Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right - I think the reason he removed the unlawful confinement route was that Bosma willingly got into that truck. He was not forced.

I'm just saying that I think it is complicated.. there seem to be convictions and appeals and reinstatements and etc, from this very issue, and so if judges can't seem to get it right all of the time, I think it's something that's above our pay-grade here as sleuthers to see it as cut and dried simple, imho.

They haven't proven the victims were taken alive, so I think that option falls apart right there, even if that option was available to begin with. As I understand it, it also has to be a distinctly separate act from the murder, not a part of it. When that law was created, I believe it was to cover a case where say, a hostage was taken, but no intent was there to kill the hostage, but the hostage ended up dying by accident. In this case, it seems pretty clear that there was intent and planning, which would be first degree murder anyway. DG may not have specifically planned to kill NO, but when he found him there, he may have intended to include him in his plan. I don't believe it takes a certain time period in which the planning and deliberation must take place, can be seconds. In the event that DG gets 2nd degree for NO, DG is still going away for the rest of his life, regardless. He is going to be an elderly man when he sees the light of day again... even if the sentences are served concurrently.

In the case of Bosma, I don't think that even that one is simple... it could be said that they can't use 'kidnapping', since TB got into the truck willingly (but yet it was under deliberately false pretences); but they did definitely confine him and prevent him from leaving, just as DG would have prevented this family from leaving. moo.

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 1m1 minute ago
Crown: How were you feeling?
Parhar: Tired
#Garland

Bill GravelandVerified account ‏@BillGraveland 1m1 minute ago
Parhar waited for her partner where #Garland was believed to be hiding. Members of the police strike force then arrived.

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 2m2 minutes ago
Crown asks if Parhar concerned when tracking #Garland
"I was't concerned until HAWC asked me where my partner was," said Parhar

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 2m2 minutes ago
Parker's partner comes onto scree followed by surveillance truck w 2 officers. #Garland #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 2m2 minutes ago
Parhar says she got worried when HAWCS asked her where her backup was. Her partner was another female CPS officer. #Garland

Wow! Harrowing stuff. The courage of that young woman - this was a violent murderer she was chasing down in the pitch black, through rough terrain. Right out of an intense thriller movie. Scary stuff.

This picture from yesterday makes me SO sick to my stomach.

Poor little Nathan and his Grandmother. Trying to get away from the SOB. Likely trying to hide or get to the closet.

It's beyond heartbreaking to think of it.

attachment.php

A bloody handprint with DNA from both Nathan O'Brien, 5, and his grandmother Kathy Liknes was found on a closet door about knee high from the floor. (Court exhibit )

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-murder-liknes-nathan-obrien-day-16-1.3972279

That is heartbreaking.

And you raise an interesting point. Shouldn't there have been a lot more handprints if either victim had their hands free during these assaults? :waitasec:

MOO

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 34s35 seconds ago
Video showing #Garland lying face down in grass, being arrested. "I placed the suspect in handcuffs"; he was "very calm, very collected."

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 38s39 seconds ago
Parhar said #Garland followed commands. #yyc

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 41s42 seconds ago
As #Garland goes down, Parhar went over and placed him in handcuffs. Says he was "very calm, very collected" #yyc

Ina SidhuVerified account ‏@CTVInaSidhu 41s42 seconds ago
Parhar placed #garland in handcuffs. His demeanour was calm. Followed commands

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 49s50 seconds ago
Parhar : I placed the suspect in handcuffs said he was "very calm very collected #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 49s50 seconds ago
Parhar assiett in the arrest. "I placed the suspect in handcuffs," said #Garland was "very calm and collected." #yyc

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 50s51 seconds ago
Parhar handcuffed #Garland - says he was "very calm...very collected"

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 53s54 seconds ago
"I placed the suspect in handcuffs," says Parhar. #Garland

Bryan LabbyVerified account ‏@CBCBryan 1m1 minute ago
Parhar now reunited with her partner, the video shows they were standing right next to #Garland. She placed him in handcuffs, he was calm.

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 1m1 minute ago
Parhar: you can now see on video #Garland come out of the trees- on ground-

Bill GravelandVerified account ‏@BillGraveland 1m1 minute ago
"That's Mr. #Garland," said Parhar when asked if she knew who was seen coming out of the bushes on the video. Garland then arrested.

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 2m2 minutes ago
Video shows #Garland coming out of the bushes, Parhar says.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 2m2 minutes ago
#Garland now comes out of trees, lays down, arrested. #yyc

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 2m2 minutes ago
More
Parhar finds her partner, backup came in. She and her partner decided to go into the trees. #Garland eventually comes out #yyc

<modsnip>
I have been totally amazed with the Canadian system, from officer patrols up to the courtroom procedures. Everyone has worked together so well for this case. My first following any trial in Canada. I am sure I will be back for more. <modsnip>

Valerie Fortney &#8207;@ValFortney 1m1 minute ago
"Almost like that thousand yard stare, very expressionless," says Parhar of #Garland's expression after arrest.

Lucie Edwardson &#8207;@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago
Parhar said HAWCS light made #Garland face visible, said he had "thousand yard stare, very expressionless" #yyc

Meghan GrantVerified account &#8207;@CBCMeg 59s60 seconds ago
Parhar, her partner and #Garland sat in box of surveillance pick-up truck that had arrived to get him off propertyshe was still breathing heavily, was trying to collect herself while placing #Garland under arrest #yyc

Video shows #Garland being put into back of truck with officers to be transported out of the field. #yyc

Nancy HixtVerified account &#8207;@NancyHixt 55s55 seconds ago
Parhar said she took a photo of her CPS Crown Vic truck &#8220;We found it comical how engulfed in grass it was&#8221; #Garland

"we found it quite comical how engulfed in grass the car was," Parhar said of a photo she took of her police car after. #Garland #yyc

Lucas MeyerVerified account &#8207;@meyer_lucas 1m1 minute ago
Parhar says once out of the field, they handed #Garland over to RCMP and went back to their vehicle. #yyc

Lucie Edwardson &#8207;@MetroLucie 37s38 seconds ago
Parhar said she didn't interact w #Garland until returning to CPS headquarters @ Westwards. #yyc

Bryan LabbyVerified account &#8207;@CBCBryan 40s41 seconds ago
Parhar says she met up with #Garland again at CPS HQ at Westwinds, she removed Garland's handcuffs, she says his demeanour hadn't changed.

Nancy HixtVerified account &#8207;@NancyHixt 44s45 seconds ago
Parhar: followed as #Garland was taken to CPS headquarters at Westwinds-she later removed his handcuffs-he remained "calm"

Bill GravelandVerified account &#8207;@BillGraveland 46s47 seconds ago
Parhar says she and her partner helped walk #Garland into Calgary police headquarters and removed his handcuffs. Says he wass till calm.

Lucie Edwardson &#8207;@MetroLucie 46s47 seconds ago
Parhar had no concerns for #Garland physical well being at that point. Said he was still very calm. #yyc

Bryan LabbyVerified account &#8207;@CBCBryan 51s52 seconds ago
Parhar says her arms had broken out into hives due to a reaction from the tall grass where #Garland was arrested.

Meghan GrantVerified account &#8207;@CBCMeg 1m1 minute ago
Back at police HQ #Garland still very calm. Parhar says she had broken out in hives, was allergic to the grass she'd been running through

Valerie Fortney &#8207;@ValFortney 36s37 seconds ago
The two female officers walked #Garland into CPS HQ in Calgary, Parhar removed his handcuffs and helped with processing accused.

Lucie Edwardson &#8207;@MetroLucie 37s38 seconds ago
during her pursuit of #Garland Parhar said she had to climb over a barbed-wire fence "I ripped my shirt and barrel rolled over, actually"

Lucie Edwardson &#8207;@MetroLucie 47s47 seconds ago
Defence has no questions for Parhar. #Garland #yyc

Bryan LabbyVerified account &#8207;@CBCBryan 48s48 seconds ago
The Crown has officially closed its case. #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account &#8207;@NancyHixt 1m1 minute ago
That concludes the crown witnesses in the triple murder trial of #Garland

Meghan GrantVerified account &#8207;@CBCMeg 1m1 minute ago
Parhar is done testifying. #Garland

Who should play Parhar in a movie?

So defence wasn't kidding when they said they were waiting until the crown closes its case to decide if they are presenting evidence. Maybe one last push by his lawyers to talk DG out of testifying???

Kudos to Offiver Parhar. Hives, barrel-rolling over a fence, alone in the dark and did not even realize her partner wasn't beside her. She was definitely intent on seeing this end with a capture. Mission accomplished!

Valerie Fortney &#8207;@ValFortney 21s22 seconds ago
Crown closes its case on #Garland triple murder trial; court to reconvene at 1:30, when defence will announce its plans regarding defence.

Lucas MeyerVerified account &#8207;@meyer_lucas 24s25 seconds ago
The Crown has closed its case. Now waiting to see what defence will do. #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account &#8207;@KMartinCourts 25s26 seconds ago
Crown entered 89 exhibits in its case, the last one Parhar's photo of her police cruiser. #Garland

Crown case is closed. Breaking unit 1:30 when defence will say if they are calling any witnesses #Garland

Lucas MeyerVerified account &#8207;@meyer_lucas 1m1 minute ago
Parhar, Crown's final witness, is done. Now taking an early lunch break, back at 1:30 #Garland #yyc

Bryan LabbyVerified account &#8207;@CBCBryan 1m1 minute ago
Defence has asked for a break until 1:30 p.m. #Garland

WHEW! I could barely keep up. All Reporters are in and they are all tweeting everything!
Now to go back and see what else was going on while that was my focus....

Boy, I need this break. I have been waiting to get my errands done, but could not keep myself away.

Nice work, as always, JadeSLeuth! Cannot thank you and everyone posting enough.

:grouphug: getting closer to a verdict

WHEW! I could barely keep up. All Reporters are in and they are all tweeting everything!
Now to go back and see what else was going on while that was my focus....

You did a good job!

You can tell the reporters were really into this testimony because they were tweeting everything!

Wow. I'm super impressed with Calgary police. I'm in Ontario and followed along from the start. Had the searches going on at work. I begged my boss!
They really wanted to find them alive and did all the can I believe. The next best thing is providing justice to the families. Proud to be Canadian! Thanks everyone for the tweets!! Xo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kudos to Offiver Parhar. Hives, barrel-rolling over a fence, alone in the dark and did not even realize her partner wasn't beside her. She was definitely intent on seeing this end with a capture. Mission accomplished!
And after only 18 months on the job!!! She's a superstar!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member