Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either missing a cog or thinks he's above the law. He also continued to use that dead child's identity even after serving time for the charge. Could mean either of the two.

Or both of the two.

JMO again, but I think he thought of something he realized he had to get to and it was so important that he took the risk.

I worry about his chemical knowledge and hope that he wouldn't try to use drums of acid, etc., to dissolve their bodies (it's been done before).

Murder charges are expected to be laid today in the disappearances of a Calgary boy and his grandparents, more than two weeks after they went missing.

Police have re-arrested a man who had been a person of interest in the mysterious disappearance of five-year-old Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents Alvin and Kathryn Liknes, and he’s now facing three murder charges, despite no bodies being found.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/14/douglas-garland-person-of-interest-in-calgary-familys-disappearance-back-in-custody

Come on guys, I know we are all very upset by this horrible news, but that doesn't mean you get to personalize your posts.

It makes me completely ill that this is the outcome. I was so hoping and praying for better than this.

I think we have to stop talking about why Nathan was left with his grandparents. There will be what if's cast by the O Brien family for years to come. What may have been a split second decision has cause this family to lose their treasured son and brother.

She has lost her son and her mom and step dad now, that is just. plain. awful.

My children will be at their grandparents tomorrow. Should something God forbid ever happen, the same judgements could be made about my choice to leave mine there.

May the Likeness and the OBrien family at some point find peace. I have them in my thoughts. I am gutted for them.

FYI, continuing to call a non-murderer a murderer is technically libel. If the victims pop up tomorrow, or the POI is eventually charged and found not guilty, he'll own your house.

If someone is eventually convicted, you'll have years to scream about them, but doing so now is illegal (and also against board rules)

Although we have fairly sound evidence the DG being re-arrested and it relates to this case, I want to point out to you that we all have rights and freedoms, we are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. I believe that regardless of past or present behaviours are not indictitive of future behaviour.

With my extended heart felt sympathy to the Liknes and Obrien families we must not forget that the extended family of DG will be suffering as well.

I wonder if PG gave the tip about the truck? She would/should be able to recognize her own brother's vehicle. And since she was pictured on the poster they made, there can't be hard feelings towards her. Maybe she was the tipster. JMO

Do any locals know if there are any internet cafes or libraries with access not too far from the victims' home? I have a feeling interesting google searches may have been done by their killer - who I am sure is a local - but not on his home computer. I hope LE have checked if he has a library card and if it has computers. And Surveillance tape.

Let's remember that JO has lost her son, mother and step father, and questioning why NO was there isn't really helping anything.

Not only has JO lost her family members but she's lost the world view she used to have. I know that life is never the same after a horrific crime touches your family.

I don't believe the L's could have predicted this fate; all reports pointed to how much they loved their grandson, they would never have put him in harm's way. IMHO

Court starts at 2PM, so the suspect is probably in court right now waiting to hear those charges.

So I assume that DG must have committed this crime bc of the dispute over the patent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I assume that DG must have committed this crime bc of the dispute over the patent?

Unless there is a guilty plea (which I doubt) we won't know for years why or how this happened. Can't even assume this as the name of the murderer has not been released. Hold tight, it will be happening soon.

Not only has JO lost her family members but she's lost the world view she used to have. I know that life is never the same after a horrific crime touches your family.

I don't believe the L's could have predicted this fate; all reports pointed to how much they loved their grandson, they would never have put him in harm's way. IMHO

Great post Daisy, worth repeating!

Do any locals know if there are any internet cafes or libraries with access not too far from the victims' home? I have a feeling interesting google searches may have been done by their killer - who I am sure is a local - but not on his home computer. I hope LE have checked if he has a library card and if it has computers. And Surveillance tape.

This is a good suggestion. My counter-post is that DG, under the false/stolen identity, had worked in chemical labs. Chances are he already knew what needed to be done to the blood. His knowledge of the land area would also be sufficient.

Unless there is a guilty plea (which I doubt) we won't know for years why or how this happened. Can't even assume this as the name of the murderer has not been released. Hold tight, it will be happening soon.

Oh! So they haven't even said that its DG that they arrested?

I guess the best I can hope for is their suffering wasn't long and drawn. Sadly. And of course that their bodies are recovered. It's still a shock when we hear the harsh reality. I always say it takes the heart awhile to catch up to what the head already knows.

Hoping LE has a better understanding of motive than we do. We can speculate but there's no clear motive known to the public...to my knowledge their patent "dispute"
isn't even that well understood but it's a possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members