Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what makes you sure it's his acct? I see nothing in it to indicate it's his?
It was posted early on as being his, I only glanced at it initially. Now there is nothing to see it does make it hard to confirm that it is his.

His full name as stated in numerous news articles is Alvin Cecil Liknes so doesn't make sense he'd go by "AJ", IMO.

Unless he is an Alvin Jr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Everything above is JMO!

Some people have said that they were moving to Mexico, here's another neighbour that believed they were moving North

“Oh, really nice people, absolutely,” said Jennifer Lee, a resident in Parkhill. “They were just on their way. They were moving to northern Alberta, I understand.”

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/family-of...for-their-safe-return-1.1894397#ixzz36IzXaGpC

The fact that people that knew the couple heard that they were moving to two different places gives me the impression that one was moving North and the other was moving South. It wouldn't be the first time that a couple was splitting but kept up appearances. That there is blood at the house, and the Amber Alert states that the child may be with his grandfather, leads me to believe that there is a possibility that this was a domestic situation and that the grandfather may have fled with the child.

It wouldn't surprise me if money was at the root of problems. There's just something about the multiple business ventures, and oil/gas dabblings that seems more like "get rich quick" than solid business. One of the oil companies is a penny stock, which usually means raising cash, spending other people's money, and having no success.

Still, this is described by police as three people that left involuntarily. The family has said that although there are blended families in both generations, there are no issues. It's also possible that there are some issues, but that no one wants to say anything or point fingers.

What I'm thinking is that if a body had to be dragged out of the house, then this person most likely was mortally injured. A random person has no reason to remove a deceased person from the home. Removing a body is usually done when the perp wants to distance himself from the body. If there was a domestic situation and the husband intended to flee, then removing a body would hide evidence, confuse investigators, and buy time. The only way this works is if there was another vehicle that was not registered to the family or the address.

Did Alvin go by any other names?

I think its really strange that they didnt take down the yard sale sign after the sale. It makes it look like whatever happened occured that evening and not during the night, or next morning.

I think its really strange that they didnt take down the yard sale sign after the sale. It makes it look like whatever happened occured that evening and not during the night, or next morning.

There were selling large furniture pieces where a truck is needed for hauling. It's possible that they expected people to stop by on Monday/Tuesday to pick it up - so they left the sign up.

I have to wonder how many people bought furniture with a plan to pick it up later and now it's sealed in a crime scene. The house and contents all seem to belong to other people at this time. I wonder if they were paid up in rent.

Police/family have said that the house doesn't appear as it normally does, but why would it if most of the furniture has been sold.

The fact that people that knew the couple heard that they were moving to two different places gives me the impression that one was moving North and the other was moving South.

It seems quite possible to me that they were buying/had purchased homes in both northern Alberta and Mexico.

Some of KL's friends on FB with the surname Liknes are from northern Alberta (Edmonton, etc) so would make sense that they may choose to have a summer home near family there, and a winter home in warm Mexico.

And it may have just depended on which one of the couple neighbours were talking to as to which location was mentioned - maybe he was more pumped about living part of the year close to relatives in northern Alberta, but she was more excited about spending their winters in Mexico.

All just speculation, just want to offer a possible explanation, other than impending separation, for what appears to be different future plans.

Might be that it was just a really busy day (sale running til late afternoon, and reports of family visiting, etc) and that detail got overlooked? Particularly if they don't normally use the front door to come & go - maybe they use a side door day to day?

I'm in their approx. age range, and I know if I ran a sale with people in & out of my house all weekend, plus had family visiting off & on (which may have meant serving some meals?) and had one of our grandchildren staying over, I would be pooched by Sunday evening. JMO

Hi guys! Just as a sort of side note; my brother lives in a small town in upstate NY. A couple of years ago, an older gentleman put an add on (I believe) Craig's list, selling antiques. A couple came and looked and said if they were interested they would come back. And come back they did, the next day in a rental car, and he of course, answered the door as he recognized them from the day prior, and they killed him, stole what they wanted and basically were unable to be traced. The car was rented in fake names, and of course, no one recognized them. With these people having had a sale, who knows who may have been in the house. And just as an added note, be very careful when you advertise and agree to meet people. You never really know who people are. Scary thought, but we are living in very scary times, unfortunately. Thanks, Katt

A similar, but not fatal, incident happened to my mother and I years ago. We had a yard sale, in my grandmother's house after her death. The most valuable item, a genuine Tiffany lamp from the early 20th century, did not sell, and was in the living room. We went to bed, and overnight robbers came in through a basement window and helped themselves to the Tiffany lamp. We slept through it all.

It seems quite possible to me that they were buying/had purchased homes in both northern Alberta and Mexico.

Some of KL's friends on FB with the surname Liknes are from northern Alberta (Edmonton, etc) so would make sense that they may choose to have a summer home near family there, and a winter home in warm Mexico.

And it may have just depended on which one of the couple neighbours were talking to as to which location was mentioned - maybe he was more pumped about living part of the year close to relatives in northern Alberta, but she was more excited about spending their winters in Mexico.

All just speculation, just want to offer a possible explanation, other than impending separation, for what appears to be different future plans.

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that the grandfather's facebook page listed his home in Edmonton, while the grandmother listed her home in Calgary. Perhaps they were keeping a home in Edmonton for business and one in Mexico for vacation and they were going to be staying in one or the other place depending on weather and work.

If this was a criminal act by a stranger, then it is very strange. Why would a body be dragged out of the house, put in a vehicle and moved to another location? If someone was too injured to walk, then it is probably a situation of body disposal. If more than one person was involved, why was the body dragged and not carried? Carrying a body would ensure that there was not an 8 metre long blood trail. If one family member was injured an unable to walk, why weren't they all wounded/injured/murdered in the home and left there?

If police suspect the grandfather, I doubt that they will make that announcement as it would alert him that he is a suspect - which could lead to a murder/suicide where the child is injured as well.

Does anyone know if anyone in the immediate family owns one or more firearms? If this was a break-in during the night, is it possible let's say that the grandfather shot one of the robbers, and it is the robber's blood which could have been detected? In that case, it is reasonable that the wounded robber would have been helped out of the house by an accomplice. Hope this scenario is acceptable to the mods, purely conjecture.

Does anyone know if anyone in the immediate family owns one or more firearms? If this was a break-in during the night, is it possible let's say that the grandfather shot one of the robbers, and it is the robber's blood which could have been detected? In that case, it is reasonable that the wounded robber would have been helped out of the house by an accomplice. Hope this scenario is acceptable to the mods, purely conjecture.

A gun shot would have been heard all over the neighbourhood, so I doubt that a gun was used.

An 8 meter blood trail could mean that one person was dragged out of the home by one of the occupants, or that three people were dragged out by a stranger. If this was done by one of the occupants, then there must have been outside help in the form of a vehicle. If this was done by a stranger, then it makes no sense whatsoever that the bodies were removed from the scene.

I live in a basement suite and I wouldn't know of anything suspicious was happening to the people who live upstairs. I hear noises up there all the time. I would just think "oh, they're just being loud again..."

So true. I was living in a basement apartment in a newer house that wasn't really soundproofed well. The lady upstairs lived alone, and she was always banging things around, moving furniture, checking storage boxes. Whatever, she was the owner of the house. One morning I heard a thud, but I thought nothing of it. It turned out she had collapsed, fallen on the floor, and died.

In a normal situation, you would hear a loud thud and immediately call out to see if everything was all right. But when you get used to noise all the time...

It was mentioned earlier that they were going to stay with someone for a bit before leaving the country. Maybe they were heading north to stay with a family member before they left and that is the reason for the confusion of where they are going? MOO

reward amount to be announced today. They are expecting it to be around the 100K mark. http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/10...use-where-missing-calgary-trio-was-last-seen/

My guess is that police are going to discourage the family from posting a reward so soon after the disappearance, as it could lead to an awful lot of false leads and waste valuable police resources. In my opinion, the family should give police time to do the investigation. Additionally, posting a reward seems to imply that the family, although desperate for the return of their son, is convinced that this was a kidnapping where money is the objective. I'm not convinced of that.

So true. I was living in a basement apartment in a newer house that wasn't really soundproofed well. The lady upstairs lived alone, and she was always banging things around, moving furniture, checking storage boxes. Whatever, she was the owner of the house. One morning I heard a thud, but I thought nothing of it. It turned out she had collapsed, fallen on the floor, and died.

In a normal situation, you would hear a loud thud and immediately call out to see if everything was all right. But when you get used to noise all the time...

We get used to thuds, bumps, car doors closing, garage doors opening, but a gun shot would ring out and catch everyone's attention due to the rarity of that sound in a country where there are strict gun laws.

What would they have done with a large amount of money on the weekend? I can't imagine depositing a lot of cash into the night deposit box. I wonder if the daughter knows what their plan was for that, and if it's missing? Maybe they had a wall safe?

What would they have done with a large amount of money on the weekend? I can't imagine depositing a lot of cash into the night deposit box. I wonder if the daughter knows what their plan was for that, and if it's missing? Maybe they had a wall safe?

They would have had $2-3000 for the furniture and house hold items. It's not that much cash and could have been deposited in a bank machine.

My guess is that police are going to discourage the family from posting a reward so soon after the disappearance, as it could lead to an awful lot of false leads and waste valuable police resources. In my opinion, the family should give police time to do the investigation. Additionally, posting a reward seems to imply that the family, although desperate for the return of their son, is convinced that this was a kidnapping where money is the objective. I'm not convinced of that.

or the police know what happened already and agree with it... IMO.. Grandpa has the boy and is running with him.. So posting the award might bring in new tips as to where..

I wonder if they will alert Canada wide...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela