Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, This is my first post although I have been following this story from thread 1.
I live locally and wanted to add there is a correctional facility in Susanville, about 100 miles east of Redding.
From a local residents point of view I just wanted to say that while I start by believing SP, as that is what I would want for myself , I am having a lot of trouble as a local resident.
It was reported that SP called the mayor (refer to thread 9 #6 407p) on November 25. I wonder why if SP could get it together enough to call the mayor on the 25th then why not talk to the Sheriff so the rest of us are safer? She says she did not recognize voices, these were strangers so did they drive you 5 minutes or 5 hours on the first day? It would have helped LE cast a net so to speak.
I happened to be at the market around 11a on Thanksgiving, they were just taking down the missing signs, initial word was she jumped out of the car and was tied up. As the information unfolds, Sheriff Bosenko sounds like he has changed his tone a little to me. In his 1st press conference he said it was "individual" for a victim to be let go, the next day I believe he acknowledged on GMA that it was "very unusual". He is still saying he believes SP, maybe he does or maybe he wants to keep the conversation moving forward. KRCR reported that detectives from the Sheriff 's office interviewed SP for hours yesterday, reviewed the information last night and now want to interview her again. My last point would be in my opinion, there is obvious disconnect between the Papini family and the Sheriff's office as KP made his statement to GMA without the Sheriff knowing (until one hour before) and by disclosing details the Sheriff did not want disclosed like the branding. Our local station KRCR reported the brand is a message but that is all they said. It just does not feel like there is a real threat out there based on local media warnings and such. It feels very strange.
1. Not talk to the sheriff so the rest of us feel safer? Not sure what you mean. Do you think Keith has not been in contact with the sheriff? From media reports, we learned that he spoke multiple times with LE, provided them with all his communication devices, and basically made his life an open book. I guess you'll have to explain.
2. Do you think Sherri has given investigators nothing more than what's been reported in the news?
3. This is an intense case for the families and also for LE. I'm sure they've disagreed from time to time. It's only natural. I'm also not surprised Keith took matters into his own hands with the public statement. He doesn't strike me as a passive person. ;)

I cannot catch up no matter how fast I read this thread, so I apologize if this has been said by another poster, or I want to agree with that poster...

I believe LE wanted to take advantage of the fact that there was suspicion on the part of many of the public to lull the perps into a sense of security. That is why the sheriff deflected questions.

But it was too high a price for KP to pay on behalf of his wife. I understand that, too, and the sheriff appears to agree, also.

I do feel it is possible this was mishandled. The sheriff could have agreed that SP was battered, agreed that there were significant injuries, and a lot of the speculation might have been averted.

The thing I am concerned about now is that the perps are still at large. If it turns out LE knows who did this, the sheriff's handling of it all makes sense. If LE does not know who the perps are, then the public is still possibly at risk, and it would have been better that the sheriff come clean from the beginning.

This is just my opinion. There are so many details yet to come, but a lot questions have been answered tonight.

I just want to know how we at Websleuths can help. That's what we are here for.

Part of the disconnect comes from LE not releasing more than they have to in this (or any) case. The other part comes because when there's a lack of details, people try to fill in the spaces with something that makes sense to them. Leaving a story only partially told and waiting until the rest of it comes out, is something that most people are unable to do, so the urge to fill in all gaps is compelling. Imagination and guessing take the place of facts.

Trying to parse and extrapolate the imagined hidden meaning from media reports, press conferences, blogs and social media is usually an exercise in futility because everyone uses their own language descriptors and it's often imprecise and, in the case of reporters, can sometimes be just plain incorrect.

@ counterintuitive, welcome!!! glad you're here and posting! It must be difficult being a local...but any insight you have is appreciated. thank you.

Tribal tattoos are just designs. If you've seen the ads for the new Disney movie kind of like that, or like what you'd associate with Native Americans (though not quite Seahawks logo level). There are not good tribes or bad tribes - just a design, usually all black and geometrical or swirly.

What tattoo of Sherri are you talking about?

Ok, I'm really getting confused now. Is it not correct that she was , according to her husband, "branded"? As in , tattooed ? I have to admit, I'm getting confused at this point. :confused:

Part of the disconnect comes from LE not releasing more than they have to in this (or any) case. The other part comes because when there's a lack of details, people try to fill in the spaces with something that makes sense to them. Leaving a story only partially told and waiting until the rest of it comes out, is something that most people are unable to do, so the gap has to get filled in one way or the other, even if it's done by the imagination and is full of guesses.

Trying to parse and extrapolate the imagined hidden meaning from media reports, press conferences, blogs and social media is usually an exercise in futility because everyone uses their own language descriptors and it's often imprecise and sometimes just plain incorrect.
Awesome post. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Thank you for the nice welcome!
KRCR reported there is supposed to be another press conference tomorrow, they did not say what time.

Good lord. What this poor woman and her family have been through. Wish there were some way I could help. I'm a foodie, so I think good food is comforting and lets one know they are cared about. I would just love to make them a hearty pot of homemade chicken noodle soup; a loaf of homemade bread; good olive oil or butter or jam for the bread; some good cheese and fresh fruit of their choice; spirits, beer or wine of their choosing; and homemade chocolate chip cookies and their favorite premium ice cream for dessert. And if Michigan were a whole lot closer to Redding, I'd deliver it myself.

Now don't even get me started on what I'd like to feed her kidnappers. You can use your vivid imaginations . . .

Lieutenant Anthony Bertain, the head of the Investigations Division at the Shasta County Sheriff's Office, said he understood the need for Keith to set the story straight from rampant social media but that investigators were "surprised" by his statement. Bertain added they were disappointed Keith went into so much detail by releasing key pieces of information, like Sherri was branded.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/husband-missing-mom-talks-time-weeks-43859936

Someone please make sure this link is copied to the media thread.

THIS ENDS THE DEBATE ABOUT WHETHER LE DOES OR DOES NOT VERIFY SP'S INJURIES. THE LEAD DETECTIVE JUST VERIFIED IT AND EXPLAINED WHY THE SHERIFF APPEARED TO BACKPEDAL.

ADMIN NOTE: There will be no more comments suggesting the sheriff denied the VICTIM's injuries are as KP stated they are. NONE.

Bump.

No one will know what's true or not true until there is some official confirmation stating so. Such is the way of following true crime. The 'true' part of the equation sometimes comes later. The sheriff and other LE personnel will likely not disclose what they know to satisfy curiosity.

Diane...I'm in Michigan, you can drop the goodies off here! JMO

pardon me if this was already spoken to'
I heard when SP was let go she first walked to the church right where she was dropped (no cameras I heard) but it was closed so she then walked to the highway and flagged down help with the bag they put over her head.

No one will know what's true or not true until there is some official confirmation stating so. Such is the way of following true crime. The 'true' part of the equation often comes later.
I agree. One point though,Sherri's brutal injuries are not in question if I read Tlcya's post correctly.

I count at least 3 major rifts between LE and family (at least KP) throughout this situation

1. LE won't categorize it as an abduction but it is clear from early on the family thinks it is

2. LE is dismissive of the Cameron Gamble negotiator/ransom situation endorsed by family

3. LE states that KP,s detailing of the injuries is bad timing

Reading about the woman who thinks she may have seen SP at the rest stop, makes me wonder if it's possible that SP also belonged to any activist groups or the same sex trafficking coalition there in Redding. Depending on the level of involvement, it could've made her a target. JMO I do hope that LE followed up on the call and the pickup. Even if it wasn't SP, it could've been another woman in need of assistance.

‘It was just odd how the men were coming back and forth, I’m a mom-of-five and I’ve got great women’s intuition and I’m also a survivor, I was held hostage when I was a young girl. Probably my senses were a little bit heightened.’
When Christine approached the truck she said the woman inside looked ‘tired’ and ‘worn out’ and appeared not to have washed her hair in days.
Christine had seen a lot of the news coverage of Sherri Papini’s disappearance in the weeks before and had a good idea what the mom-of-two looked like.
And she was convinced it was the pretty 34-year-old sat in the truck in front of her
‘She was blond and very pretty, and I thought it could definitely be her, she was the right age,’ Christine recalls.
‘I obviously haven’t seen Sherri in person so I couldn’t be 100%, but it was a close enough resemblance that I couldn’t just drive away and have that question mark in my mind.

‘I said, “You look like that woman who was abducted here in Redding, are you okay?”
‘She never answered me, she didn’t answer yes, she didn’t answer no, she just looked at me.
‘And I said, “Are you being held against your will? ‘Do you need me to call 911 right now?” And again she didn’t answer.
‘By this point my mommy’s bonnet was buzzing, I knew something wasn’t right, it was very strange.

She said “thanks”, that’s all she said to me and put her head down. Something wasn’t right.’
Troubled by what she saw Christine added: ‘She was definitely subdued, almost cautious. 'She seemed scared in the sense that she didn’t want to be caught talking to me, in the way that a child has been told not to talk to strangers. She was extremely hesitant and wouldn’t give me any eye contact.

The terrifying and traumatic experience has made Christine extra vigilant in life and she is currently a member of a sex trafficking coalition in Redding, has helped found a children’s version of the Shasta County Women’s Refuge and also works with a boundaries group.
The mom-of-five said no one from Shasta County Sheriff’s Department has called her back since she made the report.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lue-pick-truck-rest-stop-just-days-found.html

That's why I keep going back to traffickers. They routinely hold women hostages or at least use force and coercion to keep them hidden away, and move them around, in secrecy, and often brutally.

BECAUSE it adds credence to the fact that she was treated really brutally. The sheriff indicated that her injuries were minor, she was treated and released before 2 p.m. that day.

Keith is trying to say her injuries were significant. The public has turned on them, in a horrible way, and he's just defending his wife and saying her injuries weren't minor, as described by the sheriff.

Where did the Sheriff state her injuries were minor? All he said was they were non life threatening, and he possibly misspoke with a "sprained" vs a "broken ankle". That is not the same as LE indicating her injuries were minor.

I agree. One point though, Sherri's brutal injuries are not in question if I read Tlcya's post correctly.

The details of those injuries have not been disclosed by LE and they may not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member