Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 55s56 seconds ago
Resuming...again #Garland #yyc

I go back and forth on why he included Nathan in the plan. He either decided it would be torturous for Alvin to have to watch and know his grandson was murdered or he just wanted to eliminate Nathan as a witness.

or both. He seemed to relish in the torturous aspects.

Actually he can. If you look up ethics and judges it's quite clear that they are allowed to give opinions. View attachment 110087View attachment 110088

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

This seems to be a huge difference from US trials. In US trials at this point the judge just reads instructions and turns over case to jury to deliberate.

I am really surprised judge is walking through all the evidence again.

Would the judge cover anything the defense brought up as evidence if they would have brought anything or is it just what the prosecution covered?

Being from the States that is the biggest difference I have noticed in the two systems. It takes some getting used to if you are new, as I am, to how it's done in Canada.

Most of our TV shows and movies are American though, so sometimes even us Canadians don't get it right.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 48s48 seconds ago
Gates tells jurors "we're almost done" #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 1m1 minute ago
Jury now returning to hear the rest of Gates instructions to them on the law. #Garland

This seems to be a huge difference from US trials. In US trials at this point the judge just reads instructions and turns over case to jury to deliberate.

Would the judge cover anything the defense brought up as evidence if they would have brought anything or is it just what the prosecution covered?

It would be both.

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 54s55 seconds ago
Gates: going to summarize the theories of crown and defence in #Garland triple murder trial

He's covering both at the same time.

Raffy BoudjikanianVerified account ‏@CBCRaffy 37s37 seconds ago
Judge Gates now starts to summarize crown and defence positions on #Garland to jury.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 47s47 seconds ago
Gates reading Crown's theory: petty grudge, planned and researched Alvin and Kathryn Liknes #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 28s29 seconds ago
Gates now going over Crown theory #Garland held a years long grudge against Alvin and meticulously plotted his and his wife's death.

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 49s50 seconds ago
Crown theory: #Garland had a grudge for years against Alvin Liknes, and then incorporated Kathy into his plan

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 1m1 minute ago
Gates reads crown theory first-the words he's reading are from crown

I lean towards eliminating him as a witness too. And if that is the case I hope it was quick and as painless as something like that could be.

Agree. I am almost positive we saw an empty shell casing in the burn barrel ashes that was recovered. I am hoping DG used a gun and made it quick.

Its sad I have to wish he was shot. How crazy is this trial. :(

So if deliberations start tonight - how will we ever know how long the jury took to make a decision :( ? ?

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 20s20 seconds ago
Crown theory: when Nathan was found #Garland added him to his plan by forcibly confining him + killing him. #yyc

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 34s34 seconds ago
#Garland has sat with no expression on his face throughout the day (and most of the trial)

more crown theory-that #Garland broke into Liknes home, attacked them, took them to his farm killed, tortured, dismembered/destroyed bodies

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago
Crown theory:#Garland acted on his plan in early hours of June 30. Disabled them at home, moved to farm, torture, dismembered + burned them

Raffy BoudjikanianVerified account ‏@CBCRaffy 1m1 minute ago
Justice Gates reminds jury crown's position is that Douglas #Garland had years-long grudge against Likneses.

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
Crown theory: #Garland researched Liknes lock- broke into Liknes house by drilling lock

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 32s33 seconds ago
Crown theory: all three were alive when they left the Liknes home. Were tortured and killed at #Garland farm. #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 34s34 seconds ago
Crown theory: #Garland was lone killer - proved by when he attempted to return to farm alone. Had means, motive and opportunity #yyc

So if deliberations start tonight - how will we ever know how long the jury took to make a decision :( ? ?

Whatever time frame is given for the deliberations (like 9am-9pm for example) and they will notify all the appropriate parties to meet back in the courthouse at x time for the reading of the verdict.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 48s48 seconds ago
Theory of defence: no direct evidence he killed the Likneses and O'Brien. No evidence of #Garland at Liknes home.

Jurors are listening carefully...some are taking notes as #Garland goes through final instructions. Gates has spent hours detailing the case

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 44s45 seconds ago
"The theory of the defence is there is no direct proof Douglas Garland killed (the victims)," says Gates. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 52s53 seconds ago
Defence theory: Driver of green truck was never identified- as #Garland or otherwise. #yyc

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 57s58 seconds ago
Gates now reading defence theory-including that #Garland was eliminated from Liknes scene because no fingerprints DNA found

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago
Defence theory: Crown gave no conclusive evidence as to location of where victims were killed or if #Garland did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr J