Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not buying into the trafficking thing .until LE says so, so I'm grabbing my blankie and off to bed I go. JMO

This!
What does the brand look like? Represent?
If it's a brand, wouldn't others have the same?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

JMO they burned a message into her skin. It could be anything - a symbol, initials, a word.

This!
What does the brand look like? Represent?
If it's a brand, wouldn't others have the same?

Thank you.

Now branded is to claim property or to torture.

Property claims mean you will be used as a sex slave or slave.

But the torture branding is just for torture purpose with no real significant name or logo or initials or insignia or whatever.

THANK YOU! Welcome to WS, just wish you would've gotten here sooner ;)

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking through this case, and first I want to say that I am very happy to see how respectful the vast majority of you are of both the rules and the victims, even when you suspect something might be off. It is a very refreshing thing to see.

There is one thing specifically I want to comment on. I do happen to be employed in the private sector in a field related to safety and security, and I am concerned that there is some overarching belief among many of you that ST victims are always young. Granted, the average ST victim is younger than 18 (some estimates say the average age is 14 for female victims), but that does not mean that there is not a very substantial number of older adults trapped in the sex trafficking world. Many of them are people who have struggled with live-long issues (such as substance abuse, domestic violence, homelessness) but there are those that are forced into such situations purely as a short-term solution to a market demand. It is rare, but not so rare that you cannot find, in ANY city in America, middle aged women being trafficked online and on the street. Please also remember that the same techniques that work for younger children and younger, moldable adults (such as peer groomers) don't work as well with older adults who have some life experience. Lastly, don't ever underestimate how easily some criminal organizations can change their techniques. It is entirely possible that some success may be found by targeting lower class but established persons purely because of the willingness for the public to believe that they are voluntarily missing rather than abducted.

If you doubt me, spend a little time on the "hookup" sections of many classified sites. Tell me whether you can determine whether the 30-40 year old women there are willing participants or something less. I can promise you that the majority are not happy to be selling themselves on "Frontpaper" or "JimsScroll".

Next, I have seen some posts referencing how she was treated and "released", as opposed to left or refused treatment. Released means that she was determined to be no longer under the care of the hospital. She could have said "no more", or they could have determined that she was fit to be released. You would get the same answer from the hospital, as the situation surrounding her release would be HIPAA-protected (loosely).

Third, branding could mean a tattoo marking, but is often an actual burn (or series of burns) that form a symbol, acronym, or message. It is very popular to brand (burn) in organized crime organizations (and unfortunately, even college greek organizations now). It is also a common way to humiliate a crime victim or a foe.

Again, thank you for being civil as this family has suffered a tremendous ordeal. I happen to be from the area so I have more than just a professional interest. This one hits close to home.

Mods: If we aren't allowed to claim experience without verification, please message me and I can provide.

JMO they burned a message into her skin. It could be anything - a symbol, initials, a word.

The sheriff did say that it wasn't a symbol, but a message.

Honestly, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if it was some insane political message.

If the plan was to traffic her, that's what the message of the branding is--ownership.

I didn't get that feeling based on what Sheriff Bosenko said. I got the feeling that it was a specific message aimed at the Papinis or at SP. JMO

Trying not to overly parse the sheriff's words, but why is the sheriff, who has been trying to keep details close, now disclosing this to the public? After feeling blindsided by the number of details KP disclosed? Why put this detail out now?

ETA: The "message" that was branded.

I think had there not been the kind of intense scrutiny, doubting, rumors of hoaxes that must have felt like a tsunami hitting SP and family, they would have stayed quiet, at least longer.

Social Media is a double-edged sword and this is the downside of it. A family asks for privacy and they are front page fodder. Not surprised KP decided to disclose some details; I'm sure watching his wife get called a liar and he himself being talked about as complicit in some kind of hoax had to be more than anyone could handle.

And yes, the Sheriff didn't help matters with his unfortunate communication skills.

But still...people can be such vultures and so insensitive and rude.

I knew it.

Between Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday; Things and updates and pressers were going to be slow.

But Tuesday morning. Bam.

With another presser/info-leak tomorrow (Wednesday).

Bam Bam.

Hopefully these idiots(abductors) will be caught soon.

Bam Bam Bam.

Thank you.

But the torture branding is just for torture purpose with no real significant name or logo or initials or insignia or whatever.
So just using say, a heated coat hanger and leaving a mark, would constitute "branding."
Makes sense.
DH thinks I'm reading too much into it. I would think if it was a random mark, it would be labeled as a "burn." Jmo
The term "brand" is stumping me.
Again, KP is very eloquent, so it could be just that. ?

I didn't see any fault with the sheriff's communication skills...The only area I felt frustrated at was the lack of details, but I believe he responded to questions in a professional manner without jeopardizing the case (pre-Keith's statement, I mean).

I'd like for us to cut him some slack.

So just using say, a heated coat hanger and leaving a mark, would constitute "branding."
Makes sense.
DH thinks I'm reading too much into it. I would think if it was a random mark, it would be labeled as a "burn." Jmo
The term "brand" is stumping me.
Again, KP is very eloquent, so it could be just that. ?

Sheriff has already confirmed the branding is a specific message. How the branding was applied isn't the issue, in my opinion.

Ok, this is probably WAY out there, but I was just listening to a podcast about this case and wonder if there could be a connection due to the location and timing. These two boys both attended the same school in Woodland which is only a few miles south on I-5 from where Sherri was found. One went missing a few weeks before Sherri, and the other went missing two days after. I definitely don't see any connection on the surface, but who knows with this case?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-2016-amp-Elijah-Moore-17-Woodland-4-Nov-2016

Thank you.

Haven't there been cases where people have had words or symbols carved into their skin?

I know of two famous cases of people doing that to themselves (and not famous cases too) but it must have happened to victims. It's like a step beyond cigarette burns as a form of torture.

Who does that? Why?

Haven't there been cases where people have had words or symbols carved into their skin?

I know of two famous cases of people doing that to themselves (and not famous cases too) but it must have happened to victims. It's like a step beyond cigarette burns as a form of torture.

Who does that? Why?

A swastika would be a message. But the cutting of the hair makes this seem personal or jealousy motivated. Idk

Branding — A tattoo or carving on a victim that indicates ownership by a trafficker/pimp/gang.

http://sharedhope.org/the-problem/trafficking-terms/

And again, for those jumping in not having read the last many pages of discussion:

MANY references about branding (which, as you posted, the vast majority of the time in ST cases now in the west, are in tattoo form now) also specifically use "message" in conjunction with the meaning behind the tattoo.

IF that was the case w/ SP, it's very possible the "message" is just like some variation of the below - as it's common in ST instances to see that term associated with the brand.

And most of those who have been branded (or did it) or researched it said that the "message" almost always has been some variation of:

a) message / warning to other pimps to stay away that the individual is "taken"
b) message to others that the person is someone's property and/or for sale.
c) message to the victim (as a threat, or some view it as 'comfort') that they 'belong' to someone always
d) message to not forget / behave

Or some combo of things.

An article where it talked about the use of tattoos now in branding, but it taking another form when one person refused:

When she refused the tattoo, she said, he held her down and carved his name on her back with a safety pin.

<snip>

In each case, the message was clear: They were his property, and they were for sale.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/24/opinion/kristof-she-has-a-pimps-name-etched-on-her.html

An article with a victim using that specific phrase...

&#8220;I just felt lost, like I didn&#8217;t know who I was any more,&#8221; she says. &#8220;It didn&#8217;t matter what I&#8217;d say or do: the tattoo sent a message to everyone that I was owned and was not my own person. I just felt broken. And even after I got away from him, I would have people ask me about the tattoo and then ask why I let him do this to me, and I didn&#8217;t know what to say. I guess I was lost in my addiction.&#8221;

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...d-trafficking-survivors-reclaiming-their-past

An Lt using that specific phrase...

The message from the pimp who branded them is no matter what you say about me, my name is on your face, Lt. Dawson said. Dollar signs are very popular too, he added.

http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/National_News_2/article_101525.shtml

Specifically in the context of an article about a group specifically working by helping ST victims who want their brands covered up or removed because of there being a 'message' they no longer wanted visible or didn't want to still be reminded of.

As a CNN report this fall explained, pimps will &#8220;brand&#8221; their trafficked &#8220;property&#8221; to steer other pimps away. The story noted that law enforcement is only seeing an increase of tattooed branding in recent years. The marks range among symbols of the pimp&#8217;s choosing &#8212; his name, bar codes, symbols for cash &#8212; all chosen with the intent of dehumanizing the victim, and reinforcing the message that her life is not her own.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/tattoo-removal-service-helps-branded-women-break-150151914.html

Many, many other instances out there, but "message" isn't at all uncommon in the context of branding or tattoos in ST or prostitution or even gangs.

It may very well be the case that's what KP and the Sheriff and Lt mean in SP's case as well, and that people are trying to parse phrases far more than he intended it to be. :thinking:

After all in most other contexts now branding = messaging / representation basically. Think business/advertising and the constant connection they make in advertising etc to choose your "branding" well because that's the "message" your audience latches onto or some variation thereof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eluluwho