Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Gitana1 said legally, Sherri is not obligated to share anything other than what she has told them already. Hopefully she will confirm, if I am wrong.

What about her family members or an anonymous donor? Someone who knows her might have paid a ransom and not told Sherri nor her family about it to protect her. In this case the person offering up a ransom reward kept their identity a secret and even told the police in the online letter that they had legal representation and were within their rights to do what they were doing. If they paid the ransom (a BIG IF), LE would have to investigate to try to prove that and then try to find out who the anonymous person was. But they are probably more interested in catching the kidnappers...at least I hope so. I'm not sure of the legalities of a person paying a ransom and then NOT working with LE to find the kidnappers.

On the other hand, it's NOT illegal to lie to kidnappers so I would work with the police if I paid a ransom and got my loved one back alive, but only if the police promised not to reveal I had cooperated to help find the kidnappers (because-threats to my life/Sherri's family if I worked with police)...It's all very convoluted, I know, but I'm wondering if this is what is going on behind the scenes. Maybe: A ransom was paid. The secret donor is cooperating with police and has enough info to find the abductors. Police are not revealing that in order to protect the people involved and LE also don't feel an urgency to release more info about the captors because they are hot on their trail already. IDK. All speculation only.

Where did you read that some search warrants were sealed? Are these new search warrants since she was found or old ones from before?

Link, please and thank you, and sorry if it was posted and I missed it, I can barely keep up with this thread!

“Detectives have authored close to 20 search warrants – some of which are sealed – and they said they’re examining cellphone records, bank accounts, email and social media profiles. Investigators have declined to discuss what prompted them to file the search warrants or why detectives have traveled out of state.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article117110028.html#storylink=cpy

Went to the grocery store and now I'm totally lost. Do we know for a fact that no money (reward or ransom) was paid to anyone? If so, does anyone have a link?

So was the woman that couldn't stop to help Sherri so called LE from the side of the road, part of the plan?

Hmmm. Good question. Lol

But I doubt it since she didn't stick around.

So I will not jump to that conclusion. Lol

We must be careful.
1480192589256-696510299001.jpg

Interesting. I'm curious about the legal details. Hypothetically, say my loved one was kidnapped and held for ransom and the kidnappers threatened to kill my loved one if I told the police they were demanding a ransom. And say I am a wealthy woman, so I retain a lawyer and a ransom negotiator to get my loved one back. If I pay the ransom and my loved one is released alive and I don't tell the police about paying the ransom, what could I be charged with? Impeding a police investigation maybe? What else?

(All hypothetically, of course, I am NOT wealthy, so no one go getting any ideas :laughing:)

No. Nothing in your hypothesis is illegal.

Before Papini reappeared, investigators said they had spoken with her friends and acquaintances, as well as “people Sherri has had past relationships with” to try to find her. Investigators said they had gone out of state tracking down leads.

Detectives have authored close to 20 search warrants – some of which are sealed – and they said they’re examining cellphone records, bank accounts, email and social media profiles. Investigators have declined to discuss what prompted them to file the search warrants or why detectives have traveled out of state. Bosenko said Friday he had no new information to release.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article117110028.html#storylink=cpy

Thank you tlcya! I swear I read that article and didn't see the words "sealed". :facepalm:

Hello and welcome to WS, MJB.

Thank you! I appreciate the welcome.

I read about the out of state searches by investigators and the sealed warrants in the Sacramento Bee.

If I'm reading between the lines, and we all are, then I'm going to speculate that the authorities suspect they know her abductor.

Wow. Thank you for answering! I'm surprised!

I agree, one would think LE would have the ultimate authority in something like a kidnapping/ransom. But if it were my loved one, I'd do whatever it took to get them back.

The investigators are leaving things out for a reason but who knows why specifically. I notice the media articles make no mention of her being beaten and chained. The press releases from investigators or her sister make no mention of it either.
We now know it was mentioned in the call to dispatch from CHP..so why is that part being omitted from articles and interviews? And why are we given a lead of 2 Hispanic Women and asked to alert with tips when no other info is given such as did they speak only Spanish? Was there a general age that could be assumed from the voices? Were they the ones who beat Sherri? Did they treat her as humanely as possible given the circumstances?

The police must know a lot more than they are saying. Their reasons are their own so I am trying not to speculate on anything at this time. It's just hard as minds are curious.

Does anyone know if Sherri was definitely employed at the time she went missing? I cannot find a definitive report on this one way or another.

If there are criminals somewhere enjoying "more money than you can spend" thanks to this ransom, it just really nails how backwards the world has become. Meanwhile the majority of us here spend our free time researching missing, murdered and unidentified people while struggling to feed our families and never ask for anything.

I just wanted to chime in and make it very clear that women DO kidnap other women all around the world. I keep seeing people skeptical because "women don't kidnap other women." but that's dangerously naive. Women kidnap other women for all the same reasons men kidnap women to include sex trafficking, ransom, to sell as domestic household slaves, for sexually sadist gratification either for themselves and or/ their sadist male partners or simply for a thrill kill. You must be as cautious when approached by a female stranger as a male stranger.

Thank you! I appreciate the welcome.

I read about the out of state searches by investigators and the sealed warrants in the Sacramento Bee.

If I'm reading between the lines, and we all are, then I'm going to speculate that the authorities suspect they know her abductor.
I suspect they have their ideas.

I'm curious about this, too. Why were her children in all day daycare if she's out for a run? If she's not employed, then why are her children in daycare?

Does anyone know if Sherri was definitely employed at the time she went missing? I cannot find a definitive report on this one way or another.

ADMIN NOTE, particularly for newer members.

IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO KNOW AND FOLLOW THE RULES OF THIS SITE. You can find them linked for your convenience in my signature line.

One of those rules is that Websleuths is a victim friendly site. Aftter you have read the rules, please read the first post on page one of this thread.

I'm curious about this, too. Why were her children in all day daycare if she's out for a run? If she's not employed, then why are her children in daycare?
Some families have a stay at home parent, and use child care part or full time. I'm not sure how old their kids are, but it sounds like they aren't in school yet. I think it's reasonable that Sherri might need some time during the week, to run errands, go running, etc. I don't think this is strange.

I've never heard that they were at daycare all day. Nor have I heard that they were at daycare more than 2 or 3 days a week.

We were raised to be polite. That is what perpetrators count on, before we realize it we are victims.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gift_of_Fear
Read the PINS section!
Actually I recommend that everyone should read this book.
I checked it out at my local library, then bought it for my daughter.

Great book! I've got it and "Protecting the Gift." This guy caught me in my comfort zone, which, I s'pose, is how things go sideways sometimes.

When I'm out and about, I'm super alert and cautious. Four days before this guy appeared on my porch, I was standing in my front yard with our dog at 2:30 on a weekday afternoon when a 1980s kidnapper van with four guys in it drove up the street, saw me, slowed and then stopped in front of me. They all leered, said something that I didn't quite catch, and either took pics or video of me.

I had the wherewithal that time to aim my iPhone back at them, photograph them and their license plate, and give them a steely old glare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious for those who may still be inclined toward "hoax", have any of you ever followed an abduction case that turned out to in fact be a hoax, where the victim was located battered and chained? I know it's in movies all the time but I mean in actual, real life. It just seems to me that's awfully far to go, to willfully hurt yourself or have someone else do it, to make your story believable.

And just as an aside, in the speculative scenario that this is a hoax, where was she staying, how was she buying food and where did the chain/restraints come from? Unless she had a few bills tucked in her jogging pants, someone else would have had to be involved in this.

Very late last night, for some equally bizarre reason another case described as such popped into my mind.

Oh it happened a long time ago, long before I was born.

As in the mid 1920's.

I will say the lady was a very famous American prominent in the religious community, long before her reputed kidnapping.

I have my own opinions about what happened to SP but will not post them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper