Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or are both of their voices 'shakey'? They both sound like they are going to breakdown at any moment.

I think they are exhausted and annoyed with the media pressure. IMHO

What did he mean by "Until were satisfied that there is nothing in that property" Does that mean they haven't found anything there yet?"

I think they are exhausted and annoyed with the media pressure. IMHO

I don't think you will ever hear of a missing persons case that does not want media pressure. When people are talked about, they are still in the news. I would not want the media silent if one of my loved ones was out there missing. Just my opinion. Chatter = pressure. Pressure = results.

It's their job. I do hope , though that all officers are receiving debriefing on this case on a daily basis. They need the psychological help to get through this.

News1130 ‏@News1130radio 1m
#Calgary Police say Douglas Garland's (person of interest) sister is a common-law spouse of a member of the Liknes family. #BringNathanHome

I don't think you will ever hear of a missing persons case that does not want media pressure. When people are talked about, they are still in the news. I would not want the media silent if one of my loved ones was out there missing. Just my opinion. Chatter = pressure. Pressure = results.

It's their job. I do hope , though that all officers are receiving debriefing on this case on a daily basis. They need the psychological help to get through this.

You don't usually have the incident commander do media briefings. The RCMP has their own media person.

:banghead::banghead:
I think, because of the scarcity of new information, denial of speculation and general airy-fairyness of this presser, I think I have to walk away and get on with my life...

Notes from press conference:

-LE is trying to practice a delicate balance to provide info to public without jeopardizing the investigation itself or any future potential court case
-confirms the property is still being searched "until no stone has been unturned"
-confirms again that the ford truck was removed from the property on the weekend
-LE still trying to confirm any relevance/connection of the truck to amber alert
-amber alert is still in affect and LE is seeking public assistance
-can not speak about the POI as he is not charged and has been released from custody related to this investigation.
-amber alert will stay open as long as tips continue to come in
-"absolutely" still hopeful family is alive and LE has no indication to suggest anything other than them being alive.
-says that yes the signs of violence is a concern about the family's wellbeing but not conclusive enough to say they aren't alive

another officer (Garrett Woolsey) steps in

-When an area being searched changes quickly like it did yesterday, it could be based on changing priorities and not necessarily new information. they just follow the instructions from the investigative team on where to go.
-says there's no specified search area size near Airdrie and that will change as priorities change as well
-keeps reiterating that they are looking for evidence related to missing persons, not bodies.

original officer comes back

-LE is being thorough by assessing any unidentified item found
-searched the slough simply because it was in the area
-some found evidence has been sent to the lab with results already determined and they are determining relevance of these items to the case
-crime lab is putting a priority on this case
-says the investigation is moving forward
-says there are other investigative leads to follow up on and DG is not the only person of interest LE is looking at, but then kind of mumbles later "no there isn't another person of interest".... (direct contradiction???? anyone else notice this)
-says there is a "loose family connection" and can not confirm if AL and DG were business partners
-won't comment on who the blood belonged to at the Liknes' home
-says 88 out of about 200 people from the estate sale have come forward and still would like others to come forward
-says the focus on the Airdrie property is just follow up to finding the truck there and LE wants to be thorough and since it's such a large area it will take time.
-says it's still not a 100% confirmed that the truck found at the property is the vehicle seen on CCTV and are still asking the public for tips related to this vehicle
-says DG was "somewhat cooperative"

second officer (Garrett Woolsey) steps in again

-confirms there have been sighting reports in Brooks and they are trying to follow up any sighting from all locations.
-says its important to give LE breaks and proper food and hydration while searching Airdrie property in the heat

first speaker steps in again:

-a number have items have been seized from all search areas and have been sent to the crime lab. Says items are frequently coming and going from the property to the crime lab but won't comment on any findings so far.
-says tips and sightings have been coming from all across Canada but they have not been able to confirm a positive sighting so far.

CTV feed just cut off.

OK just logged in today to listen to the live presser. Do not know what I've missed today as I haven't followed yet today BUT just now I heard someone ask something to the effect of how's the family doing? and he answered something along the line of they are devastated by the loss... What loss? Is he just referring to the missing family members AL, KL and NO or did he slip up? What am I missing from today? As soon as I heard what he said I right away assumed he was saying the three victims are deceased. Huh? MOO.

I am not watching. I do not know what an incident commander is. My response was to you stating that they may be shaky because of the media pressure.

I asked before, do they know 100% the green truck seen at the scene is DGs?

Working closely with the crime lab. Will not discuss what items have been retrieved. They have some results back and awaiting on others.

Amber Alert tips have been coming in across Canada, but no positive/confirmed sightings of the 3. No business relation that they know of, only family...the common law marriage between DG's relative and the Liknes family member.

...and I just lost my feed.

My first post ... I don't find it odd at all that CL go to AL's home after not being able to get a hold of him. Last year I got a call from my mother-in-law's best friend on Canada Day because she couldn't get a hold of her by phone and said it wasn't like her. I thought she was being paranoid since it was Canada day and she was likely out. I checked on her anyway and found her dead of a massive heart attack in her back yard. Sometimes people just know the habits of others well enough to feel when something is wrong. My husband passed away suddenly last year as well and I had a foreboding feeling all week and when I couldn't get a hold of him at home I knew right away that something was really wrong even though there was nothing leading up to it that would have made me suspicious and sent someone to check on him

Hope my post was in line with TOS and okay :)

So sorry for your losses PrincessButtercup :rose: and welcome to WS

I can agree with you too from my own personal experiences. It's happened to me twice, first my Nanna, then my Mum. No answer when calling, I just knew something was badly wrong, so I went straight over, and I was right. Nanna had passed away suddenly and Mum had a major stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper