Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We should all keep in mind the Denise Huskins case, where even the police (publicly!) did not believe the victim. The story turned out to be completely true, but the circumstances were so weird that nobody believed her at first. What a horrible thing to go through. And i'm keeping my fingers crossed that that's the case here - though that sounds bad because it would be better that no one go through such trauma - because of the racial element now espoused in the case. A false accusation of such a serious crime is the last thing we need here in California right now.

This is going to be relatively easy to prove or disprove, so long as LE has access to Sherri, and she speaks openly about what happened. She was gone for three weeks, so she needs to have a detailed story of what was happening to her during that time. It's not something you can easily make up. Certainly not make it up and repeat it accurately over time in follow up interviews.

The problem is that there are currently 10 threads on this case here, and yet we know almost nothing. So it's really impossible to draw any conclusions. From what has been released, her story seems quite improbable. But no doubt there are many things that haven't been released, so we're just going to have to wait and see.

Confused. Was a ransom demanded or OFFERED? To me this sounds like a sort of reverse ransom.....like, only by the 23rd will we give you some ransom money and after that, the money becomes reward money....???? HUH? It makes sense to me for LE to be mum about the nature of injuries IF she indeed was sexually assaulted....she would have been treated and rape-tested and LE may be waiting for DNA results. Also, does anyone recall reading whether or not she was employed outside the home? If children were in day care and she was out jogging, did she just have the day off? JMO

The 300lb elephant in the room is that the kidnappers have been identified as a racial minority, hispanic. So, that darned well better turn out to be true.

I wasn't aware of this previously...Latinos outnumber whites in California. They may be considered a "minority", but they are not in the minority.
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83948649/

NOTE: I had thought in one of the pressers the word Latino was used but now I see the word is Hispanic. So down the rabbit hole I went to see what the difference was.

Per google.. In short, “Hispanic” focuses on Spanish-speaking origin. This means Spain is included, but Brazil is not because Brazilians speak Portuguese. “Latino” refers to people of Latin American origin. This includes Brazil and excludes Spain.

ETA: Corrected/Changed Caucasian to whites

In regards to the question about her employment in the previous thread:
At first I was hoping for an answer but caught on that the sister was going to keep saying she didn't know or no comment. In my opinion, the second she would give some other form of an answer, the questions would just keep spilling.

Why wasn't she at work?
Who at work would target her?
Is that why her kids were at daycare?
Did she work from home?
And as someone said before, reporters would be bombarding her employer or coworkers.

As frustrating as it is, I guess it was for the best. Let's see what we learn this week....

Editing to add: I'm not really asking these questions. It's just an example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is going to be relatively easy to prove or disprove, so long as LE has access to Sherri, and she speaks openly about what happened. She was gone for three weeks, so she needs to have a detailed story of what was happening to her during that time. It's not something you can easily make up. Certainly not make it up and repeat it accurately over time in follow up interviews.

The problem is that there are currently 10 threads on this case here, and yet we know almost nothing. So it's really impossible to draw any conclusions. From what has been released, her story seems quite improbable. But no doubt there are many things that haven't been released, so we're just going to have to wait and see.

Certainly from a criminals point of view this is a strange scenario as well, based on what we know. The longer you keep someone the more risky it becomes. Same goes for when you are transporting them a far distance like that. A situation like this just begs the question - Why?

Obviously financial gain is the most reasonable and compelling motive but we don't really have enough information yet. Although we've already touched upon sex trafficking and gang initiation, but realistically I'm thinking this probably isn't anything outlandish.

But it's true, the lack of information does make it even more convoluted.

Whew. Caught up. I have been following the case, but not posting much this weekend as the thread moved too fast for me.

I know some are uncomfortable with the skepticism some of us have about the story. I for one still have "hoax" on my list of possibilities ALONG WITH forced abduction. I am on the fence.

I am not on the fence because I'm a mean person looking to find fault with every detail in the case. I'm on the fence because from the start, there is something "off" about this case.

Maybe it's "off" simply because it doesn't follow what is expected in missing person cases (and thank goodness - I'm so happy we have a victim who came home alive!). Maybe it's "off" because it really is "off." My hinky meter is still ticking, while at the same time wishing recovery to SP and her family. Whatever happened, it was an unpleasant ordeal for all of them.

We don't know exactly what happened yet. AS WE GET MORE INFO, of course we will all understand more and adjust our thoughts to the truth. It doesn't mean anyone gets to say "told you so," because all of us are guessing and piecing together the elements as we go along.

I really do think LE will solve this.

jmopinion, subject to change as we learn more.....

