Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really sad that she felt such trauma from doing a civic duty. From what I have read, the new service is only a few months old, but I am not positive of that.

I think it would have been very easy for him to see a psychiatrist every week and keep his inner thoughts hidden. I get the impression (and could be wrong) that he could participate quite like a "normal person" when it suited him or circumstances were easy to handle. If he knew right from wrong and could separate his thoughts, he would be able to present before a psychiatrist/ doctor/counselor and not blab about his deep-seated angers, especially if he had a plan in the works. I doubt he told psych about his computer searches and books, his collections of knives and handcuffs, etc.

JMO

Psychiatrists are supposed to be able to get into someone's head so they can prescribe appropriate anti-psychotic drugs. They should be skilled in doing this even if the patient doesn't want it to happen. If the psychiatrist didn't get into Garland's head, then he/she wasn't doing his/her job.

Looking at the aerial photos how sure was that some white material was an adult diaper? Cause if it was not, I do not get why to show DG's diaper fetishism if it's not related to the case.

I do not understand why did Crown state that the victims died at the farm while there is no proof of that, as far as I know.

The police did a good job, the only regret I have is that they did not publish the photo of truck earlier. Usually the first 24h are crucial.

I would expect more details from blood patern expert about estimation of blood loss, as Otto mentioned earlier.

I wonder if there is evidence that is so inflammatory that it was thrown out.

The website is not right. I tried to have my adult brother held for 72 hours and evaluated. His family doctor "formed" him and his wife and I both explained how crucial this would be to have him.treated for mental illness. He is an addict and in complete denial. Attempted suicide once, complete with note, yet hospital would not keep him more than just overnight. Really frustrating for family trying to get help for people like him.

It is very hard to help someone who does not want help...

The website is not right. I tried to have my adult brother held for 72 hours and evaluated. His family doctor "formed" him and his wife and I both explained how crucial this would be to have him.treated for mental illness. He is an addict and in complete denial. Attempted suicide once, complete with note, yet hospital would not keep him more than just overnight. Really frustrating for family trying to get help for people like him.

I completely sympathize with that and I'm sorry you all have had to go through that.

I think what I'm getting at is the law allows for it, how it works in reality can be entirely different.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I have found smth on video released by the police which might be relevant or just be an artifact but if it is not it could be disturbing for someone. Is it ok I paste it?

attachment.php

Look at the end of the truck bed, end of this white smth (right upper corner of the photo) and magnify a bit.

You can watch whole video here : http://video.todaysfarmer.ca/search...land-triple-murder-trial/5313197067001/page/3

Attachments

• b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 321
I have found smth on video released by the police which might be relevant or just be an artifact but if it is not it could be disturbing for someone. Is it ok I paste it?
Fine by me but I don't run the show. People can choose not to click links.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Psychiatrists are supposed to be able to get into someone's head so they can prescribe appropriate anti-psychotic drugs. They should be skilled in doing this even if the patient doesn't want it to happen. If the psychiatrist didn't get into Garland's head, then he/she wasn't doing his/her job.

IMHO it is very unfair of you to blame the psychiatrist, or state "he/she wasn't doing his/her job"

It is impossible for us to have any idea why DG was seeing the Doctor, nor what transpired in those sessions. For all we know, it was the Doctor's work with DG that kept him out of trouble for many years.

MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I completely agree. I've been in a similar situation with a loved one. Complete with texts to back it up. Sent cops to look for this person on numerous occasions as suicide was threatened. This person was taken to hospital on more than one occasion by LE and never once was admitted even for observation. Family doc told me that he can get a ruling from a judge but I would have to get the individual into his office and he would need to feel that his life or someone else's was in jeopardy. Even with a judges order they would only keep in hospital for 48 hours likely. It's pretty much impossible to help someone even when you know they are screaming for it, I found out.

IMHO it is very unfair of you to blame the psychiatrist, or state "he/she wasn't doing his/her job"

It is impossible for us to have any idea why DG was seeing the Doctor, nor what transpired in those sessions. For all we know, it was the Doctor's work with DG that kept him out of trouble for many years.

MOO

According to reviews, DG psychiatrist's expertise is specifically ADHD (see one of my previous post). Btw, I was surprised he did not testify.

I completely agree. I've been in a similar situation with a loved one. Complete with texts to back it up. Sent cops to look for this person on numerous occasions as suicide was threatened. This person was taken to hospital on more than one occasion by LE and never once was admitted even for observation. Family doc told me that he can get a ruling from a judge but I would have to get the individual into his office and he would need to feel that his life or someone else's was in jeopardy. Even with a judges order they would only keep in hospital for 48 hours likely. It's pretty much impossible to help someone even when you know they are screaming for it, I found out.

very sad and difficult. Even though adult age, they are not capable of making decisions to help themselves.

Interesting that DG was manufacturing meth (but apparently not a finished drug) which is used to tread ADHD.

Busted on Oct. 23, 1992 on his parents’ acreage, where police found a sophisticated drug lab with a vast supply of chemicals used in the manufacture of methamphetamines — albeit no actual finished drugs — Garland made one court appearance on drug-trafficking charges, then vanished.

http://o.canada.com/news/national/b...w-and-mental-health-concerns-documents-reveal

[url]https://www.drugs.com/methamphetamine.html
[/URL]

I wonder why was DG arrested in connection with a stolen tractor-trailer in BC? What was he up to?

It would have been much more difficult to track DG if he had come with a stolen truck on June 29th...

Looking at the aerial photos how sure was that some white material was an adult diaper? Cause if it was not, I do not get why to show DG's diaper fetishism if it's not related to the case.

I do not understand why did Crown state that the victims died at the farm while there is no proof of that, as far as I know.

The police did a good job, the only regret I have is that they did not publish the photo of truck earlier. Usually the first 24h are crucial.

I would expect more details from blood patern expert about estimation of blood loss, as Otto mentioned earlier.

Police probably didn't have evidence of the truck earlier.

I felt at the beginning of the case, with the prosecution's claim that the victims died at the acreage, that the junior prosecutor wanted to in some ways sensationalize evidence found at the acreage regardless of whether it related directly to their deaths.

The ME was unable to say whether the victims died at the Liknes home, but the blood spatter expert had no problem describing the extensive blood loss and violence that one would assume meant that they very likely either died at the home, or died as a result of the injuries inflicted at the home. That is why I suggested that the ME favoured the prosecution when stating that she didn't know whether they died at the home or not ... either that, or she is inexperienced. Her testimony seems, in many ways, to be little more than a self serving support for the prosecution's claim that maybe the victims were still alive in the back of Garland's truck. That does not mean that they were alive at the acreage, but that is what the prosecution wants the jury to believe ... and that justified the introduction of all sorts of gruesome evidence that probably had no role in the murders.

The business about diapers seems completely irrelevant. Diapers were found on the acreage, and there is a photo of two of the victims wearing white underwear or a diaper. If doesn't matter what they were wearing. If they were photographed at the acreage, that is all that matters.

I was going to ask about that. In this case specifically, why then, would DG have opted for a jury trial? It doesn't make sense.

Sure it does. I think a Judge wouldn't have to think twice to come to a guilty guilty guilty verdict.

All DG needs is 1 person out of 12 to see things differently and give him a second shot.

IMHO the only type of trial for DG was a jury trial.

MOO

It was court ordered that he see a psychiatrist as part of his release conditions. Garland spent four years obsessing about revenge, so no one kept him balanced during that time.

It was court ordered that he see a psychiatrist as part of his release conditions. Garland spent four years obsessing about revenge, so no one kept him balanced during that time.
Only until 2003. The court has no jurisdiction to order psychiatric care after the warrant date has passed.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Do we know that Garland was taking anti-psychotic drugs for ADHD, or for any other reason?

MOO

I agree. I don't recall any specific reason why he was seeing a psychiatriat so regularly, but I know they can prescribe any number of drugs that fit specific circumstances. These meds to not have to even be anti-psychotics. ADHD drugs are not (generally, at least) an anti-psychotic. Why he kept up such regular appointments for so long would indicate a serious, if not severe, disorder. However, it is possible he appeared in the office as being stable, got his prescription renewals, and went off on his merry way. But do we even know if he took his meds properly as prescribed?

Which all makes me wonder something? Did he have a legitimate drivers license? If he was on anti-psychotics it seems he would not be allowed to drive... is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme