GUILTY CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been following this, I was aware when she was missing, and then found. I'd just like to remind everyone there have been more than one case where according to investigators, the victim 'fabricated' their story, only for it to come out much later, in one case, years, the victim had been telling the truth. One case was a female in the last ten years in California, who was telling the truth. I'm not going to locate details within 24 hrs, so, if you want to zap this, go for it. The other one that's on the top of my mind, several females were raped, and the guy collected 'trophies'. One trophy couldn't be placed until somehow someone remembered the girl, aged out of foster care, living on her own in an apartment, who said she'd been raped and they didn't believe her. Well, she was telling the truth and she was the rapist's first victim. I'll get back to you on this. New computer is so difficult to get used to, I can't find anything anywhere and I don't know how to use it. See? I hit a button, don't know what it was and I can't fix it. Wish me luck.

Big difference with the Huskins case. In the Huskins case, the authorities issued a statement the night the victim was released, saying they did not believe the story. Neither she nor her boyfriend were charged.

In the other case the victim was not believed and she was charged with making a false report months after the incident. Not years. And not after extensive investigation.

Both cases likely served as cautionary tales and explain why despite some misgivings or discrepancies, the authorities tread very lightly with this case.

In the case of the young rape victim, it was almost the opposite of this case in that here, DNA was used to determine the victim was lying but in the rape case, trophy evidence was ultimately used to determine the victim was telling the truth.

This has been a five year investigation. Read the complaint. It’s extensive. Longest I’ve ever read. And it tells the entire story.

I've followed this case on and off and the thing that struck me is that it is seem obvious Sherri Papini suffers from some sort of mental illness, probably similar to
"Histrionic Personality Disorder" which is characterized by "an overwhelming desire to be noticed, and often behave dramatically or inappropriately to get attention."

Although Sherri Papini obviously broke the law, and did take and spend money that did not belong to her, under false pretenses, the main damage her crime caused, beyond resource expended by law enforcement, was emotional damage to her family, her husband and children, and her ex-boyfriend.

I hope she can work out a plea deal that will spare her any time in jail, and will allow her to get the mental health treatment she desperately needs, although I don't know if there is any "cure" for someone in her condition.

All of this is my opinion only.

Just a few thoughts that came to my mind:

- Many times the problem with the therapy is that it is not a licenced psychotherapist treating the patient and if it is, not in that field that would give the best results, or the chemistry between the patient and the therapist is not there/ it's somehow twisted or something else damaging. We're all human etc.
It depends on the country and the state, what the law is about who can call themselves therapists. I respect a psychology degree, but the trueth is, not everyone who is a psychologist can treat that kind of pathological behavior. This looks like a person with a personality build on this kind of behavior. So 6 years of therapy might be whatever. It might be the nicest yes-person that she could find.

- Personality disorders are somewhat treatable. Not all and not everyone, but it is possible and I've seen it with my own eyes. Someone close to me had a great cognitive psychotherapy experience, and she transformed out of that borderline behavior in 10 years. The diagnosis was wiped off. I'm lucky to have witnessed it.
This does not apply to everyone. But with the best that is available, it's most likely to at least minimize the ways the disorder controls one. This excludes the worst of the worst
I believe the Federal Complaint includes the dates and disbursements to a payee by the victim compensation fund. Has anybody referenced the clinic and/or provider here? Typically, they need to be an approved vendor/provider to eliminate or safeguard against much of what OP describes. JMO

I've followed this case on and off and the thing that struck me is that it is seem obvious Sherri Papini suffers from some sort of mental illness, probably similar to
"Histrionic Personality Disorder" which is characterized by "an overwhelming desire to be noticed, and often behave dramatically or inappropriately to get attention."

Although Sherri Papini obviously broke the law, and did take and spend money that did not belong to her, under false pretenses, the main damage her crime caused, beyond resource expended by law enforcement, was emotional damage to her family, her husband and children, and her ex-boyfriend.

I hope she can work out a plea deal that will spare her any time in jail, and will allow her to get the mental health treatment she desperately needs, although I don't know if there is any "cure" for someone in her condition.

You're forgetting the psychological damage she did to the community who lived in fear for years that there were kidnappers in the area. And the fear that Hispanic women had that if they were to go out in pairs, traveling in a van, they might become suspects.

She's had mental health treatment for 5 years and continues to lie.

At 39 yrs of age, she needs to finally learn there are consequences for her actions. Jail is the only way to get through to her, apparently.

A plea deal with probation, will only confirm to her that there are no consequences for her actions no matter how many people are impacted by them.

She needs to go to jail.

Last edited:
I believe the Federal Complaint includes the dates and disbursements to a payee by the victim compensation fund. Has anybody referenced the clinic and/or provider here? Typically, they need to be an approved vendor/provider to eliminate or safeguard against much of what OP describes. JMO

Confirming the approved CalVCB payments by the California State Controller's Office (CSCO) do not name the clinic and/or provider.

upload_2022-3-11_12-37-40.png

eh... i hope she gets some time. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:

^^bbm

While I'm not a mental health professional, IMO, SP exhibits characteristics similar to narcissistic personality disorder which is a mental condition in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others.

I also think alleging her captors were Hispanic women that further tortured her with their music and food comes off as a borderline hate crime (no pun intended with border-line).

When the Judge in the Jussie Smollett case addressed him in a reprimand before he was sentenced to 150 days in jail and 30 days probation following a conviction of 5 counts of lying to police about a staged hate crime, he delivered a stunning rebuke of the actor.

Similar to Papini being characterized as a charitable citizen and super mom, the Judge acknowledged that although the actor had a history of decades of support for social justice, there was also a dark side to him that was profoundly arrogant, selfish, and narcissistic.

The Judge talked about how Smollet's need for attention overruled his good side when he premeditated (planned) his hoax, and that the premeditation here was an aggravating factor.

Similarly, Papini's hoax was not a crime of opportunity. When she got out of bed on November 2, 2016, she knew in advance that her former boyfriend was going to collect her and take her to Costa Mesa because she planned this -- it was all premeditated wherein legal terms was an aggravating factor. Like a movie script, she chose a person (Reyes) that she knew was loyal to her and that she trusted.

Clearly, Papini's dark side of selfishness and narcissism where she craves extensive attention took over her healthy side.

Just as important, we know that Papini has a long history of lying, attention seeking, and self-harm. Once again, by carrying out this alleged hoax, she got the pity party that she wanted and didn't care that she used others (her selfish, narcissistic side).

Again, Papini squandered police as well as real victim resources because she was arrogant and selfish! She never wanted this crime solved because she did all of this [to] herself, and solving the crime would 'out her.'

While some will no doubt say that by Papini turning her life upside down by her misconduct and shenanigans and that she has suffered enough, I definitely believe that she needs to serve jail time-- not only for the aggravating factor of premeditation but also for the pain endured by real victims of kidnapping-- many of whom that never overcome their ordeal.

Narcissistic personality disorder - Symptoms and causes.

‘The Hypocrisy is Just Astounding': Judge Scolds Jussie Smollett at Sentencing Hearing

Last edited:
Yes, time in the pokey indeed. I would suggest all participants as well - including the husband and potential affair partner, especially if they were co-conspirators.

My take -- she ran off to be with her real/imagined lover, only later realizing she made a big mistake and loved hubby and the kids more.
AP realized it was unsustainable while hubby wanted her back and was willing to forgive.
Hubby agreed to accept her back and knew she was coming back on Thanksgiving.
All the other histrionic stuff was cover for a mundane extra-marital affair (even if not consummated, but this I do not believe thank you DNA-in-the-panties).
How human and boring, except for the wife's need to go the lengths she did to cover her shame (however hysterical, i.e. branding and chains).
These people are not the sharpest pencils in the box.

You're forgetting the psychological damage she did to the community who lived in fear for years that there were kidnappers in the area. And the fear that Hispanic women had that if they were to go out in pairs, traveling in a van, they might become suspects.

At 39 yrs of age, she needs to finally learn there are consequences for her actions. Jail is the only way to get through to her, apparently.

A plea deal with probation, will only confirm to her that there are no consequences for her actions no matter how many people are impacted by them.

She needs to go to jail.
I’m no fan of Sherri but I’ll be surprised if she gets much time. I don’t know how it is in CA but in my area, since Covid, plenty of non-violent offenders are being released or not even being sentenced to jail, when they normally would.

New to the case, was reading the complaint, and it said the Sherri Graeff post was on myspace. I also read it was on skinheadz.com. Does anybody know why this is? Was the same thing posted on more than one website?

Also do you think it was her that wrote it. And do you think that the stories in the post are real and not made up?

New to the case, was reading the complaint, and it said the Sherri Graeff post was on myspace. I also read it was on skinheadz.com. Does anybody know why this is? Was the same thing posted on more than one website?

Also do you think it was her that wrote it. And do you think that the stories in the post are real and not made up?
i think she made it, it was from long ago. although i dont think its completely real. i think she may have been picked on by a latina in school and then turned it into this in her head.

redding has a lot of those sort of ppl (skin head, far right).

I’m no fan of Sherri but I’ll be surprised if she gets much time. I don’t know how it is in CA but in my area, since Covid, plenty of non-violent offenders are being released or not even being sentenced to jail, when they normally would.

I think OP makes a good point and while I agree about non-violent offenders and jail during the peak of COVID, I also followed several federal cases during the past two years and it seemed to me that U.S. District Court (federal cases) was not as charitable as the State to allow defendants released on house arrest. Based on the federal charges, I don't think a sentence on the minimum side would pose a housing problem. While I don't see SP sentenced to 20 years, I don't think she can escape some jail time. JMO

Papini faces maximum sentences of five years in prison for lying to a federal agent and 20 years in prison on mail fraud.

Sherri Papini, California woman who allegedly made up abduction, freed on bond

i think she made it, it was from long ago. although i dont think its completely real. i think she may have been picked on by a latina in school and then turned it into this in her head.

redding has a lot of those sort of ppl (skin head, far right).

Didn't SP admit to making the post, citing how her dad was proud of her for standing up for her race, and later hiring an attorney in an attempt to get the post removed? If not in the Complaint, I'm sure I read this on the thread. JMO

I don't think she viewed the ex-boyfriend as any sort of lover. Rather, he was somewhere safe to go while she perpetrated her kidnapping hoax. I fully believe he was sleeping on the couch. DNA on her clothes may have made its way there without her participation as I do think he wanted more. I would be shocked to learn that they continued their secret throw-away phone relationship once she got back home. Ex-boyfriend was used and discarded, IMO.

I don't think she viewed the ex-boyfriend as any sort of lover. Rather, he was somewhere safe to go while she perpetrated her kidnapping hoax. I fully believe he was sleeping on the couch. DNA on her clothes may have made its way there without her participation as I do think he wanted more. I would be shocked to learn that they continued their secret throw-away phone relationship once she got back home. Ex-boyfriend was used and discarded, IMO.

I think she used him as a pawn. I can believe he was sleeping on the couch, but I would bet she had sex with him at one point. Not because she viewed him as a romantic partner, but either because it was part of her plan, or she did it to keep leading him on. Or both.

She needs to go to jail.
You assume that Sherri thinks like a rational person. What she has is a need for the people close to her to see her a certain way and treat her a certain way. Being in prison wouldn't necessarily preclude that, especially the relatively light sentence I expect she would receive for the charges so far against her. She's probably watching Orange is the New Black right now to prepare herself.

She needs to suffer a financial burden to her lifestyle that she can't just get a man to wave away and compulsory psychiatric therapy from a good therapist she won't be able to manipulate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robinhood0602