Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The defence showed that they found ID for Matthew Hartley in the rafters along with the hard drive. They showed DG purchasing goods at Princess Auto with a TD card issued in the name of Matthew Hartley. (They had the receipt showing the name on the card AND they had the video to show that it was DG using it.) I don't think it matters that they can't say he was charged with identity theft. They've proved the link they needed to prove.

I didn't realize he had used MH's debit card for that. That makes sense then.

I was able to watch the princess auto video on twitter and it looks like he is wearing those dirty old running shoes he was arrested in. Anyone else see it?

The defence showed that they found ID for Matthew Hartley in the rafters along with the hard drive. They showed DG purchasing goods at Princess Auto with a TD card issued in the name of Matthew Hartley. (They had the receipt showing the name on the card AND they had the video to show that it was DG using it.) I don't think it matters that they can't say he was charged with identity theft. They've proved the link they needed to prove.

To my knowledge, he made all purchases with a credit card. The only thing that was listed as being in MH's name was a debit card that was on his person when he was arrested. Did anyone see a tweet that indicated that the CC was in MH's name as well? :waitasec:

Those posey straps..... we use them in the USA as well. Back when physical restraints were allowed, all restraints were called Posey because of the brand. At any rate, the ones shown, they weren't for lifting a person. They do make gait belts that you put around a person, and then walk close to them, if they are off balance, you can help them find their balance with the belt. I did see in one photo a light blue padded restraint. Those were used around the wrists or ankles to tie a person to a chair or bed. Illegal for nursing homes in VA now. I have seen them used in hospitals here as recently as 6 months ago though.

There are several items to help lift or move a patient, but I didn't see any photos of them offered.

Thank you - quite true. Posey also make straitjackets (don't know why all reporters refer to them as straight jackets :) )

To my knowledge, he made all purchases with a credit card. The only thing that was listed as being in MH's name was a debit card that was on his person when he was arrested. Did anyone see a tweet that indicated that the CC was in MH's name as well? :waitasec:

I understood it the same as you. He had debit card with MH on it when arrested. Used his own credit card for purchases.

Thanks Kamille and Olive. I may have missed that. I was scrolling through the tweets pretty fast after work!
I may have conflated (is that a word? Regardless, I like it.) finding him with the MH debit card and using the card to purchase things. Can anyone confirm if a purchase was ever made with an MH card (debit or credit)?

[video=twitter;826606271423995904]https://twitter.com/Dave_Dormer/status/826606271423995904[/video]

Found this in Meghan Grant article

"One of Wednesday's witnesses will be medical examiner Dr. Elizabeth Brooks-Lim, who examined bones found in the burn barrel on the Garland property."

Thanks Kamille. I may have missed that. I was scrolling through the tweets pretty fast after work!
I may have conflated (is that a word? Regardless, I like it.) finding him with the MH debit card and using the card to purchase things. Can anyone confirm if a purchase was ever made with an MH card (debit or credit)?

The tweets were very confusing around that issue. They never indicated whose name the CC was in but the Princess Auto employee did state that DG was a "preferred customer", which would indicate to me he used some kind of member card? And then they showed the video to prove it was him and then the defence started asking about paying cash. None of it made sense and I really thought that was a bad tweet translation by all the reporters.

This is the closest I saw to indicate that the purchases at Princess Auto were in his name...

Meghan Grant ‏@CBCMeg 3h3 hours ago
Harper investigated #Garland banking records - notes Princess Auto was one of the places purchases made

So, presuming I was wrong (don't tell my hubby!) about DG using MH's card to purchase stuff at Princess Auto, where would the MH connection be relevant? I presume it is to connect DG with the emails and partial web registrations on the hard drive under the name of MH. He was found with MH's debit card in his possession and they found other documents in the rafters with MH's name.

Does this sound right? If so, I still believe it doesn't matter that the Crown can't mention the charge of identity theft.

So, presuming I was wrong (don't tell my hubby!) about DG using MH's card to purchase stuff at Princess Auto, where would the MH connection be relevant? I presume it is to connect DG with the emails and partial web registrations on the hard drive under the name of MH. He was found with MH's debit card in his possession and they found other documents in the rafters with MH's name.

Does this sound right? If so, I still believe it doesn't matter that the Crown can't mention the charge of identity theft.

Well that's just it, so far I'm not seeing why his use of MH's identity ties into these crimes. Perhaps there is more to come regarding that? Or perhaps the credit cards WERE in MH's name but we're not getting that out of the tweets? There has to be something or that evidence would have been argued out. I think that we have heard...

Documents in the name of MH found in rafters
Debit card in the name of MH found on DG when arrested
Incomplete kijiji registration in the name of MH found on Sony computer in house.

Anything else? Is this all just to tie into proving that DG used the home computers? That no one named MH used them because DG uses that identity?

That man does seem to have very big feet for his frame.

His feet do look quite big.

He is so awkward. Just watching him walk in you can tell he'd have social issues.

Seeing that video gives me the creeps. Knowing he was going in there with the intentions he had. Like how does one casually walk in to princess auto to buy things to torture and murder someone?

Did anyone notice the wire rimmed glasses? Do they look like the ones he was arrested in? Or more like the ones that were found in the burn pit?

Did anyone notice the wire rimmed glasses? Do they look like the ones he was arrested in? Or more like the ones that were found in the burn pit?

Yes was just about to take some screen shots to compare! Well spotted. I am sure they are the same.

Well that's just it, so far I'm not seeing why his use of MH's identity ties into these crimes. Perhaps there is more to come regarding that? Or perhaps the credit cards WERE in MH's name but we're not getting that out of the tweets? There has to be something or that evidence would have been argued out. I think that we have heard...

Documents in the name of MH found in rafters
Debit card in the name of MH found on DG when arrested
Incomplete kijiji registration in the name of MH found on Sony computer in house.

Anything else? Is this all just to tie into proving that DG used the home computers? That no one named MH used them because DG uses that identity?

But if the crown was never supposed to let the jury know that DG did use that identity then what was the point of bringing up the name? Of course now that they know DG used that name it all makes sense to them but had the crown not told them that they would be clueless. We must be missing something because his lawyer would have argued the evidence out successfully if there was no reason for the jury to know about MH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme