Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Police said Friday there was evidence a “violent crime” had occurred in the Liknes home.

“I would say somebody would be in medical distress,” Staff Sgt. Doug Andrus told reporters.

Andrus wouldn’t say blood was found in the home
, but said forensic investigators are working to determine who might have suffered injuries there."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014/07/05/21786581.html
So, we do not know what has been found at the home?

No wonder why we are getting out of control.

I want to know who is charged for these 1st and 2nd degree charges.

Hello, I haven't posted anything until now. Your're an amazing bunch of people! Tears are streaming down my face. I have 2 boys and I cannot fathom the pain that JO, RO and the whole family is going through right now. Money is never worth this. My heart just aches for them... my prayers for them will not cease. [emoji22]

Welcome to Websleuths ! :welcome:

If anyone is curious about the floorplan of the house, this is an approximate layout of the main floor (that I put together) including one level down in the four level split. I believe that bedrooms and bath would be on the top floor, and furnace, perhaps another bedroom, would be on the bottom floor. This shows the relationship between the front entrance and the side door.

There was no smoking gun.

"Our Forensic Crime Scenes Unit has been absolutely meticulous in going over the scene and any piece of evidence we have. This file has been built piece by piece by piece by piece. If somebody out there is thinking that there's one piece that's the smoking gun, one piece of information that has led to a break in the case, I'm here to tell you that has been a compilation of an immense investigation. And, during the course of this investigation, every day the investigators have met and discussed the information--the new information, the new leads, the new evidence--and assessed that information relative to this file."

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...algary-30-June-2014-8&p=10750599#post10750599

Well through the years I have been very disappointed with the light sentences given to people who commit heinous crimes. Canada is known to be extremely liberal. In this case I have a feeling that Crown has enough evidence to charge DG with the 2 counts of 1st degree murder (Premeditation, intent to kill) and the 1 count of 2nd for NO, even though their bodies have not been found. (rare case) JMO

I know first hand as a very good friend of mine and her new BF were murdered by her ex BF. Crown charged him with 1st degree murder however after the defense chewed through the evidence it was then reduced to a 2nd degree charge when he was finally convicted. So...they must have something very strong to support the charges.
Wee Nathan was just there at the wrong time.

My heart is so heavy since hearing the press conference news and I've had a few bouts of tears about this today… Came straight home from work and hugged my 2 year old child so tight. No family deserves this, it's gut wrenching :( I hope the family feels the support from all the people who have been hoping and praying for them, I hope they get some sort of closure to help them heal in time. Bless them all. Peace be with Kathryn, Alvin and the beautiful angel boy Nathan.

My heart is so heavy since hearing the press conference news and I've had a few bouts of tears about this today… Came straight home from work and hugged my 2 year old child so tight. No family deserves this, it's gut wrenching :( I hope the family feels the support from all the people who have been hoping and praying for them, I hope they get some sort of closure to help them heal in time. Bless them all. Peace be with Kathryn, Alvin and the beautiful angel boy Nathan.

I think that many people across the country are completely shocked by these murders, with even the Prime Minister sending his condolences.

This is the quote by Brookwell in the Calgary Herald that I am referring too. It has not been retracted or updated to report an error, but that could be.. I don't know.

3. They still consider the disappearance a missing persons case.

Police remain optimistic that they will find Nathan O’Brien and the Liknes couple alive.

“We have no indication whatsoever to indicate anything other than that, so the investigation continues,” Brookwell said. He acknowledged that the violent struggle that occurred at the Liknes home before the disappearance is “a concern,” but said police remain hopeful.

Here is the link to article: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...Amber+Alert+police+update/10011825/story.html

Thank you. Because I am not subscribed to this online paper, I am blocked from reading it...... Does it quote any LE spokesperson actually using the word blood?

Thank you. Because I am not subscribed to this online paper, I am blocked from reading it...... Does it quote any LE spokesperson actually using the word blood?

No it does not. I thought the link would take you there. I had to prescribe today.. .99cents for 1-month.

Also.. Brookwell is LE

That particular article does not contain the word blood, but it also doesn't reference the medical distress statement.

I PVR'd all the news channels tonight... going to watch, will be back in the am...if not sooner. I still have hope, I have to because I just want to believe in some form of relief for this family. My faith is tested that is for certain.

I agree they were murdered in the house, probably in their beds while they slept.

They never even had a chance to defend themselves. :(

Sadly, not the case: "Police have said the home bore signs of a violent struggle." This is what makes it so horrifying when trying to imagine the scene.

Why didn't their house alarm go off?

They were moving and sold or will sell(?) the house, so is it possible they had recently removed the alarm system?

Someone noticed, and commented, very early on that the lights were still on in the house the day that the disappearance was discovered.

Would like to know the source and clarification. Was it a neighbor who saw the light on at night, or just someone seeing the light on the next morning? If the latter, could be JO or LE turned on the light after the disappearance?

If anyone is curious about the floorplan of the house, this is an approximate layout of the main floor (that I put together) including one level down in the four level split.

Another great job! (Btw where did you find the info about the floor plan? Was it just a guess of the general situation?)

For those who haven't seen it: the drag marks on the driveway, at 0:59~1:05

Re the "incident" at the hotel after which DG was asked to leave: could it be that he told the hotel he had no cash/credit card to pay for the stay and "needed" to go get money? (wonder how he paid the $750 for the bail)

Global Calgary News 11pm
- expected Garland will be formally charged in the next hour
- still asking land owners to check their property
- steady stream of people at Liknes home to light candles

Nancy Hixt @NancyHixt · 4m

Breaking: Douglas Garland being taken to see a justice of the peace #yyc

Bsj2CSGCEAEdQT-.jpg

https://twitter.com/NancyHixt

OMG! Garland doesn't look old or frail at all!!!!

He looks strong, healthy and completely capable of physically dragging bodies!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Global just had breaking News, Garland was formally charged and they had a video of him being led away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfcortez8