Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being there was an estate the hours leading up to this, wouldn't they have quite a bit of cash on hand?

If it was a ransom scenario, perhaps the estate sale money was only a couple thousand dollars which isn't a lot knowing that there could be more funds available from family collectively since we really don't know the families true financials. Just thinking out loud.

One of Garland's companies, Ranchland Equipment Ltd., was an importer of Zinc Phosphide.

I'm not sure what other uses it would be for, but, it's main use appears to be for killing rodents.

This is a recent company, btw. From CHEMNET

Ranchland Equipment Ltd.
Mr. Douglas Garland

http://www.chemnet.com/Global/Offer-to-Buy/Zinc-phosphide-260509.html

Zinc phosphide is typically added to rodent baits in amount of around 0.75-2%. The baits have strong, pungent garlic-like odor characteristic for phosphine liberated by hydrolysis. The odor attracts rodents, but has a repulsive effect on other animals; birds, notably wild turkeys, are not sensitive to the smell. The baits have to contain sufficient amount of zinc phosphide in sufficiently attractive food in order to kill rodents in a single serving; a sublethal dose may cause aversion towards zinc-phosphide baits encountered by surviving rodents in the future.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_phosphide

There had to be something or someone worth the risk or motive to enter the home and have an outcome such as this.

From CBC
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...terest-has-criminal-past-new-charge-1.2698107

"CBC News has learned police have charged him with stealing the identity of Matthew Kemper Hartley — a 14-year-old Alberta boy killed in a car crash in 1980."

"Garland told the court at the time he had been traumatized after causing what he described as a horrific accident after falling asleep behind the wheel."

Does anyone else find it to be a curious coincidence that the identity DG assumed is of a boy killed in a car crash, and that he has admitted to causing a car crash?

There are too many coincidences in this case, although nothing seems to add up at this point.

Exactly otto. Why have they not brought forth the reward perhaps because they realize from LE likely futile?

When the family mentioned a reward the day after the family members vanished, police had to ask for time to do their jobs ... to hold off. They did, and the reward announcement has been postponed.

Well, my career in weather forecasting may be short - lived as we did actually get some storm activity this afternoon with very heavy rain (sky is still dark and thundering over Airdrie). Hoping no evidence was destroyed. :-(

Whats the masks for? Smell of death?

If you are walking in a farm in Alberta through a field with has grass four feet high, chances are that you will be breathing in a combination of allergens: dust, pollen, mold and spores, not to mention tiny instects, or the droppings of various animals. It makes sense to me to wear an Allergy and Asthma relief mask to filter out the pollution.

i can remember reading early on in the media that the grandparents son arrived at the house not long after the scene was discovered.....he arrived because he was suspicious that his parent were not answering the phone. i haven't seen his name mentioned since. could this be partner of DG's sister?

i cannot find the link so asking for help from other users here.

found the link - i was incorrect - AL's brother arrived at scene on monday morning for the reasons i mentioned above

http://www.highrivertimes.com/2014/06/30/calgary-police-search-for-missing-boy-and-his-grandparents

From CBC
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...terest-has-criminal-past-new-charge-1.2698107

"CBC News has learned police have charged him with stealing the identity of Matthew Kemper Hartley — a 14-year-old Alberta boy killed in a car crash in 1980."

"Garland told the court at the time he had been traumatized after causing what he described as a horrific accident after falling asleep behind the wheel."

Does anyone else find it to be a curious coincidence that the identity DG assumed is of a boy killed in a car crash, and that he has admitted to causing a car crash?

There are too many coincidences in this case, although nothing seems to add up at this point.
How painful for the family who lost their two children in the accident in 1980 to relive this again. So heartbreaking and cruel.

There had to be something or someone worth the risk or motive to enter the home and have an outcome such as this.

An unpaid debt would be enough of a motive under the circumstances, but we don't know enough about the bankruptcy claim to know who was owed money.

I'd like to draw out a family tree. This is getting confusing to see who is related to who and who married / divorced who and how it is all related. I had a feeling right at the time of the family press conference that the family knew more than what was stated. JO seemed to be in too much of a trance and did not seem to have the appropriate emotional response like what RO had. I think they knew a lot more at the time of the press conference. I hope we will learn a lot more in the next week.

On another note, I went to high school with JN, the neighbour. His place was the last place on our bus route and he is still living at the same family farm. JN was 2 years younger than me, and no one from the property in question rode the bus with me during the time I rode the bus, so it means that DG would be at least 5 to 6 years older the JN. For that reason, I don't think it is unreasonable for them to have lived as neighbours for 40+ years and not really know DG, especially given JN's career and being on the road so much, and DG living in Vancouver for so many years. I have looked through all my high school year books and have found no reference to the G last name.

On the last thread, there was some mention about AL and his patent for some process in oil and gas and that another company has registered another patent based on AL's patent and since then AL has registered a couple of other patents. The basic theory being that there could be a dispute over the patent. I can't find reference to those patents again, but I was thinking if those patents have anything to do with what DG's business does and if there isn't something that might be linked between the patents and the businesses. The whole think about "following the money" always seems to be the reason for incidences like this, so could there be a link between the patents and businesses? Who ever posted about the patents, could you look into a possibility of a link?

Just catching up as was busy all day.

Now that the Calgary Herald has put out all the dots that are connected and released a pic of DG we know what he looks like. At the presser that Nathan's parents spoke at they were surrounded by family. Has anyone checked the footage to see if DG was there?

There is much speculation about money being at heart of whatever transpired, but given the web of interconnectedness between these two families, could it not be something of a more personal nature which is at the root of it all?

Perhaps AL was interfering in the relationship of his son and DG's sister, or something along those lines?

The estate sale wasn't the trigger event because of the money, but because it meant that the grandparents were leaving shortly, and it was one of the last opportunities to discuss or deal with an issue.

I have no theories, just trying to stay open to the possibilities.

I'm just wondering.. Why is now POI's name released ? It is because he is related to family ? Because he is charged for something else, or LE may have evidence that they are not releasing ? Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper