Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was born and raised in Calgary and everybody that lives here is pretty easy going and nice. So it doesn't surprise me that there wasn't any forced entry. I think the perp/perps either came to the door and asked to see the stuff that was for sale and were invited in with no issues even though it was late or like was said above they were at the sale earlier and said they needed to come back with a truck but could not come until late. If that was the case I'm sure it would have been fine with AL because of how easy going most Calgarians are. Then something went down probably an armed robbery for the estate money. Maybe AL thought he could over power one of the perps and something happened then. This is a weird case not sure why they would have taken the 3 family members maybe to hide evidence. I just hope that my fellow Calgarians are found safe and sound.

They could have simply walked in through unlocked door.
After all, the sign did say "come on in"

I am really surprised LE haven't put out a warning to the public to be cautious and keep their doors locked. Something, but they haven't. I know it's just common sense but still they usually do make a warning to the public if they believe there is a risk the perps may strike again. So do they not believe the perps are dangerous and could strike again? Do they believe this is an isolated incident and the Liknes' are known to the perps? Cases like this make people really leery and feeling vulnerable and understandable so. No longer are we able to trust people, not even in the comfort of our own homes. Lock all your windows and doors because as they say, "it could happen to anyone, anywhere". What a sad society we live in. MOO.

Interesting LE say there was no forced entry. That could only mean a few things. The perps entered the house during the sale and hid out somewhere in the house, the door was left unlocked, the garage door left opened, the perps got in through an open window or they showed up at the door and were let in or forced their way in.

Is anyone familiar with the location of the tall house from where LE retrieved surveillance? Is it close enough to the Liknes' home, logical to think that the the surveillance may have caught the green truck in the Liknes' driveway?

Here's hoping there is a major break in this case over the next couple days and the loved ones get answers. Praying for a happy ending for the three missing and their family.

KL added a whole bunch of FB friends in May and June (a new one even shows for June 30th). Do you think the local LE would automatically check those all out? IMO - there were a couple that would peak my interest in finding out what connection brought them together recently.

According to that linked article ^^ (scroll down to 1987), Ford didn't bring in the wrap-around parking lights until 1987 .. I know the Calgary pic is blurry, but I don't see anything at the front corner of that vehicle that looks like wrap-around parking lights:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1...e.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_225/image.jpg

It looks like the vehicle could be from 1987-1993. That's a 20 year old vehicle that is apparently in great condition, so it could be a vehicle that someone has kept in a garage for the last 15 years.

But they would had to have been dead to have been in the bed of a pick-up truck. How else could they be "controlled". And why take dead bodies ... not like they can be of any further use. (Sorry to sound crass ... can't think of a nice way to say that) :(

One possibility is that the abductor wanted something from the family, something that was not at the house. As leverage, one person was injured - perhaps the grandmother. The next leverage would be a threat against the child. At this point, the grandfather perhaps did whatever he was told, and the two were taken somewhere. The truck driver was back at the house a couple of times at least (several times?). The back of the truck looks empty in the still shot that has been released by police, but there might be other still shots that show something in the back of the truck.

The truck looks like it has something on the front of it, similar to a plow?

Is there a smaller window behind the driver door window?

I'm looking at one online and trying to figure out if it is the same model.

TIA

Trying to catch up, so sorry if already mentioned.

The video of the Green truck taken from a neighboring tall house with a high-end CCTV camera, was taken in DAYLIGHT.

Someone posted that is it night from about 10PM to about 5:30AM. The still shot could be from dawn, and the image lightened to make it easier to identify the truck.

A regular cab does not have seats in the back.

Ok thanks :)
I'm not a truck person, so I don't know much about them.

On the truck topic: there was a truck that fit the description at the Sobeys in Okotoks. Our assistant front end manager actually had to go out into the parking lot to see if was the truck. Turns out it wasn't.

We don't have a time on that video WG, but the shadow in front of the truck looks pretty long. Someone earlier figured out where the truck was in that pic, so if we can figure out what direction it was going on the street, might help figure out a time.. IIRC, in the presser Sgt Andrus said a couple of times that the vehicle was seen numerous times the "night" of the incident.

ETA: If it was taken from that tall house across the street, then it would have been heading eastbound with the sun in the west behind it causing the shadow in front of the truck. Seems like it would have been around sunset?

The truck is heading West.

They would know right off if one of the three bodies found in the burnt vehicle was a child right?

The truck is heading West.

The truck appears to be passing a sporty white vehicle, the same sporty white vehicle that was parked in the same location in 2012. The owner must live there?

I wonder if police believe that they will find the 3 alive because there was not enough blood to confirm a killing had taken place. If this person wanted to kill the three of them , he would have right then and there. You would think? So why take the 3 of them? There was a struggle no doubt but they were forced to leave their home and they took them alive. I say alive because police said the amount of blood was medical distress on that person, not as if a death had recurred. So do police think this person is not capable of killing them? Because the person would have done that and didn't?

I think that someone wanted something and whatever it was, it was not at the house. Perhaps one grandparent was injured at the house and two people were taken away, perhaps one grandparent and the child were left at the house with one of the perps while one other was taken somewhere else. I suspect that by the end of the night, there was no reason to leave anyone alive. I suspect that at least one person was killed at the house and dragged to the back of the green truck.

I am really surprised LE haven't put out a warning to the public to be cautious and keep their doors locked. Something, but they haven't. I know it's just common sense but still they usually do make a warning to the public if they believe there is a risk the perps may strike again. So do they not believe the perps are dangerous and could strike again? Do they believe this is an isolated incident and the Liknes' are known to the perps? Cases like this make people really leery and feeling vulnerable and understandable so. No longer are we able to trust people, not even in the comfort of our own homes. Lock all your windows and doors because as they say, "it could happen to anyone, anywhere". What a sad society we live in. MOO.

Interesting LE say there was no forced entry. That could only mean a few things. The perps entered the house during the sale and hid out somewhere in the house, the door was left unlocked, the garage door left opened, the perps got in through an open window or they showed up at the door and were let in or forced their way in.

Is anyone familiar with the location of the tall house from where LE retrieved surveillance? Is it close enough to the Liknes' home, logical to think that the the surveillance may have caught the green truck in the Liknes' driveway?

Here's hoping there is a major break in this case over the next couple days and the loved ones get answers. Praying for a happy ending for the three missing and their family.

After looking at Google Maps, I came to the conclusion that the truck is photographed at the end of the block where there are trails leading to the river, so it is directly West of the house. The camera is on the large building that is under construction on the South side of the road.

The truck looks like it has something on the front of it, similar to a plow?

Is there a smaller window behind the driver door window?

I'm looking at one online and trying to figure out if it is the same model.

TIA

It looks like a grill to me. People have those if they drive in deer country.

You guys may already know this. Regarding Barrie - three bodies found in burnt vehicle

"Police have released few other details, but confirmed to CBC News that the case is not connected with that of the three family members who went missing earlier this week in Calgary. "

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/3-burned-bodies-found-in-car-near-barrie-1.2696939

If this is a good confirmation that it was not the Liknes and Nathan, I can take a deep sigh of relief.

Just about to post the same thing, no connection to this case.
From your CBC link..

"Police have released few other details, but confirmed to CBC News that the case is not connected with that of the three family members who went missing earlier this week in Calgary. "

The same location has been the scene of a criminal investigation before when, in 2002, a Toronto couple were found dead in a field just off the road. They had been beaten and shot."

I still think that the answers might be in the bankruptcy file.

I think we can be sure that the person with the truck, assuming that is the perp, was not interested in stealing the house contents ... since the back of the truck appears empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur