Deceased/Not Found CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Morgan Hill, 16 March 2012 #12 *A. Garcia-Torres guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who has worked at a newspaper... the rule is, if it's in quotes, it's a direct quote. If not, it's paraphrasing. Period. Reporters have editors who are employed to check such things. Sgt. Whoever said the search would continue Monday - paraphrase. Sgt. Whoever said, 'The search will continue Monday' - quote. Journalism is in pretty bad shape (especially at the Huffington Post; I can attest they verify very little) - but it can't be SO bad that this basic rule would be ignored.

Initially, the sheriffs were very frank & public about what Sierra was wearing when last seen. There was no holding back because there was an all out BOLO effort to find her. Only recently have reservations about the clothing seemed to influence what is said. I agree with several WS posters that this could be owing to lab results. Fairly early on, we also learned that the photo which was sent the morning of March 16 was taken at an unknown date. Therefore, we can't be sure what Sierra had on.

The cell phone went out the window right away, an act done in haste. The deposit of the bag and books does not seem to have been done frantically. To me this indicates that some aspects of the crime had already been accomplished. If the crime had been complete to the satisfaction of the abductor, I think those items would have been destroyed or placed where they were undiscoverable. Then we can speculate about the next leg of the abduction: how far and what nature of territory. IMO, the items were not brought back after the fact but instead, on the way. If it was the stroke of some mastermind, I think the hiding place would have been much cleverer and of unmistakable intent.

As someone who has worked at a newspaper... the rule is, if it's in quotes, it's a direct quote. If not, it's paraphrasing. Period. Reporters have editors who are employed to check such things. Sgt. Whoever said the search would continue Monday - paraphrase. Sgt. Whoever said, 'The search will continue Monday' - quote. Journalism is in pretty bad shape (especially at the Huffington Post; I can attest they verify very little) - but it can't be SO bad that this basic rule would be ignored.

We have seen, in some cases, where a video says one thing and the written report will have quotes around certain parts of the story that do not match what was actually said...so we are very leery about practice vs. policy, at least I am...JMO

snipped for brevity:
The cell phone went out the window right away, an act done in haste. The deposit of the bag and books does not seem to have been done frantically. To me this indicates that some aspects of the crime had already been accomplished. If the crime had been complete to the satisfaction of the abductor, I think those items would have been destroyed or placed where they were undiscoverable. Then we can speculate about the next leg of the abduction: how far and what nature of territory. IMO, the items were not brought back after the fact but instead, on the way. If it was the stroke of some mastermind, I think the hiding place would have been much cleverer and of unmistakable intent.
If one thing stands out in the case, to me it's the placement of the Juicy bag and the neatly folded clothes inside it.
Your thoughts about this, Tuba, are interesting and I agree.

I am TERRIBLE about swearing in real life. TERRIBLE.

I'm amazed that it doesn't leak into my writing but I apparently have a few remnants of professional instincts left operating.

BB
That sounds like you are actually very GOOD at it because you have had lots of practice!:floorlaugh:

I absolutely agree with you 100% on this...this is exactly what I believe to be true as well.

I can't get the cabin out of my mind.
Could there have been a snowboarder, or anyone, that saw Sierra, became interested, then followedher?
Took her, then brought her back to his/her cabin?
This sounds way out there... but we don't have a whole lot to work with right now.
And this may be a scenario where she is still alive?

this is from 2009, but I found it very interesting, since no one knows where Sierra is
http://jvanek.wordpress.com/2009/08/14/first-ht-conviction-in-santa-clara-county/

Wow!
The girls knew one of the initial contacts.
:banghead::maddening::banghead:

The creeps use two girls..one is forced into acts with the threat of death of the other girl!

This event in this article started in Tahoe..traveled to Santa Clara County.

Trafficking could go just the other way... from Santa Clara County to Tahoe.

A CABIN in Tahoe?

Yes, if it were a direct quote, the use of the word 'would' is incorrect. If a paraphrase of a quote, yes... but no one is going to say "the search would continue Mon." They would say it will continue Mon. Simple grammar.

Is the Huffington Post an actual newspaper that is printed as well as being online? Or is it strictly an online blog? If the latter, then I am not sure that some of the people writing for these blogs have even been to college, much less studied journalism.

That's interesting that Sierra's NAMUS entry has been changed. What new information would inform the change and what would be the reason to change it? I assume it'd be changed only if it was misleading for some reason. Maybe there was no evidence the clothes were worn?

Yes, if it were a direct quote, the use of the word 'would' is incorrect. If a paraphrase of a quote, yes... but no one is going to say "the search would continue Mon." They would say it will continue Mon. Simple grammar.

Is the Huffington Post an actual newspaper that is printed as well as being online? Or is it strictly an online blog? If the latter, then I am not sure that some of the people writing for these blogs have even been to college, much less studied journalism.

HP is a collection of bloggers...mostly unpaid...
JMO

How do we know this?

The last person she tweeted was a guy. That was the 6:36 am tweet. I assumed it was sent to him?
The next communication was a text at 7:11 am to the student she was going to meet.

Wow!
The girls knew one of the initial contacts.

The creeps use two girls..one is forced into acts with the threat of death of the other girl!

This event in this article started in Tahoe..traveled to Santa Clara County.

Trafficking could go just the other way... from Santa Clara County to Tahoe.

A CABIN in Tahoe?

Has anyone heard anything about the other girl who went missing from a MH group home at about the same time as Sierra (one day later maybe)? I remember reading about her but haven't seen any followup. Just a thought. I feel bad that I can't remember her name ...

That's interesting that Sierra's NAMUS entry has been changed. What new information would inform the change and what would be the reason to change it? I assume it'd be changed only if it was misleading for some reason. Maybe there was no evidence the clothes were worn?

I am thinking that the picture we have seen: the one she is wearing a black sweatshirt with the shark, is not the one she sent that day.

All notifications at the beginning of the case were that she was wearing a gray sweatshirt. I found this pic sent to a guy friend of hers, and am wondering if it may have been the one she sent.

This is just hypothesis cause there's no way to prove this unless we have access to her computer and phone records. But LE did distribute another pic snapped by her computer with this same outfit. I am wondering if this is the real pic she sent that day. It is the second pic attached.

Attachments

• AoN524rCMAA4L7W.jpg
    AoN524rCMAA4L7W.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Sierra-Lamar-009_540x405.jpg
    Sierra-Lamar-009_540x405.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 39
Has anyone heard anything about the other girl who went missing from a MH group home at about the same time as Sierra (one day later maybe)? I remember reading about her but haven't seen any followup. Just a thought. I feel bad that I can't remember her name ...

Good memory, actually. We should look that up!
There might be a connection to Sierra's case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow