Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Altered is a reporter's wording though ... of a family member who also may have been second hand information. He may not have actually altered it ... maybe he merely gave some input. Sadly we can't say for sure at this point.
Agreed Buttercup. The reporter could just as easily have chosen the word enhanced or the word modified. The interesting thing is that regardless of the "petty" dispute and in spite if the modification, the pump was a failure! That leaves me scratching my head.

BY REID SOUTHWICK, CALGARY HERALD JULY 5, 2014

A violent struggle occurred inside a Parkhill home before five-year-old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents went missing from the residence six days ago, but there is no evidence of forced entry, police say.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/story.html?id=10001057

Yup. That's Reid south wick putting his own spin on things. LE never used the word struggle. We know that for certain. As per links provided, they said violent incident.

Maybe other DNA that wasn't his or the three victims.....
It's rare that someone goes from non-violent crimes to a triple homicide overnight. I suspect there is more to his criminal history than we are aware of at this point.

From the article:

Global News has learned that investigators are now seeing if he has links to any other violent crimes, which experts say is common in cases like this.

“If you have unsolved crimes and you have no idea who might have done them, then you have an individual who you suspect is capable of doing a range of very violent actions, then it makes sense,” says forensic psychologist Dr. Perry Sirota. “There might be a fit between what this person is suspected of doing, because of course it’s alleged now and it might fit with a pattern of crimes that remain unsolved.”

One of the cases being looked at is the death of Helena Mihaljevic. The 32-year-old was found dead in a rural area near Airdrie in 2007, nearly a year after she went missing.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1472714/...s-garland-has-links-to-other-violent-crimes/

Regarding the patent, where the family has stated that the dispute was "petty" and about "recognition", I have to wonder why Mr Liknes didn't simply give Garland that recognition.

I think we'd have to know what DG's contribution actually was, what the contract between AL and DG specified, how much and what kind of direction AL gave DG as his employer. I haven't yet found a patent in DG's name yet--have you come across anything?

It's rare that someone goes from non-violent crimes to a triple homicide overnight. I suspect there is more to his criminal history than we are aware of at this point.

I would also find it odd that one's first foray into violent crime would involve a child. This is starting to feel like a Criminal Minds episode ... loner, lives with parents .... committing violent crimes under their noses without their knowledge ... I know, I watch too much tv.

For those who know more about these things, I would assume it's standard practice to try to rule out a suspect's involvement in other crimes but I don't recall it usually making the news .... am I correct about this?

In our situation immediate family was brought to the scene...it was our responsibility to clean it up but police also wanted insight on where stuff may be hidden and it also provided us closure. There was brain matter and lots of blood and well it was not something we wanted to necessarily see...it stopped us from wondering. We had to clean the investigation up as well...finger printing powder ect. It was awful but at the same time it allowed us to grieve the facts as opposed to trying to come to terms with things and allowing our minds to run wild. It also put us on the same page as LE so that we understood the direction the investigation was going, and why. I am not sure that it is "standard" per say....I can only add based on experience.
I remember leaving the scene and not crying...I was numb...dumb founded by what I had seen and totally traumatized. I believe in my heart that JO was brough there yes to explain what may be missing but also so that she understood how and why they suspect murder. As a mother I would need to see it. I would need to know...as a daughter I would need to see it and need to know so that I could grieve. Well the information was not released to public at that point that it was a murder scene...I truly belive that the family knew this early on. And JO remaining composed was because of shock, trauma and numbness. After we left the scene of the tragedy we experienced it took me getting home, walking through my door and seeing my own clean house and how totally out of sorts the scene had been...then I vomited profusely for two hours and shock turned to greif and trauma and total pain. Everytime I looked at a white wall I seen blood and brain matter and finger print dust. however leading up to seeing the scene. ..all we could do was imagine the horror. And well what we seen was awful, scaring and horrific it was not nearly as bad as our minds had envisioned. It still haunts me though. I want to hug JO...my loss was not nearly the same magnitude with what she is experiencing and it nearly wrecked me. I cannot fathom her state right now.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have no words. I feel that your explanation is very in sync to this tragedy. It is so heart breaking to understand. I cannot imagine the loss.

From the article:

"One of the cases being looked at is the death of Helena Mihaljevic. The 32-year-old was found dead in a rural area near Airdrie in 2007, nearly a year after she went missing." Gosh :(

This is awful! I also had wondered about another lady AH who was found in May 2014. I had posted this in an earlier thread. From the conclusion it was not a murder but a possible suicide. Her body was found ina rural area between Nordegg and Rocky Mtn. House. She was in her 30's as well.

I wonder how deep this pond is. Would the bottom be so mucky that a person could end up "stuck" and it take time for them to become 'un-stuck' and float to the surface? Seems odd it took so long for his body to be found there, if in that pond all along.

I think it takes time for the body gases to build up and that causes the body to float.

LoisLane, respectfully I recall that particular day and the photo you speak. It has actually been in my thoughts since then because to me it showed the opposite of what you saw. If you look at the photo I see devastation and physical illness. Following her out of the home was her step brother or brother (not sure of which). I don't believe according to the photos available from MSM that JO's husband went into the home with LE on that occasion. I don't think it would have been for closure but rather for investigative reasons that JO and AL's son went into the home that day with LE.
View attachment 55544

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/07/04/violent-incident-happened-at-home-where-missing-5-year-old-and-grandparents-were-last-seen-police-say/
Clearer photo of JO in this link that truly says it all imo. Very heartbreaking.

My post was not meant to disrespect JO and her reactions. It was wishful thinking. As TouchTherapy conveyed in her experience it was clear how JO was feeling and I agree. I was just hoping that her composure meant that it was not a murder scene. Myself, I have not come to terms with this as a murder and have held out that NO could still be alive. As the days go on it is taking away my hope. I can not imagine the pain this family is enduring.

Thanks. I remember that photo as well and I see what you see. Nathan's mom looks disturbed as a result of viewing the home interior.

She definetly looked upset, not disputing that whatsoever, her parents and son are missing. I was questioning the protocol and also hoping that JO was keeping it together for the reason that murder was not confirmed or obvious at this point.

I think it takes time for the body gases to build up and that causes the body to float.

3 weeks still seems like an unusually long time, IMO. From all I've read and all reputable info out there re: length of time it takes for drowning victim to resurface/float, the time it takes is impacted by temperature of the water, how deep the water, how much sunlight that body of water receives, etc.

This pond, I'm doubtful is all that deep. These ponds around Stoney are generally not natural ponds, they're more man-made the result of depressions in the earth due to construction (eg: previous construction of Stoney Trail). The temps for the past 2 weeks have been exceptionally warm. This pond would receive direct sunlight as it's not at all obstructed by trees or overhead structures. And as it's a pond and not a body of water that has a current, combine all these things and I still think it's odd that it took 3 weeks for his body to surface. Add to that, you wouldn't expect there to be any objects in the pond that a body could get snagged on (tree roots, large rocks, logs, etc).

http://www.operationtakemehome.org/sar/Fire and Rescue Personnel/Biology of drowning.pdf

Police Investigate whether Garland has links to other violent crimes.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1472714/p...as-garland-has-links-to-other-violent-crimes/

My first thought the day they began the search at the DG acrage, and other posters have commented as well, was that DG could be linked to many other un-solved crimes in the Edmonton/Calgary corridor...

The way police searched, and kept searching, leads me to believe they found some extremely disturbing evidence... Just the charges alone, w/o HR, speaks volumes to the level of plotting that went into this. I'm assuming that police have a belief that DG pulled this off well enough that it must have NOT been the first time :(....

I have to admit I have experienced an unease in day to day life since this crime... As I go through my daily actions I find myself thinking of what my strategy would be if all if a sudden an intruder was in my home... Life is fleeting... Hug those most precious to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member