Deceased/Not Found CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Morgan Hill, 16 March 2012 #11 *A. Garcia-Torres guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A better comparison would be to Alice Cooper. He sang all the time about murder, cannibalism & other taboos... in a joking manner that many parents of yesteryear didn't get & found absolutely horrifying.

"They said, 'He's sick; he's obscene!'"

OMG, I am in the video wearing a black 2-piece bathing suit, and I was told this was a Weight Watchers commercial.

The words don't sound as bad because I barely understood 'em.
I have never seen such an offensive video in my life. Gag! Being a large gal, I don't think that comment was appropriate.

Is this video something Sierra watched that pertains to this case?

That was very helpful. Just a few followup questions though.

1)Does turning the cell phone off, or turning on "airplane mode" stop the pings?

With most cell phones, the only way to stop the pinging is to remove the battery from the phone. There are still a few (very low end/older) cell phones on the market that stop pinging when powered down but these are a minority and steadily decreasing.

2)How often do the pings go out?

Several times a minute; keep in mind that a cell phone in a moving vehicle on the interstate through an area with lots of cell towers (such as a city beltway) can move in and out of the best area for each tower quite rapidly.

3)Does anyone know if the cell phone was found based on the pings and a very accurate location? Or did they just know it was within a certain distance of where it was found?

LE said it was found via electronic signalling. I think this means that LE got a subpoena to require the provider to send out a signal that activated the GPS signalling capability of the phone.

Most cell phones with GPS capability do not have it on constantly because using the GPS system is a power drain. It takes a lot more juice to reach three satellites than it does to reach a single cell tower on earth. The GPS usually only comes on when an app requires it or when the provider sends the phone a signal to turn it on.

Otherwise, since the cell phone was sitting still, they used cell tower triangulation and narrowed the search area down to a very small area (a couple hundred square feet; about the size of a bedroom or living room).

There are a few reasons I ask these questions.

a)If it pings every 15 minutes for example, then LE would know whether the phone sat in that spot for an extended period of time

Yes; LE knows pretty much to the minute when that phone landed where it was found.

b)If an precise location wasn't obtained from the pings just a general area, then the phone could have been disabled and then later taken back to the location where it was found. (I seem to remember reading tweets from her frienda saying her phone was going straight to voicemail. This was before the phone had been found).

Well, the phone could have been disabled but that would show up as a gap in the ping record.

I don't know about Sierra's phone but I know that with my phone, if I don't answer a call, subsequent calls go straight to voicemail until I check voicemail.

Lastly, I guess what I was getting at is if these pings occur in pretty short intervals, and are fairly precise, then LE should know approximately what time she left her house, how fast she was going, and when the phone arrived in the spot it was found.

If these pings aren't frequent or precise, then none of these conclusions can be made. Make sense?

Yes, makes sense.

I have no doubt at all that LE knows pretty much when her cellphone left their property, etc.

(snip)We all know that even an innocent ad placed online with something like Craig's List can be a person's undoing.

A while back I wanted to get a new ice cream maker and looked on Craigslist. I found one and after a couple of text messages back and forth, we agreed on a price. I thought all this time I was dealing with a woman. Sexist, I guess, but it was a KITCHEN appliance. I kept asking for the address, and the seller delayed calling me until a couple hours after we had agreed on and turned out to be a man. I got the address from him, and told him I'd put it into my Tom Tom and did not need directions. He never gave me his name.

Well, I had my computer on, as I had not thought I would be hearing from the seller that evening, so I just Googled the address so I could print directions since the Tom Tom is not always reliable. And I'll be a darned if it did not turn out that a registered sex offender lived at that address. Also cross-referenced as a child sex offender and a violent sex offender. I texted him what I had found out and that I was NOT coming to get the ice cream maker.

NORMALLY I WOULD have just put it in the Tom Tom and gone, I would not have googled the guy. 5 years ago I would have, but I have gotten too trusting, and could have walked into a bad situation. I never once had a "funny feeling" it was just happenstance that the computer was there, so I googled his address.

Sorry OT

I had to chuckle at "smacked."

I agree parents should be upset. Likely since the beginning of time generations have shocked those who came before them. The difference is that when we did things that shocked our elders, we did them locally within our group. We were by that relatively safe. Today's kids are doing this for many people far outside their local clique to see. It stands to reason that with almost unlimited exposure kids are not as safe as the would be when what they say and do is limited to their own community.

More exposure means exposure to vast numbers who would otherwise not see or hear what your kid is doing or saying. And when those numbers increase, so do the number of bad eggs...of all ages...who have access to and means for gaining info for nefarious reasons.

I am for the most part acceptable of kids having a certain amount of privacy and, within reasonable expectations of decency, being allowed to speak their jargon, etc., until it puts them in harm's way. And let's face it, social media can and does do that. We all know that even an innocent ad placed online with something like Craig's List can be a person's undoing.

But if Sierra was targeted via social media it doesn't necessarily mean it was a SO/RSO from Timbuktu. It could have been someone in her area; even someone from her school or former school. It could have started out flirty, led to a point where Sierra drew the line but the other person stepped over it. And then something happened that was never intended, but it was of course too late to turn back.

BBM

Kids back then (for me, "back then" was the late 60s/early 70s) were safer... IF they did not happen to live near a predator. If they lived near a predator (as I did), then they were preyed upon (as I was).

There is absolutely no evidence that shows that the number of predators in the general population is increasing. In fact, violent crimes have been trending downwards overall for the last 20 years.

Predators hunt. That's what they do. That's their motivating force. Predators were hunting long before the internet was just Darpanet.

Different modes of hunting leads predators to different victims but if a predator doesn't have one type of access, they will just shift to a different type of access.

So long as a predator is out there, they will find victims.

Accepting this fact has been key in my own personal decision to refuse to live in fear. There is a whole, rich, wondrous world out there and I don't want to spend my time cowering in one little corner to maintain an illusion of safety.

I don't want that for my niece (who is living with me) either.

A while back I wanted to get a new ice cream maker and looked on Craigslist. I found one and after a couple of text messages back and forth, we agreed on a price. I thought all this time I was dealing with a woman. Sexist, I guess, but it was a KITCHEN appliance. I kept asking for the address, and the seller delayed calling me until a couple hours after we had agreed on and turned out to be a man. I got the address from him, and told him I'd put it into my Tom Tom and did not need directions. He never gave me his name.

Well, I had my computer on, as I had not thought I would be hearing from the seller that evening, so I just Googled the address so I could print directions since the Tom Tom is not always reliable. And I'll be a darned if it did not turn out that a registered sex offender lived at that address. Also cross-referenced as a child sex offender and a violent sex offender. I texted him what I had found out and that I was NOT coming to get the ice cream maker.

NORMALLY I WOULD have just put it in the Tom Tom and gone, I would not have googled the guy. 5 years ago I would have, but I have gotten too trusting, and could have walked into a bad situation. I never once had a "funny feeling" it was just happenstance that the computer was there, so I googled his address.

Sorry OT

I had a naive Craigslist experience also. I was looking for a part time job and emailed my resume to a ad that was posting as a well known mental health facility. Like a dumb, dumb my address and phone number were listed on the resume. I began getting obscene phone calls. I was able to track down the person and investigated their past. They had a lengthy record for burglary and fraud. I did file a report at the police station but unfortunately until the person is caught doing something after the fact, filing a report is all you can do. I hope that you filed a report on your experience. Sometimes we just don't think to do those things.
Sorry to be OT!

BBM

Kids back then (for me, "back then" was the late 60s/early 70s) were safer... IF they did not happen to live near a predator. If they lived near a predator (as I did), then they were preyed upon (as I was).

There is absolutely no evidence that shows that the number of predators in the general population is increasing. In fact, violent crimes have been trending downwards overall for the last 20 years.

Predators hunt. That's what they do. That's their motivating force. Predators were hunting long before the internet was just Darpanet.

Different modes of hunting leads predators to different victims but if a predator doesn't have one type of access, they will just shift to a different type of access.

Accepting this fact has been key in my own personal decision to refuse to live in fear. There is a whole, rich, wondrous world out there and I don't want to spend my time cowering in one little corner to maintain an illusion of safety.

Your statement is very profound and hits home with me. Fear interferred with my life for so many years. I refuse to do that anymore. I now stand strong and refuse to allow my attackers to have control over me.

I do take precousions that everyone should take for safety, like watching my surrounding, making sure my doors are locked. Since becoming active in activism, I have learned more about other dangers that I wasn't previously aware of. These are dangers that the general public and especially minors would not be in tune with. I have vowed to not let what I have learned interfer with my everyday life.

About the time FBI entered the case, Marlene allowed that the clothing in Sierra's Juicy bag was what she was wearing on March 16. I think she finally felt free to say that due to what investigative sources had told her. Now that the lab results are in, the sheriffs will know this for a dead cert. Or they will know that these were laundered, unworn clothes.

So far, no one anywhere that I know of has solved the puzzle of the Juicy bag. We don't know why it was where it was found, in that condition (damp but not ruined) with those contents and "with the books". None the less, the reason is important to the progress of the crime as it unfolded under the control of the perpetrator. We are much closer to knowing whether Sierra was stripped of her clothes on March 16.

I attributed the photo to LE owing to the fact that every officer in that department is issued an I Phone. Also, I do not think that reporters would be given access to the home. My thoughts are that LE shot the screen, and then unplugged and took the computer with them for further investigation.

Curious, where did we get the info that they were all issued iPhones? I have been around a lot of them who were still sporting older flips. A few droids. A few iPhones. But certainly does not appear to be dept wide.

A better comparison would be to Alice Cooper. He sang all the time about murder, cannibalism & other taboos... in a joking manner that many parents of yesteryear didn't get & found absolutely horrifying.
--------
Since Alice Cooper has been mentioned. Alice Cooper became a Christian.

I have never seen such an offensive video in my life. Gag! Being a large gal, I don't think that comment was appropriate.

Is this video something Sierra watched that pertains to this case?

SL's favorite musical act appears to be Tyler the Creator who is part of Odd Future. Her Twitter account was hacked and the line "By the way we do punch *******" was posted. This lyric is from one of their songs. The lyrics were discussed a bit, and the video was posted to show how they think they are being comical in saying such things. Without knowing any of this context, the twitter posting would seem especially odd. Let's just hope they catch the hackers and set a precedent so this kind of thing doesn't happen in the future.

I have no doubt at all that LE knows pretty much when her cellphone left their property, etc.

Thanks GrainneDhu, very helpfull..... :rocker:

So then it seems as if LE is pretty sure that SL left her home right around the time of her last text at 7:11 am?

And it would also imply, that she wasn't taken somewhere else between 7:11am and where the phone was dropped (probably around 7:15ish)/?

So IF someone was in her home, it would have had to been after her mother left for work (around 6:30?) but no later than 7:11am.

So based on this, I still think she was most likely picked up at her driveway around 7:11am and taken immediately out of the area, with the phone being dropped on the way out.

I dont really have a strong feeling whether the purse was then discarded at this time, or if it was placed there at a later time.

I am also still having a hunch that she got in the car with someone that she is much more familiar with than anybody is thinking. Its possible that it was someone she met online, but I think LE would have been able to find clues of this. Im actually thinking she regularly got a ride from this person, or its someone much closer like a neighbor, friend, etc.

SL's favorite musical act seems to be Tyler the Creator who is part of Odd Future. He Twitter account was hacked and the line "By the way we do punch *******" was posted. This lyric is from one of their songs. The lyrics were discussed a bit, and the video was posted to show how they think they are being comical in saying such things.

This should be "Her" (Sierra Lamar's)

BBM

BBM: I agree with you about the cowering in fear thing. I won't do it either. But I do feel that kids today need more education than we did about the dangers that are out there. I am not saying there was no danger back in the 60s...there certainly was, and a perp hellbent on doing harm would have done it one way or the other.

I believe Sierra was targeted, but there is no evidence that she was targeted through social media. I think it is possible and worth considering, though. Sierra is a very striking girl and not only that, her name is beautiful. Now, if a creep happened upon her name and photo online, he/she might be inclined to follow to the point of obsession. That is just a thought; as I said earlier there is no evidence that anything like this happened. Sierra could just as easily have been seen locally by someone who became obsessed with her. Or, it could have been a crime of opportunity with her being selected on a whim (which IMO seems less likely).

We should be wary and teach our kids to do the same. But that does not translate into sitting at home too afraid to venture out for fear of what could happen, or refusing to allow our kids outside the house in the name of safety. Because that is no way to live!

A Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office dive team is out at Calero Reservoir today using boats equipped with sonar technology, which transmits underwater images.
If anything suspicious is discovered, a diver will enter the reservoir, sheriff's Sgt. Jose Cardoza said.
The dive team went out to the reservoir Wednesday afternoon, but windy conditions made it difficult to conduct the sonar searches.
"Today, conditions are a little bit better," Cardoza said.

snip

Plans for this weekend's search efforts will be finalized by Friday, according to family friend and search director Brian Miller.
A search was carried out Wednesday and more searches are tentatively scheduled for future Wednesdays.
Miller said volunteer numbers have dropped since the initial searches, but that the effort is still helpful.
"We have been eliminating areas," he said.
Sierra's cousin and LaMar family spokesperson Keith LaMar also noted a lower turnout, but emphasized that foot searches will continue in the coming weeks.
"We wouldn't want the case to get cold," he said.

http://www.kcra.com/r/30924800/detail.html

I had a naive Craigslist experience also. I was looking for a part time job and emailed my resume to a ad that was posting as a well known mental health facility. Like a dumb, dumb my address and phone number were listed on the resume. I began getting obscene phone calls. I was able to track down the person and investigated their past. They had a lengthy record for burglary and fraud. I did file a report at the police station but unfortunately until the person is caught doing something after the fact, filing a report is all you can do. I hope that you filed a report on your experience. Sometimes we just don't think to do those things.
Sorry to be OT!

Don't mess with someone like the people on WebSleuths!!! Good for you BeginnerLuck!!! :woohoo:

BBM: I agree with you about the cowering in fear thing. I won't do it either. But I do feel that kids today need more education than we did about the dangers that are out there. I am not saying there was no danger back in the 60s...there certainly was, and a perp hellbent on doing harm would have done it one way or the other.

I believe Sierra was targeted, but there is no evidence that she was targeted through social media. I think it is possible and worth considering, though. Sierra is a very striking girl and not only that, her name is beautiful. Now, if a creep happened upon her name and photo online, he/she might be inclined to follow to the point of obsession. That is just a thought; as I said earlier there is no evidence that anything like this happened. Sierra could just as easily have been seen locally by someone who became obsessed with her. Or, it could have been a crime of opportunity with her being selected on a whim (which IMO seems less likely).

We should be wary and teach our kids to do the same. But that does not translate into sitting at home too afraid to venture out for fear of what could happen, or refusing to allow our kids outside the house in the name of safety. Because that is no way to live!

I agree.

I keep wondering if she may have been targeted because she had been a cheerleader. By some perp who has a cheerleader fixation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8