Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also joined WS to follow this particular case. I have a daughter the same age as little Nathan and I cannot stop thinking about this family. Thank you to everyone who posts and follows the trial from the courthouse. This is an invaluable resource to those of us who are invested in this case.
Some of my thoughts about DG: I believe the reason he returned to the farm was to retrieve the hard drive he hid. Obviously it contains tons of incriminating evidence. It baffles me why he kept that instead of destroying it.
I am hopeful the diaper/restraint fetish has nothing to do with the murders and is just something he does or fantasizes about.
The more I think about him, the more I think he has schizophrenia, hence the weekly psychiatrist appointments. The social withdrawal, personality disorder, alternate realities, perhaps delusions and paranoia could explain some of his behaviours, obsessions, grudges that led him to do this.
I will never understand why DG, when realizing NO was at the house, he couldn't just lock him in the bathroom, tell him to hide, or drop him off somewhere safe. That is what bothers me most about this case.

Welcome Calgarymom - We're glad you're here with us.

:welcome4:

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 1m1 minute ago
Cst. Doug Kraan now being cross examined by #Garland defence lawyer Kim Ross

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
#Garland triple murder trial resuming now-jury being brought in the court room

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 57s57 seconds ago
Ross asks Kraan if it's normal for computers to have malware or anti-virus software. He says no, need to be paid for, not default. #Garland

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 1m1 minute ago
Back for afternoon session of #Garland triple murder trial. Defence lawyer Kim Ross cross-examining forensic comp expert Const. Doug Kraan

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 1m1 minute ago
Const. Kraan now being cross-examined by defence lawyer Kim Ross. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 30s30 seconds ago
Kraan did agree that anyone could purchase and install the malware/anti-virus software on their computer. #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 58s58 seconds ago
Const. Kraan agrees with defence not unusual to find anti-viral malware on a computer like he found on the hard drive. #Garland

Malware. We're talking about malware. Ok..

If he did indeed torture them, wouldn't his parents have heard the screaming? Are they still living there? How can they after all this has happened? Have they moved out of the city?

Hey everyone....
I clearly remember the weeks and weeks we all spent back in the summer of 2014....pouring over maps and photos ...and articles....and the realization we'd be waiting years for it to all come out in court....well here we are....
As gruesome and evil as we thought the possibilities were then......reality seems much more heartwrenching and beyond believable......How can a human being ....be so........*shakes my head*....can't describe it even....
At this point with what has been brought out in court.....I have a theory...had a few back then too....still feel the same....but now with more added.....
At that time we didn't know of the torture.....I think we were all hoping it was quick ...especially for little Nathan.....we can hope right? :'(
I still hope it WAS for him....for all of them but for him at LEAST....
I don't get this feeling the diapers or cuffs are a 'thing' with him? Just my feeling....I think they were purposeful.....to restrain & control....and the diapers....well...in case they lost control of bodily function while he was torturing them......good gawd I can't believe I'm even typing that......I think the aerial photos show the diapers too....and just diapers...on them....not clothing...
I've been quiet ....normally I wasn't in this case....but I'm having a real hard time wrapping my head around the 'new' information......where we left off 2 1/2 years ago was getting bad enough but this new.....*shakes head*
As with all my posts....MOO & MOO

Anyways....nice to see so many of you on here from back then.....I may pipe up now and then.....just wanted to put my 2c in....hope all are well!
*HUGS*
Lori

Ross going after Kraan re. who would/could have used computer. Earlier Kraan said user "would have been Douglas Garland" #Garland

Kraan says he looks at multiple factor to determine who is using a computer. Believes #Garland was main user.

Hey everyone....
I clearly remember the weeks and weeks we all spent back in the summer of 2014....pouring over maps and photos ...and articles....and the realization we'd be waiting years for it to all come out in court....well here we are....
As gruesome and evil as we thought the possibilities were then......reality seems much more heartwrenching and beyond believable......How can a human being ....be so........*shakes my head*....can't describe it even....
At this point with what has been brought out in court.....I have a theory...had a few back then too....still feel the same....but now with more added.....
At that time we didn't know of the torture.....I think we were all hoping it was quick ...especially for little Nathan.....we can hope right? :'(
I still hope it WAS for him....for all of them but for him at LEAST....
I don't get this feeling the diapers or cuffs are a 'thing' with him? Just my feeling....I think they were purposeful.....to restrain & control....and the diapers....well...in case they lost control of bodily function while he was torturing them......good gawd I can't believe I'm even typing that......I think the aerial photos show the diapers too....and just diapers...on them....not clothing...
I've been quiet ....normally I wasn't in this case....but I'm having a real hard time wrapping my head around the 'new' information......where we left off 2 1/2 years ago was getting bad enough but this new.....*shakes head*
Anyways....nice to see so many of you on here from back then.....I may pipe up now and then.....just wanted to put my 2c in....hope all are well!
*HUGS*
Lori

LoriMcA !!!!!!!!!!

:welcomeback:

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 1m1 minute ago
Ross suggests anyone could have used the computer as it wasn't password protected #Garland

Ross asks Kraan about how he knows who used computer. Kraan: "Can I tell you who was using the computer” explained he gives opinion #Garland

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 2m2 minutes ago
Kraan agrees anyone with access to the computer, which wasn't password protected, could've used it. #Garland

Ross going after Kraan re. who would/could have used computer. Earlier Kraan said user "would have been Douglas Garland" #Garland

Kraan says he looks at multiple factor to determine who is using a computer. Believes #Garland was main user.

DG's parents were asked if they used the computer were they not??

Nancy Hixt Verified account ‏@NancyHixt 46s46 seconds ago
Ross reviewing Kraan's testimony from the preliminary inquiry--about knowing ID of user of computer #Garland

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 59s60 seconds ago
Kraan reiterates it's his "opinion" as an expert that Douglas #Garland is the one who used the computer

Kraan confirms he can't tell how long user is on a particular website #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago
Ross asking if Kraan can tell by search history how long page was viewed. "I can tell you if it was accessed, but not how long." #Garland

DG's parents were asked if they used the computer were they not??

Yes his mom did say they didn't use it. This cross is exactly what i thought it would be so far. The lawyer doesn't have much to work with.

Yes his mom did say they didn't use it. This cross is exactly what i thought it would be so far. The lawyer doesn't have much to work with.

BBM

I was just about to say the same thing. All he can really ask is, who used it? He's got nothing else.

This is probably the easiest money Kim Ross has ever made. Make sure everything is OK for his client and that his rights are protected but not much else to do.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 44s45 seconds ago
"I compiled the ones in my report that I felt were relevant," Kraan says, agreeing there were many other searches, educational etc #Garland

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 37s38 seconds ago
Lots of searches on drive, some weren't included in Kraan's report b/c he didn't feel they were relevant (i.e. educational ones) #Garland

"It's possible that the internet history I recovered was not complete," Kraan tells Ross, adding files can be written over #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 2m2 minutes ago
Kraan says although many searches were found for Kijiji and eBay on hard drive, he found no purchase history for anything. #Garland

Kraan said he made a # of reports for investigators. First report was 60g dump of data possibly related to investigation #Garland

Kraan: no purchase history found for Kijiji or Ebay-- earlier he had detailed extensive searches for items posted on both sites #Garland

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 2m2 minutes ago
Deleted items will remain on a hard drive and can be retrieved unless they get written over, says Kraan. #Garland

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 51s51 seconds ago
Defence done w/ Kraan. Crown calling next witness #Garland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads