Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had to reflect on this murder, it wouldn't be "did they find his DNA on the wall, or headboard", it could be what pushed him over the edge?

This is what I just can't get my head wrapped around ... no one, no one has come forward with any information about DG. He lived in the same home from 1973 with the exception of the time he spent on the lam. He went to school in the area. Normally you get one of several types of quotes from people .... "He was always a little strange," ... "He's a great guy, I just can't believe it," .... "I saw him kick dogs when he was a teenager ....." Yet in this case NOTHING. There are a lot of long time residents in the Airdrie area, are you telling me no one remembers anything about DG? WTH?????? This is so strange .... complete silence .... and DGs parents, I understand that this must be exceedingly difficult for them but where are they ... why haven't they issued any kind of statement whether it be support for either side or please respect our privacy while we try to make sense of all of this. This has to be one of the strangest cases I've ever encountered.

That was someone giving misinformation again! AL hadn't seen DG for about 4 years but his son common law husband of PG, DG's sister saw him last thanksgiving.

So is the theory that the victim, Alvin Likes, hadn't seen the murder suspect since ... what .. .thanksgiving? 2013?

When all hell broke loose at thanksgiving, did his sister understand the bigger picture?

Do you mean the thing you came across earlier that supports why you feel there was an accomplice? Or is this something new?

There was no accomplice in the murder of Nathan O'Brien. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time ... and

The person that did this probably had no understanding of second place.

You make a lot of negative assumptions about them.

I'd like to see some proof KL even went bankrupt. I'm not convinced it hasn't been misreported. (ETA: proof provided)

It would be hard to find an entrepreneur in AL's field, who hadn't been involved in lawsuits.

There is no proof he did anything incorrect with regard to DG and the patent.

ETA: I find her bankruptcy strange, but it may be irrelevant.

You are correct about the patent - there is no proof that anything improper happened. We also don't know if this was the main source of the conflict between DG and AL.

Not sure that your comment about other entrepreneurs in AL's business is fair, unless you have some specific statistics? I personally know quite a few people in this line of work who have never been named in lawsuits...I'm only speaking from my own experience of course.

This is what I just can't get my head wrapped around ... no one, no one has come forward with any information about DG. He lived in the same home from 1973 with the exception of the time he spent on the lam. He went to school in the area. Normally you get one of several types of quotes from people .... "He was always a little strange," ... "He's a great guy, I just can't believe it," .... "I saw him kick dogs when he was a teenager ....." Yet in this case NOTHING. There are a lot of long time residents in the Airdrie area, are you telling me no one remembers anything about DG? WTH?????? This is so strange .... complete silence .... and DGs parents, I understand that this must be exceedingly difficult for them but where are they ... why haven't they issued any kind of statement whether it be support for either side or please respect our privacy while we try to make sense of all of this. This has to be one of the strangest cases I've ever encountered.

A request was put out by the Calgary police department for information about the a green truck. There is no silence ... it is instead an announcement. The announcement tells stories in photos ... it seems so straight forward. Privacy? ... strangest cases? ...

Who is in the deer headlights?

Garland, in the headlights ... what should people think?
It's weird in such a large city, but if one ignores the ...

<rsbm>

Agree casesensitive ... like a child where their perception is their reality.

Just a reminder to consider the source of the word "petty". I don't think we'll know for sure who did whom wrong until there is official testimony and evidence presented.

Just a reminder to consider the source of the word "petty". I don't think we'll know for sure who did whom wrong until there is official testimony and evidence presented.

It's clear that the murder victim's family stated that it was "petty" that the suspect had a patent claim.

It's bizarre that the murder victim's family has conceded that the suspect "altered" the patent that Alvin Liknes registered with the patent office under his own name ... that's enough to piss anyone off.

I think LE must have known about DG before releasing the surveilance video of his truck.

Jeff Liknes talked about DG's truck being a piece of crap etc.

There is no way, IMO, that the family did not identify that truck as Garlands.

I think LE had him under surveillance in hopes that the family was alive, that he was keeping them.

There is no way Jeff Liknes or Patti Garland would not have identified that truck before it went public.

I think LE wanted witnesses to the truck and I also think they wanted to see what Garland would do after the video of his truck was released.

JMO

Had they known, however, I would suspect LE would have been searching the property long before they received the tip where the truck was. If they were operating on the assumption everyone was still alive, they would almost be obligated to get a warrant and search the property for the victims.

At the time, LE didn't know who all could be involved. Asking family members about it before releasing it to the public could have potentially been tipping off a perp. I could understand if they were selective with whom they shared the photo.

From the way the children refer to KL and AL, KL is not the biological mother to AL. I am not sure of the other children and the biological parents. Does anyone know when they were married? Is it possible that they were not married when AL declared bankruptcy in 1994? Also, there is a time frame allowed between bankruptcy to credit to bankruptcy. There is 18 years between the couple and their claims.

http://www.bankruptcy-alberta.com/bankruptcyFAQ.htm

So is the theory that the victim, Alvin Likes, hadn't seen the murder suspect since ... what .. .thanksgiving? 2013?

When all hell broke loose at thanksgiving, did his sister understand the bigger picture?

Was there a fight at Thanksgiving 2013?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was there a fight at Thanksgiving 2013?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None that we know of. Allen said DG didn't talk to him much. Wish I could find the article..... It's not the OBE I posted before those are the guys who got it wrong.

Alvin hadn't seen him for 4 years Allen saw him at thanksgiving
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...-douglas-garland-murdered-parents-and-nephew/
Hope that's the right link.... Battery dying :(

Douglas and Alvin saw each other at thanksgiving at Douglas Garland's parent's home. Was that in 2010?

The patent mentioned in 2011 reportedly did not work, along with $800,000 of bad business that Alvin dragged out until 2014 ...
Patents registered by Alvin Liknes after consulting with Garland ... what year, and how are they different from all the patents he registered before?

From the drawings, it looks like a total re-design. Was that idea tested, like all of Alvin's earlier ideas ... or was this put on the shelf ... and Alvin Liknes Patent ... again ... that may or may or may not work ... but better include all names of persons that made alterations to the desing.

I'm not sure how I was unclear or what you are getting at with the reminder. We don't know the details, but IF it is as it has been projected to be and was petty in everyone else's mind but not in DG's, I'm saying his perception is his reality.

I'm not sure how I was unclear or what you are getting at with the reminder. We don't know the details, but IF it is as it has been projected to be and was petty in everyone else's mind but not in DG's, I'm saying his perception is his reality.

The family has suggested that it is "petty" to have a name omitted on a patent. I disagree. The Liknes family has also said that Garland "altered" the patent of Alvin Liknes. Altering the patent means being listed as a co-inventor, but apparently that is not how Alvin Liknes saw it.

[modsnip]

Will we ever know anything more about evidence and personal relationships in this case besides what has been presented already? If the court issues a publication ban will the family ever know? Will they be allowed in the court room at all times? I am curious how this works and how much else we will learn.

From the way the children refer to KL and AL, KL is not the biological mother to AL. I am not sure of the other children and the biological parents. Does anyone know when they were married? Is it possible that they were not married when AL declared bankruptcy in 1994? Also, there is a time frame allowed between bankruptcy to credit to bankruptcy. There is 18 years between the couple and their claims.

http://www.bankruptcy-alberta.com/bankruptcyFAQ.htm

Kathryn's brother said that AL and KL were married for 25 years, so approx. 1989.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhojensenbeach