Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got mine when I was 12. I got a job with the Boys & Girls Club cleaning up garbage at the Stampede, lol.

I could see that someone working a farm might not get one until they were getting a job off the farm or a student loan ....

My kids got them shortly after birth for RESPs :-).

I would think DG would have gotten his SIN sooner because the family would have paid him a wage for tax saving purposes related to a family business et al relating to the farm even if it was only on paper the wage.

No .. it says the RCMP are not there ;)

True... They have sent investigators... I think this is worthy of an official statement from whoever is currently in charge of this investigation. It can be simply to explain the media posts today.

My thought has always been that when they went to his home to question him, he said he was Matthew Hartley not DG and likely had the ID in him.

I'm curious re the stolen bank card issue. A bank card can be either a debit or credit card, so would be interesting to see what transactions, if any, may have taken place on that card that could relate to any purchases or travel related to the murders.

True... They have sent investigators... I think this is worthy of an official statement from whoever is currently in charge of this investigation. It can be simply to explain the media posts today.
CPS have always maintained that they are in charge of the investigation. RCMP was providing assistance.

@ ldbd ... you're very welcome :)

I want to say a big blanket Thank You to ALL who are posting here and working so hard to find information. I'm unintentionally stingy with the Thanks button, not because I don't appreciate all members/posts, but because my head flies all over the place :juggling: while I should be minding my manners at the same time :)

Also, a big shoutout and Welcome to all new WS members who joined up on this case :wagon:

http://www.timescolonist.com/missing-calgary-family-crown-stays-identity-theft-charges-1.1296019

Another article about the identity theft charges being stayed.

"...police alleged he was using that identity again when they brought him in for questioning in the missing persons case."

I don't recall it being worded quite like that before? using? I thought just in possession of?

rsbm bbm ^^^

His convictions, however, were for non-violent offences. He had faced weapons and assault charges in 1980s and 1990s, but they were dropped - See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/dougla...l-past-records-1.1206953#sthash.00zgekbX.dpuf

How can an assault be non-violent? Wouldn't a person possessing an illegal weapon have it for violent purposes?

I wonder if a deal was struck and these charges were stayed in exchange for info., thus the trip to Mexico.

Is Mexico a stop over on the way to Panama??

He probably didn't need one until he was 20 years old. That means he didn't have a job until then. After completing high school, he went to university. Barely into his third year, at the age of 20, he was expelled for cheating. Then he needed to get a job, so then he got a social insurance number.
That really seems odd to me otto. Why would he wait that long? Very odd.
Was DG born in Canada?

That really seems odd to me otto. Why would he wait that long? Very odd.
Was DG born in Canada?

Is it possible DG didn't graduate until he was 19 and didn't have a job while in high school? Did he go straight to university out of school? I can't remember, but do you need an SIN when applying to university? I would think you would need one if you were applying for student loans.

Wow! I was just listening to 660 and heard about the investigators in Mexico.....this is UNREAL!!!!

What do you guys think the connection is?

His convictions, however, were for non-violent offences. He had faced weapons and assault charges in 1980s and 1990s, but they were dropped - See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/dougla...l-past-records-1.1206953#sthash.00zgekbX.dpuf

How can an assault be non-violent? Wouldn't a person possessing an illegal weapon have it for violent purposes?

I wonder if a deal was struck and these charges were stayed in exchange for info., thus the trip to Mexico.

Is Mexico a stop over on the way to Panama??

Chances are, both sides agreed that these charges, and the related appearances, are a waste of time and resources given the gravity of the other pending charges. I can only imagine the volume of evidence the defence is going through to prepare for the next court appearance.

It was George MacDougall in Airdrie, it was the only high school in the area at the time. PG went to Bert Church because it was built in 1982 and closer to thr G acreage.
Was there any high school reunions? Possible photos, comments related to a reunion?

Is it possible DG didn't graduate until he was 19 and didn't have a job while in high school? Did he go straight to university out of school? I can't remember, but do you need an SIN when applying to university? I would think you would need one if you were applying for student loans.

Remember, he went to university of alberta and unless he had a relative in Edmonton to stay rent-free, he had to pay for housing there. Although tuition wouldn't have amounted to very much, it would have had to be paid for as well, along with incidentals.

So, either his parents paid for everything (possible), or he had another source of income that was under the table (also possible and could very well have included cash wages for farm work), or a student loan (for which he'd need a SIN). Or, he had a SIN before age 20 and this has been misreported. You don't need a SIN to apply for university.

Wow! I was just listening to 660 and heard about the investigators in Mexico.....this is UNREAL!!!!

I would suspect it is related to the money and the move, as well as a possible search of whatever properties are there.

I think they're following the money.

I think they're following the money.
Could also be just ensuring that they've covered off everything ... one possibility is ensuring that the defence can't raise reasonable doubt of the families death maybe? Just a thought

My thought has always been that when they went to his home to question him, he said he was Matthew Hartley not DG and likely had the ID in him.
Good point kaley. If that was the case DG wasn't too smart because LE would have been prepared in advance with a photo of DG likely given by the family via PG or public - police records photo so they would know right away he was lying about his identity.

Could also be just ensuring that they've covered off everything ... one possibility is ensuring that the defence can't raise reasonable doubt of the families death maybe? Just a thought
Agree, I think it both reasons, money trail and trial strategy.

I think this relates to motive. Although they are victims of murder, the estate may also be under investigation for financial irregularities related to taxes, and bankruptcy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meganreinert