Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked for a link earlier re blood spatter. Do we know there was a blood spatter analyst at the scene as someone stated? I can't find anything published in that regard......

I think it was someone on here who said there was a Blood Spatter Analyst at the Likness home. I don't think it was a published article.

Is it possible someone coming through the house during the estate sale could have unlocked a window? I make sure my front, back, and garage doors are locked before going to bed, but I don't check to make sure all the windows are locked.

The suspect apparently committed the murders by himself, so if something was deliberately unlocked during the estate sale, the suspect had to attend the estate sale. If he did attend the sale, you're probably right ... and he opened a window or door that would be easily overlooked ... like the French doors above the garage. If he attended the sale, and if he was on the front step between 10PM and midnight, Alvin might have opened the door for him.

Garland claimed that he withdrew from university due to a vehicle accident. The truth is that he was expelled for cheating.

I don't recall reading that he made that claim. Is there a link, or is that someone's theory?

I asked for a link earlier re blood spatter. Do we know there was a blood spatter analyst at the scene as someone stated? I can't find anything published in that regard......

The only information that we have is that the medical examiner (who deals with death) was at the home the day that the victims were reported missing.

My take on the following is that Garland, a technically average employee in a college lab, told the judge that he had a breakdown while studying at the university (his excuse for the termination of his studies), but the truth is that he was expelled for cheating.

"Though Mr. Garland was "technically average," he was a pleasant fellow who was quick to do whatever was asked of him, said the recent employer."

http://injusticebusters.org/index.htm/newstories3.htm

"According to what Judge Campbell Miller heard, Garland suffered a breakdown while at the University of Alberta, and “also seems to have been traumatized by causing what he described as a horrific accident due to falling asleep at the wheel. ... Yet some who knew Garland in those days say they never heard of him being involved in such an accident. ...A Postmedia News story from the drugs trial noted that the meth cook, as drug makers are called, had studied science at the University of Alberta but was expelled after being caught cheating.”

http://o.canada.com/news/national/b...w-and-mental-health-concerns-documents-reveal

I think it was someone on here who said there was a Blood Spatter Analyst at the Likness home. I don't think it was a published article.

It was mentioned as a practice in an interview with that Kevin ??? detective

My take on the following is that Garland, a technically average employee in a college lab, told the judge that he had a breakdown while studying at the university (his excuse for the termination of his studies), but the truth is that he was expelled for cheating.

"Though Mr. Garland was "technically average," he was a pleasant fellow who was quick to do whatever was asked of him, said the recent employer."

http://injusticebusters.org/index.htm/newstories3.htm

"According to what Judge Campbell Miller heard, Garland suffered a breakdown while at the University of Alberta, and “also seems to have been traumatized by causing what he described as a horrific accident due to falling asleep at the wheel. ... Yet some who knew Garland in those days say they never heard of him being involved in such an accident. ...A Postmedia News story from the drugs trial noted that the meth cook, as drug makers are called, had studied science at the University of Alberta but was expelled after being caught cheating.”

http://o.canada.com/news/national/b...w-and-mental-health-concerns-documents-reveal

"[2] ** * Mr. Garland is in his mid-forties. He suffers from attention deficient disorder (ADD). It was clear that he was agitated throughout the trial, but it was also apparent that he was an intelligent individual. Mr. Garland attended medical school in Alberta for one year until he suffered a breakdown. He also seems to have been traumatized by causing what he described as a horrific accident due to falling asleep at the wheel."

This is the full paragraph, which is just a brief history of his issues. The accident could have happened at any time.

I'm glad (hoping) that the outcome wasn't bad for your family. It would be great to know how that ended for the interloper.

It's really hard to know the best way to protect ourselves re: lights on or off while we are sleeping. In my case, we had the advantage of knowing our house (in the dark), whereas the people breaking in had to grope around and it left them off balance.
I still believe a light on in the wee hours of the night can be a bad idea. Again, it's hard to know for sure in every case.

Thanks for asking!

I had my spidey senses going so I turned the light on in my daughters room and the door was mid way open, I kicked it gently back with my foot and it wouldn't open anymore! I screamed for hubby who was looking in the garage and he came a flying...the man stepped out in front of me just as hubby arrived (brandishing a metal level - the only thing in sight to grab on his way in)....the man shoved his hands in his pocket and hubby swang away, I had my phone on me and called 911....hubby was able to get man to ground and hold him while violently struggled to get away especially after hearing me on the line with the police...I text our neighbour who came running and helped hold the guy...police helicopter and 4 cars descended on the house in minutes. It was such a crazy evening in my little Canadian neighbourhood! The man had a a few garage doors openers from vehicles he had broken into on the street and box cutter in his pocket with a stolen car running waiting a few doors down....

All these comments about some of you not locking your doors worries me!!!
Have you guys looked at the interactive Calgary crime map lately?
I looked at it last night and its kind of frightening!!!
Please start locking your doors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blood spatter can come from knife wounds. There is cast off spatter from the weapon. Experts can calculate the impact angle from the shape and size of the droplets. There's void areas that can determine where the suspect was. I can go on but you can look it up.

In the JA case, Travis was coughing up blood everywhere as she kept on stabbing him.

Yup. One domestic dispute - the only crime in this area in 4 months. Thank heavens.

oh dear god thankfully it turned out alright, in your daughters room wow
Thanks for asking!

I had my spidey senses going so I turned the light on in my daughters room and the door was mid way open, I kicked it gently back with my foot and it wouldn't open anymore! I screamed for hubby who was looking in the garage and he came a flying...the man stepped out in front of me just as hubby arrived (brandishing a metal level - the only thing in sight to grab on his way in)....the man shoved his hands in his pocket and hubby swang away, I had my phone on me and called 911....hubby was able to get man to ground and hold him while violently struggled to get away especially after hearing me on the line with the police...I text our neighbour who came running and helped hold the guy...police helicopter and 4 cars descended on the house in minutes. It was such a crazy evening in my little Canadian neighbourhood! The man had a a few garage doors openers from vehicles he had broken into on the street and box cutter in his pocket with a stolen car running waiting a few doors down....

"[2] ** * Mr. Garland is in his mid-forties. He suffers from attention deficient disorder (ADD). It was clear that he was agitated throughout the trial, but it was also apparent that he was an intelligent individual. Mr. Garland attended medical school in Alberta for one year until he suffered a breakdown. He also seems to have been traumatized by causing what he described as a horrific accident due to falling asleep at the wheel."

This is the full paragraph, which is just a brief history of his issues. The accident could have happened at any time.

The next question would be: why did he falsely claim that he had a BSc from the UofA?

If anyone has a link to the pdf court document related to Douglas Garland and Revenue Canada, please post. I think it holds the answers to a couple of questions about him.
Thx

I don't either, but I've been under the impression that handguns that are not restricted for sport competition reasons are still stored at a gun club. I think the important point is that Canadians do not have guns. It is not normal to have a gun at home, in a vehicle, in a handbag, or anywhere. Hunters have rifles that must be stored under very strict conditions. Gang members have guns and they shoot each other. Gun violence is foreign in Canada, unlike the US where everyone seems to have a gun.

Good point.
Canadians owning guns is not normal. We can't walk around with guns on us like in the US.
But that still doesn't mean DG couldn't have used a gun that night.
Although, IMO, I don't think a gun was used. Too noisy , for one thing. I assume in that part of the city, gun fire is not common and someone would have investigated where the sound came from.

Where I live, violent crime is pretty much non-existent.
There have been no home invasions. No murders. No kidnappings. Nothing.
All there is here is major drug dealing. week, the local paper has a story or two about a drug bust.
For a town of just under 23 000, it's shocking how much drug crime there is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay