Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was under weekly psychiatric care when he committed the murders, after being let off lightly for his previous crimes - not a good candidate for rehab. Plus, I doubt, in 25 years, he'll have any family left who'll advocate for getting him out.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Given what was found on his hard drive, it may be questionable whether vengeance or torture for its own sake was his initial motive. Could it be that he just wanted to find an object of torture, and the personal enemy provided the best candidate (if there was no fall out with Liknes, would he try to find someone else?)? Or did he become obsessed with torture only after the fall out and deciding to act on his grudge?

I also have been lurking since 2014 but have finally decided to register as I'll miss the community that has formed in the midst of this horrible tragedy. I have followed every thread since the beginning and truly appreciate the insight, time and energy that so many of you have devoted to this case.

I live in the same community as the O'Briens. Little Nathan isn't far from mind when you walk past the playgrounds he frequented or see the faded green ribbons that are still wrapped around trees and people's porches. 💚

It's been a little confusing today regarding the consecutive vs concurrent sentencing that is now available in Canada so I just wanted to clear something up for you. The jury did not and can not sentence DG. The judge simply asked for their recommendation (or opinion really). He will take their vote into consideration and decide what to sentence DG with tomorrow morning at 10am.

HTH :)

The jury was asked for a sentencing opinion.
That was on the news.
Given that the jury seems aware of consecutive sentencing law, I'm also wondering whether the jury is aware of rehabilitation in law.

I also have been lurking since 2014 but have finally decided to register as I'll miss the community that has formed in the midst of this horrible tragedy. I have followed every thread since the beginning and truly appreciate the insight, time and energy that so many of you have devoted to this case.

I live in the same community as the O'Briens. Little Nathan isn't far from mind when you walk past the playgrounds he frequented or see the faded green ribbons that are still wrapped around trees and people's porches. ��

Cougar Ridge ... and do your children attend the Catholic school like Nathan or were they part of the Waldorf School?

Was the playground near the T-intersection?

Originally posted by CentralAlberta : blood evidence
Thank you.

Revised Edition adding No Outside house
WARNING- THIS IS A LIST OF THE PLACES EACH PERSON BLED

****UPSETTING TO READ****

AL
Master Bedroom - large stain on floor, low to floor splatter on drum, TV, air conditioner, night stand.
Spare Room Door Frame - Large stain
Hallway from master bedroom to top of stairs - drag mark
Upper level Stair - drip and saturation
4th step (Bedroom to main floor)
Stairs from Kitchen to garage - stains
Stairwell Walls - staining
Area beside side door - Transfer, drips and saturation
Garage - splatter indicating AL was near floor

KL
Spare Bedroom - Large staining on right side of mattress, box spring and wall near floor, splatter on head board (medium to low velocity)
Door frame to spare room - drip, saturation, splatter on wall outside of door near floor
Closet Door - hand swipe (Mixed with NO)
Stairwell 2nd floor landing - hand swipe (Mixed with NO) Could these 2 be the same?
7 stairs from main floor to bedroom level - drip stains
Kitchen - fridge and drips on floor
Living room - stains
Tile in front entrance - drips
Stairs from Kitchen to Garage - stains
Stairwell walls - stains
Side Door - stains
Side Door to Front of Garage - drag stain
Front of Garage - large pool

NO
Spare Bedroom Bed - Drips
Closet Door - Hand swipe (mixed with KL)
Stairwell to Second Floor - Hand swipe (mixed with KL)
Outside house by hose - stain
Outside house - NO & KL

Blood TRransferac
Patio Doors - AL & KL
7 Stairs leading from Bedrooms to main Floor - KL
Wall Upstairs - KL & NO
Wall at top of Stair well - NO

Cougar Ridge ... and do your children attend the Catholic school like Nathan or were they part of the Waldorf School?

Was the playground near the T-intersection?

I'm a new mom so I'm a long ways away from having school aged children :) I am a teacher within the school district that Nathan attended and go to the Church where he was baptized and many vigils were held. Regardless of faith, this tragedy rocked our community in so many ways.

I'm unsure which T-intersection you're asking about? There are quite a few playgrounds around us. I know there is a memorial park bench at the park near his house on the eastern edge of the community.

I'm a new mom so I'm a long ways away from having school aged children :) I am a teacher within the school district that Nathan attended and go to the Church where he was baptized and many vigils were held. Regardless of faith, this tragedy rocked our community in so many ways.

I'm unsure which T-intersection you're asking about? There are quite a few playgrounds around us. I know there is a memorial park bench at the park near his house on the eastern edge of the community.

Understood.
Cougar Ridge has a lot of Waldorf people and Waldorf has nothing to do with faith, so I'm guessing it's the Catholic system where Nathan went to school. All schools are pretty much the same right, where children learn letters, numbers, and what to do with that.

Is the faith thing Catholic?

The T-intersection is at the end of the street where Nathan went to the playground - at the end of his street.
Paskapoo slopes are more important if you know Cougar Ridge.

I would be interested in knowing what DG's psychiatrist thinks. I'm sure the psychiatrist didn't have a clue this would happen, but did he/she have insight into DG's deviant personality, fetishes, grudges, obsessions, etc.

Just seems odd to me that DG would have to see a psychiatrist every week just for ADHD meds and checkup.

BBM

I wonder if it could have something to do with his past history with drugs. Medication for ADHD is often abused by people who don't need it, and it seems pretty easy to sell (to university students, for example). Maybe his psychiatrist felt more comfortable closely monitoring him, to try to limit the likelihood this was happening (assuming he was actually taking medication for it that is).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The jury was asked for a sentencing opinion.
That was on the news.
Given that the jury seems aware of consecutive sentencing law, I'm also wondering whether the jury is aware of rehabilitation in law.

Will the sentence be no parole for 75 years? There is very little precedent for a sentence like this, which makes it very likely that such a sentence will be appealed. Perhaps that is why the judge asked the jury for their opinion. Perhaps he knows that a 75 yr sentence will be appealed, and he is one step ahead by preparing evidence to justify a sentence of this length.

So what if he gets 50 instead of 75 years before parole? He'll have to live to 107.

Will the sentencing be reported also? What time does it take place?

Really? After the judge just explained all the evidence. What exactly do you imagine this person asking that would take hours to resolve?

Also, I would like to be clear I am not faulting this hypothetical person. As I have said, I think there are systemic reasons why people feel obliged to overthink what was clearly a slam dunk case.

I have nothing but respect for the jurors who heard this case. All of them.
In my post #304, I'm that hypothetical person! Everyone has different processing times and communication styles. Mine just happens to be slow. It's something I try to be self-aware about when dealing with others.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

A crime this severe does not bode well for rehabilitation. JMO

I have a feeling Gardner is going to feel imprisonment is suited to him. No more worrying what he would do if the parents were not there to give him a place to live and to feed him, no need for a job, access to books, etc. This may be all he needs now that he completed his fantasy life.

my question is whether he will be in general population (where others have access to cause him harm) or will he be kept more isolated?

Told ya's the verdict would come down when I was away LOL. I got caught up last eve. Thanks all. I was a bit too emotional to respond last night. Huge Thank You to Jade and Kamille for posting tweets.

A crime this severe does not bode well for rehabilitation. JMO

I have a feeling Gardner is going to feel imprisonment is suited to him. No more worrying what he would do if the parents were not there to give him a place to live and to feed him, no need for a job, access to books, etc. This may be all he needs now that he completed his fantasy life.

my question is whether he will be in general population (where others have access to cause him harm) or will he be kept more isolated?

Hey Spelly. IMO he will be segregated just as Bernardo, Williams and others are. I had a chance to talk with 2 folk who did a tour thru Kingston Pen. before it closed. They got to see Bernardo in his digs. Both stated he looks like a caged animal. He became quite agitated at the stare and turned away. Makes me happy. I agree this killer will adapt to his new digs. Most psychopaths do.

[video=twitter;832586099289518080]https://twitter.com/NancyHixt/status/832586099289518080[/video]

Told ya's the verdict would come down when I was away LOL. I got caught up last eve. Thanks all. I was a bit too emotional to respond last night. Huge Thank You to Jade and Kamille for posting tweets.

We were thinking of you and wishing you were with us Bravo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member