elements of the timeline came from various news reports. The NY Post, for example, said:

"Benami said the night before Haskell was arrested on November 8, her daughter was in her bedroom around 9 p.m. when she heard a scream from one of the Haskell children.

“We’re next-door neighbors, so my daughter’s room is on the side of the house that borders the Haskells’ property,” Benami said. “My daughter said she heard a scream, ‘Help! Help! Hello?’ And then she heard a car door slam and screeching of tires and a car driving off.”

I hadn't seen the comments re: SH's sister going to get the kids. What news source was that from?

My comment was based on the timeline posted here:
Post in thread 'CA - Sam Haskell, 35, arrested after woman's torso found in a trash bin in Encino LA, Tarzana, wife & two adult family members missing, 8 Nov 2023' CA - Sam Haskell, 35, arrested after woman's torso found in a trash bin in Encino LA, Tarzana, wife & two adult family members missing, 8 Nov 2023

I think elements of the timeline came from various news reports. The NY Post, for example, said:

"Benami said the night before Haskell was arrested on November 8, her daughter was in her bedroom around 9 p.m. when she heard a scream from one of the Haskell children.

“We’re next-door neighbors, so my daughter’s room is on the side of the house that borders the Haskells’ property,” Benami said. “My daughter said she heard a scream, ‘Help! Help! Hello?’ And then she heard a car door slam and screeching of tires and a car driving off.”

I hadn't seen the comments re: SH's sister going to get the kids. What news source was that from?
Thank you for linking, my mistake. The sister mention is in your same link.

He spoke little in court Monday as the judge told the media that his face could not be photographed. Wearing his hair long, shackles and a suicide prevention vest, he scowled at the judge. He spoke only once, answering "Yes" when the judge asked if he understood what was happening.

1700102119257.png

• Friends of Mei Haskell told DailyMail.com that she told them for years she wanted to leave her husband Samuel Haskell IV, 35
  • 'She was afraid that her husband would take away the kids with the help of his very rich and influential father,' said one friend

I live and work very close by and haven't heard or read a single thing about it (until I read it here). I don't subscribe to the LA Times because it's too expensive. Most of the people I know use the KTLA news page (for major news, such as yesterday's fire under the 10 freeway - which is catastrophic for L.A. area commuters - and for people all across the West who would like to keep their store shelves stocked).

Lots of people are arrested daily in Los Angeles. I don't consider myself isolated at all. Where I'm reading about this case is in the NYT and the Guardian (there's way more information today - the POI/arrestee is the son of a prominent talent agent, apparently). So now TMZ is covering it. I don't know anyone who has cable or watches TMZ, personally. I used to, a decade ago, but we cut the cable and I get my news online - like everyone else I know (students, their families, colleagues, etc - and I do have a source of data, because I have been asking students where they and their families get news - and having them interview grandparents and parents - for about 20 years). It's mostly individual devices, reddit, news.google.com etc. And nothing came up on my news.google about this case until I read about it here and searched for it - so now Google knows I'm interested.

I just searched KTLA and there was a small article (not near the top of the their front page) about what's in the TMZ article (the fact that there's video and TMZ is reporting is rippling through my own source of local news - I imagine it would be the same for other people). Even then, the man's name is not in the headline of the article - I don't usually click on gruesome stories about body dumping, which is what the article is about.

IMO.
I'm in the Bay Area and found the story on Google News, and I got interested because my parents used to live in Tarzana not far from this guy's home.

The picture of Mei with the marks on her neck in the NY Post is disturbing.

That looks like a tattoo (or a tattoo choker) to me. I saw it in another photo of her as well...just less obvious.

Just saw this -- as usual, please excuse if it is a repeat:
. . . . . .

Hollywood Agent’s Son Accused of Killing Wife, in-Laws Collected Weapons and Was 'Socially Awkward': Neighbor

Samuel Haskell IV is charged with three counts of murder after a torso was found in a dumpster
By Liam Quinn
Published on November 16, 2023 12:10PM EST
. . . .
A son of a former Hollywood producer and agent is facing three counts of murder, with authorities alleging that he killed his wife and in-laws after a human torso was found in a dumpster.
[...]
Elle Benami, who has lived next door to the Haskells since they moved in in 2020, tells PEOPLE that she never really had an actual conversation with Sam, though she became fast friends with the much more outgoing Mei.
“I knew him to be not social, maybe kind of socially awkward,” Benami says of her neighbor, who is now charged with murder.
. . . . . . . .
Source:

The picture of Mei with the marks on her neck in the NY Post is disturbing.

That is one of those stretchy chokers people used to wear they come in multiple colors. By no means am I defending SH just stating what is in the photo in my opinion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231117_055115_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231117_055115_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 3
Our sources say the day laborers Samuel hired to haul away trash bags from his home are key to the case ... they told cops they grew suspicious, opened a bag, saw body parts, and brought the bags back to Haskell.

TMZ also got footage of the day laborers hauling 3 trash bags from his home, driving off, before ultimately returning the bags to his driveway. The workers then went to police and Haskell drove his Tesla to a nearby strip mall and dumped a bag in the dumpster.
Samuel Haskell Jr. Charged with 3 Murders But Only 1 Body Recovered

They drove back to Haskell’s home, left the bags on the driveway and returned the money.

The worker said they told Haskell they didn’t want to be involved, and Haskell tried to pass the body parts off as Halloween props.

The men said they drove immediately to the police, but were turned away from two law enforcement stations when they tried to report what they saw. First, from the California Highway Patrol station on De Soto Avenue in Woodland Hills, where the men said they were directed to the Los Angeles Police Department. Then from the LAPD Topanga Station, they were told to leave and call 911 from the courtyard.

The men said they feared for their lives.
'Started seeing body parts': Tarzana murder suspect hired day laborers to move bags of human remains
(note, statements from the day laborers about specifically what the felt and saw in those bags for those with the stomach for it at this link)

SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Who hires day laborers to remove a few body part filled garbage bags from their home for $500?
Who finds body parts in bags someone paid you $500 to dispose of and then RETURNS SAID BAGS TO OWNER??
What sort of police officer tells men who are reporting having seen and handled a dismembered body or bodies you are at the wrong police station???
What sort of police officer tells men who are reporting having seen and handled a dismembered body or bodies you can't report that in here you should go stand in the courtyard and call 911????

and as for Elle Benami - her story gets more and more involved and appears to be evolving depending on which interview of the day it is for her. Methinks it is time for her to get back to her life and let go of this 15 minutes JMO

Our sources say the day laborers Samuel hired to haul away trash bags from his home are key to the case ... they told cops they grew suspicious, opened a bag, saw body parts, and brought the bags back to Haskell.

TMZ also got footage of the day laborers hauling 3 trash bags from his home, driving off, before ultimately returning the bags to his driveway. The workers then went to police and Haskell drove his Tesla to a nearby strip mall and dumped a bag in the dumpster.
Samuel Haskell Jr. Charged with 3 Murders But Only 1 Body Recovered

They drove back to Haskell’s home, left the bags on the driveway and returned the money.

The worker said they told Haskell they didn’t want to be involved, and Haskell tried to pass the body parts off as Halloween props.

The men said they drove immediately to the police, but were turned away from two law enforcement stations when they tried to report what they saw. First, from the California Highway Patrol station on De Soto Avenue in Woodland Hills, where the men said they were directed to the Los Angeles Police Department. Then from the LAPD Topanga Station, they were told to leave and call 911 from the courtyard.

The men said they feared for their lives.
'Started seeing body parts': Tarzana murder suspect hired day laborers to move bags of human remains
(note, statements from the day laborers about specifically what the felt and saw in those bags for those with the stomach for it at this link)

SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Who hires day laborers to remove a few body part filled garbage bags from their home for $500?
Who finds body parts in bags someone paid you $500 to dispose of and then RETURNS SAID BAGS TO OWNER??
What sort of police officer tells men who are reporting having seen and handled a dismembered body or bodies you are at the wrong police station???
What sort of police officer tells men who are reporting having seen and handled a dismembered body or bodies you can't report that in here you should go stand in the courtyard and call 911????

and as for Elle Benami - her story gets more and more involved and appears to be evolving depending on which interview of the day it is for her. Methinks it is time for her to get back to her life and let go of this 15 minutes JMO
In regard to your last paragraph. I agree!! She is muddying the waters at this point- particularly the statement about what her daughter heard on Tuesday night. I’ll be curious to see if that turns out to be true.

Returning the bags to the owner's home was the safest thing for the workers to do. Had they been found with those bags, they undoubtedly would have been accused of the murders themselves. That's apparent from the way they were treated with suspicion when they tried to report what they saw to LE.

The local LE should have done a better job, even though it was an unusual situation. LAPD, state and county sheriff have had jurisdictional issues before. There have been some cases here where investigations into serious crimes suffered.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back