Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rule to live by do not do crime and use your preferred customer or CO-OP card
Omg, that's right ... he got caught before because they found a receipt with his Co-op #!!! He likes his points doesn't he

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Still waiting. I imagine the Judge will shut it down for the day, but you never know.

I would like to know whether DG had any connections with the Picton farm. Because his time in Vancouver overlaps with the nefarious deeds that went on at that place.

At the very least I wonder how much of that case he may have followed in the news? Did he think he could do a better job of "disappearing" people on his farm?

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 45s45 seconds ago
Justice Gates tells jury they are to disregard evidence about #Garland/Matthew Hartley identity theft charge-as charge was stayed by crown

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 1m1 minute ago
Judge addressing the jury now about evidence given by Det. Harper #Garland

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 1m1 minute ago
Jury back. Defence has no questions for Det. Harper. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 24m24 minutes ago
When asked if she knew if #Garland ever wore Delta 2 shoes Gallen says "i've seen a video so I don't know how to answer that." #Garland #yyc

The officer was Gallen.

I sure hope they have shoe video they can show.

She did say that but then i thought she also said something about law enforcement not being in possession of a video with him wearing the shoes. It was all very confusing. Maybe there is a video that isn't admissible in court???

Well there may be a video. Or they may have been referring to the Princess Auto one that was shown today. But just because a detective or two think that it is highly likely a pair of white athletic shoes on the feet of the suspect in a surveillance video, look very similar to the missing Delta 2 shoes that made those impressions, doesn't mean that it's worth it to actually bring that evidence in. Unless they can definitively prove it, with distinctive markings on the shoes obviously visible, I doubt they'd bother with all of the other evidence they have. They wouldn't want to make it look like they were "stretching" at evidence and the defence would be the first to point it out if they thought they were.

I AM curious if they never bring in a video showing a good shot of his footwear, which appear to match a Delta shoe, whether any of the members of the jury did pick up on that little comment and did check out his feet in the video they saw today.

MOO

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 53s53 seconds ago
#Garland done for the day.

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 1m1 minute ago
Justice Gates tells jurors they improperly heard evidence #Garland was charged with identity theft. Told to ignore it. Charge was stayed.

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 1m1 minute ago
Jurors told "You should not consider it for any purpose." #Garland
Trial done for day

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 2m2 minutes ago
Harper done but judge issued caution to jurors about identity theft charge: "This is evidence that you ought not to have heard" #Garland

At the very least I wonder how much of that case he may have followed in the news? Did he think he could do a better job of "disappearing" people on his farm?

I don't think these murders are his first, a person doesn't get to be over 50 years old and suddenly decide to be a killer. There's likely many a cold case in his wake. Did DG frequent the DTES during his time in Vancouver?

So many unanswered questions...

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 24m24 minutes ago
When asked if she knew if #Garland ever wore Delta 2 shoes Gallen says "i've seen a video so I don't know how to answer that." #Garland #yyc

The officer was Gallen.

I sure hope they have shoe video they can show.

Right!! That's who it was and what she said! Thanks!! I really hope so too!!!!

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 1m1 minute ago
Jurors told "You should not consider it for any purpose." #Garland
Trial done for day

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 2m2 minutes ago
Harper done but judge issued caution to jurors about identity theft charge: "This is evidence that you ought not to have heard" #Garland

Wasn't the defence a little slow on the uptake for this? They didn't object at the time it was said and they waited until the Crown was finished with the witness before asking the judge for a moment to discuss it?

MOO

Well, that was quite the day! I sure do hope DG's parents are somewhere people don't know who their son is and have people around them supporting them. Hopefully they are not aware of what is being reported. What a way to spend the last years of your life.

Wasn't the defence a little slow on the uptake for this? They didn't object at the time it was said and they waited until the Crown was finished with the witness before asking the judge for a moment to discuss it?

MOO

I wonder why the crown was even allowed to present evidence with Matthew Hartley's name. He used his own credit card so how does MH tie in to this crime? If the crown wasn't even supposed to reveal he had identity theft charges then i see no reason to bring the name up to the jury.

MOO

Did Defense wait intentionally in hopes of a mistrial if DG is found guilty? I cant see it happening for them. Not based on that.

If he did indeed torture them, wouldn't his parents have heard the screaming? Are they still living there? How can they after all this has happened? Have they moved out of the city?

My boss has a son who is in real estate in airdrie and the property was up for sale soon after. He has even looked at the property. There was still marks from the police search and nothing had been cleaned up. Not even sure if the parents had really gone back to the property to stay after. I highly doubt DGs old parents could of lived there without him to keep up the property. As for the parents, when they were on the stand, his mom admitted she takes sleeping pills and the father was on T3 with codeine for tooth ache. Plus the property was so big, if he was on the far end with the outbuildings they would not of heard anything.

I wonder why the crown was even allowed to present evidence with Matthew Hartley's name. He used his own credit card so how does MH tie in to this crime? If the crown wasn't even supposed to reveal he had identity theft charges then i see no reason to bring the name up to the jury.

This is confusing to me also. Unless there is more evidence to come of some things that he did in the name of Matthew Hartley? I suppose it is okay to suggest that he was using an alternate name, and had identification in that name, just not that he was charged with using a real deceased person's actual identity when doing so? :waitasec:

More evidence that he is sick. No chance for rehab for this puppy!!!!!!!!

Well, that was quite the day! I sure do hope DG's parents are somewhere people don't know who their son is and have people around them supporting them. Hopefully they are not aware of what is being reported. What a way to spend the last years of your life.
Exactly what I was thinking.

But their testimony indicated a sense of denial to me.

Jmo

Those posey straps..... we use them in the USA as well. Back when physical restraints were allowed, all restraints were called Posey because of the brand. At any rate, the ones shown, they weren't for lifting a person. They do make gait belts that you put around a person, and then walk close to them, if they are off balance, you can help them find their balance with the belt. I did see in one photo a light blue padded restraint. Those were used around the wrists or ankles to tie a person to a chair or bed. Illegal for nursing homes in VA now. I have seen them used in hospitals here as recently as 6 months ago though.

There are several items to help lift or move a patient, but I didn't see any photos of them offered.

The defence showed that they found ID for Matthew Hartley in the rafters along with the hard drive. They showed DG purchasing goods at Princess Auto with a TD card issued in the name of Matthew Hartley. (They had the receipt showing the name on the card AND they had the video to show that it was DG using it.) I don't think it matters that they can't say he was charged with identity theft. They've proved the link they needed to prove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme