GUILTY CA - Tori Vienneau, 22, & Dean Springstube, 10 mos, murdered, Bonita, 26 July 2006 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Isnt Max a lucky one. I wont revisit the verdicts-I am thrilled that the families will no longer face the spectors of these trials.

Evaluation ordered for man who lied about murder case
By Dana Littlefield, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 2:41 p.m.

A Bonita man convicted of conspiracy to obstruct justice for lying to authorities during a police investigation into the slayings of a young mother and her infant son will undergo an evaluation in prison to help a judge determine an appropriate sentence.

San Diego Superior Court Judge Bernard Revak ordered Maxwell Corn, 25, to be taken into custody on Jan. 4. He will be brought back to court in San Diego by April 6 for sentencing.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/dec/17/evaluation-ordered-for-man-who-lied-about-murder/

From the above linked article.
Deputy District Attorney Per Hellstrom argued Thursday that Corn deserved the maximum sentence of three years in prison for lying repeatedly to police, and later to a grand jury, about Potts’ whereabouts that night.
“Words ... were Mr. Corn’s weapon,” Hellstrom said, adding that Corn knew or had a strong suspicion early on during the investigation that his friend was responsible for the killings.
“Where was Mr. Corn’s moral outrage for what his friend had done?” Hellstrom asked.

I tend to agree with this. Especially since it is pretty obvious what Mr. Corns actions were prior to his getting arrested. Would Mr. Corns actions have been any different if he hadn't gotten arrested? They weren't for the approximate 18 months between the murders and his arrest.

I think Mr. Corns choices, which only reflected change after he was arrested speak for themself.

Evaluation ordered for man who lied about murder case
By Dana Littlefield, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 2:41 p.m.

A Bonita man convicted of conspiracy to obstruct justice for lying to authorities during a police investigation into the slayings of a young mother and her infant son will undergo an evaluation in prison to help a judge determine an appropriate sentence.

San Diego Superior Court Judge Bernard Revak ordered Maxwell Corn, 25, to be taken into custody on Jan. 4. He will be brought back to court in San Diego by April 6 for sentencing.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/dec/17/evaluation-ordered-for-man-who-lied-about-murder/

:seeya: Pick me judge, pick me to help you out with a sentence. Can we find a way to get a moral compass installed before he gets out?

I recieved an email from Dayna, Maxwell Corn will be spending his evaluation time at the prison in Chino CA, not in San Diego! :D

Judge sentences man in murder coverup

A man who lied to police about the whereabouts of a friend, who was ultimately convicted of strangling a woman and her 10-month-old son to avoid paying child support, was sentenced Friday to probation and a year in jail.

Maxwell Corn, 26, was convicted in October of conspiracy to obstruct justice in the case of his friend Dennis Potts, who was convicted in a separate trial of murdering Tori Vienneau and her son, Dean Springstube.
In December, Judge Bernard Revak sent Corn to prison for a 90-day psychological study to determine if he was suitable for probation or should be sentenced to prison.
The judge today sentenced the defendant to three years probation and a year in jail, and also suspended a three-year prison sentence should Corn fail on probation.

<snip>

Deputy District Attorney Per Hellstrom argued unsuccessfully that Corn should be sent to prison.
&#8220;All of us feel outrage at the crime &#8212; all of us except Mr. Corn,&#8221; the prosecutor said.
Defense attorney Allen Bloom said Corn feels &#8220;enormous remorse&#8221; for the victims and their family but doesn&#8217;t feel responsible for the murders.

Full article at link:

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-0.../courts/judge-sentences-man-in-murder-coverup

Ugh. I think Maxwell received too short a sentence. It kind of makes me ill someone could lie to police, provide an alibi for a murderer, hinder an investigation and not be sentenced to prison. It's outrageous Mr. Corn feels zero responsiblity for not only lying to LE and providing Dennis Pott's an alibi, but also helping Dennis fake a paternity test by providing his own DNA to help his friend avoid his legal responsibilities to the child he fathered and the mother of his child, both of whom he later murdered.

Ugh. I hope karma follows Maxwell Corn the rest of his days. I don't believe his maker will be as lenient when it comes to Maxwell facing his maker when he finally faces true judgement.

JMO

Judge sentences man in murder coverup

A man who lied to police about the whereabouts of a friend, who was ultimately convicted of strangling a woman and her 10-month-old son to avoid paying child support, was sentenced Friday to probation and a year in jail.

Maxwell Corn, 26, was convicted in October of conspiracy to obstruct justice in the case of his friend Dennis Potts, who was convicted in a separate trial of murdering Tori Vienneau and her son, Dean Springstube.
In December, Judge Bernard Revak sent Corn to prison for a 90-day psychological study to determine if he was suitable for probation or should be sentenced to prison.
The judge today sentenced the defendant to three years probation and a year in jail, and also suspended a three-year prison sentence should Corn fail on probation.

<snip>

SNIPPED FOR SIZE

Thanks for the update Cubby- I am sooo angry at what a lenient sentence Mr Corn recvd. I assume since we are in CA, the 3 months plus whatever county time he did when first arrested will count as time served? UGHHH! :banghead::banghead:

Although I am incensed at the amount of time he finally got, I should be greatfull that the justice system worked and Mr Potts will be gone for awhile. Hopefully he is NOT on a protected yard for baby killers, but hearing about what a coward he is regarding even DNA, let alone the MURDERS, I'm sure he is.

Prisoners dont take too kindly to his kind. AT ALL~~~:croc:

This case had touched my heart from day one- Y'all did a great job covering it and thanks to her family for helping us out also- God Bless~~:angel::angel:

The 90 days was his evaluation time. He got a year, so I am going to guess that means he does 6 months and is on probation for 3 years. I agree it is a terribly leniant sentence. However I too am glad Potts is put away and will never breathe free air again. I too hope he is in the GP thinking hard every second of every day if it really was worth killing his son and his sons mother over. the !

It seemed like such a long wait... Thank you for the compliment, but it was all of us who contributed to sharing and Dayna's courage to continue the fight to the end. She is an amazing woman and I wish her some kind of peace while she is here until she is reunited with her daughter and grandson some day.

This case was on Dateline tonight and I can't believe I have never heard about it at all; why the murder of a young woman and her baby would not be a bigger story is beyond me.

Thankful that Dennis Potts is so freaking stupid...text messages that night even though he said he had no plans with Tori. A text asking if she would be alone and that he had a surprise for her. Sending in switched DNA twice for the paternity test. Internet searches on his computer on committing murder, one month before they were killed. Also on court-ordered paternity and how to cheat them. Also getting away with murder. And getting out of child support. And how to perform a choke hold. This rich kid gets the top prize for stupid, as far as I am concerned.

In this case, the defense attorney makes me sick too; this was not only a young mother but a little 10-month old baby that he strangled. And with all of the evidence, I don't believe for a second that his lawyer didn't know he was guilty.

What a disgusting excuse for a man, just to avoid child support and the fact that he was planning to get married and she was an embarrassment to him.

He should get the death penalty, no question asked, no appeals, the evidence is overwhelming to me. I am disgusted both for the lack of media attention for this woman and baby, and for this piece of crap.

The threads may have been archived-I think about tigress all of the time...I dont know how you obtain peace after an earthquake like this one, but I am humbled by her grace.

What a horrible case! I had never heard of it either until Dateline last night. Then I came here and read the previous threads. I agree, this case should have been more in the public eye so more people would know how despicable this cime was.

I just loved it at the end of Dateline last night, when tigress was speaking before the judge and said she had one request; that a photo of Tori and Dean in their casket be placed in Dennis Potts' cell. The judge excused himself for a few minutes and then came back. Tori's mom said you could tell he had been crying. He looked at her and said "so ordered." That was just very emotional. I hope that photo is hanging in his cell so he has to look at it every day for the rest of his miserable life.

Like many of you I had not heard of this case before, truly horrific

I hadn't heard about it either. I was so impressed with how this mom and grandmother was able to go on with life with some amount of peace. I am in awe of her. What was so sad to me was in the beginning, when they showed the photos of Dean and her in the pool, how she talked about Tori and Dean and how perfect her life was. I admire her strength in staying sober while going through such heartbreaking tragedy. This story makes me so sad.

SNIPPED FOR SIZE

Thanks for the update Cubby- I am sooo angry at what a lenient sentence Mr Corn recvd. I assume since we are in CA, the 3 months plus whatever county time he did when first arrested will count as time served? UGHHH! :banghead::banghead:

Although I am incensed at the amount of time he finally got, I should be greatfull that the justice system worked and Mr Potts will be gone for awhile. Hopefully he is NOT on a protected yard for baby killers, but hearing about what a coward he is regarding even DNA, let alone the MURDERS, I'm sure he is.

Prisoners dont take too kindly to his kind. AT ALL~~~:croc:

This case had touched my heart from day one- Y'all did a great job covering it and thanks to her family for helping us out also- God Bless~~:angel::angel:

Just an update, Max is already out of jail. He never even had to go to a state prison. There have been rumors that he was back in jail for probation violations but I haven't seen him on the "Who's in jail" page, so I don't believe that to be true.

A lot of people in Bonita have completely moved on and it is very sad. I saw that some of my friends and family members had added them on facebook, safe to say that I no longer consider them my friends or family.

Tori and Dean's story was on "Stolen Voices, Buried Secrets" last night.
They haven't been forgotten and are still being talked about.

Lethal Liasion
Premiering December 12th 10pm

22-year-old Tori Vienneau was a young mother to baby Dean and the best daughter any parent could ask for.
When their bodies are found strangled in Tori's apartment, her friends and family are in complete shock.
The horrible nature of this crime makes investigators and the community wonder &#8212; what animal would kill a mom and her baby?

Right now the clip is on the main page, it'll move down in a few days.

http://investigation.discovery.com/tv/stolen-voices-buried-secrets/

I recorded the "Stolen Voices, Buried Secrets" episode on the Investigation Discovery channel. My heart still breaks for Tori and her beautiful baby Dean! I still have the voice mail I received from one of the San Diego detectives on my cell phone after I emailed and complained that the case was moving too slow. I will never forget Tori or Dean's smile, even though I only saw them in pictures. I will never forget how hard Dayna fought to see justice. Apparently, the picture of Tori and Dean in their coffin is still hanging in DP's jail cell. That is a good thing. RIP Tori and Dean.... you are definitely not forgotten, and you never will be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back