Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I am glad about is the case seems to be moving along fast considering all the evidence to go over.

I do have a question if anyone knows about Canada legal procedures.

Is it similar in Canada where the prosecution goes through all their case first and then the defense will present their case to the jury after that?

I am real curious what kind of defense the defense will use. I get the feeling they are going to try and say the prosecution did not prove their client committed the murders and they may not bring on any witnesses.
The reason I am thinking that is because they do very little questioning of the witnesses. The defense tactic right now seems to not be grilling any of the witnesses. So I have to wonder if they are going to do like we have seen in some other cases where the defense doesnt call any witnesses and tries to say the prosecution did not prove he did the murders.

It will be interesting what approach they take. The problem with the approach I am thinking they may take is they had better give a good alternative of who killed them if they dont plan to call many witnesses of their own.

Or maybe they are looking for a plea deal near the end.
Is it too late for a plea deal?

I see the defence as asking good questions that are intended to clarify. For example, police testified that they used a tool that detects blood and found blood on light switches. The defence clarified that it is a 'presumptive' test that means nothing without additional testing. The defence also questioned Jennifer on her statement to police after discovering the scene - she did not actually say that someone came to the house, killed her family, and took the bodies. At this time, the defence goal seems to be to keep the prosecution, and their witnesses, honest.

It was court ordered originally. We're not sure if it continued to be extended past 2003 or he just decided to continue on his own?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/15/douglas-garland-murder-charge_n_5588760.html

Just catching up from last nights posts. I wonder if DG continued his appointments to sort 'play' on his ego, seeing it as a game or an opportunity to toy with someone highly educated, maybe gain info, etc. I can't find the right words to say what I mean. But almost viewing it as a joke, and not an opportunity for help.

To clear up the ongoing discussion that the diapers must have been stolen from a hospital... he in fact purchased them off of ebay.... see: court reported twitter tweets: http://live.cbc.ca/Event/Douglas_Garland_triple_murder_trial

Also... it is very possible this was not a fetish at all, but, he had premeditated all of this... and torture was in his mind. He could have used them on the victims to control mess, highly unlikely he'd allow for bathroom breaks... or he could have also used them himself when using the one piece forensic suits, and if he was wearing the suits at the time of torture, quite possible he'd don the adult diapers to make it so he didn't need to take bathroom breaks as well... I'm sure it'll all come out in the proverbial wash during the trials, but the viewing of the diapers can be looked at from many angles, fetish perhaps being one, but not necessarily a reason at all either. Very sad and tragic, but definitely a case that has many brain cogs turning with possibilities.

Cheers
The Catt :cat:
:canada:

Welcome to The Catt! Lots of new commenters on the thread lately, fantastic!
:gathering:

Just catching up from last nights posts. I wonder if DG continued his appointments to sort 'play' on his ego, seeing it as a game or an opportunity to toy with someone highly educated, maybe gain info, etc. I can't find the right words to say what I mean. But almost viewing it as a joke, and not an opportunity for help.

You make a good point ... he probably thought of it as a mental sparring game, one he thought he could win. As it stands today, he did.

To clear up the ongoing discussion that the diapers must have been stolen from a hospital... he in fact purchased them off of ebay.... see: court reported twitter tweets: http://live.cbc.ca/Event/Douglas_Garland_triple_murder_trial

Also... it is very possible this was not a fetish at all, but, he had premeditated all of this... and torture was in his mind. He could have used them on the victims to control mess, highly unlikely he'd allow for bathroom breaks... or he could have also used them himself when using the one piece forensic suits, and if he was wearing the suits at the time of torture, quite possible he'd don the adult diapers to make it so he didn't need to take bathroom breaks as well... I'm sure it'll all come out in the proverbial wash during the trials, but the viewing of the diapers can be looked at from many angles, fetish perhaps being one, but not necessarily a reason at all either. Very sad and tragic, but definitely a case that has many brain cogs turning with possibilities.

Cheers
The Catt :cat:
:canada:

I fully agree with this! My thoughts exactly. Or if he kept them in restaints for even hours he may not of wanted to clean up any messes they had.

You make a good point ... he probably thought of it as a mental sparring game, one he thought he could win. As it stands today, he did.

YES! Thank you! A mental sparring game - perfectly states what I couldn't find the words for. Thank you Otto!

A weekly meeting is a bit usual from my experience working in mental health in BC. Usually, clients that are more acute in their illness are seen weekly/bi weekly and then once stable they move to monthly or biweekly. In the BC mental health system you'd see a therapist through your mental health team for sessions/counselling and the doctor (psychiatrist) less often - sort of like when you go to the dentist; the hygienist does all the cleaning and dentist checks things over at the end.

Could be a couple things - he was receiving an injection psychiatric med he had to go for, participated in a group weekly, wasn't really at the psychiatrist every week but told his parents this, or really was seeing a psychiatrist that often - maybe a long standing thing? Not sure how long the courts could mandate him going? If it was mandated through the health system he would be essentially committed under the mental health act or similar in Alberta - which means he were a threat to himself of others and since this didn't come up I doubt this is the case.

Doug strikes me as quiet, unassuming - I think it was very likely he behaved in his sessions as he did when taken to the police station. Calm and quiet.

I would think if his symptoms were acute - meaning he was in the midst of an episode or having a breakdown we would have heard more from defense about competency and we haven't.

WARNING graphic. I had a horrible thought while I was sleeping: With regards to the warning given to the family about the computer forensics coming on MOnday- I WOnder if he make video and or pictures or kept notes of doing an "autopsy"🤐

In Ontario you need to be referred by a GP or, if you end up at a hospital needing psychiatric care, you get a referral there.

We are short on psychiatrists here and it is quite difficult to see one. Case in point; my nephew is bipolar and suffers terribly from anxiety. Kudos to him, he's in his first year of University and doing very well. He doesn't have a psychiatrist because he's moved away from home. He had a blip and it was necessary for him to see a psychiatrist. Do you think we could get him in to see one? Nope! We are still waiting 6 months later and he has a diagnosed illness. So now, he sees a therapist, who is keeping him on track and is sent to his GP for meds until he can see the psychiatrist.

We do not have enough psychiatrists to go around.

WARNING graphic. I had a horrible thought while I was sleeping: With regards to the warning given to the family about the computer forensics coming on MOnday- I WOnder if he make video and or pictures or kept notes of doing an "autopsy"��

Oh God you may well be right.

DG farm neighbour to testify today (?). I expect to hear how the burning barrel was going for a long time, but will we hear about smell? No one has mentioned anything about smell so far.

WARNING graphic. I had a horrible thought while I was sleeping: With regards to the warning given to the family about the computer forensics coming on MOnday- I WOnder if he make video and or pictures or kept notes of doing an "autopsy"🤐

Or pictures or video of the victims alive at the farm. There would be the proof. :sigh:

I don't know a lot about trials but if they had evidence like that wouldn't the crown mention it in the opening statement?

Re: the level of premeditation and preparedness by the accused...he had obviously been obsessed with his plan for a long time.

I personally have a hard time believing DG's parents were without a clue about their son's collections of chemicals, weapons, dozens of weapons and restraining devices. It would almost be a 'full time job' gathering artifacts for his scheme, ordering and sourcing and then receiving and hauling home his finds. It's possible that Mrs. Garland may have been a 'house lady' who got into her car and went into town, but Mr. G surely would have wanted to inspect his property regularly, as most men/country folk would, no matter what their age.

I fully agree with this! My thoughts exactly. Or if he kept them in restaints for even hours he may not of wanted to clean up any messes they had.

I wonder if cleaning up any messes would even count as a priority when it's a scene of humiliation, torture, murder and dismemberment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karmalicious478