Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit that, from the beginning, this whole thing to me sounded like a hoax. But, as more details come out (particularly the branding and that LE was dismayed that KP released that information to the public), I am really leaning towards gang/drug/mafia activity and that the abductors knew her family. Remember how very early on the family was pleaing to the public for anyone with Mexico connections? Why? Seemed a little odd unless they had some information that they didn't release to the public. What if someone in her family borrowed money from gang/drug/mafia connections and couldn't/didn't pay it back in a timely manner? Suddenly there is a sizable "ransom" offered up very early on in the case where LE was practically threatened NOT to get involved because they were well within their rights to deal directly with the abductors without LE's involvement. I dunno...just thinking out loud. I get the impression that one should never, ever get involved in any sort of gang/drug/mafia activity lest they always want to be remembered for it. Those types of folks never forget who you are (or your family), even IF you have already paid your debts.

I've been thinking today, I wonder if they have checked the airports close by for two Hispanic woman who may have flown out. Maybe the ransom was quietly paid and the two woman quickly left the country and flew home to Mexico, possibly drove. The early morning drop off makes me wonder if they did that then made their way home. With all the people traveling on tyne holiday it would be easy to blend in. If the sherif is aware that they are nowhere around here it would explain why we don't see much of a call to action on a manhunt or cautionary statements to the community. Thoughts?

So when these abductors were beating her they were masked the entire three weeks? Just surprised the police haven't released any more details.

Seems like if there are a gang of latina women abducting strangers from jogging, they'd want to get out a very detailed description of anything (height, weight) to prevent future women who may be in danger of being kidnapped.

Sometimes Sherri's head was covered. If she were bound securely, she may also have been left alone (or in a locked room) for long periods of time. I can't even imagine the horror.

I can't keep up. Has anyone made a poll yet on what the motive could be?
Here is what I am gathering are the most common suggestions:

1. Human Trafficking
2. Gangs/Cartel activity
3. Specifically targeted and taken for ransom
4. Personally targeted by someone she knows/knows her family

Anything I'm missing?

#4 Or who knows of her for some reason

lol!!! I thought that was what you meant! But ,I had a good laugh at the responding post![emoji2] We need that sometimes! It is serious business here, make no mistake about that, but it so good to just laugh, and not take ourselves SO serious! Thanks!

Once she said burka, I got it. But I was so hung up in my individual sari experience I couldn't get around it. My sleuth-o-meter is not the only perception this case is messing with...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Specifically targeted/Hate crime?

Is that a possibility because I had that thought and now can't shake it
I saw that a few times but I wasn't sure if we could discuss it much so left it off.
If it's ok with mods, let's make "Hate Crime" number 5.
Feel free to choose more than one/make a hybrid.

Poll:
What is your theory on motive?

1. Human Trafficking
2. Gangs/Cartel activity
5. Hate crime

1. Human Trafficking
2. Gangs/Cartel activity

Anything I'm missing?

What the heck, I can't be any more wrong than I was when she was missing.

Because she was released with a message for herself and "others", I believe she made someone very angry. So I choose #4.

Is the Sheriff in over his head with this investigation?

Seems that way...........but he won't admit to it.................might jeopardize the investigation.

Off topic but important—I’ve been deluged again this year with sleuthers wanting to know how much they should spend on me for Xmas, and whether I will accept credit and debit cards, along with expensive cars and jewelry. I would much rather that you make donations to your local food banks, churches, or Red Cross. There’s a whole lot of less fortunate people out there, so rather than buy me a Rolex or a Ferrari, spread it out a little and help a bunch of people that could really use it.

Was she raped? When did they show her the gun? Was the gun out all the time? Did they use any other weapons? Was she moved from one location to another? Where there any other victims? Did they ever speak English to her?

Did she get to shower or change clothes during that time?

I would need to change my contacts during that time.

1. Human Trafficking
2. Gangs/Cartel activity

Anything I'm missing?

I am 100% on board with #1 with a side of #2 possibly ending with #3 being the reason she was dropped off alive- meaning that they didn't take her for the ransom, but did take her as an investment- #1. When her face showed up everywhere and the ransom was involved, i think they either got scared and dropped her off OR got paid and dropped her off. Could go either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But he didn't release any information that will help catch the perps or solve the crime, imo. He just lavishly described her injuries. No info on who may have had her or why or where she may have been held.
It is without a doubt that we are all joyfull at Sherri's return, but this point cannot be dismissed. It isjust one of those things that keep "bothering" me...

I lied to my family, friends, ER nurses/doctors, and LE for years with my EX. I was scared, ashamed, and embarrassed. I still have only told a few stories (10 years later) to my brother about what happened for years. I wasn't kidnapped or anything to this extent, but speaking from my view point that is why I didn't say what was happening or want help. Even though people knew the last few years.

It's sometimes easy for us to think we'd know exactly how we'd handle a certain situation, but the truth is unless it happens to us, I don't believe we can ever really KNOW.

Situations like AH (abducted by Kibby), Elizabeth Smart's, yours, LozDa's reinforce to me that since I haven't walked a mile in those shoes, it's best I keep an open mind. Hugs to you!

Did she get to shower or change clothes during that time?

I would need to change my contacts during that time.

Sure, and what about menstruation? I doubt we'll get those answers anytime soon. Then again, we're not the trained and paid investigators responsible for this case.

<modsnip>
Not with the branding and beatings.

I believe it was all true except the description of the kidnappers. KP came out with much information to show that it was not a hoax. He got tired of us stating that. But he has never really said anything bad about who did this. The sheriff has stated that these people were vicious. KP has always been very quiet about the "who", but seemed to know right away she was abducted, she was taken out of the area, she would be back by Thanksgiving. All this smells of money being paid and him knowing more than was being said. I don't believe he was involved in it happening, but got knowledge of things.

How can she be abducted by a vehicle that never appeared on surveillance cameras?

Completely agree. Remember kp also got to the drop off site quickly and leaked info. There's a lot of communication going on without direct talking I think. Messages being sent. Not sleuthing but healthy skepticism.

I've been thinking today, I wonder if they have checked the airports close by for two Hispanic woman who may have flown out. Maybe the ransom was quietly paid and the two woman quickly left the country and flew home to Mexico, possibly drove. The early morning drop off makes me wonder if they did that then made their way home. With all the people traveling on tyne holiday it would be easy to blend in. If the sherif is aware that they are nowhere around here it would explain why we don't see much of a call to action on a manhunt or cautionary statements to the community. Thoughts?

Yes, two hispanic women flying to Mexico is sure specific enough to pick them out. Really. Even with the expanded descriptions you are describing a good portion of the people on those flights.

So I guess at this point recommendations would be-don't jog alone. Be on the look out for 2 Hispanic women. One older, one younger, thin, thick eyebrows etc. Cant be much comfort for the Community. IMO

He was responding to the fact that people were subjecting his family to social media abuse, especially people who were claiming the whole thing was a hoax. The description of her injuries helps to refute those claims. I don't think his intent was to help people solve the crime, other than to keep them from wasting time pursuing ridiculous theories.

I agree about the motive of why he described her injuries. But I would also believe that he would describe the attackers as monsters as such or how he hoped they would be caught

I believe the ransom money turned into money finding who did this, not for finding SP. This lady that pulled over and found her probably gets none of this money yet she found her. Usually the money is to find the person. If they knew she was going to be released they may have worded it that way so it would not get paid. It was stated that they believed this "scared" the abductors to release her with this reward. Releasing her actually improved the chances of catching these people. And now they are talking about the money going to SP family. Well if they did not catch them yet, why wouldn't the money still be to find them. Seems like the LE are the only ones looking for them.

I do not blame SP or any of her family if this is true, I would probably do the same. I am sure they are happy to have her back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member