Cadaver Dogs Hits and Info

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, certainly the searchers deserve commendation. But, you gotta feel good about EVERYBODY who is concerned. Even just we computer jockeys who are sharing information, and sending good wishes. It's just heartening that so many people care so much. And, one can see from these forums how much people care and worry about other missing children, or other crime vicitms.

Brini, just came back from NG thread. So they are saying it was an animal? Do you think it is true or was that news report just for damage control? I guess what I'm asking, is do you think LE is not being truthful with the media--for obvious reasons. Have you heard anything from B or G?

I don't know anything about the "Body Hunters" or their cadaver dogs. It could be poor training/handling. However, mistakes happen to all of us...dogs included. There even could have been human remains there before. I know in one case, a man tried to throw the dogs off by burying raw meat...the dogs hit, but on the body way underneath it! Apparently, the guy was thinking the dogs would be called off once the meat was discovered...wrong! Anyhow, who knows for certain...

lol i was just wondering if that would work

This is RIDICULOUS.

Animal BONES?

Ugh.

I also heard of a case where the dogs hit near a creek...downstream from a cemetery. The dogs were right...just wasn't the body they were searching for.

ETA: By "the dogs", I don't mean the ones used today. I know nothing at all about them.

IIRC the reward is for the "safe return" of Caylee. I would assume that if she is found dead there would be no reward. Anyway, that's how I read it.

JayBee

I think there is also a time limit on the reward. Don't remember how long.

I also heard of a case where the dogs hit near a creek...downstream from a cemetery. The dogs were right...just wasn't the body they were searching for.

The cops also dug up a dead dog wrapped in a baby blanket.

:waitasec:
From the link posted earlier.... paragraph 4:

Investigators told Eyewitness News after checking out the scene, they had determined the bones belonged to some sort of animal.

I appreciate the BH and TES and every other group of searchers out there right now and am very thankful for them. The comments about the 'fame' is kind of annoying seeing as how if you do a little research on the team you'd see they are doing everything they can to stay out of the media and just want what we all want... for Caylee to be brought 'home'. They are acting as any of the search teams are, on tips and research, not from 'pychic direction' so its probably best to try to keep that equation out of it for now. From what I understand the conditions down there are pretty bad as far as weather, insects, dangerous animals, etc and they are all going through alot mentally and physically in order to find this poor baby. So, anyways, lets just be thankful they are doing this and keep praying shes found soon.

As for the cadaver dogs hitting on something today, I am thinking we prob wont know anything right away, especially if it was human remains because there would be so much to go through to rule out and identify, Im sure they want to be very careful to find facts before releasing anything about this. Im also wondering if LE does find her body and does confirm its her, would they even let the public know right away? Would that in anyway be an alert to her lawyers to start scrambling for a defense and a story? It may be better if they did keep in to themselves at first if it would help stick charges to Casey. I want Caylee to be found sooo badly, but I also dont want anything to happen that could cause Casey to get off or give her anything to come up with that could help her walk free if she is indeed responsible for this child's death.

Excellent points!

badly trained handlers or animals?

Who knows? Maybe. Fact is dogs get real interested in anything that stinks. Our black lab "hit" on something on our walk yesterday in the woods on a bike trail. We got close and man it smelled horrible! Hanging from a tree was a plastic bag, I'm guessing someone just threw it and it got stuck there. My husband checked it out and it was fish heads, yuk!! But our first thoughts, I'm sure because of this case, were "could it be a dead baby or something"? But our dog was way too interested in it and we had to put his leash back on and yank him away from it.

BUT, another fact, well trained LE dogs know the difference between the smells. They know to hit on a human smell, not anything else. When they are working, they are working and nothing else distracts them. So perhaps the BH dogs aren't as well trained. Or not as disciplined. Doesn't matter really, at least they are out there looking and trying.

I'm confused... If these were real cadaver dogs why would they hit on an animal????

It depends on how well the dogs were trained, and who trained them. The trainer of LE's dogs was on Greta awile back and definitively said that LE's dogs were specifically trained to hit on Human Decomposition.

Whereas some dogs, expecially those trained by and used by non LE private individuals may only be trained on mamalian decomposition, as the aquisition and use of actual human corpses to train the dogs on tends to be somewhat frowned apon.

I suspect that the psychics dogs are of the later type. These are the ones that will find a dead rabbit or racoon in the woods.

Brini, just came back from NG thread. So they are saying it was an animal? Do you think it is true or was that news report just for damage control? I guess what I'm asking, is do you think LE is not being truthful with the media--for obvious reasons. Have you heard anything from B or G?

Not a word. Or, from anybody else, down there, who would have a clue.

It's hard to say, because one can't be sure whether the cops would let the media know, in any case. They just reminded us, the other night, that they are keeping a lot of their forensic evidence unannounced.

So, it either: 1) WAS animal bones, 2) the bones were human, and for reasons of legality or procedure or whatever, the cops decided to say otherwise. If #2, it was either Caylee, or some other homicide victim, or even somebody who just died out there.

This case is SO weird, I'm not sure that we'll know anything, until the trial. If then! There could STILL be a plea deal, for some reason, and we might never hear the whole story.

There is also a debate in the dog training community regarding training cadaver dogs on synthetic smells vs. actual. This is a very complicate training.

It depends on how well the dogs were trained, and who trained them. The trainer of LE's dogs was on Greta awile back and definitively said that LE's dogs were specifically trained to hit on Human Decomposition.

Whereas some dogs, expecially those trained by and used by non LE private individuals may only be trained on mamalian decomposition, as the aquisition and use of actual human corpses to train the dogs on tends to be somewhat frowned apon.

I suspect that the psychics dogs are of the later type. These are the ones that will find a dead rabbit or racoon in the woods.

Yeah. One wonders why they didn't get a LOT of hits, then? Lotsa dead animals in those woods.

I'm really learning a lot from you folks about cadaver dogs. Really appreciate it! Fascinating!

Yeah, we ARE all pretty strung out, from all the ongoing tension.

But, it looks, to me, like there are a few teams out there. The only one who has got ANY publicity is Equusearch, and they were invited, and came all the way from TX. No team is compensated. The cops gave Equusearch $5,000, but Tim said that the search has cost them $28K, so far. All these people seem to be coming from the right place, because so far, no one has gained anything--either money or glory. Some teams have been searching since day one.

It sounds like the teams know to touch nothing and call the cops when they find something, and let the cops take over from there.

If anyone is wasting LE resources, it might be the 3,000 people who have called in with "sightings." And, I'm pretty sure most of them are coming from good intentions, too.

I just think it may be a tad misguided to make any assumptions, at all, about the motivations of anyone who is willing to slog through the central FL wetlands in high summer for days on end.

The ONLY ones who will get "publicity," if that's what they want, will be the actual finders. Everybody else will and should get our profoundest gratitude.
I do agree wholeheartedly with you and I think pretty much everyone else does too. Again, I think the issue is whether the tip about a possible cadaver dog hit was credible or not, not whether any search team is worthy of our gratitude. They all are as long as they follow the parameters set by LE!

One more thing I have to say. I have worked with rescue and unless it is really different in the south, any human remains would be treated with respect. They would be removed in a full or partial body bag after spending a great deal of time gently removing them to preserve any evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paintedhousecat