Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! New user here, drawn in by this case being a mother to two young boys myself and a Canadian.

I didn't catch the press conference today but from the transcript above they mentioned possible sightings in Brooks AB and tips coming in across the country. From my recollection, this is the first time they have mentioned potential sightings? Can someone confirm that?

Yesterday, it seemed almost a foregone conclusion that this was a "recovery" investigation given the intensive forensic search. Now I'm not so sure, and am wondering again about the family (and especially NO) still being out there somewhere.

Without speculating on motive though, how long can one realistically keep a child in their company with an active Amber Alert still ongoing? I mean, you couldn't exactly be going out in public or anything. And what would a potential captor be waiting for at this point, if it is such a situation?

The whole case is really perplexing and I just can't even imagine the horror the family is going through.

Partial Quote by KittyMeow:

I don't think there was much blood.
I am going to sit on my hands to avoid a mod snip.

JMO

Dave Dormer
Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 2:46 PM

"Drag marks could be seen near evidence tags on the walkway of a home where three people were reported missing Monday.

Police would not comment on the drag marks, which ran about eight metres from a side door to the driveway and appeared to be a dark liquid that was recently cleaned up."

http://m.torontosun.com/2014/07/01/...lgary-grandparents-and-young-boy-went-missing

I meant to quote my last post with the picture of the end of the street and the Elbow pathway.

I have a theory after reading all the latest sleuthing;

Firstly; DG's parents by now would have heard about the search of their land and their son in jail. Even if he has done something wrong why haven't they contacted either the police or come home? Are they keeping DG in jail to see if maybe his parents are missing too? seems an awfully longtime for them to not respond.

However, and secondly, I now think DG has been framed; maybe someone else has posted this too, pologies. AL would know that his street has CCTV, and he would also know info on DG. Did AL call DG after the fact of doing something, knowing that DG would drive around thusly becoming person of interest numero uno? knowing that DG had no leg to stand on in defense?

It's so troubling and sinister that I find myself avoiding the news altogether.

JMO

I interpreted "medical distress" as lots of blood but they can't come out and say with confidence that someone is dead. Unless you are getting at something else....which I am misreading. :)

I wonder if LE got his DNA at the house since he had arrest history, it would be in the system. LE saw his truck and proceeded to get the SW. But I could be wrong.

Does Canada have a DNA system? Anyways, with the amount of traffic that went through that house in the days leading to the disappearance, "hundreds" of DNA samples are to be had. JMO.

Is there a possibility something happened to NO accidentally within the home and both KL and AL panicked?

One my first original thoughts... Casey Anthony comes to mind. Sorry to all who dislike that name.

If it was #1 on the priority list how long would it take to get DNA evidence back?
My apologies if this has already been addressed. It was reported that it would take appx. a week.

Side note: Although the RCMP closed three of its labs, private labs can still be utilized. The gov't always has a list of contractors departments are allowed to use.

JMO
Agreed, in photos on MSM where JO is shown leaving the home of AL and KL, she removes the blue slip on shoe covers and there is no evidence of blood on them. Similarly there is a grouping of these shoe covers on the front porch step and I do not see blood on those either. The photo was July 3rd.

http://cache2-thumb1.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/docserver/getimage.aspx?file=10322014070400000000001001&regionKey=lBuFn30iNCvoBlQV%2FoZBiQ%3D%3D

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/07/06/calgary-police-search-property-in-airdrie-after-person-of-interest-arrested-in-missing-family-case/

They have been really tight lipped about the family's past - so surprised to hear this is the first of a former employee talking about anything to do with AL given his numerous business dealings. Where are KL's co-workers or business partners too? So strange... it's like they are cardboard people so little is being said about them - is this because they have a strong suspicion this all links back to some revenge plot? Why is so little being said about them personally?

BBM~ Because at this point, they are victims. JMO

If you ran and jumped the wire you would fall about 15 feet and tumble for a good 50 feet more and then come to a soft landing on asphalt about 12 feet below that. It is a steep valley of cliffs and trees.

Are you referring to the trees at the end of the block?

Makes sense. DG's role as a chemist could have been useful in the grand scheme of a petroleum exploration venture. Lab hours can be contracted at facilities used by freelance chemists. Maybe he was involved in testing samples, falsifying results ? If results were falsified ...... (just speculating) - there would have been plenty of angry people looking for someone to blame.

Someone mentioned the possibility of mob involvement - the HA is pretty well established in Calgary, with strong (purported) links to real estate and cocaine running, ie. Lindsay Buziak. http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=a2657721-2de9-4785-aa89-7d3894f6f54e

BBM ~ Very possible, IMO. I think there are more to the business going ons from within, and usually, when things are hushed and rushed, it's quick and dirty for a reason. JMO.

Another spin - maybe AL was paying back a debt with the money from the estate sale, and the debtor felt it wasn't enough or a fight ensued.

The list of people the company or the Liknes' may have owed money too is obviously at the top of the list, and this is not new information, this is just newly confirmed what many have suspected since the beginning.

LE has known this since the beginning no doubt.

Makes sense. DG's role as a chemist could have been useful in the grand scheme of a petroleum exploration venture. Lab hours can be contracted at facilities used by freelance chemists. Maybe he was involved in testing samples, falsifying results ? If results were falsified ...... (just speculating) - there would have been plenty of angry people looking for someone to blame.

Someone mentioned the possibility of mob involvement - the HA is pretty well established in Calgary, with strong (purported) links to real estate and cocaine running, ie. Lindsay Buziak. http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=a2657721-2de9-4785-aa89-7d3894f6f54e

And, Lindsay Buziak as well since she was showing a house in real estate.

Dave Dormer
Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 2:46 PM

"Drag marks could be seen near evidence tags on the walkway of a home where three people were reported missing Monday.

Police would not comment on the drag marks, which ran about eight metres from a side door to the driveway and appeared to be a dark liquid that was recently cleaned up."

http://m.torontosun.com/2014/07/01/...lgary-grandparents-and-young-boy-went-missing

If this is the case, then it would not be NO because he was small enough to carry versus having to be dragged. Even KL is not a large women and could easily be carried by a male person.

Does anyone know if AL and his brother are identical twins?

My apologies if this has already been addressed. It was reported that it would take appx. a week.

Side note: Although the RCMP closed three of its labs, private labs can still be utilized. The gov't always has a list of contractors departments are allowed to use.

The results may well be in the hands of investigators, but there's no reason to release that information to the media.

DG is still in custody correct? For charges related to the fake ID? I got the impression from the presser today that he was still a POI in the case, but being held on charges unrelated.

Agree. With luck and coincidence, blood typing test could suggest which one(s) blood was found, but not necessarily. But how long for a marker such as gender?

I'm not a forensics expert. However, to see if the blood is XX or XY I would think that would come with the DNA analysis. I assume that is being done and they took swabs from the family so they can match up what they have.

I wonder of DG consented to be swabbed.

New National Post/Christie Blatchford article points out that DG previously had weapons and assault charges against him:

The decisions note that one charge for possession of a prohibited weapon was dismissed in 1988, another withdrawn in 1999, while an assault charge was stayed in 1989.

And theft:

He was belatedly tracked down — in Richmond, B.C., where he had also been arrested in connection with a stolen tractor-trailer — in 1999 only after Calgary RCMP put him on its most wanted list on the web.

And he got off easy:

He pleaded guilty to two drug-trafficking charges in January of 2000 and was sentenced to 39 months in jail, though in fact, because of the accelerated release program, he appears to have served only between six and 10 months.

Despite what the board described as “weapons and assault charges” that might indicate Mr. Garland, then 40, could commit a violent offence, it concluded his age, the fact he’d never been convicted for violence and a psychological assessment that found he had little potential for violence offset that.

Board members were concerned by his “20-plus years” of property offences and contributing “mental issues”

The "horrific accident" may have never happened:

Yet some who knew Mr. Garland in those days say they never heard of him being involved in such an accident.

And finally he may not have had a breakdown in school but in fact, have been kicked out for cheating:

[DG] had studied science at the University of Alberta but was expelled after being caught cheating

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...dparents-has-well-honed-sense-of-entitlement/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoohoo27