Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the police dispatch audio when Sherri was recovered.

“She is chained to something. She's chained with a quarter-inch heavy chain and hose clamps on her wrists.”

http://www.insideedition.com/headli...ger-on-side-of-the-road-if-she-was-willing-to

Ouch! Surely this poor victim has scrapes and bruises on her wrists if she was wearing the shackles that AceDetective posted that scared me so (Thanks, Ace!), coupled with this data about the chain and hose clamps. SP is most fortunate to have been left for dead on the side of the highway and 911 was called by the passersby. I do think more than three, being CHP, Alison, and the trucker, 911 calls were made by drivers.

Does anyone have access to a transcript of KPs 20/20 interview? Was wondering what time KP received the phone call on Thanksgiving Day morning. The first call was to his cellphone that he couldn't answer and did not recognize the number calling him even though his wife is missing! Then, he hears the landline phone ring and he takes the call that is from Sherri or the CHP? Trying to establish a formal timeline of critical events in my storage bank? TIA

MHO
The Hispanic abductors did not care about Thanksgiving Day festivities. Thanksgiving is a traditional American holiday and typically not one celebrated by Hispanics, Mexicans, Muslims, Cubans and those who are not US citizens such as Canadians, et al.

Where exactly was she released? I keep looking for a map site and I can't seem to find it. I know it must have been posted at one time or another. I keep thinking the Thanksgiving morning thing isn't a coincidence. Anyone looked at the surrounding area to see what's around from a google aerial view? Would be interesting to know how long she was in the vehicle before she was dumped out and how far off the road the vehicle was when this happened. 150 miles south of where she was originally abducted...what's between those two areas?
I'm just catching up, so you might have already received a response. Skibs has assembled a wonderful resource of maps for many cases -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7y4eju9gsl59e1m/Case Map Database & Websleuths Links.pdf?dl=0

Same here. :)

The People interview from Nov 10 has the most extensive quotes from KP during the disappearance.

He states that she "would have to have been either snuck up on, or there would have been multiple or maybe two people..."

He then states "My gut says it is a person unknown to myself and Sherri."

After finding the phone, he said it "only confirmed what I already felt that I knew somebody grabbed her."

So I would say "grabbed" is the word he preferred to use, at least in the MSM we've seen.

ETA: in the 20/20 interview after SP re-emerged, KP used the word "taken" a number of times. Also "abduction."

If my family member went missing, and a guy who owns shipping containers decked out to simulate hostage situations from around the world for 'training purposes' suddenly contacted me and had a hare-brained scheme to offer a "reverse ransom" to kidnappers, without any proof that she WAS kidnapped and being held by someone, I wouldn't trust that person as far as I could throw him.

Personally, I'd have made an immediate call to LE, as soon as he was out of earshot.

Personally, I think it's way too premature to make pronouncements of "this will never be solved."

She disappeared 39 days ago. Re-emerged 17 days ago. We don't know what Physical evidence has been collected, and it likely hasn't completed testing yet.

So far too soon for such dramatic pronouncements, IMHO.

Iagree.

Only in the movies are cases like this solved and wrapped up in 17 days.

As I said before, it takes time to collect DNA evidence from the victim, have it analyzed, get warrants for phones, houses, cars, businesses, shipping containers, even (ahem), to interview people of interest, to analyze their statements and the evidence gained from the warrant searches, to follow up on tips and leads, etc.

Police these days take their time b/c they know that the stakes are high if they rush and make mistakes. Look, if they have any idea of who did it, there's no worry; the guy isn't going anywhere. You can be sure they are keeping a tight surveillance on him.

Ouch! Surely this poor victim has scrapes and bruises on her wrists if she was wearing the shackles that AceDetective posted that scared me so (Thanks, Ace!), coupled with this data about the chain and hose clamps. SP is most fortunate to have been left for dead on the side of the highway and 911 was called by the passersby. I do think more than three, being CHP, Alison, and the trucker, 911 calls were made by drivers.

Does anyone have access to a transcript of KPs 20/20 interview? Was wondering what time KP received the phone call on Thanksgiving Day morning. The first call was to his cellphone that he couldn't answer and did not recognize the number calling him even though his wife is missing! Then, he hears the landline phone ring and he takes the call that is from Sherri or the CHP? Trying to establish a formal timeline of critical events in my storage bank? TIA

MHO
The Hispanic abductors did not care about Thanksgiving Day festivities. Thanksgiving is a traditional American holiday and typically not one celebrated by Hispanics, Mexicans, Muslims, Cubans and those who are not US citizens such as Canadians, et al.

True. But many have been born in America or have married Americans and do celebrate Thanksgiving

It's all up to SP. She is the only person who can provide the crucial details to LE to solve this crime and bring justice. What will her next move be?

Youbring
up a good point; if SP hasn't given the correct description of the perps and the car, as so many here believe, then why is everybody even angry that the police haven't arrested anyone? That's would be biggest reason why it would take longer for them to build a case; they couldn't in such a case rely on her testimony.

Fact is, the general public has no idea what kind of evidence LE has in this case. We do know search warrants were issued and we do know SP's clothing, restraints and other items were sent to the crime lab, and we do know there is "sensitive" information the SCSO has chosen not to release to the public. We also know SP was interviewed several times for long periods of time - and we don't know how much info she was able to provide about where she was, what it smelled like, if there was furniture, concrete floor, metal floor, dirt, etc.

In other words, there's a ton of stuff we don't know. So, I have to disagree with this. Besides, you went from D to F and skipped E. :)

Exaxtly. Just the fact that they have served 20 warrants shows they have someone in mind. They wouldn't need warrants for SP's and KP's phones, home, cars, etc., b/c they presumably, naturally, would give the police permission to search these things. If they didn't THAT would be suspicious, anyway. so I don't believe those warrants were for them. so that brings us to outsiders. Since there is no good description of the perps, and everybody thinks that SP is covering up for the perps anyway, that leaves out the police targeting some latina woman for these warrants.

Who does that leave then, that is somehow tied up with SP and KP? who would the police have reason to suspect enough to want to serve with warrants? IMO, it's a no-brainer who it is. Any LE officer worth his salt would have immediately been suspicious of a certain person insinuating himself into this case, who had the motive, the means and the opportunity.

What makes you think she was "left for dead"? She had bruises, burns, a brand, a broken nose and a haircut. I don't think the abductors would have any reason to believe that she was about to die. They didn't stab her or shoot her or fracture her skull or anything like that. If they'd wanted to kill her, they easily could have killed her in 3 weeks. I think they never intended to kill her and when they dropped her off they knew full well she was still alive and kicking. Jmo.

Agree. Bottom line is if CG had anything to do with Sherri being abducted and brutalized....he'd be in jail. IMO he tried to help someone who disappeared from his community.

I agree. I think it's a waste of time focusing on CG unless he's a POI in her abduction. It doesn't matter if there wasn't any money. What he did may have contributed to Sherri being returned alive. If I did everything I could to get my missing loved one back, with no results, I'd do exactly what the Papini's did when approached by CG IMO. Desperate calls for desperate measures.

But if we're allowed to sleuth him, and people think he's responsible for this, then by all means.

Exaxtly. Just the fact that they have served 20 warrants shows they have someone in mind. They wouldn't need warrants for SP's and KP's phones, home, cars, etc., b/c they presumably, naturally, would give the police permission to search these things. If they didn't THAT would be suspicious, anyway. so I don't believe those warrants were for them. so that brings us to outsiders. Since there is no good description of the perps, and everybody thinks that SP is covering up for the perps anyway, that leaves out the police targeting some latina woman for these warrants.

Who does that leave then, that is somehow tied up with SP and KP? who would the police have reason to suspect enough to want to serve with warrants? IMO, it's a no-brainer who it is. Any LE officer worth his salt would have immediately been suspicious of a certain person insinuating himself into this case, who had the motive, the means and the opportunity.

It's always better to have warrants for the bank records, phones etc. That way if it was proved KP was involved they have the security of the warrant, sworn by LE and signed by a judge. JMO

I wonder how far SP was driven when she was first "taken"? Was it only a few minutes? How about later; was she ever driven anywhere during the 22 days? Was she driven far on that last day she was released?

Has SP ever said anything about car trips?

For those who are discussing KP's use of words like taken, snatched,abducted, kidnapped, etc - what significance, if any, are you giving to the word choice?

To me, they are interchangeable. I know some state statutes might get specific with regard to kidnapping or other words. But for the lay person, I don't really see a distinction?

KP has a background in criminal justice. CG has led seminars in Redding. Perhaps KP attended one and became familiar with the lingo. The Papinis seemed interested in self-defense and survivalist stuff. This all could have affected KP's point of view when SP was abducted. And really, what choice did he have? If it were me, I don't think I'd allow myself to believe my wife had been murdered. I would focus on her being held captive somewhere until proven otherwise.

(none of these musings are meant to imply that CG and KP were in cahoots.)

I agree. I think it's a waste of time focusing on CG unless he's a POI in her abduction. It doesn't matter if there wasn't any money. What he did may have contributed to Sherri being returned alive. If I did everything I could to get my missing loved one back, with no results, I'd do exactly what the Papini's did when approached by CG IMO. Desperate calls for desperate measures.

But if we're allowed to sleuth him, and people think he's responsible for this, then by all means.

Agree. He's not been named as a POI. Our VI says he contributed to keeping Sherris name and face in the news. That was a very good thing.

KP has a background in criminal justice. CG has led seminars in Redding. Perhaps KP attended one and became familiar with the lingo. The Papinis seemed interested in self-defense and survivalist stuff. This all could have affected KP's point of view when SP was abducted. And really, what choice did he have? If it were me, I don't think I'd allow myself to believe my wife had been murdered. I would focus on her being held captive somewhere until proven otherwise.

(none of these musings are meant to imply that CG and KP were in cahoots.)

Very good point! And at least one time KP thought she may have been murdered. In the 20/20 interview he discussed how he saw the birds circling in the sky, then fell to his knees during the search. He knew there was a possibility she'd be dead, but he wanted to stay positive.

Thanksgiving is a traditional American holiday and typically not one celebrated by Hispanics, Mexicans, Muslims, Cubans and those who are not US citizens such as Canadians, et al.

My
in-laws from Argentina and Spain would disagree! I've spent many a wonderful Thanksgiving at t heir homes, complete with turkey, cranberry sauce, and stuffing with chorizo, lol.

Question for Lake:

Do you know (if you can answer) if SP was wearing the same clothes when she was released, that she was wearing when taken?

No, I do not know the answer to that question.
Question for Lake

Did Sherri wear hair extensions?

No not to my knowledge.

It's all up to SP. She is the only person who can provide the crucial details to LE to solve this crime and bring justice. What will her next move be?

So basically you feel SP is withholding information? I've spoken to her and KP and I don't feel that way at all. I'm sorry if you and others feel that way; obviously I have not done a good job of projecting the honesty and sincerity of KP and SP.

They are good people, the kind you would love to have for a neighbor or friend in my humble opinion. That is why you saw such a massive level of community support for a town the size of Redding. While obviously not everyone that supported them knew the P's, many had friends that did whose opinions they respected.

Youbring
up a good point; if SP hasn't given the correct description of the perps and the car, as so many here believe, then why is everybody even angry that the police haven't arrested anyone? That's would be biggest reason why it would take longer for them to build a case; they couldn't in such a case rely on her testimony.

Well LE says they believe her, so there is that.

MHO

Lots of Americans, of all types, celebrate Thanksgiving. It is a major American holiday and most employees and all students are given the day off. Canadians who live in the US often celebrate both Canadian Thanksgiving (their tradition) and American Thanksgiving (tradition of their new residence). Black Friday is a thing in Canada now too. Oh yay.

I've been to big dinners in both October and November while living in the US and while living in Canada. Not uncommon at all. And I've been invited to Thanksgiving celebrations in the homes of Mexicans, Native Americans, Jews, Indians, Catholics, Cubans, Muslims and Samoans. Mostly thanks to my military career but also from living in large metropolitan areas.

That said... I doubt her abductors were in a rush to drop her off so they could get home to turkey and stuffing and football. Not a coincidence it was Thanksgiving, but the timing was for reasons other than their own family celebrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snathan