I wasn't aware of this previously...Latinos outnumber whites in California. They may be considered a "minority", but they are not in the minority.

Doesn't that make the statement put out by the police all the more ridiculous? They are looking for two hispanic women in California? Imagine them saying they are looking for "two white women in a dark SUV"... OK, great, thanks for that. You've just described about 3 million cars on the road at any given time in California... Why even make a general statement like this? It only vilifies a particular ethnic group, while adding zero to their efforts to find the culprits, if they actually exist...

Quote Originally Posted by sumzero I don't understand this concerted effort to minimize or dismiss what in most any other circumstance would be regarded as a reliable eyewitness report.

You've misunderstood my post, sumzero. I am not part of any "concerted effort" to "minimize or dismiss what in most any other circumstance would be regarded as a reliable eyewitness report."

Quite the contrary.

I was pointing out the the original poster that his or her claiming CHP only writes traffic tickets minimized CHP's duties.

Of course CHP can ascertain whether a person has been heavily battered.

BBM.What could that mean? Has she had contact with LE before?

ETA and they are checking her past and online activity? Is that normal in a kidnapping, to focus on the victim like that? What are they doing to try and find the two Hispanic women?
That's all the stuff we're not supposed to talk about!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

IIRC, there was a question posed earlier on that had to do with LE responding to the Papini home at some point prior to Sherri's disappearance and LE's response was that it was unrelated to her disappearance.

Oh yes, we'll remembered. Well, if they're looking into it now they must think it could be connected after all. Perhaps the family have been a victim of crime in the past, or even received threats, and LE are checking if there is a connection.

NOTE: I had thought in one of the pressers the word Latino was used but now I see the word is Hispanic. So down the rabbit hole I went to see what the difference was.

Per google.. In short, “Hispanic” focuses on Spanish-speaking origin. This means Spain is included, but Brazil is not because Brazilians speak Portuguese. “Latino” refers to people of Latin American origin. This includes Brazil and excludes Spain.

ETA: Corrected/Changed Caucasian to whites

Exactly. I'm from Spain so I'm Hispanic but not Latino. People confuse the two terms.

The sheriff said that the case is still an active investigation and that authorities are “looking for a dark-colored SUV with two Hispanic females armed with a handgun.”

What happens if they see a dark-colored SUV with two Hispanic females not armed with a handgun? I'm serious. It's not like they're going to be waving the gun out the window. Are they allowed to stop an SUV with what looks like two Hispanic females inside and question them?

I highly doubt it. The description is too vague to support probable cause to pull someone over. Two Hispanic women in a dark SUV can mean any two women in the population. Hispanic means they come from a Spanish speaking country. I actually fit that description yet when people hear me speaking Spanish they automatically assume I'm speaking Italian or some other Romance language because I don't fit their idea of what a Hispanic woman looks like. I live in Sacramento. I didn't see a single dark SUV pulled over this weekend. Either the police have more clues they are not releasing or that is just something the sheriff said haphazardly. I hope he clears it up this week.

BBM.What could that mean? Has she had contact with LE before?

ETA and they are checking her past and online activity? Is that normal in a kidnapping, to focus on the victim like that? What are they doing to try and find the two Hispanic women?

There could have been threats or online stalkers. It doesn't surprise me they would check.

I didn't realize it was in presser that two Hispanic women abducted her, but one released her

[video=youtube;uU86kyKLaUM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU86kyKLaUM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU86kyKLaUM[/video]

That's all the stuff we're not supposed to talk about!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Based on the information out there, that we can't discuss, this case is a whole different animal than what is being discussed here. We are looking at crumbs on the floor with a microscope while godzilla is destroying Tokyo. My take on this case would get me tossed off here in a second.

Exactly. I'm from Spain so I'm Hispanic but not Latino. People confuse the two terms.

I am learning.... I first posted and typed in Caucasian as I thought was equivalent to "white". After I researched latino vs. hispanic, I then researched white vs. Caucasian.

Boy... was I ignorant!

I had no idea as to the vast difference in the definition of white and Caucasian, as I have thought previously synonymous. :blushing:

I learn so much here at WS.

O/T I love love loved my experience visiting Spain! The culture, the history (the handsome men! :bigsmile:) Having years in school taking Spanish benefited me greatly.

They said "hispanic" but I'm sure they are not suggesting the two suspects are from Spain. So this is a really interesting question, what exactly does a "hispanic" or "latino" woman look like? Yeah there are so many possible "looks" as to make that description useless. Did they speak in Spanish, or in English with a latin-american accent? Or, maybe they really are from Spain. Barcelona even. Be on the lookout for flamenco dancers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14