Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I ask if the Black Hat society has been discussed in regards to Sherri's pinterest page?

Interesting. Just had to Google what it was, and it's a society for witches. They have meetups and stuff. I wonder if Sherri knew any of then in real life, or had been chatting to any of them online. She may have gone off with one of them?

:hilarious: Just when I thought this case couldn't get any stranger. Now we're talking about witchcraft!

Could this have been an interest of Sherri's, and that's why we've heard so little about her as a person? Maybe her family don't approve, or they just don't want the press to sensationalise it.

If her phone had not been found at all, would everyone still have their same opinion of what happened?
It literally is the only clue we have.
I've virtually eliminated her running away.
I can't see any advantage to her if she did dump the phone there, might as well have just left it home, if she was determined to run away, I don't think she would care if people knew, seems pointless to make it look like an aduction, unless she did intend to return in a blaze of glory with an unlikely story.
With a lake so close or even with the tools I would guess are around the cement quarry you'd think she could destroy the phone if she wanted to rather than leave it where she did I mean she could even stick it in a package and ship it off potentially and then that would confuse cops even more so with how many options she has to use to fake an abduction better I think it's safe to say leaving the phone there and not making it look more like a break in makes it seem very unlikely that even hoax would be possible since they could fake it way better. And I know they've said she isn't around there now but really why have the cops used 20warrants if there isn't anything in the area to be suspicious of and I imagine that person denied them the ability to search their property which is why they got warrants. To me you don't get that many of them for someone who left on their own.

:hilarious: Just when I thought this case couldn't get any stranger. Now we're talking about witchcraft!

Could this have been an interest of Sherri's, and that's why we've heard so little about her as a person? Maybe her family don't approve, or they just don't want the press to sensationalise it.

I know right!!!!! I thought the pinterest post was just a Halloween thing until I looked into it. I am currently researching any possible connections.

I really wonder if this is why LE thinks its not an abduction and has given no warning to women being out on their own etc, yet the family seems adamant that she has been taken.

Also possibly why the "ransom" situation eventuated. Maybe they knew they weren't dealing with hardened criminals or someone mentally unstable who would harm Sherri, but instead with a group of people who they know won't hurt her, but will make it possible for her to stay away. JMO

I'm interested in true crime... My reading list would raise a few eyebrows.

I also pin lots of contouring pins and yet I've never done contouring in my life - I just like how it looks.

I have previously had a gothic board of gothic prints and imagery, although I am certainly not into the goth scene or anything close to it...

I think this may be another rabbit hole of a thousand theories that don't really lead us any further. JMO.

I hadn't looked at her Pinterest before. Interesting! All the Stepford Wife stuff! Which board is the Black Hat Society stuff on?

Sherri's pinterest account, in case anyone else missed it:
https://www.pinterest.com/spapini/

ETA: she has a whole "Black Hat Society" board!

finally done reading all the threads and wow... so much in my head that i've been holding in.

LE says abduction is 'rare', yet i've noticed reports of women being stalked in parking lots and campuses by a black car... what is that all about? sounds like it's not so rare to me.

my first thought is abduction/sex crime. sherri is jogging along listening to music. now if her phone was just there on the road out in full view, i'm thinking someone may have pulled alongside her with a gun causing her to pull out her earbuds quickly, getting hair tangled up. the perp says 'drop your phone now!' and she does then has to get in the vehicle. in a way to me i would think she may have tried to run away at that point, not sure if the person would chase her on foot or with their vehicle. could it be two people in a van? open the door and grab her? the worst thing you can do is not be aware of your surroundings - listening to music would have put her in vulnerable position to be caught off guard and swooped up so quickly.

going with the grabbed theory, i think about whether the perp would be known to her or not known. i don't think this person would have been on foot, as she probably would have been found close by. so let's think they were in a vehicle of some sort. were they LOOKING for someone? is there a lot of wandering homeless/drug addicted people on that road? is this just a one off crime of opportunity where a person saw her and just had to have her? it could happen, it would be a horrible case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. who knows where she would be taken from there!

this person would be taking a huge chance grabbing a typical soccer mom type, knowing she was going to be missed. going for people who are living on the fringe of society are much easier and less likely to be looked for. perhaps someone was looking for some easy prey and like i said above, just had to take her because she is a very pretty lady. her petite size and long blonde hair would be the first thing i'd notice. i'm not a man but i would think percieved weakness by size and good looks would be so tempting for a sex offender.

if this happened i believe there is no way they are going to try to collect a 'ransom' offered to them. anyone with half a brain knows that no matter what is being communicated you KNOW the police are going to find you. they know where they sent or put the money. whether it's picking up a suitcase or transfers through the internet, they will obviously track you down. i don't even THINK that the person who may have taken her thought of money. i don't want to sound like a debbie downer, but i think if she was taken she was most likely killed within the first 12/24 hours (reminds me of brooke wilberger, she was taken right out of a parking lot by a guy in a van and kept tied up overnight before she was killed, i believe joel courtney was just passing through her town).

other options i have really thought about are if she was taken by stalker/enemy/revenge. her mom was pretty mad. i could conclude that her mindset was 'well, it finally happened, that ****** did something'. of course they probably would not reveal that to the public and to the person who was of interest. but if the family KNEW of the fact that a certain person or persons were stalking her or trying to get back at someone who loved her, i believe they would have someone in custody already. it could possibly be someone who hid in plain sight or never let on their true intentions. that might make it a bit harder and take longer to figure out.

-could be someone who had an online connection to her... through her sales of clothing, crafts, or even some ad she may have answered.
-i almost don't even dare to bring this up but with all the talk about pressures and perfection, perhaps there was some dabbling in certain types of substances that keep your weight down and give you tremendous amounts of energy. could she have known some nefarious types and kept it on the down low?
-she grew up there, so could have come across anyone in her life at some time that watched her from afar and just decided that day was THE DAY.
-most likely a man, who may have been a friend of the family, hers or his, i'd think more his, that wanted to have her. but could also be a woman who felt threatened by her looks or 'perfect' life.

if she was taken by someone who knew her i would wager that it would be a case of unrequited love and 'if i can't have you no one can'. if this is the case she may still be alive but kept captive. again that sounds very dramatic and movie like, but weirder things have happened to people. and i still don't believe that person would be stupid enough to try to collect a large amount of money for her return.

the lack of searches, LE saying they can't classify it exclusively as an abduction and she may have disappeared on her own... i really can't see this woman leaving her kids. not by what her family says. but if she was careful to cultivate a presence of perfection who knows what was really going on in her head. she may have just broken and lost it and left, people have mentioned post partum, she may have done this before, and again she may have had some secrets involving things she would never share. if any of that was suggested to LE that may be why they are hesitant to go full out panic mode to find this lady as abducted. not that they aren't trying to find her, but they aren't looking for a body. you know?

i believe the reverse ransom is a sideshow. i do not think they have anything to do with her going missing either.

i also believe she may have committed suicide. i would think they would have found a body, but then again, who is really searching? she has hiking skills and can run. as someone mentioned she had a six hour window to find a spot to perhaps hang herself? they have not mentioned if she had a gun with her, that could be info they are keeping quiet. although i believe if this was a probable option people would really be searching for her hard.

sorry this was so long, i've had all this in my head for the last three days!

where are you sherri????
Your substance idea crossed my mind when I mistook her for her mom and then because they kept using older photos and because if she had one it would put her in a dangerous situation and around dangerous people or ones who'd demand any money she could owe them and if it's happened before and that's why she seemed to reinvent herself maybe that's why the lack of urgancy as well as the missing years and wanting to seem so perfect. But I lean more towards the sadly morbid murder one. But it did occur to me that maybe the ransom going from 50k to the person who has her to a six figure amount to someone who leads them to her means maybe they think this person isn't alone and are hoping if the other person won't let them take the deal that's maybe the partner will sell them out for more money thinking they will not get in trouble.
But to be clear I'm just saying that's crossed my mind even though I think even if it was the case that she was into that type of stuff that I don't think it led to what happened but would have had her around bad people potentially but I think her family would notice and there would be some sort of criminal record related to it because I don't see many people go that long before getting into some sort of legal trouble because of things they end up doing to her money for it. But I've avoided mentioning that idea because since I didnt want it to come off the wrong way and because I don't think that's what happened but am trying to keep my mind open to every scenario even if I think it's that she isn't alive.

As someone who pins stuff for my bestfriends wedding or pins plenty of things for my ex when i was with him I think we can't assume she's even pinning it for herself cause I pin tons of stuff I don't do or like because I know someone close to me May and want to show them. But I am curious if there is a group or coven or whatever of them in the area that practice magic and what not?

That just made me realize...duh...that it's possible/probable? that these other people who've been spoken to by law enforcement aren't necessarily being sought out because they might be suspected of anything shady.

In addition to investigating any possible involvement by someone from her past, or simply trying to track her down this way: What if they also were looking into whether anything like this had happened before? Do they have knowledge of other people and/or problems in her life that might not have already been disclosed to them for whatever reason? Etc.

With very little to work with, I was hoping LE would go back through her past. Not necessarily because they might be suspicious, but because they can help ID someone who might be. Outside of a stalker that has entered her life in the last few months, I've said I hope LE goes back to her high school days. There could be someone there with an obsession that hasn't gotten over it. Maybe even sit with the family with a HS yearbook and take notes.

As someone who pins stuff for my bestfriends wedding or pins plenty of things for my ex when i was with him I think we can't assume she's even pinning it for herself cause I pin tons of stuff I don't do or like because I know someone close to me May and want to show them. But I am curious if there is a group or coven or whatever of them in the area that practice magic and what not?

That is a problem with pinterest, but given how extremely organised her board is it would seem that if she was pinning for someone else that she would have included them. There is one there for Miss Sheila and she has included her on the board to be able to contribute.

I looked through her board list about 4 times before I saw the black hat society pins...It just blended in with everything else when I was looking at the pics and it really just did look like a halloween board, but when you open it says Annual witch party....

Something just grabs me about this, and as I posted previously I wonder if this is why LE is not leaning towards Abduction but family is sure she has been taken.

Finally just looked at her Pinterest for the first time. I think The Black Hat Society board means nothing. I think she was planning a Halloween party and named the board that just because. Everything in that category relates to Halloween party ideas.

Moving on.

What I did notice is that she's a big fan of Gilmore Girls. So, unless she has Netflix where she is, I do not think this is a voluntary missing person because the Gilmore Girls Revival comes out on Friday and I'm sure she was looking forward to that.

Tossing a phone on the side of the road usually gets the job done better than it turned out here. When we are driving in our cars we watch the road and traffic and rarely look for objects on the road or shoulder. That the husband found this one is unusual. Usually, it is a utility worker, walker/jogger or cyclist that finds a phone or other personal items tossed on the side of the road like this and days or even weeks later. While out on a cycling training ride I once found a wallet at an intersection in much more populated subdivision. When I tracked down the teenager's father through the driver's license he told me his son had said it had been missing for almost a week. I know all sorts of drivers went right past it in the road.

I can still this phone being tossed by an abductor out the car window. If someone wanted to fake an abduction it would be better to leave the phone at home.

Finally just looked at her Pinterest for the first time. I think The Black Hat Society board means nothing. I think she was planning a Halloween party and named the board that just because. Everything in that category relates to Halloween party ideas.

Moving on.

What I did notice is that she's a big fan of Gilmore Girls. So, unless she has Netflix where she is, I do not think this is a voluntary missing person because the Gilmore Girls Revival comes out on Friday and I'm sure she was looking forward to that.

With all due respect, that would make sense if she hadn't then pinned other boards with halloween ideas. It seems like a fairly odd name for a board. I would be interested to know how many people would openly use the phrase "black hat society" to describe something...seems odd to me. I think anything that could give an insight into possible reasons she disappeared as opposed to being disappeared should be looked into. Granted if research shows up no connection then yep it wasted some of my time, but if it does show a connection then I will be glad I didn't move on from it.

That is a problem with pinterest, but given how extremely organised her board is it would seem that if she was pinning for someone else that she would have included them. There is one there for Miss Sheila and she has included her on the board to be able to contribute.

I looked through her board list about 4 times before I saw the black hat society pins...It just blended in with everything else when I was looking at the pics and it really just did look like a halloween board, but when you open it says Annual witch party....

Something just grabs me about this, and as I posted previously I wonder if this is why LE is not leaning towards Abduction but family is sure she has been taken.

One thought is while I do find it intriguing that she would have the pins I also think that means her family and friends know that also cause if we found it they did because they follow her there but maybe they never thought it was anything more than a hobby but could the contributor be her sister by chance? Because I've made my mom one on albums she has me upload for fb that are old old photos so my guess is either that's a good friend or family because while I never change the captions and just have them all in albums like hair/tattoos/food I except one that is dedicated clearly to my best friend that is things she may like but she isn't a contributor and it's all various things. And for everyone else I never specify anything about a pin being for a BF etc and the only time I've had someone make me a contributor is with my bestfriend who made me and the other bridesmaids and family all contributors so I wanna say it's her sister but I may have her name wrong in my head since I'm multi-tasking but if her family and his are die hard Catholics then they wouldn't be happy about her leaving to be a witch or Wiccan and then maybe they'd want to cover it up with a hoax or abduction to get her home from the people she left with who could belong to the coven. Also I mean that as just the only theory where I think it would effect the case. But I know my family wouldn't be upset if I was into Wicca but we aren't overly religious and we've always been the whatever makes someone happy as long as it isn't causing harm types so I'm nit as familiar personally with having a catholic family or how they would react. But it is important no matter how it may come off that we find out every possible person or group we can that could lead to her even if people assume we mean it in a bad way when it's actually in hopes to find her safe. I think people and places she frequents is important for that so if she was practicing with a group of witches(or whatever they want to go by I haven't read up on this black hat society and don't know if it's like Wicca) it could somehow help lead to her or have someone who has info that helps the cops to find her. I just hope it isn't the type of group that uses people for sacrifices or anything bad.

Moving on.

Haha that is a good point because I know I wouldn't want to be anywhere without my laptop(I watch all my shows online despite having Hulu) and to end up missing game of thrones or westworld and the vampire diaries or bates motel etc I love my tv and I've even joked I wouldn't ever want to kill myself because I wouldn't know how the shows I love end(and I watch a lot of them) so if I was such a fan of that show and knew it would be on again I wouldn't leave home or harm myself. As for the pins the question is were they made before or after Halloween? Because if made a bit before Halloween that's one thing but in the summer it spring and winter that would just be weird to me.

From the brief research I have done in the last hour or so, the black hat society seems to be wicca, wtiches, pagens warlocks etc. I am sure there is a darker side to this, but of course just my opinion because i haven't experienced any of it personally.

It's an interesting point that her family would have been able to see the board, but perhaps it didn't register with them, how many of us have looked at it and it slipped under the radar. The only reason I looked at it was because I was systematically looking through all of the pages trying to establish a pattern of thought by Sherri in the last couple of months. I had looked over it several times while skimming the page.

I was raised with a very religious mother. I could not even imagine telling her if I was looking into witch craft. That would do her in I think!!

<modsnip>

I sincerely doubt modern day witchcraft has anything to do with this. The phrase "black hat society" is likely something she heard in passing (I've seen memes using it) and probably didn't realize it has anything to do with modern practitioners of Wicca. That Pinterest board is full of Halloween related witchy things, spooky decor and witchy movie characters as opposed to anything that suggests actual interest in witchcraft in any way shape or form. That "Annual Witches Ball" is just a Halloween decoration. You can find them all over Etsy and as well as other similar items at any major retailer around Halloween. I actually have like that which I got from somewhere like TJ Maxx as well as one that says "My other car is a broom" and despite anything my sister-in-law may claim at Thanksgiving I am not a witch.

She also has a board entitled "fat and happy" which she wasn't. As we know she was a runner yet she liked a tank top which read,"I don't run.If you see me running you should run too.Something is chasing me." Her Pinterest board only gives us a very broad view of who she is and it can't be taken so literally.

If it was me I would name a Halloween party board just that and not the name of something my family could mistake for Wicca unless I was telling them it was for a party when they saw it and asked. I don't get the impression either family would be ok with it as far as the parents go at least. But I think she would have a secret account for anything they weren't ok with. But to me the time they were pinned would show us if it's for Halloween but maybe she just loves spooky stuff. But with how religious everyone seems to be on the page for her on fb it makes me assume the families are but that still doesn't mean they'd think badly of her practicing that. But it is a very specific name that I don't see why someone would name something that's just to plan a party.

<modsnip>

I sincerely doubt modern day witchcraft has anything to do with this. The phrase "black hat society" is likely something she heard in passing (I've seen memes using it) and probably didn't realize it has anything to do with modern practitioners of Wicca. That Pinterest board is full of Halloween related witchy things, spooky decor and witchy movie characters as opposed to anything that suggests actual interest in witchcraft in any way shape or form. That "Annual Witches Ball" is just a Halloween decoration. You can find them all over Etsy and as well as other similar items at any major retailer around Halloween. I actually have like that which I got from somewhere like TJ Maxx as well as one that says "My other car is a broom" and despite anything my sister-in-law may claim at Thanksgiving I am not a witch.

She also has a board entitled "fat and happy" which she wasn't. As we know she was a runner yet she liked a tank top which read,"I don't run.If you see me running you should run too.Something is chasing me." Her Pinterest board only gives us a very broad view of who she is and it can't be taken so literally.
The part about running feels eerie. But especially with the dogs not picking up her scent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025