Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Jian Ghomeshi article but I am interested in how Jesse Brown passed the story onto Star because they had the resources and liability insurance. So do the reporters that covered the Liknes/Obrien case have limitations? Are there reporters in Calgary that can uncover and reveal more details and publicize over another?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/10/27/jesse-brown-jian-ghomeshi-canadaland-patreon_n_6052444.html

Jesse Brown is a newcomer to blog journalism. His blog Canadaland is a startup, and last I heard, it survives on donations and user pay. He is a friend of my son's, and is considered by a lot of thinking people, young Canadian professionals, artists, etc. to be a very highly principled, stand up person. I believe it was Jesse Brown that also uncovered the Rex Murphy and Peter Mansbridge payoffs.

Jesse Brown is a newcomer to blog journalism. His blog Canadaland is a startup, and last I heard, it survives on donations and user pay. He is a friend of my son's, and is considered by a lot of thinking people, young Canadian professionals, artists, etc. to be a very highly principled, stand up person. I believe it was Jesse Brown that also uncovered the Rex Murphy and Peter Mansbridge payoffs.

I think I may become a proud supporter. I like his style!

Does your son have an opinion on this case and the media involvement?

The generosity of some people is just awesome.
The fact that JO didn't even know enough about DG to know that he even existed tells me that the deal with him was indeed a very old one, and for me, lends even more credence that this just couldn't have been a rage over that 7 year old patent issue. I get the impression overall that JO was very close with her mom, and women talk. I don't know about AL, but if he wasn't talking to his wife, then why wasn't he talking to his wife.

A new story in the Herald today. Interesting about the $1 million donation and the fact that JO "never even knew that Doug Garland existed."
http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/story.html?id=10331959

The generosity of some people is just awesome.
The fact that JO didn't even know enough about DG to know that he even existed tells me that the deal with him was indeed a very old one, and for me, lends even more credence that this just couldn't have been a rage over that 7 year old patent issue. I get the impression overall that JO was very close with her mom, and women talk. I don't know about AL, but if he wasn't talking to his wife, then why wasn't he talking to his wife.

I was surprised it is an American donor. I was also surprised that there was not a question about how her siblings were doing. I wonder if that will be another segment.

DG has got to know that he's in this for the long haul. I'm sure his Lawyer has told him to keep his mouth shut but I would love to see some relief for this family in knowing where their missing are.

They seem so broken and tired. I guess nothing else can be expected while living such a continuous nightmare. They obviously take great pride in all three of their beautiful children. I hope that this generous donation allows them to heal somewhat while helping others become Superheroes. I'm sure that they can and will continue to create a legacy that Nathan's brothers will be very proud of.

One more from Global. The anonymous donor is referred to by name.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1640701/f...childrens-foundation-with-1-million-donation/

He wanted to remain anonymous, but he had to register the corporation with the Secretary of State ... so his name is available.

It was on the news that the principal will remain intact, and the interest will be used to improve the lives of children ... with the O'Briens looking after awards in Calgary (presumably Canada).

He wanted to remain anonymous, but he had to register the corporation with the Secretary of State ... so his name is available.

It was on the news that the principal will remain intact, and the interest will be used to improve the lives of children ... with the O'Briens looking after awards in Calgary (presumably Canada).

with rates of return so low......it's going to be slow going ....MOO

I would be a little upset if I let reporters into my home to do a tribute story and with the intent to keep the donor anonymous and later read that the reporter just looked up the records and published the name. That seems tacky. JMO.

I would be a little upset if I let reporters into my home to do a tribute story and with the intent to keep the donor anonymous and later read that the reporter just looked up the records and published the name. That seems tacky. JMO.

I think so too. It's easy to look up, but I didn't post the info to respect the person that wanted to remain anonymous. The reporter that published the article should have better judgement, as it's no secret that the donor wanted to remain anonymous.

It's probably a tax shelter for the donor. Instead of capital gains for the interest on the principal, it's a tax deduction for a good cause.

I think the talk of an American donor will spark opportunity for some local Calgarian philanthropist(s) to make a further donation in Nathan's memory.

I think I may become a proud supporter. I like his style!

Does your son have an opinion on this case and the media involvement?

We live in different cities but I will be asking him. I know people are happy for Brown's success for putting things on 'blast' that the public wants and needs to know. Jesse Brown with his podcasts and others like him are becoming like the CBC was/is to older generations.

Of all the back handed and veiled insults and such regarding sleuthing and speculation on our parts throughout some 18,000 posts on this topic. IF these threads were a game of contract bridge, never ever ever ever ever, ever ever ever, could one of us reduce and contract all arguments and speculation, let alone state with the utmost and sincerest conviction,

Jennifer O'brien says: “I never even knew Doug Garland existed and I highly doubt my mom did, either,”

This statement trumps everything IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member