Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for asking!

I had my spidey senses going so I turned the light on in my daughters room and the door was mid way open, I kicked it gently back with my foot and it wouldn't open anymore! I screamed for hubby who was looking in the garage and he came a flying...the man stepped out in front of me just as hubby arrived (brandishing a metal level - the only thing in sight to grab on his way in)....the man shoved his hands in his pocket and hubby swang away, I had my phone on me and called 911....hubby was able to get man to ground and hold him while violently struggled to get away especially after hearing me on the line with the police...I text our neighbour who came running and helped hold the guy...police helicopter and 4 cars descended on the house in minutes. It was such a crazy evening in my little Canadian neighbourhood! The man had a a few garage doors openers from vehicles he had broken into on the street and box cutter in his pocket with a stolen car running waiting a few doors down....

WOW....so glad you and your family are okay!!

Thanks for asking!

I had my spidey senses going so I turned the light on in my daughters room and the door was mid way open, I kicked it gently back with my foot and it wouldn't open anymore! I screamed for hubby who was looking in the garage and he came a flying...the man stepped out in front of me just as hubby arrived (brandishing a metal level - the only thing in sight to grab on his way in)....the man shoved his hands in his pocket and hubby swang away, I had my phone on me and called 911....hubby was able to get man to ground and hold him while violently struggled to get away especially after hearing me on the line with the police...I text our neighbour who came running and helped hold the guy...police helicopter and 4 cars descended on the house in minutes. It was such a crazy evening in my little Canadian neighbourhood! The man had a a few garage doors openers from vehicles he had broken into on the street and box cutter in his pocket with a stolen car running waiting a few doors down....
Wow, you are so incredibly lucky that things turned out well! So glad!

I'm the complete opposite, haha.
My doors are never locked. Even my mom doesn't lock her doors and she lives in Calgary.
I think the only time she'll lock the doors is if she goes away for an extended period of time.

My line of thinking is this: locks keep honest people out. If someone really wanted to get in, they'd break a window or something.

Please reconsider and lock your doors. :hand:

Where I live, violent crime is pretty much non-existent.
There have been no home invasions. No murders. No kidnappings. Nothing.
All there is here is major drug dealing. week, the local paper has a story or two about a drug bust.
For a town of just under 23 000, it's shocking how much drug crime there is here.

All the more reason to lock your doors.

Good point.
Canadians owning guns is not normal. We can't walk around with guns on us like in the US.
But that still doesn't mean DG couldn't have used a gun that night.
Although, IMO, I don't think a gun was used. Too noisy , for one thing. I assume in that part of the city, gun fire is not common and someone would have investigated where the sound came from.

A gun shot on the night of the murder would have been heard, noticed, and reported (at least after the disappearance) far and wide. To get around that, there is a suggestion that a home made silencer was produced and used. I think that's a lot more trouble than Garland was prepared to go through. It's quite possible that the decision to commit murder coincided with the bankruptcy declaration on June 25. That's not enough time to figure out how to buy an illegal gun and make a silencer. In any case, I highly doubt that a gun was used ... but I may be surprised when the trial starts. Maybe Garland bought a legal rifle, sawed off the end, made a silencer, and used that to murder the three victims. Is it possible to put a silencer on a sawed off shotgun?

A gun shot on the night of the murder would have been heard, noticed, and reported (at least after the disappearance) far and wide. To get around that, there is a suggestion that a home made silencer was produced and used. I think that's a lot more trouble than Garland was prepared to go through. It's quite possible that the decision to commit murder coincided with the bankruptcy declaration on June 25. That's not enough time to figure out how to buy an illegal gun and make a silencer. In any case, I highly doubt that a gun was used ... but I may be surprised when the trial starts. Maybe Garland bought a legal rifle, sawed off the end, made a silencer, and used that to murder the three victims. Is it possible to put a silencer on a sawed off shotgun?

otto, are you thinking the Winter Petroleum foreclosure was the catalyst for DG? He wasn't involved with that business so wondering if it was simply suspects rage over repeated business failures by AL and DG was acting like a vigilante over perceived wrongs by AL? Just speculating not making an opinion on AL personally.

otto, are you thinking the Winter Petroleum foreclosure was the catalyst for DG? He wasn't involved with that business so wondering if it was simply suspects rage over repeated business failures by AL and DG was acting like a vigilante over perceived wrongs by AL? Just speculating not making an opinion on AL personally.

What if DG was privy to financial info (that we don't have) through his sister PG?

We assume to a degree that maybe they were cash strapped when in fact they weren't? (I'm only throwing out ideas, I am not saying this is what I believe for certain).

What I'm suggesting is that even though DG was not involved in Winter Petroleum, could he have heard commentary via his sister that AL and KL were still doing fine financially despite the bankruptcy? perhaps he knew they still had plenty of money yet he perceived he should be compensated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's important that we not generalize about criminal activities in other parts of Canada and assume that the same is true of Calgary. Canada is the second largest country in the world (after Russia) so what happens 1200 miles away in Vancouver is not a reflection of what happens in Calgary. The crime rate nation wide is now at the level it was in 1973. What I would like to point out is that gun crime with silencers in Calgary is like hearing about aliens landing on the moon. It might happen, but it's very rare.
<rsbm>

Clouding the issue ... my post was in response to you claiming that silencers are only in movies.

Do you REALLY think Calgary is immune to the crime I refer to? Try googling <"gun silencer" calgary> ... guys on forums talking about the best place to get their silencer fixed. Clubhouse of a well-known biker gang (ha, ha) recently moved to an upscale Calgary neighbourhood from their old clubhouse around Chestermere Lake, a few miles east of the Liknes home in Parkhill.

Point being that if someone wants an illegal weapon, they are easily obtainable when you know the right people.

As for Calgary being ranked as one of the best cities in the world to live, let's not forget the crime we are discussing happens to be in Calgary.

I am wondering about that. He may not have been involved in the business, but the bankruptcy plus "leaving the country" sale could have given the suspect the impression that it was now or never in terms of settling the patent dispute. Given the family's statement that Garland "altered" the patent design that was registered by Alvin Liknes, I'm of the belief that Garland should have been named as a co-inventor. It could have been a now or never reaction, but it could, as you suggest, have been a situation where Garland's anger boiled over in relation to a 20 year history of lawsuits, bankruptcies, and the appearance of living well while others are impoverished. I have to wonder why Garland didn't settle his dispute in court. Clearly he is capable of litigating a dispute.

In terms of perceived wrongs that Garland may have attributed to Liknes, we know that Liknes' Winter Petroleum company declared bankruptcy after $800,000 in equipment was seized due to unpaid taxes. From the 2011 article about the company, I get the impression that the company may have been delinquent with taxes even then. That was $800,000 in revenue to the people in the community (I'm assuming) where Alvin was doing something with oil and gas. That's an awful lot of money. In addition to having unpaid taxes, there would be court costs associated with seizing the equipment ... and I highly doubt that this happened overnight. Maybe Garland decided that he was not going to let anyone else suffer financially while Liknes flew off to Mexico to retire on the beach. Who knows what was going on inside the mind of a mad man ... a crazy person that would murder a five year old child because of a dispute with his grandfather.

2011 Article: http://albertaventure.com/2011/04/small-players-big-issues/

Clouding the issue ... my post was in response to you claiming that silencers are only in movies.

Do you REALLY think Calgary is immune to the crime I refer to? Try googling <"gun silencer" calgary> ... guys on forums talking about the best place to get their silencer fixed. Clubhouse of a well-known biker gang (ha, ha) recently moved to an upscale Calgary neighbourhood from their old clubhouse around Chestermere Lake, a few miles east of the Liknes home in Parkhill.

Point being that if someone wants an illegal weapon, they are easily obtainable when you know the right people.

As for Calgary being ranked as one of the best cities in the world to live, let's not forget the crime we are discussing happens to be in Calgary.

Has there ever been a case in Calgary where silencers were used during a non-gang gun related murder?

It was mentioned as a practice in an interview with that Kevin ??? detective

I think it is only reasonable to conclude that if there was blood in or around the home as a result of a violent struggle, forensic investigation would include blood spatter analysis.

What if DG was privy to financial info (that we don't have) through his sister PG?

We assume to a degree that maybe they were cash strapped when in fact they weren't? (I'm only throwing out ideas, I am not saying this is what I believe for certain).

What I'm suggesting is that even though DG was not involved in Winter Petroleum, could he have heard commentary via his sister that AL and KL were still doing fine financially despite the bankruptcy? perhaps he knew they still had plenty of money yet he perceived he should be compensated?

Absolutely. If someone that owed me money declared bankruptcy, I'd probably offer to help ... ask what I could do to ease the financial strain. If I then heard that they were retiring to a condo they purchased in Mexico, and that they would be splitting their time between that vacation property and a home in Edmonton, I would not be happy.

We really have no idea what business ventures DG was involved in. He could have very well had recent business dealings with AL and it is still a mystery to us just like the rest of the details in this case.

How does one go about purchasing a home and later filing for bankruptcy? Wouldn't they seize all the property and distribute it to the creditors? None of this makes sense to me. I don't think they really purchased a home in Edmonton. I think they were planning in living with family there or renting. And I don't think the condo in Mexico was theirs either rather AL's brother's place. It seems like they were just trying to keep up appearances with the neighbors and not let them know that they were financially ruined.

I think it is only reasonable to conclude that if there was blood in or around the home as a result of a violent struggle, forensic investigation would include blood spatter analysis.

The medical examiner was there - this is the role, so that would include blood spatter analysis.

Role

"When a death occurs suddenly or it cannot be explained, the OCME conducts an investigation, under the authority of the Fatality Inquiries Act.

We hold each of our investigations to determine:
&#9726;who died
&#9726;where they died
&#9726;when they died
&#9726;why they died
&#9726;how they died"

http://justice.alberta.ca/programs_services/fatality/ocme/Pages/default.aspx

The medical examiner is governed by the Alberta Fatalities Inquiry Act:

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=F09.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=077973999X

We really have no idea what business ventures DG was involved in. He could have very well had recent business dealings with AL and it is still a mystery to us just like the rest of the details in this case.

We do.

"According to a relative of Mr. Liknes, Mr. Garland altered one of the patents and believed he should have been included as one of the inventors. Mr. Liknes paid for the work, but would not give Mr. Garland credit for the invention, said the family member, who described the dispute as &#8220;petty.&#8221;

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...glas-garland-over-patent-calgary-family-says/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay