GUILTY CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha! It's about time. I never thought we'd see the day.

Sherri Papini arrested for making false statements about her kidnapping

Officials announced that 39-year-old Sherri Papini of Redding was arrested Thursday on charges of making false statements to a federal law enforcement officer and engaging in mail fraud.

<snip>

According to the criminal complaint filed in this case, on Nov. 2, 2016, Papini was reported missing, and extensive searches were conducted for her in Shasta County and California as well as in several other states.

<snip>

The DOJ says that in truth, Papini had been voluntarily staying with a former boyfriend in Costa Mesa and had harmed herself to support her false statements.

<snip>

According to the DOJ, in an interview conducted by a federal agent and a Shasta County Sheriff’s Office detective in August 2020, Papini was warned that it was a crime to lie to federal agents. She was presented with evidence that showed she had not been abducted. Instead of retracting her kidnapping story, Papini continued to make false statements about her purported abductors. In addition, Papini caused the California Victim’s Compensation Board to pay victim assistance money based on her kidnapping story. From 2017 through 2021, Papini’s request for victim assistance caused approximately 35 payments totaling over $30,000, including for visits to her therapist and for the ambulance that transported her to the hospital after her return.
<modsnip> . I'm happy to hear SP will pay some sort of consequence for what she did. What a ridiculous waste of time, energy, and financial resources. Not to mention making a mockery of the victims of real crime. Hope she has to pay back every penny!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a difficult time understanding why she pulled this stunt. According to the ex-boyfriend, he picked her up and drove her to his apartment, where she spent most of the time sitting in a darkened bedroom where the windows were boarded up. No tv, alone during the day while he worked, no going outdoors. Sounded like a miserable, boring time. So why do it?

Once she got “released”, she imagined she would have one hell of a sob story she could milk for years.

I mean that's commitment. Lunatic. She's got a great imagination too. She is a very detailed liar.
What about how she remembered everything in the ExBF’s house in exquisite detail, down to a tiny crack in a corner of a table, but stumbled over very basic questions about her kidnapping and what she endured as a prisoner. Then when she was busted when LE showed her the table on ExBF Facebook. Ay yi yi.

LE: We found where you were held.
SP: REALLY?

Wasn’t it odd how her police statements were peppered with f#cker, f#ck, hell, crap, etc.? She needs to let go of the Cool Girl act.

I also love how she chewed off her zip ties and hulked off a nailed down board across a window! Haha!

She stood on the bed to get to the window, which was covered with two boards. PAPINI stated that she “yanked the out of the wall super quick,” referring to a board over the window, and broke her nail in the process.

:D Oh no, not a nail!

Last edited:
I have a difficult time understanding why she pulled this stunt. According to the ex-boyfriend, he picked her up and drove her to his apartment, where she spent most of the time sitting in a darkened bedroom where the windows were boarded up. No tv, alone during the day while he worked, no going outdoors. Sounded like a miserable, boring time. So why do it?
I read the ex-boyfriend’s interview responses out loud to my DH and said… “it’s as if she’s playing out some kind of sex slave/hostage fantasy scenario”.

Right? I mean… she insists on riding in the backseat of the car for the entire drive without speaking, chops off her hair, asks him to brand her and bruise her and board up the windows, intentionally starves herself, procures zip ties and chains and whatever else.

She could have easily accomplished her goal without all the theatrics. It’s bizarre.

I love the snarky little comment about how it was unclear how she was able to chew off the zipties while allegedly having both hands bound behind her back. Apparently she was a talented contortionist...?

What about how she remembered everything in the ExBF’s house in exquisite detail, down to a tiny crack in a corner of a table, but stumbled over very basic questions about her kidnapping and what she endured as a prisoner…

Exactly, and that discrepancy also supports that her kidnapping story was fabricated. The details of her “true” or actual experience (at her ex-boyfriends) leaked out in aspects of her made-up story.

STAWP! I can’t. She is too much.

Before Sherri went for a jog she just happened to be lovingly wrapping Christmas presents for hubaroonski. Because don’t forget she loves him so so much!

Then she texted him at work, “Honey, would you please come home, to have sex with your wife, for lunch?” (Because she is SO hot to bang him. She is NOT thinking about faking a kidnapping involving corrupt policemen and evil, sex trafficking Hispanic women with drawn on eyebrows.)

When Sherri was kidnapped at gun point she held them off just long enough to gently arrange her iPod on the ground. When hubby found it it was set to play their wedding song Michael Buble “Everything” on repeat!

Last edited:
Because I don’t think that’s what happened MOO

Ideas why they waited until now to charge her when they had the DNA info and info from the Ex-boyfriend in 2020?

And it appears her therapist needs a new profession! And needs to payback the victim compensation fund.

Definitely agree about paying back the victim compensation fund! Just a thought - we may never know - but over time, the therapist may have come to the realization that SP was malingering - i.e., not making progress in therapy, regressing, etc. I think it’s interesting that the criminal complaint document showed that SP’s therapy ended in March 2021. Or, at least, that was my read from the amount of $$ spent on therapeutic services to that time.

So the ex-boyfriend was lying when he said they didn't have sex? Why would he lie about that? He wasn't married, etc. Strange.
Because he wanted people to know that he didn't keep her around for sex. That would sound terrible, especially since she was married.

I'm sure he kept her around for the pies. Definitely the pies.

If you recall, she didn't JUST make pies----she made them gorgeous, according to her sister/sil.

ETA: With a little luck, they'll have an opening in the prison kitchen and she can make a little money to pay back all that money she 'borrowed' from the taxpayers. Her new sleep over friends will undoubtedly like her pies more than they like her.

Last edited:
Oh definitely! I only think it would've been better to arrest her not in front of her children, for their sakes.

Yes it would have been better for the sake of the children. But given that Sherri did not have her children’s best interest as her priority, plus her love of high drama, it wouldn’t surprise me if she was responsible for the children witnessing the arrest.
JMO

I hadn’t thought about this case for years until we drove south past Redding in December. I tried really hard to give her the benefit of the doubt from the beginning, even with all the red flags flying. I would have felt terrible if my cynicism took over and it turned out it was all true. But as it progressed, there was so much weirdness surrounding her story plus the guy doing the “reverse ransom”… where did that money come from and go? I started stepping over the “victim friendly” line into “she planned this” territory more and more. The story she wrote in high school clinched it.

Clearly, she’s not a well woman. I too suspect one or more personality disorders…<modsnip> but I don’t even play a doctor on television, so it’s JMO. Her FB life was so carefully curated to show a perfect family. Her professional photos with her husband with his back to the camera and her looking doe-eyed at the camera over his shoulder with her “signature hair”…they were creepy (to me anyway).

I’m glad the investigation continued and was thorough so that she will have to pay a price for her carefully planned deception. Well done LE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member