Deceased/Not Found CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Morgan Hill, 16 March 2012 #11 *A. Garcia-Torres guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After much debate, it was "decided" that the photo (which was taken by iPhone the morning after she disappeared) was taken by a reporter, or even her mom, of the photo "Sherman" *LOL* (Sierra) herself had posted before school the day before. What was confusing us was that that the information tags on this image showed it was taken Saturday a few minutes past 10AM, until we collectively realized that this was not the ORIGINAL transmission of the photo, but a photo snapped of the computer screen by the reporter/Marlene. The first time she spoke with the press was Saturday at 10, at her home (which is why the location tag was right).

I attributed the photo to LE owing to the fact that every officer in that department is issued an I Phone. Also, I do not think that reporters would be given access to the home. My thoughts are that LE shot the screen, and then unplugged and took the computer with them for further investigation.

I keep running this through my tired old brain:

Is the bolded portion of this statement true? I thought that members of the military and LE were also in the database. Particularly military, since what is recovered in war may not be enough to identify the person by other means. And this brings us back to the comments in the earliest threads about the perp potentially being current or former military.

Maybe Marlene's BF worked close enough to take her to school if she missed the bus.:waitasec:

I thought they both worked in Fremont!

Not that it will make any difference but I just sent kion a email about "facts" being reported. If they respond back, I'll let you know.

If anybody has time I know the freind name that tweeted they talked to the person that tweeted it. PM me. If you want it. Then send it to the tip line if the LE are seious about finding the person. Or we will see if Sierra freinds are just playing around . One way or the other this kind of stuff has to stop, There is a 15 year old girl missing. I would but i am at work.

Maybe the perp had her phone??

The reason I brought this up is I dont understand how tracking a phone works based on the "pings".

But depending on how precise of a location they can detect, I can see the following being potentially possible.

1)the perp could have abducted her at her driveway.
2)Perp could have done whatever he/she/they wanted to her in the car parked their, or in her house, or one of the houses in the area.
3)Perp disables the phone's tracking device (turn off GPS, or remove battery. Again, I dont know how this works)
4)Perp leaves the area.
5)Perp then comes back to plant the purse and drop the phone.

I dont know if that all pans out, but it could have been an after thought to go back and plant evidence as misdirection. It would have been a standard plan to disable the GPS, or maybe even just turn off the phone so SL couldn't call for help. But then, maybe the perp kept SL, and/or items as trophies.

Later, perp decided to try to make it look like a runaway, or for whatever reason decided to place these items.

The only reason I am now leaning toward this is that it appears the purse was intentionally placed in its location and not thrown from a car.

I was thinking the same thing this morning. It's as if he has been kept out of the news, and I am hopeful LE has scrutinized him well. Does anyone know if he was given a polygraph test or any voice analysis under routine questioning? Sometimes a perpetrator looks very concerned when a child is missing.

I honestly do think that by not taking a better look at the immediate family (uncles, etc.) who are involved in the life of Sierra, it is a LE oversight. Why isn't there more scrutinization over him? Why is he being kept from the spotlight? Reputation? Well, history has proven that a person's reputation has zero to do with whether they commit crimes, or not.

The purse - as to questions by someone earlier, I believe I read in the news that the purse was found leaning against a building by one of the searchers, with the books adjascent, behind some bushes. They were leaning up against the building. I do also NOT think it was staged, but done to get rid of evidence, and I don't think they were thrown, but were "hidden" in that location.

The first thing LE does is investigate the family including BF and fan out from there. Believe me LE/FBI know what they are doing. I have looked at the other sleuthing sights and they seem to be focused on the family, which I find rather sad. I personally frown on revictimization of the family. Wouldn't the perp just love to know that everyone is suspecting the family, completely drawing all the attention off of the investigation. I am very happy that the moderators here at WS's have made the family off limits. I believe they have done this for reasons that they know but we don't. I have great respect for them running the forum this way. I have to put my trust in their decision and LE's also.

Also, LE never stated the books were found adjascent to the purse. This came from speculation.

The first thing LE does is investigate the family including BF and fan out from there. Believe me LE/FBI know what they are doing. ... I am very happy that the moderators here at WS's have made the family off limits. I believe they have done this for reasons that they know but we don't. I have great respect for them running the forum this way. I have to put my trust in their decision and LE's also.

Also, LE never stated the books were found adjascent to the purse. This came from speculation.

I am pretty sure it was a commentator underneath the article. I definitely don't want to put out false info. My bad.
Sierra LaMar Case: New Evidence Found on 4/4/12 (Part 2 of 2) Nancy Grace Show - YouTube is probably where I had read it. I am editing now to include this so you can read it.

LE does a good job, and so does the FBI, but many times citizens also have insights which are important imo. I have many LE friends. Very close friends. I try to always keep in mind that they are doing their jobs and are trained to do so.

By no means have I intentionally broken any forum rules by asking. My apologies.

There are some excellent points on voice analysis posted online regarding this case. They really raised some questions in my mind. I don't frequent other forums, so I honestly did not know.

I was thinking the same thing this morning. It's as if he has been kept out of the news, and I am hopeful LE has scrutinized him well. Does anyone know if he was given a polygraph test or any voice analysis under routine questioning? Sometimes a perpetrator looks very concerned when a child is missing.

I honestly do think that by not taking a better look at the immediate family (uncles, etc.) who are involved in the life of Sierra, it is a LE oversight. Why isn't there more scrutinization over him? Why is he being kept from the spotlight? Reputation? Well, history has proven that a person's reputation has zero to do with whether they commit crimes, or not.

SBM

Usually LE looks at household members and family first, then starts looking elsewhere. I haven't seen any suggestions that LE in this case seem incompetent. Plus the FBI was on the scene starting very early in the investigation and I find it difficult to believe that they would somehow overlook household/family members.

Just because something hasn't made it into the news doesn't mean it hasn't been done.

To a certain extent, I would say LE investigation of anyone is a privacy matter. If a specific individual is cooperating (which media reports have stated repeatedly is the case) and there is no evidence pointing to them as a perpetrator, then whatever LE finds out about them should remain private unless it is relevant to the investigation.

I very strongly feel that no innocent person should be forced into the media spotlight unless they choose to take on that role.

I am pretty sure when you post something from an iTouch, it does show up as an iPhone on a lot of places.

But now thinking further about this tweet...I wonder if at some point Sierra had used someone else's iTouch to post something at some time. Then yesterday that person finally wandered into a wifi area and went to post something not realizing that it was still under Sierra's profile.

I know I have pulled up facebook before and posted something only to realize that it was one of the kiddos pages because they hadn't logged out the last time and then deleting the message before logging out and into my account. Sounds like that's what happened with the tweet since it was deleted so quickly after posting.

I have the HTC Vivid. I have the capability of turning my location off or on. Android 4. That is a GPS locator-service which is user-friendly, and gives a false hope that nobody can track you.

Regardless of if the location is turned off or on, the phone leaves a track and can be tracked. That feature does not turn off internally and is predispositioned into the BIOS by the manufacturer so that when the phone is on, it can be located.

This allows towers to track where the phone was used last.

The reason I brought this up is I dont understand how tracking a phone works based on the "pings".

SBM

Cell phones ping periodically in order to locate the best tower with which to transmit/receive. This lets the cell system know which tower to route a telephone call to your cell phone, rather than having to send out the signal through every tower in the US (which would be impossible).

Most cell phones ping unless the battery is removed.

If only one cell tower detects the pings from a given phone, the records can show from which side of the tower the ping was located and a rough estimate of how far away the phone is located.

Imagine a circle that is cut into 3 wedges. A ping that reached a certain tower will be located within one of those three wedges and often will be close to centre, in the middle or on the edge of that wedge.

In most places, more than one cell tower can detect the pings. By plotting out the location data from more than one tower, the location of a given cell phone can be figured out to a pretty amazing level of accuracy (down to within 10-20 feet).

So now imagine 3 or 4 circles. If you look at the area where the circles overlap, that will be a much tinier area than a wedge cut from one single circle.

I AM NOT AN EXPERT SO I COULD BE WRONG! But when I looked at the map of cell towers for Morgan Hill, it looked to me like there may have been up to 4 towers within pinging distance.

If 2 or 3 of those towers received pings, LE would be able to track her phone quite precisely.

Does this make sense to you?

Someone asked about epson salts before we moved over.

As far as I understand, it's not the bath salts that you buy at the store, but it's a similar compound that could easily pass as them (kids bringing them home as if they're using them in the bath tub). They're also packaged as bath salts. I had to Google it because I thought kids were using actual bath salts. Wouldn't be the craziest thing people have smoked, but I would think those would just burn their noses if snorted or kill them if injected.

So yeah if your kids bring home a "bath salt" shopping spree... Lol

Sorry, just now catching up...no, they are not bath salts. http://www.drugabuse.gov/about-nida...011/02/bath-salts-emerging-dangerous-products

This is a brief summary from NIDA. I watched a really good National Geographic documentary on YouTube a couple weeks ago. (Edit: I don't want to link it because I think Natl Geographic didn't upload it. But I think it was an Episode of Drugs, inc. and the title was something like "designer drugs.")

They shouldn't be. My son is 19 and he would still be smacked if I see something like that on his Facebook. I raised a mature caring smart kid, who respects women and people. Parents should be upset to find out their kids talk like this online, unless these parents are talking like this as well. Social media is dangerous and the way Sierra was using it is a perfect example of what kids should not be doing saying or messing withbonline especially at 15!

I had to chuckle at "smacked."

I agree parents should be upset. Likely since the beginning of time generations have shocked those who came before them. The difference is that when we did things that shocked our elders, we did them locally within our group. We were by that relatively safe. Today's kids are doing this for many people far outside their local clique to see. It stands to reason that with almost unlimited exposure kids are not as safe as the would be when what they say and do is limited to their own community.

More exposure means exposure to vast numbers who would otherwise not see or hear what your kid is doing or saying. And when those numbers increase, so do the number of bad eggs...of all ages...who have access to and means for gaining info for nefarious reasons.

I am for the most part acceptable of kids having a certain amount of privacy and, within reasonable expectations of decency, being allowed to speak their jargon, etc., until it puts them in harm's way. And let's face it, social media can and does do that. We all know that even an innocent ad placed online with something like Craig's List can be a person's undoing.

But if Sierra was targeted via social media it doesn't necessarily mean it was a SO/RSO from Timbuktu. It could have been someone in her area; even someone from her school or former school. It could have started out flirty, led to a point where Sierra drew the line but the other person stepped over it. And then something happened that was never intended, but it was of course too late to turn back.

SBM

Does this make sense to you?

That was very helpful. Just a few followup questions though.

1)Does turning the cell phone off, or turning on "airplane mode" stop the pings?

2)How often do the pings go out?

3)Does anyone know if the cell phone was found based on the pings and a very accurate location? Or did they just know it was within a certain distance of where it was found?

There are a few reasons I ask these questions.

a)If it pings every 15 minutes for example, then LE would know whether the phone sat in that spot for an extended period of time

b)If an precise location wasn't obtained from the pings just a general area, then the phone could have been disabled and then later taken back to the location where it was found. (I seem to remember reading tweets from her frienda saying her phone was going straight to voicemail. This was before the phone had been found).

Lastly, I guess what I was getting at is if these pings occur in pretty short intervals, and are fairly precise, then LE should know approximately what time she left her house, how fast she was going, and when the phone arrived in the spot it was found.

If these pings aren't frequent or precise, then none of these conclusions can be made. Make sense?

Just to add perspective here, Odd Future and Tyler are not Horrorcore. Just reading the lyrics does not really convey what they are going for. They are just young kids trying to be different and funny. To gain a little understanding of their attitude, watch the video for this very song.

Tyler, The Creator - ***** S*** D*** Featuring Jasper And Taco - YouTube

Look, the lyrics are tough to defend, so I am not going to try. But I think their shtick is just that and I do not believe they are inciting others to act in this way. I see it as more of a joke and just being immature and expressing themselves with what they think is shocking or funny. SL loved them. They are the 'Nirvana' to certain groups of teens today.

A better comparison would be to Alice Cooper. He sang all the time about murder, cannibalism & other taboos... in a joking manner that many parents of yesteryear didn't get & found absolutely horrifying.

A better comparison would be to Alice Cooper. He sang all the time about murder, cannibalism & other taboos... in a joking manner that many parents of yesteryear didn't get & found absolutely horrifying.

That is a perfect example, thanks!

Just to add perspective here, Odd Future and Tyler are not Horrorcore. Just reading the lyrics does not really convey what they are going for. They are just young kids trying to be different and funny. To gain a little understanding of their attitude, watch the video for this very song.

Tyler, The Creator - ***** Suck Dick Featuring Jasper And Taco - YouTube

Look, the lyrics are tough to defend, so I am not going to try. But I think their shtick is just that and I do not believe they are inciting others to act in this way. I see it as more of a joke and just being immature and expressing themselves with what they think is shocking or funny. SL loved them. They are the 'Nirvana' to certain groups of teens today.

OMG, I am in the video wearing a black 2-piece bathing suit, and I was told this was a Weight Watchers commercial.

The words don't sound as bad because I barely understood 'em.

Ok. So the picture of Sierra in that shark sweater was taken after she was reported missing? it would have to be a picture of a picture then.. Right???

it almost certainly must be. It explains the appearance of the photo compared to her others.

Sierra LaMar's Twitter Account Was Hacked Twice

A bogus tweet was sent from Sierra LaMar’s Twitter account on Wednesday, and it wasn’t the first time the missing teen’s account was fraudulently accessed. Sierra’s account was hacked a few weeks ago by someone in the Philippines, but authorities weren’t able to pursue the source because it occurred outside their jurisdiction, Sgt. Jose Cardoza of the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office said.

http://gilroy.patch.com/articles/sierra-lamar-s-twitter-account-hacked-twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member