Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome :) Glad to have you
With regards to your question, what could be gained with this being a hoax. It's my opinion that these types of cases, the ones we find out are a "hoax" relate to mental, or emotional issues that are overlooked, untreated, or undiagnosed and lead to desperate or rebellious actions. I tend to think this situation happens more often within the 13-18 age range, and not so much in adulthood, but not to say it doesn't. Possible gains for doing this could be attention from your parents/family, boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife, sympathy from the same people possibly in hopes to minimize another situation or issue. If this were a hoax, I would not think it would be for monetary gain. I will leave it at that. Oh and just to clarify I don't have any professional experience in this matter, just providing my opinion from my personal experiences, and cases I have followed.

I don't have a case to reference readily available but will look to find one and add once I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a great analysis of reasons why such cases occur. Not necessarily out of malice or avarice but due to serious emotional issues. I posted the other day about a case I remember from over a decade ago in Madison, Wisconsin where a student faked her own abduction in an elaborate fashion, and the hope was to gain attention and sympathy from an ex boyfriend.

This struck me from the FiL (from the last thread): "We also spend a lot of time with Keith, Sherri and the kids each week and are a very close family; we spent a week with them in early October, as we do every year, as that is the anniversary of their wedding."

I wouldn't want to spend every wedding anniversary with my in-laws.

Maybe she was escaping from always present in-laws ...

Perhaps what FIL means is they stay a week with the kids while SP & KP celebrate their Anniversary.

With regards to your question, what could be gained with this being a hoax. It's my opinion that these types of cases, the ones we find out are a "hoax" relate to mental, or emotional issues that are overlooked, untreated, or undiagnosed and lead to desperate or rebellious actions. I tend to think this situation happens more often within the 13-18 age range, and not so much in adulthood, but not to say it doesn't. Possible gains for doing this could be attention from your parents/family, boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife, sympathy from the same people possibly in hopes to minimize another situation or issue. If this were a hoax, I would not think it would be for monetary gain. I will leave it at that. Oh and just to clarify I don't have any professional experience in this matter, just providing my opinion from my personal experiences, and cases I have followed.

I don't have a case to reference readily available but will look to find one and add once I do.

Those are really well-thought out possibilities. I can't think of a case offhand either, except the Rita Maze one, which isn't official yet. And Glineweicz, though that wasn't a disappearance. Oh, and Cheryl DeBoer. But all of those were suicides, most likely.

I guess another possibility would be some sort of revenge, however it might end up turning out. That's only hypothetical.

Who knows how Action News Now edited the sister's remarks... But I got a distinct feeling from her word choice that LE probably suspects, and is telling the family, it is likely a voluntary disappearance. This would also explain the lack of ongoing searches and urgency.

no mention of her husband this time just that she would never abandon her children in anyway.

Yep - and a sister appears in the bridal party, as well as someone whose wedding SP was maid of honor.

Did anyone see mention of immediate family in that wedding blog? Going to bridal expo or choosing photographer or anything? I saw maid of honor's name and KP.........

ETA: right there with ya- posting at same time!

This also made me go hmmmmm (with one brow raised). I wonder if she ever had a pre-Keith part 2 blog?

First time poster - long time lurker...I am so floored with all of your sleuthing. You ROCK!!! Here's my
question - what could possibly be gained with this being a hoax? I'm not saying it's not, but I don't
understand what the outcome could be if this indeed a hoax???

$$$,$$$ and a book deal?

I agree. It's becoming unbearable for me to read through all the speculation, bordering on bashing, of SP's life years ago prior to getting married and having children. These life changes can definitely have an impact on a woman, in addition to the 8 or 9 years of experience. Unless there have been signs of erratic behavior in the last year (or two), of which the family would likely know, I don't see how any of what is being dug up is relevant. I understand the curiosity, but I personally don't think any of this is helpful in bringing SP home. This is a victim friendly site. I'm sure I've slipped, but I try to keep in mind that SP's family may be reading these words while stuck in a seemingly endless nightmare. I would love nothing more than to believe her disappearance was a hoax, just to know that she is okay. Prayers for her family. Rant over.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article113091153.html

THANK YOU! I join you in these feelings.
I pray the tone of the thread will revert to it's purpose.

I agree. It's becoming unbearable for me to read through all the speculation, bordering on bashing, of SP's life years ago prior to getting married and having children. These life changes can definitely have an impact on a woman, in addition to the 8 or 9 years of experience. Unless there have been signs of erratic behavior in the last year (or two), of which the family would likely know, I don't see how any of what is being dug up is relevant. I understand the curiosity, but I personally don't think any of this is helpful in bringing SP home. This is a victim friendly site. I'm sure I've slipped, but I try to keep in mind that SP's family may be reading these words while stuck in a seemingly endless nightmare. I would love nothing more than to believe her disappearance was a hoax, just to know that she is okay. Prayers for her family. Rant over.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article113091153.html
Totally agree.... I shudder to think how people would view my "story" if it suddenly became public. I think SP, KP and the family that have spoken publicly seem to be doing the best they can in the midst of tragedy. Twisting their lives to fit theories is not helpful. I hope they aren't reading here.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rachael Mattice vanished June 23rd while staying at her family's camp. When she returned on July 6 she claimed her abductor looked a lot like Santa Claus. (She didn't say that - the picture did.) The she was charged:
Rachael Mattice arrested, charged with falsely reporting an incident

There are others but that's the only one I followed here.

Unless you count the two (Cheryl DeBoer and possibly Rita Maze) that ended in suicides.

The family and friends not searching and just hanging their hat on This ransom thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
That might be because I think it's ludicrous and ridiculous at this stage with no shred of kidnapping for ransom evidence but if this was my sister or daughter or spouse you'd never see me sleep...by day I'd be on foot searching every inch of the area and at night bombarding with sm. I'd be on talk shows and in papers...

As others have said, I think that the silence and inaction is odd and says that they may know or suspect something. There is a whole different tone with Stacey Smart's desperate family in Trinity county...with a lot less media support.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...tacey-Smart-51-Trinity-County-12-October-2016

But in fairness I will say that some families don't have that card in their deck. Stephanie Warner's sister in NOLA didn't speak to a TV reporter for three months, and Stephanie's family didn't have a clue what happened to her in Oregon. So you just never know what the crickets mean.
JMO

I know you said you snipped the first series of comments below from another poster, but do you have a link? I'm only asking, because the only place I've seen them mentioned was in the comments of a blogger's page which has not been proven to be credible.

Bringing this back from the other thread, sorry I can't remember who posted it and I snipped it.

Her mom not finding out later or at least not posting makes me wonder how close SP/KP are with SP's family. It seems the in-laws were very involved on a regular basis.In-laws picked the kids up from daycare, in-laws watched the kids every Saturday, in-laws take an anniversary trip every year.

Combined with her wedding blog, I wonder if the in-laws fit more into the fairy tale type of lifestyle SP dreamed of?

This also made me go hmmmmm (with one brow raised). I wonder if she ever had a pre-Keith part 2 blog?

$$$,$$$ and a book deal?

I know you said you snipped the first series of comments below from another poster, but do you have a link? I'm only asking, because the only place I've seen them mentioned was in the comments of a blogger's page which has not been proven to be credible.

They might need to be considered rumor, because I think most of that info (vacations, Saturday babysitting) came from the Find Sherri FB page (and maybe others). After 7 threads, I couldn't even begin to remember where I've read things.

Sorry!

Rachael Mattice vanished June 23rd while staying at her family's camp. When she returned on July 6 she claimed her abductor looked a lot like Santa Claus. (She didn't say that - the picture did.) The she was charged:
Rachael Mattice arrested, charged with falsely reporting an incident

There are others but that's the only one I followed here.

Unless you count the two (Cheryl DeBoer and possibly Rita Maze) that ended in suicides.

How did we forget Jennifer Wilbanks??

No apologies needed. I've read so many comments on so many different threads, it's hard to keep them all straight. I just found that particular blog to be hateful and holding no merit.

They might need to be considered rumor, because I think most of that info (vacations, Saturday babysitting) came from the Find Sherri FB page (and maybe others). After 7 threads, I couldn't even begin to remember where I've read things.

Sorry!

Usually about the time we hit this many threads all the MSM stories get gathered into a media thread for easy reference. I'm not volunteering. I'm just saying. ;) But come to think of it, do we even have enough to bother with? :dunno:

In her talk of the wedding, she also says she and Keith first kissed in eighth grade, and have been together every day since. How could that happen if there were another marriage in there? For sure, there are some things that don't add up. I wonder if they just tell stories as what they wished had happened, rather than the actual reality. I am equally split on left on her own, or was abducted, but definitely agree that it must be either left on her own, or some kind of hoax. Thanks everyone, for all the great info that you find. Katt

You did not read that correctly. After they reconnected years later they have been together everyday since.

The results of the last two times I have posted the poll (below).

Possibilities

.1. Abducted by person known to her; alive
.2. Abducted by person known to her; deceased
.3. Abducted by person unknown to her; alive
.4. Abducted by person unknown to her; deceased
.5. Murdered by person known to her; jog a red herring
.6. Hit by car; driver hid body
.7. Suicide
.8. Amnesia
.9. Hoax
10. Wilfully missing
11. Witness protection
12. Human traffickers
13. Space beings
14. Crafty clowns
15. None of the above; explain below

.1xx
.2xxxxx
.4xxxxxxxxxx
.5xxxxxxx
10xxxxxxxx
15xx

Keep in mind that some chose one, some chose several.

Possibilities

.7. Suicide
.8. Amnesia
.9. Hoax
10. Wilfully missing
11. Witness protection
12. Human traffickers
13. Space beings
14. Crafty clowns

.1xx
.2xxxxx
.4xxxxxxxxxx
.5xxxxxxx
10xxxxxxxx
15xx

Are the x's by 10 a combination of votes for 9 and 10? I know at least two posters have said 9 (hoax) was one of their top answers and you don't have any x's there....

Possibilities

.7. Suicide
.8. Amnesia
.9. Hoax
10. Wilfully missing
11. Witness protection
12. Human traffickers
13. Space beings
14. Crafty clowns

.1xx
.2xxxxx
.4xxxxxxxxxx
.5xxxxxxx
10xxxxxxxx
15xx

Hoax got some votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members